3DS XL $159.99 @ Best Buy (Dec 9-15)

Back4more

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Found next weeks flyer at BB today. the blue/black, red/black, and pink/white 3DS XL's will be on sale for $159.99 Dec 9th thru 15th. I tried to get the price matched today but the salesperson wouldnt go for it. so I paid the $200 and I'll go back and get the price match sunday.

[quote name='iKhaotic']Just got back from picking up my bundle and yes the price match works. Best Buy will PM Target's PM lol. Go to pick up desk, ask to pick up your 3DSXL, when the worker comes back with the 3DSXL, show them the Target ad and >kindly< ask them if BB allows the PM. Tell the employee that you went to Target and asked them to PM BB's 3DSXL bundle and that they allowed it (you're not lying because they do it) but you want to get the bundle from BB because you want to use your RZ card (this was actually my intention anyways). They'll call a manager over and the manager will throw in a $20 gift card.

From my past experience of doing something like this however, DO NOT tell BB that Target is out of stock (even if it's true), otherwise the manager will say that they can't PM an OOS item. I'm pretty sure this would have happened if I said that the 3DSXL bundle was OOS at Target.

Anywho, used the $20 gift card to pick up two PS3 Killzone Trilogy controller bundles for $40 a piece, opened one in my car, and went straight to Gamestop to trade one pair in for a total of $50.30 ($26.10 for Killzone Trilogy and $24.20 for the controller after PUR bonus). Don't really have a use for more controllers so I may go back and trade in the second controller and keep just the game.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that's pretty ymmv. Went to Target to pm BB and they wouldn't give me their $20 gift card. It actually popped up and they would override to CANCEL it.
Guess I'll try to get BB to pm the Target gift card but I feel that it's only a 2% chance of working.

So got the deal at best buy, came out to $174.
Just sold my Regular 3ds+ mario kart cartridge for $157 on ebay. comes out to $143 with fees.

All in all I am pretty happy, cost me $30 to upgrade to a bigger screen.
Too bad the color is hideous.

[quote name='8bitgamer']So got the deal at best buy, came out to $174.
Just sold my Regular 3ds+ mario kart cartridge for $157 on ebay. comes out to $143 with fees.

All in all I am pretty happy, cost me $30 to upgrade to a bigger screen.
Too bad the color is hideous.[/QUOTE]

Hi 8bitgamer,
Im debating between the 3ds or 3ds xl. I have a ds lite and like it (play gba too) I heard fire emblem is coming on 3ds, so Im tempted to pick it up and since i just got a email today for beating halo 4 (amex $50 off $100)
I kinda want a pro vs con. Wonder if i need a bigger screen. Oh, how is the 3D view?headaches,etc.) I was going to wait for a 3ds with 2nd analog stick, but not sure if its going to happen. What gamesis required for the circle pad?

[quote name='bjstucker']is there anyway Amazon would match the BB price?[/QUOTE]

Amazon does not carry Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL. those you see are 3rd party sellers

[quote name='wilflare']Amazon does not carry Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL. those you see are 3rd party sellers[/QUOTE]

Knowing that i might back off on the kindle card , if there wont be 3ds system deals on amazon/:

[quote name='wilflare']gave them a call. but they said they don't price match promotions (Target).
I have no luck with this :/[/QUOTE]That is a massive crock and you are getting screwed or at least being given bad info. I'd bet the person you talked to had no idea what they were talking about. I just got back from Target and they price matched down to $159.99 and we walked out with the $20 GC. No fuss at all. Took no more than 5 minutes, if that. We had the local BB ad (stores are very close to each other) and they didn't even check BB stock even though I knew BB was fully stocked.

I understand that this can be a YMMV type of situation but Target's policy is that of doing a PM whenever possible. If I may suggest heading down to the store and being super nice to the folks in the electronics department you are very likely to be plesantly surprised and walk out with a shiny new 3DS XL and possibly a $20 gift card as well. :)

[quote name='JCrichton']That is a massive crock and you are getting screwed or at least being given bad info. I'd bet the person you talked to had no idea what they were talking about. I just got back from Target and they price matched down to $159.99 and we walked out with the $20 GC. No fuss at all. Took no more than 5 minutes, if that. We had the local BB ad (stores are very close to each other) and they didn't even check BB stock even though I knew BB was fully stocked.

I understand that this can be a YMMV type of situation but Target's policy is that of doing a PM whenever possible. If I may suggest heading down to the store and being super nice to the folks in the electronics department you are very likely to be plesantly surprised and walk out with a shiny new 3DS XL and possibly a $20 gift card as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Ditto, did the exact same thing. It took longer for the lady from electronics to walk me up to customer service with the XL than it did for them to ring up the $159.99 price and give me the $20 GC, no fuss. The only thing they weren't willing to do was to discount the price of the GC from the total, which is fine because I'll definitely use it.

[quote name='johnnypark']Ditto, did the exact same thing. It took longer for the lady from electronics to walk me up to customer service with the XL than it did for them to ring up the $159.99 price and give me the $20 GC, no fuss. The only thing they weren't willing to do was to discount the price of the GC from the total, which is fine because I'll definitely use it.[/QUOTE]
Nice.

It was such a great experience that we are considering getting a second unit so my wife and I can play at the same time.

