3D Blu-Ray thread

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I decided to put a list together of currently available and soon to be available 3D blu-rays and I will keep a current list of the exclusives. I am keeping it to US available. I am only focusing on those blu-rays that require a 3D television/blu-ray player.

Currently Available (Non-exclusives)
3D Aquarium
3D Magic Forest
3D Safari Africa
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Adventure Coral Reef Under the Sea of Egypt
The Adventures of Tintin
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Nature
Amazing Ocean
The Amazing Spider-Man
Amazon In the Heart of Wild Nature
Arthur Christmas
The Avengers
Bait
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Brave
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cars
Cars 2
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Chicken Little
A Christmas Carol
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Cirque Du Soleil - Worlds Away
Clash of the Titans
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Conan the Barbarian
Coraline
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Creature from the Black Lagoon (Classic Monsters Collection)
Croods
The Darkest Hour
Day of the Dead
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Dial M for Murder
Dolphin Tale
Dredd
Drive Angry
Epic
Escape from Planet Earth
Fascination Coral Reef
Fascination Coral Reef Mysterious Worlds Underwater
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5
Finding Nemo
Flying Monsters (40 min. cut)
Flying Monsters (70 min. cut) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (HK - English subs)
Frankenweenie
Fright Night
G-Force
Galapagos Charles Darwin's Big Adventure
Gamer
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghosts of the Abyss
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie
Gnomeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
The Green Hornet
Green Lantern
Guardians of the Lost Code (Brijes)
Gulliver's Travels
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters with Digibook (Target exclusive)
Happy Feet Two
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Best Buy Exclusive)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Best Buy Exclusive)
A Haunting in Salem
History in 3D
History of the World in Two Hours
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Theatrical)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
Hotel Transylvania
House of Wax
How to Train Your Dragon
Hugo
I, Robot
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
IMAX: Arabia
IMAX: Born to Be Wild
IMAX: Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
IMAX: Deep Sea
IMAX: Dinosaurs Alive!
IMAX: Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia
IMAX: Dolphins and Whales
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk
IMAX: Hubble
IMAX: Legends of Flight
IMAX: Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
IMAX: Ocean Wonderland
IMAX: Rescue
IMAX: Sea Rex: Journey to a Prehistoric World
IMAX: Sharks
IMAX: Space Station
IMAX: To the Arctic
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti
IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream
IMAX: Under the Sea
IMAX: Wild Ocean
Immortals
Iron Man 3
Jack the Giant Slayer
Jillian's Travels: Africa
John Carter
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Jurassic Park
Katy Perry: Part of Me
Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D
Khumba
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Last Airbender (Best Buy Exclusive)
Legend of the Guardians
Life of Pi
The Lion King
The Lion of Judah
The Little Mermaid
Little Rascals Best of Our Gang
The Lorax
Lord of the Dance
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Mars in 3D: Images from the Viking Mission
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Megamind
Men in Black III
Monster House
A Monster in Paris
Monsters, Inc.
Monsters University
Monsters vs. Aliens
My Bloody Valentine
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Nitro Circus: The Movie
The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film
Open Season
Oz the Great and Powerful
ParaNorman
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London
Piano Pieces from Mozart, Elgar & Pezzone
Piranha 3D
Piranha 3DD
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
The Polar Express
Priest
Prometheus
Puss in Boots
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Rio
Rise of the Guardians
Sadako
Sanctum
Satchurated: Live in Montreal
Saw: The Final Chapter
The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live
Sector 7 (Korean - English subs)
Secret of the Wings
The Shock Labyrinth (JP - English subs)
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek the Third
Shrek Forever After
Silent Hill: Revelation
The Smurfs
Spiders
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience
Spy Kids Game Over/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
Star Trek Into Darkness (Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set)
Step Up 3D
Step Up Revolution
Tangled
Tekken: Blood Vengeance
Texas Chainsaw
Thor
The Three Musketeers
Titanic
Titanic: 100 Years in 3D
Top Gun
Tormented
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story Collection
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Tron Legacy
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron (Special Edition)
A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise
Underworld: Awakening
Up
Upside Down (2D/3D BD or BD/DVD Combo)
The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System
The Universe in 3D
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Collector's Edition)
Wrath of the Titans
Wrath of the Titans (Steelbook) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Wreck-It Ralph
WWII in 3D
Yogi Bear

Coming Soon

TBA

The Hole
Madagascar
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Resident Evil: Damnation
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

For Blu-ray 3D Trading:
Cheap Ass Gamer - Official 3D Blu-ray Trade Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the fence about whether or not Avatar is going to actually be released in a standalone version (that isn't $100 or more) in February.

