30 in Widescreen HDTV - $320-$388 shipped, Philips Outlet

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET
http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/show_product/category/2131

Electronics Nation will pricematch the Philips Outlet (they're an affiliate, or an authorized reseller, or something, and are reputable), and they offer extended warranties for extra cash.

Before you make a major purchase on an HDTV, do your research at:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Here are the pros and cons on the 3 major models usually found at Philips Outlet:

30PW850H: $359
0003784993574_215X215.jpg

Pros:
Fewer problems overall, more likely to get a working unit without any problems
2 component inputs
Has both the 3D comb filter and 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

Cons:
No HDMI
Can not adjust aspect ratio except on 480i, non widescreen will be stretched.

Avsforum thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=366742&page=1&pp=30

30PW8420: $388
43361EBF325F00D700000000828BD472.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
3D comb filter

Cons:
Somewhat more prone to certain issues, minor hum, geometry, and broken units
Only 1 component input
No 'eye fidelity' (480i to 480p upscaling)

30PW8402: $320-$350
118246-2212p147-4b.jpg

Pros:
HDMI port
2 component inputs
'Eye fidelity'

Cons:
Least reliable, most prone to problems, such as speaker interference with the screen, geometry, and DOA
No 3D comb filter

Other models:
30PW8520 - Picture in picture, 2 component inputs, no HDMI. Not often available
30PW9xxxD - Built in OTA tuner, but analog signals look like crap, often more expensive.

Don't take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY! I will not be responsible if you are unhappy with your purchase, and neither will Philips Outlet. Their return policy on refurbs is 30 days, on site repair, shipping back to them at their expense if required, but no refunds, exchange for identical item only. They will only refund your money if they no longer have your model in stock.

Not to show off but here is the HDTV I bought.

HTPC001.jpg

I paid $600 cash through craigslist. It even has a DVI input that I connected my HTPC-PVR to. It's awesome! :D

[quote name='daphatty']Not to show off but here is the HDTV I bought.

I paid $600 cash through craigslist. It even has a DVI input that I connected my HTPC-PVR to. It's awesome! :D[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll be the "fag" who says it first :

That's a kickass entertainment center the TV is in. The TV is nice too, but damn, what a slick looking piece of furniture. Where'd you get it?

[quote name='Santurio']looks like I'm getting a refund. They don't have any to replace it with so they are picking it up and refunding my money. The rep said they are expecting to have a few in the next couple of days but I don't know if I want to reorder. Who knows, they can't send me screwed up TV twice............or maybe they will!![/QUOTE]

It's Phillips...get your money back!!! I had to get the Better Business Bureau involved it took them 3 times to get me a working DVD player after mine broke under warranty.

I refuse to buy phillips. My CDR drive broke twice and then they were class action sued on it. So they gave checks for Phillips products. I purchased a DVD player with the check and $40 of my own money... only to have it break as well!!!

I'm with MMN, that's a cool stand. Don't think it's too alternative to say so though. ;)

Love my stand. I'll have to take some pics when I get around to it. Was sick two weekends ago, and was getting over it early this week. But by tonight as I was leaving work, my throat felt sore again, and I'm either relapsing or have something else. It just sucks! :(

I'll keep Dragon's Lair in mind, though I must admit it's not high on my list. Any other 1080i games out there for the Xbox? I thought ETM might be the only one.

[quote name='mmn']Ok, I'll be the "fag" who says it first :

That's a kickass entertainment center the TV is in. The TV is nice too, but damn, what a slick looking piece of furniture. Where'd you get it?[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait... Are you ready for this?

Wait for it...

Target!

MWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHA!

It's a three piece set and they gave you the choice of two different center consoles. The one you see in the picture isn't actually as nice as the other one Target offered. Unfortunately, they were all sold out when I went to get it. Worked out better this way cause this one has more shelves and I'll be damned if I don't have enough shelves!

