30 year old 13 year college undergrad

I wish I could have done the same thing. I mean really, what's better than your college years? Its better than high school by a long shot and yet it still has that "not quite into the real world" feel to it that makes it almost carefree. I miss college already and I graduated less than a year ago.

Then again, there's always a masters degree...

Myth: Johnny Lechner is afraid of the real world.

Truth: What I am afraid of is graduating and wishing I would have stayed one more year. I have realized that people my age (and even people much older) are naturally confused about what they are doing with their lives. I’ve got the rest of my life to work and since I’m enjoying the college years…why not add one more?

in other words..........he's afraid of the real world :lol: not that that is a bad thing, I don't blame him one bit.

I totally understand where he's coming from-- I'm a 25 year old undergrad (cept I'm right on time, as a junior in my 3rd year.) college is a great place and I think us "non-traditional" students get more out of it. Maybe that's just because I'm at a liberal arts school where critical thinking is emphasized, so differences in maturity are heavily contrasted. (sorry to toot me and my fellow fogey students' horn...but in most cases it's true)

but half the pics on his page are of him drinking beer...and he seems to constantly talk about how he has "got the balance down." see, after 13 years, even if you are doing well in classes, if you are still binge drinking on the weekends, you are no longer just a dumb college kid-- you're an alcoholic :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']but half the pics on his page are of him drinking beer...and he seems to constantly talk about how he has "got the balance down." see, after 13 years, even if you are doing well in classes, if you are still binge drinking on the weekends, you are no longer just a dumb college kid-- you're an alcoholic :lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, I have a hard time with all those questions he answered on the "truth" page, since the background image collage sure seems to contradict his "I'm just a shy lil' guy tryin' to hunker down and make it through college!" answers.

That said, he only has three years more college than me. :cry:

[quote name='ITDEFX']doesn't this sound like Tommy Boy?[/QUOTE]
More like Van Wilder. I dont think that guy wants to graduate. What a loser. He seems like a creep who just wants to be near 18 year old girls for the rest of his life. Graduate and get on with your life already.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I wish I could have done the same thing. I mean really, what's better than your college years?[/quote]

How about: not being that creepy 30 year-old guy still trying to score at the frats with a freshman.

Staying in college is great, but you should be getting your masters or doctorate not just be a continual undergrad. Big waste of time.

Although if he was trying to gain some fame for being a forever undergrad I suppose he's suceeded.

[quote name='6669']More like Van Wilder. I dont think that guy wants to graduate. What a loser. He seems like a creep who just wants to be near 18 year old girls for the rest of his life. Graduate and get on with your life already.[/quote]

"I keep getting older, and the girls stay the same age"

[quote name='craven_fiend']"I keep getting older, and the girls stay the same age"[/QUOTE]
david_wooderson.jpg

Yeah, that guy was pretty creepy, too. At least he's not real though.
I would never go to the same school as this guy.

[quote name='6669']
david_wooderson.jpg

Yeah, that guy was pretty creepy, too. At least he's not real though.
I would never go to the same school as this guy.[/quote]

Glad you got that. :rofl:

Yeah, its just creepy that this guy is 30 and still an undergrad and binge drinker.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Glad you got that. :rofl:

Yeah, its just creepy that this guy is 30 and still an undergrad and binge drinker.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
Yea, "Wooderson" is one of the nicknames my bf's friends gave him when we first started going out.

[quote name='6669']:lol:
Yea, "Wooderson" is one of the nicknames my bf's friends gave him when we first started going out.[/QUOTE]

waitaminute...i'm sensing a contradiction here... :lol:

[quote name='wubb']Staying in college is great, but you should be getting your masters or doctorate not just be a continual undergrad. Big waste of time. [/quote]

yes, someone really needs to tell him that undergrad degrees have lost a lot of their value since 1994. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']yes, someone really needs to tell him that undergrad degrees have lost a lot of their value since 1994. :lol:[/QUOTE] After 13 years and counting, he will never get his money back on that one. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']in other words..........he's afraid of the real world :lol: not that that is a bad thing, I don't blame him one bit.

