3DS Ambassador games available now!

Oof. Similar to when all the E3 trailers were put up on the store, I find myself annoyed at the lack of a queued/bulk download system.

[quote name='d33jays']I hope they include an option to re-assign the NES' B and A buttons on the 3DS, because that slanted B-A set-up they have makes it awkward to do a run-jump on mario games. I encountered this problem on the Super Mario World GB I bought from the VC. Is there anyone else having this same problem or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

it never was a problem to me with super mario all stars or super mario world and the super nintendo controller has nearly identical button layout as the 3ds. i probably got used to the the slanted button layout since almost every console i can think of in the past decade is like that (ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, snes, n64, etc)

i think it's more annoying when the buttons aren't slanted like playing new super mario bros on a wii controller.

Hey gang, don't forget to tap on the Manuals for many of these games to see the in-game save instructions (not the same save state like the GB games in the Virtual Console [yet]):

1) Highlight or tap the NES game once on the main menu.
2) Tap on Manual
3) Scroll down and if your game supports an in-game save or password (ex: Legend of Zelda and Metroid, respectively) you'll see directions. I think I saw most of them involved pausing the game then pressing Y+L Button+R Button to switch to the 2nd player "controller", swapping back to 1st player controller and then pressing Up+A. This is the way it worked for me for both games.
4) Smile and grin at the quaint "hold down Reset" warning in The Legend of Zelda :D

While I can't find a source (someone help me out here), I swear I remember reading that these are the initial versions of the NES VC games for the 3DS. (EDIT: Yep, here's the article detailing what else will be updated for these NES games at a later date). Later updates would likely include a similar save state the eShop GameBoy games have. Let's also hope for button config like a previous poster mentioned. I also call for a smaller, harder to accidentally tap Reset button in later updates.

Anyway, I'm really happy with these free Ambassador Program games (well, Yoshi... echh) and I'm looking forward to the 10 GBA games later this year. Thanks, Nintendo, from the bottom of my heart! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='d33jays']I hope they include an option to re-assign the NES' B and A buttons on the 3DS, because that slanted B-A set-up they have makes it awkward to do a run-jump on mario games. I encountered this problem on the Super Mario World GB I bought from the VC. Is there anyone else having this same problem or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way, just trying out Metroid again. I also found the d-pad to be a little floaty on these titles.

[quote name='nightmare452']Yeah, Yoshi's first appearance was on the SNES Super Mario World game, but they did make an NES game featuring him (think Dr Mario style game).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi_%28video_game%29[/QUOTE]

Not quite Dr. Mario (you manipulated the falling pills and also rotated them horizontally or vertically). In "Yoshi" you only swap the columns of fallen objects. I remember playing this when it first came out and disliking Yoshi's particular column swap mechanic. Still, it's free for Ambassadors and it's hardly a terrible game. I'm likely to place it at the far right of my 3DS menu next to the yellow safety warning app later ;D

Yoshi (NES)​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWuFa4ySPw

Dr. Mario (NES)​
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziH6tVJwEU

LOL at the ambassador certificate taking way longer to download than any of the games. I was wondering what they were hiding in there, only to open it up and see....an image, chinsy music, and a notification in 3 languages.

Thanks op. I can't wait to have my son and daughter play these games. Its better then looking for my nes in all of those boxes in my storage.

[quote name='FairyLeviathan']Good find, it'll help alleviate any possible server clogs tomorrow when they actually release. Thanks OP =D

As for the games themselves, seems like a nice starting block to me.[/QUOTE]

The day NES games clog a server is the day the robots take over.

[quote name='mrosnwo']LOL at the ambassador certificate taking way longer to download than any of the games. I was wondering what they were hiding in there, only to open it up and see....an image, chinsy music, and a notification in 3 languages.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was really odd, too. Why couldn't they just update the eShop with an initial popup asking if the person wanted to be notified about Ambassador Program updates? Heck, why not just include it in the usual updates for AP members anyway?

The video was such a strange way to do it, and the button at the bottom wasn't even named the same as what they were telling you to press.

I love Nintendo but there are still a lot of things they need to improve upon in their downloadable service interfaces. This isn't a bashfest from me about Nintendo, just loving concern from a long-time fan :)

[quote name='6er']Wow. So they didn't want to use Nintendo video app or the simple notifications page? Seems a little redundant, to then download a new video app that sends you to a text message[/QUOTE]

there's probably something in there for future use.

[quote name='6er']Wow. So they didn't want to use Nintendo video app or the simple notifications page? Seems a little redundant, to then download a new video app that sends you to a text message[/QUOTE]

This is nintendo we're talking about here. They're not exactly all that great when it comes to online stuff.

