30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

[quote name='jam3582']Well all CRT based tvs as high as 36 inches that are HDTV dont support 720p ,its how they CRT is based that it cannot do 720p they will upconvert the signal to 1080i so only if you are a videophile would you notice the difference between them . So if anyone is gonna get this tv for the new generation of systems then it should be fine.Now if Microsoft announces support for 1080p then some people might wanna wait if they have really care about the resolution .[/QUOTE]

Well 720p > 1080i So, if Xbox 2 is 720p I want a tv that supports 720p

[quote name='peteloaf']Just wanted to let everybody know that it's back in stock!!! I just ordered mine![/QUOTE]

It is most definitely back!!
Just got my order in a fewminutes ago too.

[quote name='Indiana']Well 720p > 1080i So, if Xbox 2 is 720p I want a tv that supports 720p[/QUOTE]

that could be right, but usually its a personal preference . Videophiles will argue with that some will want 1080i more so than 720p and vice versa so its a personal prefence. Now if the xbox next will support 720p why wouldnt it support 1080i or 1080p . Its better to wait for the official announcement first . Now Id go for 1080p because yes 720p is good but 1080i has more lines of resolution so . Like I said personal preference . So the only way any one will get a tv that supports 720p is if they buy a rear -projection (DLP,LCOS,LCD) tv , LCD, or plasma and as we know those tvs are a little expensive and dont display the best possible picture especailly compared to a excellent CRT HD tv. The solution that Dafoomie has put here is for people who want a cheap way to go HD on their games , nuttin wrong with that .

[quote name='jam3582']that could be right, but usually its a personal preference . Videophiles will argue with that some will want 1080i more so than 720p and vice versa so its a personal prefence. Now if the xbox next will support 720p why wouldnt it support 1080i or 1080p . Its better to wait for the official announcement first . Now Id go for 1080p because yes 720p is good but 1080i has more lines of resolution so . Like I said personal preference . So the only way any one will get a tv that supports 720p is if they buy a rear -projection (DLP,LCOS,LCD) tv , LCD, or plasma and as we know those tvs are a little expensive and dont display the best possible picture especailly compared to a excellent CRT HD tv. The solution that Dafoomie has put here is for people who want a cheap way to go HD on their games , nuttin wrong with that .[/QUOTE]

true dat...........true dat!!! Speak on it!!
Plus now I can put off spending $2 grand on a bigger TV I was almost going to buy this weekend . This won't beat it but it is better (HD) than my current tv and it saves me a whole lot of money.

Edit: this TV supports 480p, 720p, & 1080i and it isn't DLP,LCD or plasma. But it still costs about $1000 at it's cheapest.

[quote name='Santurio']true dat...........true dat!!! Speak on it!!
Plus now I can put off spending $2 grand on a bigger TV I was almost going to buy this weekend . This won't beat it but it is better (HD) than my current tv and it saves me a whole lot of money.[/QUOTE]

I just got in on it as well.

I figure while Im still in an apartment this will be great, and when I finally do get a big machine, this will make for a great 2nd tv.

[quote name='guyver2077']what are your totals coming out to guys? and is anyone worried that its factory reconditioned?[/QUOTE]

23.34$ tax in Minnesota. Im a little worried about the refurbishedness of it all, but went for it anyways.

[quote name='jam3582']Only CRT's tube based, direct view TVs. LCDS ,plasmas have no problem and if im correct DLP, LCOS and LCD rear-projection do support that resolution without having to upconvert it .if you have a tube thats 55 inches then that means its a rear-projection tv ( is your TV a DLP,LCOS,or LCD rear-projection TV?) . I dunno if rear-projection televisions support or dont support 720p . All i kno is that CRTS dont support it cause it has something to do with the way those tvs are made Im not to sure the reason but I remeber reading it on cnet ,so u might wanna check there. What game do you have that supports 720p I kno there are very few that do ? Oh read your manual it might have all resolutions listed that the TV supports.

