30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

[quote name='merkman']Personally, I've found Panasonic products iffy over the years. Requiring replacement long before my Sony products do.

No self-respecting person has a bit of Sony? What kind of Shaq-fu'ing comment is that? Clearly your looking for a fight, or just an ass from time to time. Pretty rude IMHO.

Whatever your problem with Sony, why don't you just step off your soap box and chill. After all, my main reason for coming to this thread was to thank the original poster for the information, and explain how excited I am to get a new TV. Instead, I seem to be in a bitching war. And that certainly isn't what I come to CheapAssGamer for.

So pardon me while I go play Xbox or PS2 on my Sony TV. Or maybe I'll go play a game on my Sony PSP, if I don't feel like listening to music or watching a video. After all, Sony does make more products than many companies combined, and many of them ROCK![/QUOTE]
Sony makes some good products, and some really bad ones. Sony's low to mid end stuff is usually pretty horrible for the price. WEGA's are pretty good but cost a lot.

Sony makes some nice stuff but they make some absolute crap too, just know which one it is you're getting beforehand.

I took the dive and just purchased one. I should be getting this and Doom 3 for the xbox about the same time. I can't wait. It will be a day of gaming in HD that will live in infamy!! Great deal on the tv and great deal on doom 3 CE($42 shipped) courtesy of another CAG(KowHunta).

What I can't figure out is why they give the $465 unit also in their refurb sales section such great features, and then barely list anything for the set we bought? Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like out set is nearly identical. Maybe they just want to make what I assume is a "newer" set seem more appealing. Maybe I'll do more research this morning, but then again... the $359 unit is ordered and presumably on it's way soon. So... ehhh.

So has anyone actually received this set yet? I'll be interested to hear how helpful the delivery folks are. I can move it, but I'm not gonna be home when it arrives (more than likely). Someone will be there to open the door, so as long as they bring it inside... all will be well. ;)

I guess I need to buy some component cables. Any suggestions on good deals folks have found? My buddy got some Python cables like these... http://store.pchcables.com/pycovircain.html from Buy.com. They were only $11 for a 10 foot cable, and a toslink cable is added as a 4th cable on the "set". Pretty good deal if shipping wasn't $7! :( PCH Cables are good folks that helped me when I needed cables for a computer project 6 months or so ago. And their shipping is simply what THEY pay, so they get top marks in my book! :)

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Thats why you have the option to delete the post[/QUOTE]

I would rather read it from dafoomie than you.

[quote name='merkman']What I can't figure out is why they give the $465 unit also in their refurb sales section such great features, and then barely list anything for the set we bought? Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like out set is nearly identical. Maybe they just want to make what I assume is a "newer" set seem more appealing. Maybe I'll do more research this morning, but then again... the $359 unit is ordered and presumably on it's way soon. So... ehhh.[/QUOTE]
The difference is, this TV is the 850H, the other one is the 8502. The 8502 is the newer model, with additional features such as an HDMI input, and you can pick 16:9 or 4:3 with a 480p source. And the case is a little different. I don't care about HDMI, but being able to select your aspect ratio with 480p would have been nice. Not $100 nice though, and I doubt I would have needed it anyway.

Gotcha. Well it sounds like we're gonna have a nice set. I wonder where the hell I'm gonna put it? The old entertainment center won't fit a 30" Widescreen TV. ;)

Anyone decided on a "stand" for these? Does Philips even make one?

[quote name='merkman']Gotcha. Well it sounds like we're gonna have a nice set. I wonder where the hell I'm gonna put it? The old entertainment center won't fit a 30" Widescreen TV. ;)

Anyone decided on a "stand" for these? Does Philips even make one?[/QUOTE]
I need one myself, and I'm looking. But there doesn't seem to be a lot thats cheap.

[quote name='merkman']Sony's are crap? Now you're stepping on my toes. I've used Sony TV's, walkmen, Telephones, Speakers, and more for 20+ years. And there is no way Sanyo TV's can beat a Sony WEGA.[/QUOTE]

I feel bad for you. You're one of those people who pay a premium for a brand name product that isn't any better than lower priced alternatives from other manufacturers. Sony was once the leader when it came to quality, but no more. Now you're just paying for the Sony badge.

Personally, I use Mitsubishi/NEC for my monitors and VCR's, Samsung for my television sets, Panasonic for my DVD players and, yes, Sony for my HT sound system. The sound quality isn't the best, but it was the cheapest home theater sound system in a box that fit my needs.

It's taken years to figure out which company could be trusted in each portion of my entertainment center and computer desk, but it's worth it.

The moral of the story -- if all of your electronics are made by the same company, then you aren't using your head to find the best products on the market. No one company makes the best of everything. Do a little homework and put together the best combo. It'll look like Frankenstein, brandwise, but you'll get better results.