I totally understand where he's coming from-- I'm a 25 year old undergrad (cept I'm right on time, as a junior in my 3rd year.) college is a great place and I think us "non-traditional" students get more out of it. Maybe that's just because I'm at a liberal arts school where critical thinking is emphasized, so differences in maturity are heavily contrasted. (sorry to toot me and my fellow fogey students' horn...but in most cases it's true)

but half the pics on his page are of him drinking beer...and he seems to constantly talk about how he has "got the balance down." see, after 13 years, even if you are doing well in classes, if you are still binge drinking on the weekends, you are no longer just a dumb college kid-- you're an alcoholic :lol:[/QUOTE]

I thought you went to Wiscy?

[quote name='jPoD']I thought you went to Wiscy?[/QUOTE]

yep. uw-madison. but I'm not of the "work hard, play hard" variety. I played hard when I was around the normal undergrad age :)

speaking of which, I wonder why this guy is at uw-whitewater instead of madison...

Well, they have a system for people who just want to stay in college forever. It's called teaching. Yeesh. In 13 years he should be qualified to be a professor in 2 disciplines.

edit: oh man, this is that Whitewater douche? I'm glad they hell of hiked his tuition lately.

[quote name='Apossum']yep. uw-madison. but I'm not of the "work hard, play hard" variety. I played hard when I was around the normal undergrad age :)

speaking of which, I wonder why this guy is at uw-whitewater instead of madison...[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt consider UDubb liberal arts :p

[quote name='wubb']Staying in college is great, but you should be getting your masters or doctorate not just be a continual undergrad. Big waste of time.

Although if he was trying to gain some fame for being a forever undergrad I suppose he's suceeded.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Wubb. I will be leaving college probably in 2 years, at the age of 23, with a BA and an MA, and then I will be going for a second masters. Saying you have a triple major/triple minor is neat, but not that great in reality. I explored the possibility of quadruple minoring, but my university doesn't allow you to get more than two minors, so I will leave with a BA/MA with dual minors. Either way, undergrad degrees are becoming less and less prestigious due to the fact that more and more people are going to college each year (Don't take that as I don't think people should go to college, you should). However, as Wubb said, a masters or doctorate is a much better use of your time if you want to be a professional student, but it's also a lot more work than another undergrad degree.

[quote name='lordwow']I agree with Wubb. I will be leaving college probably in 2 years, at the age of 23, with a BA and an MA, and then I will be going for a second masters. Saying you have a triple major/triple minor is neat, but not that great in reality. I explored the possibility of quadruple minoring, but my university doesn't allow you to get more than two minors, so I will leave with a BA/MA with dual minors.[/QUOTE]

BEANPOT CHAMPS!!!!!!! ;)
(Congrats on third)

[quote name='jPoD']I wouldnt consider UDubb liberal arts :p[/QUOTE]Whitewater really isn't either, I don't think. It's business and administration focused from what I've heard from some of my advisors.

[quote name='jPoD']I wouldnt consider UDubb liberal arts :p[/QUOTE]

true, it's not 100% liberal arts, though I'd say the liberal arts area of the school is about the size of a private lib arts school. :lol: I guess I was just thinking of my areas of interest and my major. But if you look at the whole place, it is mainly lib arts. the College of Letters and Sciences is the largest in the university (probably the largest in the UW system as well), and when you're in Madison, you can really see that reflected in the city/downtown campus area. and, as you know, the business college is highly selective and I believe the engineering college is the same way. that leaves you with some of the smaller and more specialized colleges.

maybe that doesn't apply to the other UW campuses. Despite that this guy's at whitewater and that they may not focus on lib arts, if you're in school for 13 years, you can safely call your education "liberal." Shit, it's past the point of being liberal-- it's more escapist and indulgent :lol:

[quote name='jPoD']BEANPOT CHAMPS!!!!!!! ;)
(Congrats on third)[/QUOTE]

lol, We don't watch the Beanpot here, our hockey team sucks. I've never even seen a game in 4 years here.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I wish I could have done the same thing. I mean really, what's better than your college years? Its better than high school by a long shot and yet it still has that "not quite into the real world" feel to it that makes it almost carefree. I miss college already and I graduated less than a year ago.

Then again, there's always a masters degree...[/quote]Except, high school is free, and when you graduate, you don't have thousands of dollars worth of loans still yet to be repaid.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Except, high school is free.[/QUOTE]You might want to check with your parents about that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']How could anyone afford to do that?[/quote]Lots and lots of loans. Obviously, he's been counting on being able to continually re-enlist and being able to put off paying them indefinately.