Funny thing is, I bought the Entertainment center in August, 7 months before I scored the TV. We had this POS 19" Sharp CRT that looked oh so horribly. But I had a vision of something better. Turned out quite well if I say so myself...

I'm sure somebody already posted it in the thread, but it bears repeating: http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm This list is actually accurate and updated very frequently with new titles. They also have a PS2 and Gamecube list, so check those out.

And Daphatty, nice TV and nice setup, as everyone else has said. \\:D/

[quote name='daphatty']Wait, wait... Are you ready for this?

Wait for it...

Target!

MWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHA!

It's a three piece set and they gave you the choice of two different center consoles. The one you see in the picture isn't actually as nice as the other one Target offered. Unfortunately, they were all sold out when I went to get it. Worked out better this way cause this one has more shelves and I'll be damned if I don't have enough shelves!

Funny thing is, I bought the Entertainment center in August, 7 months before I scored the TV. We had this POS 19" Sharp CRT that looked oh so horribly. But I had a vision of something better. Turned out quite well if I say so myself...[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to cover the center console shelves? I like how the side shelves can be closed to keep dust out. How did the other center console differ from the one you got?

modium... I must commend you.

I really appreciate your posts. Even if I haven't mentioned yours specifically until now, I *have* read all those you've left, and I really appreciate your willingness to help folks out. Great job.

Target eh? I had looked there for a new entertainment center, as my last one... a black unit made for 27" tv's with storage for DVD's came from there. Even has space with doors below to hide controllers, AV cables, etc. I'm pretty sure that style of unit wasn't available when I looked about a month ago.

Instead, my "new" stand is just that. Silver with glass shelves, actually made for a 36"+ TV, but I think my set looks great on it. And I use the extra space to place one of my Logitech 680's speakers to the right of the set, as well as place my Xbox, PS2, PC, and Comcast HD box under the set. ;)

Why would Atari Anthology be done in 1080i? Are they NUTS?!?!?!?

[quote name='Collectordragon']Is there any way to cover the center console shelves? I like how the side shelves can be closed to keep dust out. How did the other center console differ from the one you got?[/QUOTE]

I can't find a picture of the furniture so I'll try to describe it as best I can. The other center console was slightly longer, about 6-9 inches, and had two doors that concealed shelves within on each end. The doors were see-through, fashioned in the same way as the side towers. In the center were two open shelves (rather than the four you see in my picture) and a small drawer sat underneath them. It was definitely sexier than the one I ended up with but I got such a good deal on the set that I can't really complain. I'm not sure if Target carries them anymore. I haven't seen these in a while.

I just got my TV delivered yesterday. Got my Xbox and DVD player hooked up to the Component inputs. My PS2, Gamecube and Dreamcast are connected to the S-Video inputs through a switcher. I set up the Xbox to support widescreen, 480p and 1080i. The only thing I have that supports 1080i is XBMC. The text looks like there's a ghost or shadow next to it, making me see slight double image. Is this normal? Does anybody else see this? Otherwise, everything seems to be working like new. No damage.

Also, does anybody know how to make a non-widescreen Xbox game go 4:3 mode? It seems if the game doesn't support widescreen (KOTOR, MGS2, etc.) then the TV just stretches the image to fill up the screen. I can't change the format on my Xbox and DVD player since they're connected to the component inputs. I can change the format of the rest of my stuff just fine.

[quote name='Marker']

Also, does anybody know how to make a non-widescreen Xbox game go 4:3 mode? It seems if the game doesn't support widescreen (KOTOR, MGS2, etc.) then the TV just stretches the image to fill up the screen. I can't change the format on my Xbox and DVD player since they're connected to the component inputs. I can change the format of the rest of my stuff just fine.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing, do I have to switch cables when i dont want widescreen (Fable looks like crap wide)?