[quote name='dafoomie']I need one myself, and I'm looking. But there doesn't seem to be a lot thats cheap.[/QUOTE]

IKEA would be a good place to start. Even open box ones from CC and BB and Tweeter.

I have been sitting here for an hour deciding if I should take the plunge. My current game TV is a Panasonic 32" Tau. I really would like a HD set for my Xbox games,but given I have a pretty nice set right now spending an extreme ammount on a HD 16x9 is something I can't bring myself to do.
Does anybody think this a good set strictly for playing 16x9 HD games? I'm also looking toward using it for Xbox 2/360.

[quote name='videodrone']I have been sitting here for an hour deciding if I should take the plunge. My current game TV is a Panasonic 32" Tau. I really would like a HD set for my Xbox games,but given I have a pretty nice set right now spending an extreme ammount on a HD 16x9 is something I can't bring myself to do.
Does anybody think this a good set strictly for playing 16x9 HD games? I'm also looking toward using it for Xbox 2/360.[/QUOTE]
Panasonic Tau's aren't bad. But, keep in mind, this TV does not support 720p, and that is rumored to be what MS wants a lot of games to support for Xbox 2. I don't know if it can upscan that to 1080i, or if you'll just have to run games in 480p. But 480p will be the minimum.

[quote name='videodrone']I imagine that sets that support 720p are crazy expensive right now?[/QUOTE]
No, most do, but a lot of these smaller CRT's don't.

You'd still have 480p and 1080i, 720p is the middle one of the three in terms of resolution. If you're using Comcast, you don't have to worry about TV broadcasts, the box will upscan it for you into 1080i. But you'll have to run the Xbox at 480p and 1080i and disable 720p, most games today do 480p, but they want more to support both 480p and 720p for Xbox 2, and 1080i if they can.

Went to IKEA, but didn't find anything I particularly liked. At the moment, I'm leaning toward a "entertainment center" made by tech craft. But they didn't carry it at my local Video Only where they have some Tech Craft products. I'm at the mall & could check CC, but I think I'll pass.

So CAN we disable 720 on an Xbox, but leave the other two modes on?

[quote name='dafoomie']The difference is, this TV is the 850H, the other one is the 8502. The 8502 is the newer model, with additional features such as an HDMI input, and you can pick 16:9 or 4:3 with a 480p source. And the case is a little different. I don't care about HDMI, but being able to select your aspect ratio with 480p would have been nice. Not $100 nice though, and I doubt I would have needed it anyway.[/QUOTE]
Hold the phone now...You can't choose 4:3 if you want to use 480p? I don't even see how they can screw buyers of the TV like that, if true. Going down the list at http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm for example, if I were to play, say, Prince of Persia: WW on the PS2, I would either have to play it in 480p stretched out to 16x9, or give up the progressive scan to play it in it's proper ratio? Are there any ways around this, that anybody's found? Still a decent deal, but it could present a pretty big problem if I wish to play any titles like this, or watch films or TV shows in 4:3 (which I watch quite a bit of!) Sigh, there's always a catch, isn't there?

[quote name='modium']Hold the phone now...You can't choose 4:3 if you want to use 480p? I don't even see how they can screw buyers of the TV like that, if true. Going down the list at http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm for example, if I were to play, say, Prince of Persia: WW on the PS2, I would either have to play it in 480p stretched out to 16x9, or give up the progressive scan to play it in it's proper ratio? Are there any ways around this, that anybody's found? Still a decent deal, but it could present a pretty big problem if I wish to play any titles like this, or watch films or TV shows in 4:3 (which I watch quite a bit of!) Sigh, there's always a catch, isn't there?[/QUOTE]
TV isn't a big deal since they do the black bars if you're in 16:9.

I don't know what the deal is, but I'll find out when it gets here. I think theres a way around it.

[quote name='modium']Hold the phone now...You can't choose 4:3 if you want to use 480p? I don't even see how they can screw buyers of the TV like that, if true. Going down the list at http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm for example, if I were to play, say, Prince of Persia: WW on the PS2, I would either have to play it in 480p stretched out to 16x9, or give up the progressive scan to play it in it's proper ratio? Are there any ways around this, that anybody's found? Still a decent deal, but it could present a pretty big problem if I wish to play any titles like this, or watch films or TV shows in 4:3 (which I watch quite a bit of!) Sigh, there's always a catch, isn't there?[/QUOTE]

HD programs that are 4:3 will have grey bars on the sides so the forced widescreen won't effect your OTA digital tv watching. I've found though that for most games, even if they are 4:3 and stretched to wide it doesnt bother me that much. watching 4:3 dvds is the most annoying.