EDIT:I dunno of a different type of tv be it DLP.LCOS.LCD,Plasma,LCD rear-projection that upconverts 720p to 1080i only CRT's also I kno this is true for Broadcast , dunno if its for gaming as I dont have my HDTV yet to test it out but im pretty sure it would.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to try it and see if it upconverts....I know MX vs ATV is 1080i and that looks great. I think MVP 2005 is 720p, so I'll try that. I guess I'd have to enable the 720p on the XBOX dashboard. I doubt it will upconvert....but it might, since ALL my High Def cable channels are 1080i (and some are broadcasted in 720p....I think)

Yes, my TV is a 55" RPTV Mitsubishi.....So, it's a bigassTV :)

[quote name='doubledown']I have yet to try it and see if it upconverts....I know MX vs ATV is 1080i and that looks great. I think MVP 2005 is 720p, so I'll try that. I guess I'd have to enable the 720p on the XBOX dashboard. I doubt it will upconvert....but it might, since ALL my High Def cable channels are 1080i (and some are broadcasted in 720p....I think)

Yes, my TV is a 55" RPTV Mitsubishi.....So, it's a bigassTV :)[/QUOTE]

please let me know if it does, did you check ur manual to see if it supports 720p for broadcast channels because I think regular rear-projection tvs can display it just not CRTs. Imma try and look into it , I wanna know if we can upconvert game because you can upconvert DVDs also if u have an HDMI enabled DVD player and an HDMI port on ur tv . So heres hoping

The following items where included in this order:
------------------------------------------------
Model # : 30PW850H99
Product Description : 30 in Widescreen Real Flat HDTV
Unit Price : $ 359.00
Quantity : 1
Total Price : $ 359.00

Subtotal : $ 359.00

Tax : $ 17.95
Shipping Total : $ 0.00

Total : $ 376.95

:cool:

[quote name='PhrostByte']The following items where included in this order:
------------------------------------------------
Model # : 30PW850H99
Product Description : 30 in Widescreen Real Flat HDTV
Unit Price : $ 359.00
Quantity : 1
Total Price : $ 359.00

Subtotal : $ 359.00

Tax : $ 17.95
Shipping Total : $ 0.00

Total : $ 376.95

:cool:[/QUOTE]

aint that a bit%# tax on mine was like $27.00 and a $8.00 recycling fee WTF

[quote name='BADAIM']aint that a bit%# tax on mine was like $27.00 and a $8.00 recycling fee WTF[/QUOTE]

You live in California WTF.

Idiot.

[quote name='jam3582']please let me know if it does, did you check ur manual to see if it supports 720p for broadcast channels because I think regular rear-projection tvs can display it just not CRTs. Imma try and look into it , I wanna know if we can upconvert game because you can upconvert DVDs also if u have an HDMI enabled DVD player and an HDMI port on ur tv . So heres hoping[/QUOTE]

Actually I thought the only limitation was that regular rear projections could not do 720p. You needed a DLP or LCD rear projection. I thought the CRTs could be capable of any resolution but it sounds like the manufacturers are being cheap and not including 720p.

[quote name='jam3582']that could be right, but usually its a personal preference . Videophiles will argue with that some will want 1080i more so than 720p and vice versa so its a personal prefence. Now if the xbox next will support 720p why wouldnt it support 1080i or 1080p . Its better to wait for the official announcement first . Now Id go for 1080p because yes 720p is good but 1080i has more lines of resolution so . Like I said personal preference . So the only way any one will get a tv that supports 720p is if they buy a rear -projection (DLP,LCOS,LCD) tv , LCD, or plasma and as we know those tvs are a little expensive and dont display the best possible picture especailly compared to a excellent CRT HD tv. The solution that Dafoomie has put here is for people who want a cheap way to go HD on their games , nuttin wrong with that .[/QUOTE]

Actually videophiles should prefer 720p. There is no flicker with fast moving pictures. The only thing that will look better on 1080i is a still picture.

[quote name='Indiana']Actually videophiles should prefer 720p. There is no flicker with fast moving pictures. The only thing that will look better on 1080i is a still picture.[/QUOTE]

8-[

[quote name='Indiana']Actually videophiles should prefer 720p. There is no flicker with fast moving pictures. The only thing that will look better on 1080i is a still picture.[/QUOTE]

yes they should but its like a I have been reading all over the internet mixed feelings about it me personally id prefer 720p. But if you have the money and the patience and you wanna go for a big screen id say wait for E3 and wait for the announcement of xbox 2 hopefully the mention support for 1080p which is better technically then both 720p and 1080i. I have also read that its 720p is just something that CRTs just cant do since they really dont have a native resolution like the new technology does.