As far as I know Panasonic only has exclusivity rights until the end of January/beginning of February so I would think that Fox would jump right on that... but the mention of Titanic in 3D does make me wonder if they'd wait until Titanic is released theatrically and release Avatar on Blu-ray 3D around that time. That'd only be waiting until early April (the 6th, to be exact)... so it's a definite possibility.

I'm still guessing we're going to see SOME form of standalone Avatar Blu-ray 3D release in Feburary (maybe just a standalone of the theatrical version with the extended in April) because I don't think Fox will stand for Panasonic continuing to make lots of money on their 3D glasses kits just because they come with Avatar. I know the first thing I did when I got the glasses was to sell Avatar on eBay (to someone from marketing at Fox studios, interestingly enough)... and I don't regret it one single bit! It was a great choice especially since it virtually halved the amount I paid for my 3D glasses!!!

In any case, if anyone out there still has a sealed 3D copy of Avatar and hasn't sold it yet, I'd definitely get on it... I don't think you'll have that much longer to turn a (ridiculous) profit on it! ;)

Appreciate the reply. This exclusivity nonsnese is just business but they really arent doing the consumers any favors making these products so elusive/expensive. Lets be honest, are these deals selling more tvs? If these were readily available on release more people would have it, show it off to friends and possibly generate much more interest as opposed to the general confusion surrounding avatar 3d blu.

Will the consumer interest for the 3d copy of avatar be nearly as great as the initial blu release? Who knows but its a shame that people who made the jump to 3d and invested in the extra equiptment are made to wait so long. The How to train your dragon samsung deal was another one that was tough waiting out.

[quote name='GizmoGC']No one has the 3D up for pre-order. Not Amazon, Target or Best Buy.

Might just get skipped over in America[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it was confirmed that only the UK, I believe, is getting the 3D version.

Bought final destination5 from best buy as part of deal in $16.99 as they cancel my orders i placed on black friday and gave me $8 credit .its awesome 3D movie .unlike final destination3D there is much Less bloodsplatter ,more story and more realistic deaths . It is directed by assisstant director of Avatar and he really put good use of 3D.don't miss it .

This is probably a stupid question to ask in here but what is everyone's opinion on these movies for viewing at home? I am going to be buying a new flat screen TV this year (probably towards the end of the summer and probably at least 60") and I am debating whether or not I should get a 3D capable set. It seems like it might be a hassle with the glasses and viewing angles and everything but I honestly don't have any idea... also, is this catching on like HDTVs started to do a decade ago or is this just a passing fad?

@javery no one has seen future so discussion is just assumptions .Final decision should base on your own choice as nothing has guarantee.Even your or mine life.We are live today tomorrow may be not so enjoy what you want' while you can.
HDTV should remain in business for approx two decades they aren't goning to die .3D may change in coming years but that change will take atleast 6 to 7 years .Even it adopt itself glass free during this period it'll be very expensive for masses right away until price drop so on safe bet for atleast 8 years your 3D TV last and HD for two decades.

3D then start another discussion .out of screen vs in depth effect . i'm fully agree with him as i like more out of screen effect then depth .

To label 3D as a gimmick is just incorrect when it's used properly.

I still remember The Muppets in 3D at Disney and one of the characters (gonzo maybe?) points directly in your face. EVERYBODY in the theater thinks that the character is pointing at them. It's an amazing experience and I don't think anybody in the theater was thinking about anything other than the muppet pointing at them. You are drawn in more when those things happen. Not taken out of the scene.

Now, having said that, it has to be used sparingly. It's not cool to always have in-your-face shots. Your brain would tire of it. If you watch the behind the scenes of Tangled 3D BD (or maybe it was the Shrek 4 Dreamworks crew that said it), the directors talk about dialing up and down the depth of field in 3D so that your brain doesn't get used to seeing the in-your-face shots. They do this so that, when those shots do occur, your brain interprets those shots as something special. The directors can use 3D as another tool to draw your emotions into their film.