[quote name='Milkyman']watching 4:3 dvds is the most annoying.[/QUOTE]

Easiest solution to that is to just not buy fullscreen DVDs.

[quote name='mmn']Easiest solution to that is to just not buy fullscreen DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Exactly I only buy WS DVD's unless it's a TV season boxset. -_-

But come on man Pansonic and Mitsubishi/NEC are your GODS! You can't deny NEC deserves undying praise for the Turbographx and console hardware as well as Panasonic for being Sony's great rival. Me? I'll buy a Panasonic over a Sony product any day of the week since I love stabbing those scumbags in the wallet. Yes I admit this is partially because I'm bitter about kids like them and MS not being in a market I think they belong in. Video games are a Gentleman's Club and I don't want some vagrant PUNKS butting in where they never belonged. If they truly contributed something more viable gameswise and understandingwise maybe I'd give a day. Ahhh for the days of Sega and Nintendo, video game companies focused on that, video games and not selling a console as a fucking home entertainment center.
Anyway, as part of this deal is there a quality cheapass sounder decoder that will take DVI or HDMI in it as well as support Dolby Pro Logic II?
Also quick question about HDMI. Why does the industry care? I thought Component already solved the copyright problem when RGB provided the perfect picture and they made Componant it's bastard child.
My quick end thoughts now, I'm picking up a Samsung Neosound or Premiere at 32" online since these are also the only places that seem to stock them and can someone tell me the definitive differences between the two series? My only gripe I think will be the weight and the fact it has DVI instead of HDMI which means I may need to use it as a backup in the future which reminds me...does anyone make a DVI cable for the Gamecube?
Some info you might like about Philips HD. At the Target site with the Philips HD listed there, I don't know if it's THIS model, but at least one or two people complain about having some line scan thing showing up when DVD's are displayed in 480p. Just thought all of ya'll might want to know.

[quote name='mmn']Easiest solution to that is to just not buy fullscreen DVDs.[/QUOTE]
yup i was talking about old tv shows like dark angel.

Broke down today and ordered. Don't need it, but it's a good price. I went and looked at the set today at BB and was pretty impressed.

[quote name='videodrone']Broke down today and ordered. Don't need it, but it's a good price. I went and looked at the set today at BB and was pretty impressed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they still sell these at BB, CC, and Target for $700, though its now discontinued. You can probably take a look at one at any of these places if you're uncertain.

[quote name='bignick']Is that one really worth $250 more?[/QUOTE]
OTA tuners generally cost 300 bucks or so new, and this one appears to have it built in.

[quote name='Milkyman']OTA tuners generally cost 300 bucks or so new, and this one appears to have it built in.[/QUOTE]

OTA signals are usually crappy, and not worth it.

[quote name='DX']http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/televisions/digital/index.cfm?productID=904

This si the one Im gettin soon.[/QUOTE]

I own that TV and its not very impressive, Ihave a set top antenna and live 15-45 mins from all of the HD broadcating towers and the signals really suck. Unless you can put a antenna on the roof its not worth it. Also the picture never really looks right with anything other then the HDTV signals (which work for a couple of minutes and then get spotty). It also lacks a picture centering option like you have with every computer moniter so the picture on the screen, which ended up being an issue because the borders on the left and right of the screen were off by about an inch. Ultimately when my philips shows up, this is getting returned

[quote name='hutno']I own that TV and its not very impressive, Ihave a set top antenna and live 15-45 mins from all of the HD broadcating towers and the signals really suck. Unless you can put a antenna on the roof its not worth it. Also the picture never really looks right with anything other then the HDTV signals (which work for a couple of minutes and then get spotty). It also lacks a picture centering option like you have with every computer moniter so the picture on the screen, which ended up being an issue because the borders on the left and right of the screen were off by about an inch. Ultimately when my philips shows up, this is getting returned[/QUOTE]
The TV itself has a fairly good reputation, but the OTA tuner is not very good. I don't think most people would even want an OTA tuner, most people have cable or satellite, and they give you their own tuner. If you don't have cable or satellite, you're probably not going to buy an HDTV.

If you're having problems with the picture, you might try the service menu. There should be instructions here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=435721&pagenumber=1

But if you're like me, you're probably more interested in saving the $250.

At Walmart today they were selling the Philips 30 inch widescreen for $600 open box. I took a minute to check out the picture and play around in the menu - the TV looks great. The picture wasn't that good, but probably because its Walmart pumping out their non HDTV channel over it and it being split 30 ways with all the other TVs there.

Definitely a deal if you're getting it $200 cheaper than at Walmart.