[quote name='jam3582']please let me know if it does, did you check ur manual to see if it supports 720p for broadcast channels because I think regular rear-projection tvs can display it just not CRTs. Imma try and look into it , I wanna know if we can upconvert game because you can upconvert DVDs also if u have an HDMI enabled DVD player and an HDMI port on ur tv . So heres hoping[/QUOTE]

Well, XBOX does not UPCONVERT from 720p to 1080i on my TV at least. Although, I only have component inputs on my TV....no HDMI. The TV is probably a good 3-4 years old though. It's a WS-55087 (I think)

Oh well, we'll see what the next gen systems look like....I know 480p still looks great on my TV...so I'm content.

[quote name='jam3582']yes they should but its like a I have been reading all over the internet mixed feelings about it me personally id prefer 720p. But if you have the money and the patience and you wanna go for a big screen id say wait for E3 and wait for the announcement of xbox 2 hopefully the mention support for 1080p which is better technically then both 720p and 1080i. I have also read that its 720p is just something that CRTs just cant do since they really dont have a native resolution like the new technology does.[/QUOTE]

Just saw this thread and it's a great deal on that Philips 30" set (w/ free shipping, too).

I don't think any direct-view tube TVs can do the full 720p. Most tube TVs don't have more than 600-800 lines of resolution, so the full 1280 lines of 720p isn't shown. BTW, 720p is essentially 1280x720 resolution. 1080i = 1920x1080 (interlaced, of course).

I have an LCD TV that is native 1280x720 and I really cannot tell the difference if the signal is 720p (ABC-HD) or 1080i (NBC-HD). However, if you have a set that can do better than 1280x720 resolution, 1080i can start looking better than 720p. Even though it is interlaced, 1080i has a lot more information than 720p (I've never seen scan lines on 1080i but I guess they are there somewhere unless sets do something to enhance it). Newer TVs are starting to come out with 1920x1080 and can accept the 1080p format as well. I saw the new Sony Qualia TV and the picture was stunning - I believe it was just 1080i, not 1080p, but the difference was significant. Of course, that set was much bigger than mine, so it might have been the grandeur of the unit instead of the actual resolution wowing me more.

[quote name='lurknomore']Before looking at the brand name alone...look at who specifically makes the television set. Most tvs nowadays are rebadged. If we went on name alone, everyone would own a a crappy Sony tv....and everyone knows that Sony no longer makes quality tvs, HD or not, high end and consumer level. I assure you that the Sanyo destroys the Philips. Take a look and see the quality.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Consumer Reports lists Sony as far and away the highest quality HDTV on the market. I paid the $5 to access the site for a month, and Sony's sets own all others in terms of quality.

[quote name='Mook Williams']Actually, Consumer Reports lists Sony as far and away the highest quality HDTV on the market. I paid the $5 to access the site for a month, and Sony's sets own all others in terms of quality.[/QUOTE]

thats funny so did I :applause:

[quote name='doubledown']

Well, XBOX does not UPCONVERT from 720p to 1080i on my TV at least. Although, I only have component inputs on my TV....no HDMI. The TV is probably a good 3-4 years old though. It's a WS-55087 (I think)

Oh well, we'll see what the next gen systems look like....I know 480p still looks great on my TV...so I'm content [/QUOTE]

damn that sucks imma try one of my xbox games then cause the description of my new tv says it can do that heres hoping . Im curious what game did you try and could you try that same game on 480p ?

[quote name='jam3582']thats funny so did I :applause:

damn that sucks imma try one of my xbox games then cause the description of my new tv says it can do that heres hoping . Im curious what game did you try and could you try that same game on 480p ?[/QUOTE]

I tried MVP 2005.....the screen basically just goes BLUE (on my TV at least) but the sound come through fine.

Oh well.....my next TV, which will be a few years away will have it all. This TV is just FINE.

[quote name='jlkeeton']Just saw this thread and it's a great deal on that Philips 30" set (w/ free shipping, too).

I don't think any direct-view tube TVs can do the full 720p. Most tube TVs don't have more than 600-800 lines of resolution, so the full 1280 lines of 720p isn't shown. BTW, 720p is essentially 1280x720 resolution. 1080i = 1920x1080 (interlaced, of course).