[quote name='Javery']This is probably a stupid question to ask in here but what is everyone's opinion on these movies for viewing at home? I am going to be buying a new flat screen TV this year (probably towards the end of the summer and probably at least 60") and I am debating whether or not I should get a 3D capable set. It seems like it might be a hassle with the glasses and viewing angles and everything but I honestly don't have any idea... also, is this catching on like HDTVs started to do a decade ago or is this just a passing fad?[/QUOTE]
You might as well get a 3D capable tv. The price isn't much more anymore. There is really no worry about viewing angles, that was just the earlier models. As far as movie studios are concerned 3D is here to stay. There are already 31 3d titles planned for release in 2012.
http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/3d/2012/

I just got into 3D Blu-ray and games and wanted to know where you guys go for deals on the movies and games? Also what are some essential ones to pick up for a beginner like myself?

[quote name='headpiece747']I just got into 3D Blu-ray and games and wanted to know where you guys go for deals on the movies and games? Also what are some essential ones to pick up for a beginner like myself?[/QUOTE]

If you have a PS3, get Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Super Stardust HD, Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D, and Wipeout. I have heard mixed things on Crysis 2 and Crysis 1, but I think eventually I'll give Crysis 1 a download.

For movies, to me, nothing tops Tron Legacy. Other's will say it's too conservative with 3D, but in this one, it's all about the depth and use of 3D. I just can't get over how much it improves the feel of the movies. Other awesome 3D blu's are the Imax Ultimate Wave and Grand Canyon docs. Pretty much any kid's animation movie will looke great. I have Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Lion King, Shreks, and Kung Fu Panda 2 and they all look freaking amazing. Drive Angry and Resident Evil Afterlife are spectacular live-action 3D as well. Oh, and Legend of the Guardian: Owls of Gahoul is a pants shitter as well.

In fact, the only bad 3D I have experience are the post conversions like Green Lantern, Thor, etc. I have heard Captain America is good though.

Now, get ready to get addicted to 3D!!!!

IMO Tron 3D wasn't near as impressive as Lion King or Drive Angry. It was okay..but I wasn't blown away. Cars 2 is great as well. Also, I was highly impressed with The Polar Express, but not as much as the others as mentioned.

[quote name='plus1zero']IMO Tron 3D wasn't near as impressive as Lion King or Drive Angry. It was okay..but I wasn't blown away. Cars 2 is great as well. Also, I was highly impressed with The Polar Express, but not as much as the others as mentioned.[/QUOTE]

I realize Tron is one of the most controversial 3D titles around. It either blows you away or leaves you cold. I don't know if it's a setup issue or what, but my brain cannot comprehend how this doesn't blow all that see it away. Again, this is just my opinion. Maybe my setup exaggerates the 3D or something. I will say when I first got my Acer DLP projector and threw Tron in, it was too dark and I saw almost no 3D. Now that I have had time to calibrate, etc. it is my "go to" reference disc.

Personally I think Avatar, Crysis 2, and Uncharted 3 are the better 3D games so far, Killzone 3 is like glass in the eyes. Avatar may not look the greatest, compared to Crysis & Uncharted, but it's got a ton of options you can tweak. Crysis is the best looking 3D FPS I've played so far, followed by Call of Duty: Blacks Ops, I haven't tried Resistance 3 yet.

I really wish they'd focus more on 3D, older games getting HD releases should include it as well. Games like Beyond Good & Evil, Resident Evil 4, Trine and Rochard would have looked great in 3D.

As far as Blus, I thought Disney's A Chistmas Carol had great use of 3D. I saw Pirates of the Caribbean and Resident Evil and wasn't impressed even though they were shot in 3D. CGI pretty much always wins, the whole scene can be in focus allowing you to look anywhere, you're not limited by depth of field. They can do things that just aren't possible with traditional lenses, like macro with more than a fraction of an inch in focus. There's a website called http://realorfake3d.com/ that lists whether or not the film was "shot" in 3D. It's not the best layout but it does seem up to date at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hollowfreak']Personally I think Avatar, Crysis 2, and Uncharted 3 are the better 3D games so far, Killzone 3 is like glass in the eyes. Avatar may not look the greatest, compared to Crysis & Uncharted, but it's got a ton of options you can tweak. Crysis is the best looking 3D FPS I've played so far, followed by Call of Duty: Blacks Ops, I haven't tried Resistance 3 yet.

I really wish they'd focus more on 3D, older games getting HD releases should include it as well. Games like Beyond Good & Evil, Resident Evil 4, Trine and Rochard would have looked great in 3D.