[quote name='modium']unfortunately, you can't adjust the aspect ratio of a Progressive signal. Just a feature this TV lacks, and that's one of the only downsides to the set. What I've been doing is just disabling Progressive Scan in the Xbox dash whenever I want to play a game in 4:3, because the stretching looks awful. You might notice that playing in 4:3 non-Progressive looks pretty bad, but you just need to adjust the sharpness. This can be done by following the instructions here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3411125#post3411125 Really, the only option if you'd prefer not to play the Progressive stuff in stretched 16x9, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
Post #258 :razz:

what version of Gladiator is that? Is it the Signature Selection with the DTS ES track or is it the one disc version they released later?

[quote name='mmn']Why is the top right section of the picture on the TV slanted inward?

Other than that nitpicky thing, looks great.[/QUOTE]
Just the wonky geometry on my set. I posted a bit about it here if you're interested. I've got it nearly perfect, and by that I mean that it's serviceable. Still annoys me a bit, but I'm a perfectionist about my picture, but it's still worth the money I paid for the TV.

so how many ppl actually got the tv from this thread? i know modium did

and dafoomie did u get the TV or did u buy another one? cuz i thought u bought one but then u posted the pic of the other TV

mines still hasnt come, but i cant wait, it supposedly should come this week, i already got all my component cables ready for it

Got it, like it, though it doesn't AMAZE me when I watch HDTV. Maybe it's just the shows I've tried so far.

Definately nice for DVD's, and Halo 2 Xbox isn't bothering me widescreen like some have complained. I think it's a nice touch. Would love to find some folks to play Doom 3 co-op with. ;)

[quote name='daphatty']Wait, wait... Are you ready for this?

Wait for it...

Target!

MWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHA!

Funny thing is, I bought the Entertainment center in August, 7 months before I scored the TV. We had this POS 19" Sharp CRT that looked oh so horribly. But I had a vision of something better. Turned out quite well if I say so myself...[/QUOTE]

I have a black version of this set that I got at Target a while ago also. It works perfectly for holding/storing systems and games.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']so how many ppl actually got the tv from this thread? i know modium did

and dafoomie did u get the TV or did u buy another one? cuz i thought u bought one but then u posted the pic of the other TV

mines still hasnt come, but i cant wait, it supposedly should come this week, i already got all my component cables ready for it[/QUOTE]
I got one.............................it just didn't work. As a matter of fact it wasn't broken to shit. Yeah but you know other than that I got one, which was just picked up yesterday!!! They better refund my money quick.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']so how many ppl actually got the tv from this thread? i know modium did

mines still hasnt come, but i cant wait, it supposedly should come this week, i already got all my component cables ready for it[/QUOTE]
Look through the thread, plenty of folks here have. I know that Pratt did, Merk did, BADAIM got it as well, off the top of my head.

Merk, Halo 2 is in fact widescreen, like HDTVarcade.com shows, so it should be fine. Although, I read somewhere that an error in programming screwed up the Progressive Scan in the game, so that it cuts off some of the HUD. There's a patch on XBL that should automatically fix it, but I'm sure you've already downloaded it, heh. I've still got to finish Halo before I move onto Halo 2, it's only been a few years. :p

i meant daphatty instead of dafoomie, my bad

and yea i read through this thread many times just got a bad memory about it
mines still hasnt come yet, i hope it comes in good condition like almost everyone elses
cept for santurios

how long did delivery take for anyone who lives on the west coast?
its been a week already i think for me

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i meant daphatty instead of dafoomie, my bad

mines still hasnt come yet, i hope it comes in good condition like almost everyone elses
cept for santurios

its been a week already i think for me[/QUOTE]

I didn't pick up the Philips. I opted for a craigslist purchase instead. It was almost twice as much as the Philips but well worth the cost.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i meant daphatty instead of dafoomie, my bad

cept for santurios

its been a week already i think for me[/QUOTE]

Mine got to Minneapolis in about 3 days, but then it sat in the delivery warehouse waiting for a local courier. When they said it would be another week I just went and picked it up myself. It is in a huge box though.