[quote name='bignick']OTA signals are usually crappy, and not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Blame the moron's who decided on the U.S. standard for HDTV. The European standard is supposedly better AND cheaper from what I heard. The U.S. probably went with this shittier standard to force people onto Cable and Satellite. I mean after all some of us might have actually been CONTENT getting a perfect picture with just an Antenna and no Cable or Satellite. I want Dish TV with their Hi-Def kit myself though.

[quote name='Sarang01']Blame the moron's who decided on the U.S. standard for HDTV. The European standard is supposedly better AND cheaper from what I heard. The U.S. probably went with this shittier standard to force people onto Cable and Satellite. I mean after all some of us might have actually been CONTENT getting a perfect picture with just an Antenna and no Cable or Satellite. I want Dish TV with their Hi-Def kit myself though.[/QUOTE]
Are you kidding? Europe is years behind. They just got HDTV in 04. Most European countries, including the UK, won't even have OTA HDTV until analog broadcasts are gone.

Yes, its easier to get a signal in DVB (European standard) than it is in ATSC (US standard), but ATSC handles interference better, and it handles co-channel interference (the non-hd broadcast on the same channel), much better. And the increased transmitter power DVB needs would interfere with regular broadcasts, ATSC co-exists much better with regular broadcasts. The European standard would be impossible to impliment in the US even if we wanted to, because the TV band here is so congested.

Sorry for the hostility, but I'm sick of Europe having a better standard than us. PAL can go to hell.

[quote name='dafoomie']My TV shipped today (Monday), carrier is a company called Eagle Logistics. estimated arrival is between the 5th and 12th.[/QUOTE]
Ah, good to hear, good to hear. Hope mine ships sometime soon. I bought myself a decent little TV stand at CompUSA and Component cables for Xbox and PS2 tonight. Rubbing my hot little hands together in excitement. :mrgreen:

[quote name='dafoomie']My TV shipped today (Monday), carrier is a company called Eagle Logistics. estimated arrival is between the 5th and 12th.[/QUOTE]

make sure they have a phone number wher you can be reached easily.

Stand at CompUSA? Wouldn't have thought of that. Still having trouble finding one I like, but I'll check them out online and see what I find.

I ordered the phillips tv. Can you guys recommend any component cables to use with an xbox and surround sound? Any advice would be appreciated for a HDTV newb.

[quote name='Pratt75']I ordered the phillips tv. Can you guys recommend any component cables to use with an xbox and surround sound? Any advice would be appreciated for a HDTV newb.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, check out EBAY for a Monster THX (not as expensive as the normal MONSTER) component cable or Python (just got one and it works fine). You should be able to get them cheap on there. If you want to buy in store, just get a Acoustic Research from Best Buy....I try to buy a cable with a little thickness to it.

You will also need the HDTV component pack for your XBOX. It will have an OPTICAL output for sound....you will need to use this if you want to get 5.1 sound. It's the only way to play the XBOX ;)

[quote name='Pratt75']I ordered the phillips tv. Can you guys recommend any component cables to use with an xbox and surround sound? Any advice would be appreciated for a HDTV newb.[/QUOTE]
The Xbox High Def AV Pack comes with component cables, those'll work just fine. But you'll need to buy an optical cable for surround, don't pay more than $10 for that.

When did you place your order dafoomie?

[quote name='dafoomie']The Xbox High Def AV Pack comes with component cables, those'll work just fine. But you'll need to buy an optical cable for surround, don't pay more than $10 for that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again dafoomie for the great advice. It is much appreciated.

I think I picked up an AR one at Best Buy....most will do just fine. You just have to be careful not to crimp these.

Also, the component cables that come with the HD pack are not the greatest....but I still use them. I may upgrade to a thicker grade of cable eventually...but they are fine for now.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']When did you place your order dafoomie?[/QUOTE]
Friday.

[quote name='doubledown']Also, the component cables that come with the HD pack are not the greatest....but I still use them. I may upgrade to a thicker grade of cable eventually...but they are fine for now.[/quote]
They're not that bad though, there certainly wouldn't be any difference on only a 30 inch screen. But, if you don't mind spending a little more, there are much better cables to be had.

[quote name='Pratt75']Will any optical cable do the trick or will one perform better than others?[/quote]
Just about any will be fine. You can get an optical cable for under $10 shipped anywhere.

[quote name='doubledown']That's what I use for my optical cable...at least one of them. I'm sure you can get better ones. Also...I'm assuming you have a digital receiver, correct?

Be sure to get the length you want also....there may be some cheaper ones on EBAY too.[/QUOTE]

I bought a surround sound system about 6 months ago. I think(I sure dam hope so) I remember seeing a spot on the reciver for digital output. I will have to double check when I get home.

bread's done
Back