I have an LCD TV that is native 1280x720 and I really cannot tell the difference if the signal is 720p (ABC-HD) or 1080i (NBC-HD). However, if you have a set that can do better than 1280x720 resolution, 1080i can start looking better than 720p. Even though it is interlaced, 1080i has a lot more information than 720p (I've never seen scan lines on 1080i but I guess they are there somewhere unless sets do something to enhance it). Newer TVs are starting to come out with 1920x1080 and can accept the 1080p format as well. I saw the new Sony Qualia TV and the picture was stunning - I believe it was just 1080i, not 1080p, but the difference was significant. Of course, that set was much bigger than mine, so it might have been the grandeur of the unit instead of the actual resolution wowing me more.[/QUOTE]

If a CRT tv cannot do more than 600-800 lines then 1080i would be useless! There are 1,080 lines in the picture! 720p should have a much brighter picture than 1080i. Due to 720 scan lines being done versus only 540 with 1080i.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXP3076WHX/XAA

This samsung CRT supports 720p and 1080i.

Here is a description of why 720p is better than 1080i.

http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

[quote name='Indiana']If a CRT tv cannot do more than 600-800 lines then 1080i would be useless! There are 1,080 lines in the picture! 720p should have a much brighter picture than 1080i. Due to 720 scan lines being done versus only 540 with 1080i.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXP3076WHX/XAA

http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm[/QUOTE]
You go ahead and pay $1000 for that Samsung, I'll live without 720p for $359.

Your point is 100% correct, I would much rather have 720p, its the superior format, and Xbox 2 will most likely use it. However, there are smaller standard definition TV's that cost more money. If you've got the money to spend, you can certainly do much better than this TV. But this is pretty good considering what it costs.

I'm going to hope that Comcast unlocks the component inputs on their cable box so I can upscan that to 1080i, their box can do that. Or maybe Xbox 2 will support both 720p and 1080i.

[quote name='Indiana']If a CRT tv cannot do more than 600-800 lines then 1080i would be useless! There are 1,080 lines in the picture! 720p should have a much brighter picture than 1080i. Due to 720 scan lines being done versus only 540 with 1080i.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXP3076WHX%2fXAA

http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm[/QUOTE]

yes it supports 720p but it wont display it in that format because CRT's cant it will upconvert it to a resolution that the TV can do like 1080i . this is my tv http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jQKtq091QMr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=154150&id=detailed_info&i=158KV30HS4 and it does support 720p but not nativley , so it will upconvert it .

I also just noticed that Plasma tvs do not have enough resolution to do true HDTV. They down convert the image. Most only support 1024x768 or 1024x1024

They are considered HDTV because they accept the HDTV signal. Wow buying an HDTV that supports everything properly is going to be a real pain in the ass.

[quote name='mmn']You live in California WTF.

Idiot.[/QUOTE]

well im glad your so up on my states laws and you took time out of your busy day to be an internet jacka%s

[quote name='Indiana']I also just noticed that Plasma tvs do not have enough resolution to do true HDTV. They down convert the image. Most only support 1024x768 or 1024x1024

They are considered HDTV because they accept the HDTV signal. Wow buying an HDTV that supports everything properly is going to be a real pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Yea it is but there are very expensive plasma that do support all resolutions , and the upcoming DLP tvs will support 1080p . so its a matter of patience and if you got the money or not .

[quote name='lurknomore']Yes, Sony makes inferior products. Maybe 10+ years ago, Sony had some real quality consumer electronics, specifically with televisions and the like...but this is Sony's MO. Introduce great technology...sell at a premium, once a brand is established....bring out the crap and inferior product at the same selling points. No self-respecting AV person has a bit of Sony...no sensible consumer should look to Sony as a brand representing quality either. They are marketing wizzes, but their products are 9 times out of ten over-prices and of poorer quality.

The Sony WEGAs were only top of the line t.v.s, but they are no longer. I assure you of this. Sorry to burst your bubble.[/QUOTE]

You're a bitter moron who can't read.

Did you just not see my prior post that said that Consumer Reports ranks Sony TVs at the very top of the list in terms of quality??? Further, this is for nearly any type of TV. Sony is the best in quality, bar none. I wasn't sure, so I paid the $5 to access an objective, very knowledgeable source . . . Sony truly is king in terms of quality.

Did Sony do something to you personally, because your BS posts wreak of bias.

[quote name='jam3582']Yea it is but there are very expensive plasma that do support all resolutions , and the upcoming DLP tvs will support 1080p . so its a matter of patience and if you got the money or not .[/QUOTE]

What TVs are you talking about? I'm looking online at a $20,000 Sony WEGA plasma that is only 1365x768. I don't think they make a high res Plasma tv yet.