[quote name='starman9000']Mine got to Minneapolis in about 3 days, but then it sat in the delivery warehouse waiting for a local courier. When they said it would be another week I just went and picked it up myself. It is in a huge box though.[/QUOTE]

LOL hell yeah me too i ordered on a thursday it was in my town sunday night i picked it up monday morning cuz im a impatient mofo .

mines been sitting in the eagle office for 2 days already with no phone call
so i called them and told them to deliver it 2morrow
damn i cant wait for it, dont know how i'm gonna take it up stairs
if its as heavy as everyone says

i also got my order from microcenter but they sent me the PL957 instead of the pL960
anyways i can return it and get it resolved, no remote control and not even silver
they even raised the price to 79.99$
and they tried taping a fake bar code over the original one with the PL960 and UPC
i peeled that off and behind it i saw that it was the older version, really diappointing

So after a lot of thought, I went ahead and ordered the 32 inch Philips refurbed 4:3 TV for less than $500 shipped. A few reasons I did this :

1) Not all games support Widescreen 16:9. I've read some posts in this thread where people are saying the 4:3 games do not look great on their widescreen TV and they've had some trouble with picture quality on 4:3 games.

2) A 4:3 loses no picture when watching regular TV, and I watch a lot of regular TV. A 16:9 forces you to either cut the sides off with black bars or zoom in and lose some picture.

3) When watching a movie in widescreen on the 4:3, you really don't lose THAT MUCH picture as opposed to watching the same thing on a 16:9. I read somewhere that you have a 29 inch picture in letterbox format on a 32 4:3 as opposed to the full screen letterbox on a 30 inch. So basically you lose an inch, big deal.

The only benefit I could see to owning a widescreen was for some of the games. And I've seen games on a widescreen TV, its cool but its not enough of a selling point to convince me to switch from a standard 4:3.

I did want to get a flat panel LCD, mostly because it supports 720p and no tube TV that I know of does, but I think for the cost I can live without it. 480p is all you really need right now, anyhow. It'll make due until the prices of LCDs and plasmas drop even more.

Anyhow, I'll let everyone know how it goes - I just placed the order today so I should have it in a week or so.

Eh, I wouldn't trade my 55" WIDESCREEN TV for anything...except a bigger and better WIDESCREEN TV

But, if you like your 4:3 TV....good for you :)

[quote name='doubledown']Eh, I wouldn't trade my 55" WIDESCREEN TV for anything...except a bigger and better WIDESCREEN TV

But, if you like your 4:3 TV....good for you :)[/QUOTE]

I'm using this in a small room. Not only wouldn't I want a 55 inch TV in here - there'd be no space for it. 32 is about as big as I could go without it being TOO big.

Now, when I'm not living with a roommate and have my own living room, yeah, I'll upgrade to something like a rear projection LCD. Until then, this will work. :)

got my tv yesterday, came in great condition
as good as new, cept some discoloration on the corner of the casing
and this tv also supports 4:3 ratio cept u'll have black bars on the sides
the 4:3 is about 24-25" diagonal

i never watched a widescreen dvd on a widescreen tv b4 but is there supposed to be black bars on the top and bottom still?
i thought it would be the whole screen?

but everything came in great condition
manual and controller are like new
the controller is pretty nice too, gots lighted buttons
also no bent corners on the tv lile someone pictured in the thread
great deal, very happy about this tv
a lil too big for my room but i dont need that much space

[quote name='greyzieoriental']got my tv yesterday, came in great condition
as good as new, cept some discoloration on the corner of the casing
and this tv also supports 4:3 ratio cept u'll have black bars on the sides
the 4:3 is about 24-25" diagonal

i never watched a widescreen dvd on a widescreen tv b4 but is there supposed to be black bars on the top and bottom still?
i thought it would be the whole screen?

but everything came in great condition
manual and controller are like new
the controller is pretty nice too, gots lighted buttons
also no bent corners on the tv lile someone pictured in the thread
great deal, very happy about this tv
a lil too big for my room but i dont need that much space[/QUOTE]