I love education and regret that I haven't college experience. But this guy is a flat out loser, looking to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood. That's pathetic. Be a man, get a job and pay your bills.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Except, high school is free, and when you graduate, you don't have thousands of dollars worth of loans still yet to be repaid.[/quote]Only to the students in public schools. Everyone else in the town pays via taxes. And those in private schools still have to pay their local taxes funding other students in public school AND the private tuition.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I wish I could have done the same thing. I mean really, what's better than your college years? Its better than high school by a long shot and yet it still has that "not quite into the real world" feel to it that makes it almost carefree. I miss college already and I graduated less than a year ago.

Then again, there's always a masters degree...[/quote]

True but I remember when I was in college and guys who graduated even 2 years prior would come back to the frat house to drink beers and all I could think at the time was what a fucking loser - and they were probably only 23 or so...

That said, I do miss college a ton and would love to go back (as an 18 year old). I've been to grad school and while it's better than the real world, it's way more serious than undergrad and without the dorm life it's really not that great. Still, it beats working any day of the week.

I don't think I could take 13 years of college. It took me 6 years to graduate because I switched schools and the 2nd school mislead me about which credits would apply from the old school and after all those semesters, I was getting tired of studying for hours and reading textbook after textbook.

I got to say he's really screwing up any future he wants in the real world. He's not building a career at all, he could be making a pretty good salary by now if he graduated when he was 22. I guess saving for retirement really going to happen for him. He better hope social security survives.

[quote name='6669']More like Van Wilder. I dont think that guy wants to graduate. What a loser. He seems like a creep who just wants to be near 18 year old girls for the rest of his life. Graduate and get on with your life already.[/QUOTE]

I agree, he's not afraid of the real world. He's afraid of not being able to not have a job, and not being around young girls.

The sad thing he doesn't realize is that. At the end of the day, he will always be "that one guy" in everyone's stories.

what a moron....

just get your master's and your Ph.D. .... don't waste all that time and have nothing to show for it...

all i have to say to him....good luck in getting into any job that requires a graduate degree.......he'd probably waste another 10 years of professors time getting 6 more degrees.......

i also pray that he doesn't get any financial aid....idiots like that that abuse the system and take money from young adults that need the money and want to learn is disgusting.....

i hope when he goes to graduate, that he somehow missed some random requirement somewhere along the way and that they make him stay for another class......

[quote name='jmcc']You might want to check with your parents about that.[/quote]Compared to a big time college education, high school basically is free. Oh, your parents buy you some new shirts for Back to School, that isn't shit compared to thousands of dollars in tuition, books, etc.

[quote name='6669']More like Van Wilder. He just wants to be near 18 year old girls for the rest of his life.[/quote]
Can someone tell me what's wrong with this statement?

Because I wouldn't mind being around young girls all my life either. Men of power do this all the time. 40 year old dudes hooking up with 20 year old girls. That's the American Dream!

Look at that Girls Gone Wild guy. Everyone hates him, yet at the same time want to be him. Better than being around oldbags and single mothers. Yeah, the real world is such a damn blast.

I know I would be dead if I stayed in college that long. There's only so many funnels and keg-stands one man can do. Shut up liver! *punch*

The first comparison that sprang to mind was Kevin Federline crossed with Jeremy Piven's character in PCU-- kind of a pretty boy, party animal, but much older and sadder.

[quote name='jmcc']Whitewater really isn't either, I don't think. It's business and administration focused from what I've heard from some of my advisors.[/QUOTE]

no, it's not.

[quote name='Apossum']true, it's not 100% liberal arts, though I'd say the liberal arts area of the school is about the size of a private lib arts school. :lol: I guess I was just thinking of my areas of interest and my major. But if you look at the whole place, it is mainly lib arts. the College of Letters and Sciences is the largest in the university (probably the largest in the UW system as well), and when you're in Madison, you can really see that reflected in the city/downtown campus area. and, as you know, the business college is highly selective and I believe the engineering college is the same way. that leaves you with some of the smaller and more specialized colleges.

maybe that doesn't apply to the other UW campuses. Despite that this guy's at whitewater and that they may not focus on lib arts, if you're in school for 13 years, you can safely call your education "liberal." Shit, it's past the point of being liberal-- it's more escapist and indulgent :lol:[/QUOTE]

I know. I'm just being technical. UW IS a liberal arts focused school. It just isnt technically because it's a research university. They have a pretty good business school though.