As far as Blus, I thought Disney's A Chistmas Carol had great use of 3D. I saw Pirates of the Caribbean and Resident Evil and wasn't impressed even though they were shot in 3D. CGI pretty much always wins, the whole scene can be in focus allowing you to look anywhere, you're not limited by depth of field. They can do things that just aren't possible with traditional lenses, like macro with more than a fraction of an inch in focus. There's a website called http://realorfake3d.com/ that lists whether or not the film was "shot" in 3D. It's not the best layout but it does seem up to date at least.[/QUOTE]

Hollow - are you referring to Cysis on the PS3 off psn download?

I have and love Crysis 2 on the 360, but it's a pain to hook the 3D up that way, so I want to give Crysis 1 a shot.

Thanks,

Just to add, I got the movie " this aint... Ghostbusters XXX" this week. The 3d effect is decent lol. This, is obviously not suited for anyone under the age of 18. Just putting it out there, studio's like Hustler are stepping up to the 3d plate. More bewbs? Yes please! :)

[quote name='hollowfreak'] There's a website called http://realorfake3d.com/ that lists whether or not the film was "shot" in 3D. It's not the best layout but it does seem up to date at least.[/QUOTE]

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations so far and I will be checking into all of them. The only think I have seen in 3D so far is The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader that came with my Sony 3D glasses and my wife and I liked it so I can't wait to see something in Real 3D. Thanks hollowfreak for the website so now I can see what was shot in 3D and what is not.

[quote name='headpiece747']Thanks hollowfreak for the website so now I can see what was shot in 3D and what is not.[/QUOTE]

Np, Google did all the work anyway. :lol:

[quote name='lukenot']Hollow - are you referring to Cysis on the PS3 off psn download?

I have and love Crysis 2 on the 360, but it's a pain to hook the 3D up that way, so I want to give Crysis 1 a shot.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was referring back to Crysis 2 (PS3) just without the 2. I haven't played Crysis 1 yet although I heard it uses the same engine as 2, so I'm assuming the 3Ds pretty much setup the same.
Why is it a pain to hook up? I have a 4(in) x 2(out) hdmi splitter/switch from monoprice, 1 output goes to my receiver and back to my TVs hdmi 2(2D) and the other goes to my TVs hdmi 3(3D).

[quote name='hollowfreak']Np, Google did all the work anyway. :lol:

Sorry, I was referring back to Crysis 2 (PS3) just without the 2. I haven't played Crysis 1 yet although I heard it uses the same engine as 2, so I'm assuming the 3Ds pretty much setup the same.
Why is it a pain to hook up? I have a 4(in) x 2(out) hdmi splitter/switch from monoprice, 1 output goes to my receiver and back to my TVs hdmi 2(2D) and the other goes to my TVs hdmi 3(3D).[/QUOTE]

The pain comes from me running a two projector setup. I have my 360 attached to my 1080p projector and the PS3 to my 720p Acer 3D projector. The 360 is set to output audio and video through hdmi, so when I hook it up to the Acer (manually unplug/plug in) I have to then make adjustments on the 360 settings such as optical audio out and in some cases reduce resolution - my 3D convertor only outputs SBS 3D at 720p and 1080i. It's maybe two minutes of work, but I'm super lazy. I'm sure it would be worth it if there was more content on the 360 in 3D, but right now I only have Gears 3 and Crysis 2 on the 360. I've even considered just buying Crysis 2 for the PS3 since I'm THAT lazy. Thanks.

[quote name='lukenot']I realize Tron is one of the most controversial 3D titles around. It either blows you away or leaves you cold. I don't know if it's a setup issue or what, but my brain cannot comprehend how this doesn't blow all that see it away. Again, this is just my opinion. Maybe my setup exaggerates the 3D or something. I will say when I first got my Acer DLP projector and threw Tron in, it was too dark and I saw almost no 3D. Now that I have had time to calibrate, etc. it is my "go to" reference disc.[/QUOTE]

I have a Sony HX800, the 3D is pretty impressive on most of the stuff I've tried. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad disc at all, but I just didn't like the 2D to 3D switch so much. The light cycle segment was pretty good.

this tron 3d blu, seems to be a real divider among 3d folk, I have watched it on two different setups, my 3d dlp and my 3d plasma. When I watched it on my dlp I was not impressed, it was mediocre at best, then I watched it several months later on my plasma and it blew me away. So I definitely think it might be a setup issue, as it does not seem to play great on everyone's set up.

[quote name='beatngurnuts']this tron 3d blu, seems to be a real divider among 3d folk, I have watched it on two different setups, my 3d dlp and my 3d plasma. When I watched it on my dlp I was not impressed, it was mediocre at best, then I watched it several months later on my plasma and it blew me away. So I definitely think it might be a setup issue, as it does not seem to play great on everyone's set up.[/QUOTE]

I only have a DLP, and I really liked Tron: Legacy.