There will be BLACK BARS on the screen if the movie is shot in the ratio 2.35:1

Be sure to get a progressive scan DVD player and component cables also...picture will be much improved.

i used progressive scan for LOTR and there are little blue squares showing up once in a while, and yea i got component cables too

i still havent tested everything yet, but from what i tested everything seems good

also finally found burnout 3 at target

i dont know if they restocked or what but anyone living in vegas
the target on clayton and craig gots like 10 copies

found whats wrong with my set :( the component inputs dont work for AV1
i dont know if somethings wrong with them or what
and i dont know what CVI is for, the AV! component input doesnt work but the composite does, i hope that it can be fixed without sending the set back, other than that everything seems to really be working well

burnout 3 looks great on it

[quote name='doubledown']There will be BLACK BARS on the screen if the movie is shot in the ratio 2.35:1[/QUOTE]

Also look for it to say anamorphic. Some will say that rather than 2.35:1

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i used progressive scan for LOTR and there are little blue squares showing up once in a while, and yea i got component cables too

i still havent tested everything yet, but from what i tested everything seems good

also finally found burnout 3 at target

i dont know if they restocked or what but anyone living in vegas
the target on clayton and craig gots like 10 copies

found whats wrong with my set :( the component inputs dont work for AV1
i dont know if somethings wrong with them or what
and i dont know what CVI is for, the AV! component input doesnt work but the composite does, i hope that it can be fixed without sending the set back, other than that everything seems to really be working well

burnout 3 looks great on it[/QUOTE]

Make sure you got the right wires in the right places two of your inputs will only work with component video cables only (red green blue) the others will work only with S-video or composite .your high def will be on AV2 and AV4 your component inputs .CVI is when you use the s-video/composite input on the right side of your screen (in the back separate from other inputs)

[quote name='BADAIM']Make sure you got the right wires in the right places two of your inputs will only work with component video cables only (red green blue) the others will work only with S-video or composite .your high def will be on AV2 and AV4 your component inputs .CVI is when you use the s-video/composite input on the right side of your screen (in the back separate from other inputs)[/QUOTE]

Isnt .cvi the component imputs in back? Thats where my xbox pops up.

Also, does anyone know how the picture quality for a prog. scan dvd compares to the quality from an xbox? All I have is the box hooked up right now, and need to know if its worth the bother to get another dvd player.

Oh, one other thing, the manual I recieved is for a different remote than I recieved. I found another manual here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=30PW850H&scy=&slg=ENG&searchtxt=30pw850h

I still cant get my receiver set to it though, as all the codes are for dvd, vcr, and cable boxes only. I was able to get some functionality out of my xbox by using the RCA dvd code though.

[quote name='starman9000'] Also, does anyone know how the picture quality for a prog. scan dvd compares to the quality from an xbox? All I have is the box hooked up right now, and need to know if its worth the bother to get another dvd player.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Xbox only displays DVDs in 480p. So if you get an upcoverting DVD player that upconverts the image to 1080i you'll be taking full advantage of your TV.

Its really only worth it if you're a true DVD junkie.

Read this thread to learn about upconverting DVD players :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=423609

[quote name='mmn']So after a lot of thought, I went ahead and ordered the 32 inch Philips refurbed 4:3 TV for less than $500 shipped. A few reasons I did this :

1) Not all games support Widescreen 16:9. I've read some posts in this thread where people are saying the 4:3 games do not look great on their widescreen TV and they've had some trouble with picture quality on 4:3 games.

2) A 4:3 loses no picture when watching regular TV, and I watch a lot of regular TV. A 16:9 forces you to either cut the sides off with black bars or zoom in and lose some picture.

3) When watching a movie in widescreen on the 4:3, you really don't lose THAT MUCH picture as opposed to watching the same thing on a 16:9. I read somewhere that you have a 29 inch picture in letterbox format on a 32 4:3 as opposed to the full screen letterbox on a 30 inch. So basically you lose an inch, big deal.