[quote name='frpilot']it never was a problem to me with super mario all stars or super mario world and the super nintendo controller has nearly identical button layout as the 3ds. i probably got used to the the slanted button layout since almost every console i can think of in the past decade is like that (ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, snes, n64, etc)

i think it's more annoying when the buttons aren't slanted like playing new super mario bros on a wii controller.[/QUOTE]

Super Mario World uses B to jump and Y to run, with A being the spin jump. Super Mario All-Stars did this by default as well, although you could re-map them if you chose. The NES games use A and B, since those were the button names on the NES. Holding Y to run and B to jump feels much more natural, and I wish that was an option in these games.

I'm sure it's just a consequence of how their notifications system is set up. Notifications are managed through the spotpass functionality of each application. The easiest way for them to send a notification to only 3DS ambassadors is to create an application that only ambassadors have, and then send spotpass notifications to that application.

Assuming their NES emulator can handle spotpass they could have done the same thing with one of the ambassador NES games, but when the game was updated for the general public that functionality would disappear. Unless Nintendo already knows which of the NES games will be the last to get the full virtual console experience it wouldn't work.

Sort of off-topic:

I'm about to download the Ambassador games. Does anyone have thoughts on whether to upgrade the SD card now or later?

[quote name='sadboy']Sort of off-topic:

I'm about to download the Ambassador games. Does anyone have thoughts on whether to upgrade the SD card now or later?[/QUOTE]

U should be able to just use a pc to copy contents of the old card to a new one later on, I would think. Not Sure how Nintendo has it formatted on the 3ds, pop ur SD into a pc and you can find out

[quote name='sadboy']Sort of off-topic:

I'm about to download the Ambassador games. Does anyone have thoughts on whether to upgrade the SD card now or later?[/QUOTE]

The games are so small that even altogether they take up truly negligible little space. I think you'll be fine without immediately upgrading.

[quote name='6er']U should be able to just use a pc to copy contents of the old card to a new one later on, I would think[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can transfer files piecemeal from what I read in the 3DS manual. I don't have the manual on me right now, so I could be wrong.

[quote name='confoosious']Flip them for a profit![/QUOTE]

Flip the SD card with games downloaded. Then an real life achievement/trophy notification will appear saying "Flipping of Nintendo" will appear. Self worth and satisfaction will follow! :)

[quote name='JAlbertL']Downloaded all the titles. Now what?[/QUOTE]

sad-keanu.jpg

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']Flip the SD card with games downloaded. Then an real life achievement/trophy notification will appear saying "Flipping of Nintendo" will appear. Self worth and satisfaction will follow! :)[/QUOTE]

I thought it was self-loathing? :)

[quote name='Xellos2099']haha i got my ass kick in Zelda 1 and Metroid.... not looking forward to Zelda II lol.[/QUOTE]

Zelda II will destroy you, but the satisfaction of beating the final temple is unmatched in any other Zelda game.

Anyone with 5 minutes and a spare SD card willing to try to see if you can swap files to another card and they still play?? I would if was home

[quote name='6er']Anyone with 5 minutes and a spare SD card willing to try to see if you can swap files to another card and they still play?? I would if was home[/QUOTE]

I don't see an option to copy files to a new card, but you can re-download the games to the new card and they play.

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Darn, you beat me to it. I just had to download them first before coming here.

And in case someone is wondering just HOW to download these, and I'm positive someone is:

1. Go to the eShop.
2. Select "Settings/Other".
3. Select "Your Downloads".
4. Select "Redownload" on a title.
5. Select "Download".
7. Select "Continue".
8. Repeat Steps 2 - 7 10 more times (the 10th time for the Ambassador Certificate).[/QUOTE]
thanks, man. i guess they may have been there earlier, but i wasn't aware of the steps to take to download (i never go to links provided unless they are from amazon to order a game that got a price cut that i was unaware of).

this should be posted in the OP, imho. thanks for the link, OP (no pun intended, lol)!

[quote name='Jodou']Or we can simply enjoy those games the way they were meant to be played, on our old-school systems. Maybe we don't enjoy playing our games in teeny-weeny, eyestrain-o-vision. Try again?[/QUOTE]

Why would you buy a 3DS if you feel the screen is "teeny-weeny, eyestrain-o-vision"?

[quote name='UncleBob']Why would you buy a 3DS if you feel the screen is "teeny-weeny, eyestrain-o-vision"?[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have one and has nothing better to do than thread crap.

[quote name='Antipodes']He doesn't have one and has nothing better to do than thread crap.[/QUOTE]

He sounds bitter he missed out on the Ambassador program! :lol:

[quote name='Antipodes']He doesn't have one and has nothing better to do than thread crap.[/QUOTE]
You'd have a point if this wasn't in the wrong forum.[quote name='Fonz72']He sounds bitter he missed out on the Ambassador program! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Quite the contrary: I'm sick of people posting updates about it like this forum is a god damn twitter account.

[quote name='Fonz72']He sounds bitter he missed out on the Ambassador program! :lol:[/QUOTE]

just ignore him. he's a very sad and bitter little man.

[quote name='mutantchipmunk']lame i thought these were guna be somehow in 3d[/QUOTE]

If I understand right, if these games are ever updated to 3D, we get the 3D versions for free also.

bread's done
Back