[quote name='beatngurnuts']this tron 3d blu, seems to be a real divider among 3d folk, I have watched it on two different setups, my 3d dlp and my 3d plasma. When I watched it on my dlp I was not impressed, it was mediocre at best, then I watched it several months later on my plasma and it blew me away. So I definitely think it might be a setup issue, as it does not seem to play great on everyone's set up.[/QUOTE]

My son and I thought Tron was garbage in 3D. For reference we have a Samsung 51" Plasma and were using a PS3 as the player. So far my favorite 3D movie we have watched was "Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole". I highly recommend that movie to anyone who hasn't seen it though it might be too scary for younger kids.

Legend of the guardians is great, my plasma is a samsung as well, but I was using a samsung 3d blu player when I watched tron(when I watched it on my dlp I used my ps3) not saying that is the issue.

I watched tron on my 3D projector, 100" screen, and it was awesome! It almost felt like Imax when it changed to 16:9, and the depth was incredible, no cross talk either! I'd re watch any time.

[quote name='gokou36']Any places even selling Shark Night 3D?[/QUOTE]

Amazon UK has it, but it appears to be region B locked.

[quote name='Javery']This is probably a stupid question to ask in here but what is everyone's opinion on these movies for viewing at home? I am going to be buying a new flat screen TV this year (probably towards the end of the summer and probably at least 60") and I am debating whether or not I should get a 3D capable set. It seems like it might be a hassle with the glasses and viewing angles and everything but I honestly don't have any idea... also, is this catching on like HDTVs started to do a decade ago or is this just a passing fad?[/QUOTE]

3D is definitely worth it. The resolution is generally better than a comparable 2D only set, since it has to be able to render twice. As stated earlier, it doesn't add much to the cost of the TV and even if no more 3D content was produced, there is plenty out there to enjoy. That being said, I am looking forward to movies such Star Trek 2 and Prometheus being released on blu-ray.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']3D is definitely worth it. The resolution is generally better than a comparable 2D only set, since it has to be able to render twice. As stated earlier, it doesn't add much to the cost of the TV and even if no more 3D content was produced, there is plenty out there to enjoy. That being said, I am looking forward to movies such Star Trek 2 and Prometheus being released on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

???

I have a 55" 3D TV. I rarely use the 3D on it, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Glasses are a hassle to me, and I don't like how other things look with them on.

I'm not wow'ed by 3D. So far, I've been wow'ed by one scene in Alice (which was an abysmal movie otherwise).

I have not played a second game where I felt the 3D added anything, Tumble being the only one.

I got my Samsung 46" 3D TV from Warehouse deals for $918 and its great! I was gonna buy a 46" BF deal for 800 with no 3D and with tax I was gonna end up paying like 60 bucks less and i wouldnt have Wi-Fi and 3D. I played uncharted 3 exclusively on 3D. I tried Arkham City but i dont know if it was my eyeballs but that didnt look 3D at all. I bought KZ3 from Best Buy and havent tried it. Next movie im looking forward to in 3D is TF Dark of the Moon.

I don't use my 3D as much as I should. I think I need some new glasses. I have the older Samsung (IR glasses) and the ones that came with the Kit are not comfortable. Any suggestions for off-brand? I was going to get the Sony PS3 ones, but I heard those are not comfortable either. Monoprice sells a pair pretty cheap also.

those of you who have a 3D tv and aren't wow at 3D or if your just curious, I would recommend taking a look at the LG 3D tv that Best Buy has for viewing. one of the sample movies that they have is IMAX: Under the Sea 3D. watch the big ugly brown fish coming at the camera scene and it'll turn even the non 3D believers want to buy it one. What sucks about the movie is that that particular 20 sec scene is the only eye popping wow factor in the entire movie. by the way I own a Panasonic 65VT30 and a 73" Mitsubishi DLP. gaming on the Mits and Blus on the Pan. I can also tell you guys that calibrating the tv really does make a difference if you want the "effects" to show up on either 2D or 3D viewing

[quote name='shinryu333']IMAX: Under the Sea 3D. watch the big ugly brown fish coming at the camera scene and it'll turn even the non 3D believers want to buy it one. What sucks about the movie is that that particular 20 sec scene is the only eye popping wow factor in the entire movie.[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific about the scene are you talking about? 90% of it is ugly brown fish! :)

bread's done
Back