The only benefit I could see to owning a widescreen was for some of the games. And I've seen games on a widescreen TV, its cool but its not enough of a selling point to convince me to switch from a standard 4:3.

I did want to get a flat panel LCD, mostly because it supports 720p and no tube TV that I know of does, but I think for the cost I can live without it. 480p is all you really need right now, anyhow. It'll make due until the prices of LCDs and plasmas drop even more.

Anyhow, I'll let everyone know how it goes - I just placed the order today so I should have it in a week or so.[/QUOTE]

How did you get it for that price? Or were there more options up before. You are right about the size difference. For gaming, the standard would be better. Almost the same for widescreen, but 8 inches bigger for 4:3 games.

[quote name='starman9000']How did you get it for that price? Or were there more options up before. You are right about the size difference. For gaming, the standard would be better. Almost the same for widescreen, but 8 inches bigger for 4:3 games.[/QUOTE]

I guess there's more options. I could've paid another $40 or so and gotten an HDMI connection as well, but that's not a very important feature to me at this point. I really only plan on having this TV for a couple of years until the high def world becomes more standard and prices on LCDs and plasmas drop.

[quote name='mmn']I'm pretty sure the Xbox only displays DVDs in 480p. So if you get an upcoverting DVD player that upconverts the image to 1080i you'll be taking full advantage of your TV.

Its really only worth it if you're a true DVD junkie.

Read this thread to learn about upconverting DVD players :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=423609[/QUOTE]

actually iv read on a couple forums that the xbox dosent do progresive scan for dvd movies only for games. just do a google search to find out .

[quote name='jam3582']actually iv read on a couple forums that the xbox dosent do progresive scan for dvd movies only for games. just do a google search to find out .[/QUOTE]

You're right, I was wrong. Xbox only does 480i for movies. Thanks.

i'm sure i hooked it up right, i mean its just matching the colors, i also went through all the AV channels and CVI channel and nothing shows up
and the AV3 is for the composite for the side on the TV cuz thats where my cube is hooked up

i'm gonna try hooking up all the inputs and see what works and what doesnt

also for my home theater receiver, there is aux inputs
the xbox hd pack has 5 wires, 3 for component and 2 for audio
would it work if i plugs the 2 audio into my aux?
probably wont give me surround sound though
or would it be the same to just have the sound from my TV inputted into my receiver

i'm going to call philips or email them if the other component input isnt working

and starman i also didnt get the correct manual for my controller but i clicked on your link and what did you look at to get th manual for the controller?

[quote name='mmn']You're right, I was wrong. Xbox only does 480i for movies. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
np u kno whats funny though the ps2 dvd player does do 480p lol I read that on some forums also .

[quote name='greyzieoriental']
also for my home theater receiver, there is aux inputs
the xbox hd pack has 5 wires, 3 for component and 2 for audio
would it work if i plugs the 2 audio into my aux?
probably wont give me surround sound though
or would it be the same to just have the sound from my TV inputted into my receiver

i'm going to call philips or email them if the other component input isnt working

and starman i also didnt get the correct manual for my controller but i clicked on your link and what did you look at to get th manual for the controller?[/QUOTE]

Click on documentation and then owners manual (the first choice). It didnt do me much good, as I still cant set the remot to control my receiver. So I get to have 3 remotes out.
If you use the two audio outs to your aux, you will only get stereo sound. For 5.1 you need to use the optical hook up. I picked one up at Target for 5$, they are clearancing them right now, it was attached to an svideo cable.

[quote name='jam3582']np u kno whats funny though the ps2 dvd player does do 480p lol I read that on some forums also .[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU for telling me that. You're going to save me $60!

After learning the Xbox didn't support 480p for movies I assumed the PS2 didn't either (I have a slim PS2). But after reading your post and looking in my PS2 manual I discovered that it does support 480p for DVDs.

Now I can return the Toshiba Prog Scan DVD player I got at Fry's yesterday and get the PS2 component cables instead for around $20 - $25, saving me a ton of cash.

Thanks again! :)

bread's done
Back