61" XBR® Plasma WEGA™ HDTV
KDE-61XBR950

• Video

• High Resolution Plasma TV

• Built-in NTSC TV Tuners (2) Media Box

• Built-in ATSC TV Tuner (1) Media Box

• Built-in Stereo Speakers

• Panel System: Plasma Display Panel

• Screen Size (Diagonally): 61 inches

• Display Resolution: 1365 x 768

Oh and I read on another site that CRT tvs are not measured in Pixels. But that Sony states that their CRTs are not down converted. So you actually get a better picture with a WEGA CRT vs the plasma.

Extended viewing impressions incoming! This TV is well worth the cash, without a doubt. I was watching Hotel Rwanda the other night, and was amazed by the sharpness of the set. I haven't had much time to do any HD gaming yet, though. I have been playing Halo (yes, the original, it's about time I finished it) and some San Andreas, and it is a mite bit nicer than my old TV, since I'm playing both in non-progressive 4:3. The geometry on mine is very crazy however, I just can't seem to get it perfect. However, that's just the perfectionist in me that notices that the lower-right corner of the screen curves ever so slightly when an object is positioned at a 45-degree angle across the screen. Other than that, though, awesome deal. It would be like getting a new Mustang for half-off the sticker price because the cup holder isn't big enough. Ya dig? :p

Modium, if you come up with some setting that optimize the tv while using the xbox please post those settings here. Don't get me wrong as is the tv looks freaking fabulous, I'm just looking to get the most out of it. Ya dig? lol.

[quote name='dafoomie']I have a $60 20" Apex, nothing wrong with it, but its one of the brands that people like to rag on as being low quality.

Put it this way, at least its not an Orion, those things are horrible. Or a Sansui. At least Philips is an actual brand.[/QUOTE]

I know that this is an older post in this thread but I had to offer Symphonic to the list of crap t.v.'s. God they're just horrible. I regret purchasing one 4-5 years ago on the BF madness at Walmart. I just had really needed a t.v. back then.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I know that this is an older post in this thread but I had to offer Symphonic to the list of crap t.v.'s. God they're just horrible. I regret purchasing one 4-5 years ago on the BF madness at Walmart. I just had really needed a t.v. back then.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Symphonic is crap. Wasn't even aware they made TV's, I've owned some of their garbage VCR's, and I got a $10 Symphonic DVD player from Outpost.

I saw a "19 inch" Orion at Walmart once... It was like... Tiny, almost like a 13 inch, and almost round like a fishbowl. The glass had such a huge curve in it, that the TV was technically 19 inches but tiny.

just ordered one 5 mins ago $385.93
guess i wont be eating for a while
no problems with CAGs yet right?

i didnt want to order it but since its never back in stock it was like an impulse buy

can someone recommend me some cheap accesories?
to hook up my xbox , cube and my home theater in box to this
i'm not sure whether or not to trust 3rd party component cables for the xbox
and are all component cables gold plated?
and will i need a hdtv system selector? or will there be enough plugs in to hook up my xbox, gamecube, and dvd player?

Guys I got this email from philips... it starts off: begin 60 23536.pdf then a bunch of random ass text... I guess it's a pdf file? But how do I view it?

I just clicked on the attachment and opened it to view. It is basically a shipment confirmation with the shippers name and order # and ship date.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']can someone recommend me some cheap accesories?
to hook up my xbox , cube and my home theater in box to this
i'm not sure whether or not to trust 3rd party component cables for the xbox
and are all component cables gold plated?
and will i need a hdtv system selector? or will there be enough plugs in to hook up my xbox, gamecube, and dvd player?[/QUOTE]

The TV only has 2 sets of component inputs, so unless you want to switch cords out constantly you'll need a selector, I know I do... As for specific accessories, I'd just go for the Xbox HD pack for $20. The GC will be a lot harder....since the tards at Nintendo thought they'd make most of thier games progressive scan compatible yet they refuse to sell the component cables anywhere but thier website for $30, which has them out of stock at the moment (restock in June supposedly). So your only current option would be to get an overpriced set on Ebay for $40-50, so I say just hold out for Nintendo to restock or just get S-video if you don't care too much. Most component cables are gold plated, but some, like the (very tempting) Mad Catz Xbox and PS2 cables aren't, which isn't good. As for DVD player cables.....Buy.com supposedly has a real cheap set that I forgot the link for....otherwise you'll be paying at least $25 or so for those.

bread's done
Back