30" Philips HDTV $269 *DEAD*

Alright, in for one, worried about the size, but will be a good bedroom TV. Zewone, I hope this is as good as you say it is, I did some research, but hope it all works out.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']

Not true 1080i is 1920 x 1080, 540 lines would be more like a PAL tv. Think about it this way a SDTV is 720 x 480 or 480i. 480p has the same amount of pixels it just shows it in a progressives mode. You are correct in the fact that at any given moment only 540 lines are being displayed but there are 1080 lines of resolution.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know but I was saying that the 1080i native TVs only has 540 horizontal lines hence why it can't do 720p and only does 1080i natively. I wasn't talking about the 1080i format but TVs which can only do 1080i max.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Man, I'm just about sold on this thing. The only thing holding me back is the size. About how deep would you say this thing is, zew?[/quote]

It's 21.XX inches deep according to the link provided. This is the only reason I haven't ordered one.

In for one.

Thanks again, zew.

Now I won't be a low-res mofo anymore more. :)

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah I know but I was saying that the 1080i native TVs only has 540 horizontal lines hence why it can't do 720p and only does 1080i natively. I wasn't talking about the 1080i format but TVs which can only do 1080i max.[/quote]

No the ones that could not do 720p just could not scale the signal. It was never in issue of the lines of resolution the like I said before a SDTV has 480 line of resolution but not all can do 480p. However as I said before it's a moot point with this set .

I'm sooooo tempted to do this, but for two problems -- the depth is about four inches too deep from my cabinet, meaning it would stick out that far from the face, and the idea that 112 pounds of TV might not be held up by the cabinet shelf it would rest on.

[quote name='Salmonday']I'm sooooo tempted to do this, but for two problems -- the depth is about four inches too deep from my cabinet, meaning it would stick out that far from the face, and the idea that 112 pounds of TV might not be held up by the cabinet shelf it would rest on.[/QUOTE]

Can't do it. Keep in mind the majority of the weight on tube tvs is in the front. It would probably be on the floor when you let go.

MjC

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Any inexpensive cabinets/shelves out there that anyone can recommend?[/quote]

Walmart and Target..... Plenty for under 70.00 bucks

[quote name='dallow']Physically impossible...... Haha, this made me laugh though.[/quote]LOL i was refering the the diagonal screen size of 30".

I've seen a ton of 32" diagonal screen size TVs with a physical width of 31 1/2" I just need one 1" less.

Who knows maybe I'll just be doing some "custom fitting" to my entertainment cabinet. I.E. putting the saw to it!

Can anyone help me out, either I am missing something or my comp is messed up, because I am not seeing the link at all

A friend of mine was saying there might be some hassle fixing certain things. I was reading on a forum and people were talking about problems like overscan, ghosting image, and other things. Are these the types of things fixed during a refurbishing, or could they still be present?

[quote name='Tserrof']Can anyone help me out, either I am missing something or my comp is messed up, because I am not seeing the link at all[/quote]

It's in the first post.

How much do you suppose your standard 27" tubed television set weighs?

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']A friend of mine was saying there might be some hassle fixing certain things. I was reading on a forum and people were talking about problems like overscan, ghosting image, and other things. Are these the types of things fixed during a refurbishing, or could they still be present?[/QUOTE]

Overscan is pretty much a given with CRT sets. Go to avsforum.com and look up your tv model in their forum. Somewhere in there you will find the code to access the service menu. Use that to get the most out of your screen. But be very careful to write down any setting you change. You might be in for trouble if you don't.

Also, to Alfonso: Ikea has a model called Stormark that's $60. I got one for my 34" Sony HD CRT. Hold up to 220 lbs and the set fits perfectly. I've got a picture of it on my computer at home. If I remember I'll post it here after work.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Overscan is pretty much a given with CRT sets. Go to avsforum.com and look up your tv model in their forum. Somewhere in there you will find the code to access the service menu. Use that to get the most out of your screen. But be very careful to write down any setting you change. You might be in for trouble if you don't.

MjC[/quote]

Good Idea more info then you would ever need to know.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=533115&page=1&pp=30&highlight=30PW9110D

Thanks a lot! My friend who knows a little something about HDTV said I could maybe hold out for a better one. I'm really only interested in purchasing because of the price. I'm a 19 year old college student who just wants something better to watch the films he loves so dearly on. :D

We'll see...I've got a few days to think it over.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']A friend of mine was saying there might be some hassle fixing certain things. I was reading on a forum and people were talking about problems like overscan, ghosting image, and other things. Are these the types of things fixed during a refurbishing, or could they still be present?[/QUOTE]
My first one was perfect, my second one had some overscan, though not enough for me to bother messing around in the service menu.