[quote name='jPoD']no, it's not.

I know. I'm just being technical. UW IS a liberal arts focused school. It just isnt technically because it's a research university. They have a pretty good business school though.[/QUOTE]

true.

funny how I immediately thought you were referring to me ragging on the guy for being a drunk. Shows what reputation comes with the association :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']true.

funny how I immediately thought you were referring to me ragging on the guy for being a drunk. Shows what reputation comes with the association :lol:[/QUOTE]

No, I wasnt. Who's rep. are you talking about?

[quote name='jPoD']no, it's not.[/QUOTE]Whitewater's College of Business & Economics program has the second highest number of majors in the school, after only the catch-all Letters & Sciences.

[quote name='jmcc']Whitewater's College of Business & Economics program has the second highest number of majors in the school, after only the catch-all Letters & Sciences.[/QUOTE]

Ok, kool. I'm just saying...UW-W is part of the University of Wisconsin system which is a public research school. It isnt a liberal arts school.

Wow, there's a lot of animosity toward this guy. I really don't see the big deal. He's not harming anyone else with what he's doing. He enjoys college and hasn't decided what else to do with his life yet. Hell, he could have skipped college, become an alcoholic/drug addict, and caused plenty of problems for the rest of society but instead he's decided to explore college for 13 years. If he did become an alcoholic or drug addict, would you feel sorry for him then for being left behind by society, or would you be pissed that he is causing nothing but problems for society?

I guess this just shows you how quick people are to pass judgement on other people they know very little about. I mean I don't really know enough about the guy to make any firm statements about him myself but I do know this; the guy is doing a hell of a lot more with his life at this point than a LOT of people out there. Sure he hasn't graduated and gotten a high paying super job yet but what's the difference? So he isn't making a lot of money, does that mean people that work for non-profit organizations and make very little money are losers as well?

We've been taught that you graduate high school, go to college, graduate in 4 years, work for 30-40 years, retire, and die. Maybe this guy wants to do things a little different. Who's to say he's wrong? Obviously this guy works pretty hard as it is such that he can afford to support himself AND pay an un-state supported tuition cost. If you ask me that says a hell of a lot about his work ethic versus those of us who had our parents pay for everything through college (hey, I'm guilty too).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wow, there's a lot of animosity toward this guy. I really don't see the big deal. He's not harming anyone else with what he's doing. He enjoys college and hasn't decided what else to do with his life yet. Hell, he could have skipped college, become an alcoholic/drug addict, and caused plenty of problems for the rest of society but instead he's decided to explore college for 13 years. If he did become an alcoholic or drug addict, would you feel sorry for him then for being left behind by society, or would you be pissed that he is causing nothing but problems for society?

I guess this just shows you how quick people are to pass judgement on other people they know very little about. I mean I don't really know enough about the guy to make any firm statements about him myself but I do know this; the guy is doing a hell of a lot more with his life at this point than a LOT of people out there. Sure he hasn't graduated and gotten a high paying super job yet but what's the difference? So he isn't making a lot of money, does that mean people that work for non-profit organizations and make very little money are losers as well?

We've been taught that you graduate high school, go to college, graduate in 4 years, work for 30-40 years, retire, and die. Maybe this guy wants to do things a little different. Who's to say he's wrong? Obviously this guy works pretty hard as it is such that he can afford to support himself AND pay an un-state supported tuition cost. If you ask me that says a hell of a lot about his work ethic versus those of us who had our parents pay for everything through college (hey, I'm guilty too).[/QUOTE]

I know enough about him to deduce this: He's spent THIRTEEN years in college. If he wants to do something, go travel or something. He's wasting his time. He's a moron.

[quote name='6669']More like Van Wilder. I dont think that guy wants to graduate. What a loser. He seems like a creep who just wants to be near 18 year old girls for the rest of his life.[/quote]

You know what the best part about college girls is? I keep getting older and they stay the same age.

bread's done
Back