There shouldn't be any major geometry issues, but I would find out how to go about fixing it if you were going to buy one.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']whered u get the 32" for 400? This will be a living room tv and I think itll suit well (the 30") since I will just be getting another living room tv when i move in with my fiance. I already have a 37 inch olevia but dont wanna use it in the living room.[/QUOTE]
Outpost.com had a sale on memorial day, 32" Olevia for $400, brand new, not a refurb. Probably the best deal this year. Could be some similar deals here and there, keep your eyes open. If you live near a Fry's, you can definitely get one.

I'm doing the same thing, I use my two tanks in higher traffic areas and my more fragile LCD in the bedroom.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']It's in the first post.[/quote]

I checked the first post, and still didn't see any link. The only one that I saw was for the $500 TV

Yeah, this thing is a bitch to move around. Need at least two people. Usually the delivery guy will help you out, but if not make sure someone else is around.

Especially, with your shitty back Brak.

Oh hell, only until the 17th?!? Christ, I better get my ass in gear on this one - I've been needing an HDTV badly, and at that price I'm way too tempted.

Alright, I'm moments away from ordering this TV, but I've just got one more thing to ask: if there is something wrong with it once it gets here, is there any kind of warranty I can fall back on?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Alright, I'm moments away from ordering this TV, but I've just got one more thing to ask: if there is something wrong with it once it gets here, is there any kind of warranty I can fall back on?[/QUOTE]

Since the item is "Factory Renewed" it has a 90 day warranty with it.

You can find info here:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...portId=HELP_SHOPPING&shop=OUTLET#producttypes

Here is a link with return/refund information:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/customersupport.do?supportId=HELP_RETURNS&shop=OUTLET

Does anyone think that they'll have this discount as a reoccurring thing? Just curious as it supposedly ends the 17th.

Oh, and wouldn't returning it be a bitch? How do you go about that?

They did the same deal in May so you can't rule out a return.

Anyone else have their order ship? If they're getting these out in a day or two from the order I'll probably jump on it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']They did the same deal in May so you can't rule out a return.

Anyone else have their order ship? If they're getting these out in a day or two from the order I'll probably jump on it.[/QUOTE]
I placed it on Friday, and it's still "processing".

Anyone know how they're shipping these? Is a trucking company going to be calling to schedule an appointment during some random 6 hour period where they dont show up?

[quote name='levi333']Anyone know how they're shipping these? Is a trucking company going to be calling to schedule an appointment during some random 6 hour period where they dont show up?[/QUOTE]
They ship with a trucking company that calls to schedule an appointment.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Oh, and wouldn't returning it be a bitch? How do you go about that?[/quote]You can't return factory-renewed merchandise, read their return policy...

I'm thinking about this, but i'm not digging the 90-day warranty...Way to stick behind your product Philips...$290 shipped for me after tax to Cali...I guess it's hard to complain for less than 3 bills

My roommate had this TV for 2 years in college before selling it when we moved out. Great gaming TV for the price and durability....but the thing weighs a ton! Good TV to get if you don't plan on moving it around a lot.

[quote name='Brak']Is anyone else's order still "Processing..."?[/quote] Yup, placed my order on friday as well.

Edit: Yup, as in still processing.

Well, it's a done deal. My grandma bought the TV for me. :D Hopefully there won't be any problems with delivery. When should I expect the call from the trucking company?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what's overscan?

So the 90 day warranty is for free fixing of the set then?

I feel that I've heard more good than bad experiences with this television...damn, tough choice.

Don't worry, those of you who bought this TV are going to flip out when you see the quality of the picture. It's outstanding, especially with next gen gaming.

It's a steal for under 300. BIG TIME

The only hesitation really on my part now is that I'd need to also buy a stand and a new DVD player because the one that's currently in my room is crap. Plus I want a 360 in the future.

Damn...

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']The only hesitation really on my part now is that I'd need to also buy a stand and a new DVD player because the one that's currently in my room is crap. Plus I want a 360 in the future.

Damn...[/QUOTE]

You've got to start some where...

bread's done
Back