No go for me, actually overheard employees giving instructions to each other not to PM the MK7 bundle, only the standalone system versions lol

Technically according to Target's policy it's not supposed to be done anyway as it falls under the items where a gift card is included by either retailer.

I had no problem PM at target. They scanned the system first, and immediately gave me the $20 GC. After I had the gift card in my hand, they price matched. However, I got extremely lucky. They read the price for the 3DS in BB ad not the 3DSXL. I walked out of there with a Mario kart 3dsxl for 129 w/ tax and a $20 GC. Best deal ever!

[quote name='Jorbgamer']I had no problem PM at target. They scanned the system first, and immediately gave me the $20 GC. After I had the gift card in my hand, they price matched. However, I got extremely lucky. They read the price for the 3DS in BB ad not the 3DSXL. I walked out of there with a Mario kart 3dsxl for 129 w/ tax and a $20 GC. Best deal ever![/QUOTE]

I would want to try to trick them too but i think it would be overkill lol.

[quote name='iKhaotic']Just got back from picking up my bundle and yes the price match works. Best Buy will PM Target's PM lol. Go to pick up desk, ask to pick up your 3DSXL, when the worker comes back with the 3DSXL, show them the Target ad and >kindly< ask them if BB allows the PM. Tell the employee that you went to Target and asked them to PM BB's 3DSXL bundle and that they allowed it (you're not lying because they do it) but you want to get the bundle from BB because you want to use your RZ card (this was actually my intention anyways). They'll call a manager over and the manager will throw in a $20 gift card.

From my past experience of doing something like this however, DO NOT tell BB that Target is out of stock (even if it's true), otherwise the manager will say that they can't PM an OOS item. I'm pretty sure this would have happened if I said that the 3DSXL bundle was OOS at Target.
[/QUOTE]

If you tell them that "you went to target" and they allowed a pricematch when you didn't, then yes you are lying. The ways you try to justify each lie make you sound like a 5 yr old. Just admit it, you're one shady mofo. :)

[quote name='scottman']If you tell them that "you went to target" and they allowed a pricematch when you didn't, then yes you are lying. The ways you try to justify each lie make you sound like a 5 yr old. Just admit it, you're one shady mofo.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't disparage 5 year olds like that.

oh oops.
i meant i tried to PM at Best Buy "Target PMing Best Buy"
already got my system at Best Buy.. hope they could add the $20 like they did for some of the fellow CAG here

[quote name='JCrichton']That is a massive crock and you are getting screwed or at least being given bad info. I'd bet the person you talked to had no idea what they were talking about. I just got back from Target and they price matched down to $159.99 and we walked out with the $20 GC. No fuss at all. Took no more than 5 minutes, if that. We had the local BB ad (stores are very close to each other) and they didn't even check BB stock even though I knew BB was fully stocked.

I understand that this can be a YMMV type of situation but Target's policy is that of doing a PM whenever possible. If I may suggest heading down to the store and being super nice to the folks in the electronics department you are very likely to be plesantly surprised and walk out with a shiny new 3DS XL and possibly a $20 gift card as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Ditto, walk in with the ad and just try. I did it twice at two different target stores and both times the manager would be called and both times they'd say "yes, he still gets the gift card." so its not a mistake you do get it. The people who pick up when you call are likely the laziest and most under payed so why would they bother to actually get up and check for you?

[quote name='The Punisher']Hi 8bitgamer,
Im debating between the 3ds or 3ds xl. I have a ds lite and like it (play gba too) I heard fire emblem is coming on 3ds, so Im tempted to pick it up and since i just got a email today for beating halo 4 (amex $50 off $100)
I kinda want a pro vs con. Wonder if i need a bigger screen. Oh, how is the 3D view?headaches,etc.) I was going to wait for a 3ds with 2nd analog stick, but not sure if its going to happen. What gamesis required for the circle pad?[/QUOTE]

I am glad i upgraded. The bigger screen makes a difference. I was just testing out my games today, and was happy. My only gripe was that my hands were hurting after playing Mario kart for a bit.

The only pro i give the regular 3ds is that it is cheaper+ has better colors.

Actually, the policy is that the price match does not include gift cards or BOGO offers. Once you price match the item, any gift card promotion should be void once the price is lowered. The people who are getting the price match and the $20 gift card are lucky that the store isn't following the policy to a T.

If you guys successfully price matched with the gift card, awesome. However, that isn't technically suppose to happen so do not get mad at the employees if they deny it. Some people may be getting in trouble for allowing that to happen. It is definitely YMMV. It depends on how strict the store manager and district follows policy. The stores in my area will not give the gift card too.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']Actually, the policy is that the price match does not include gift cards or BOGO offers. Once you price match the item, any gift card promotion should be void once the price is lowered. The people who are getting the price match and the $20 gift card are lucky that the store isn't following the policy to a T.

If you guys successfully price matched with the gift card, awesome. However, that isn't technically suppose to happen so do not get mad at the employees if they deny it. Some people may be getting in trouble for allowing that to happen. It is definitely YMMV. It depends on how strict the store manager and district follows policy. The stores in my area will not give the gift card too.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I said as much about the GC. The main point was about the PM. ;)

[quote name='8bitgamer']I am glad i upgraded. The bigger screen makes a difference. I was just testing out my games today, and was happy. My only gripe was that my hands were hurting after playing Mario kart for a bit.

The only pro i give the regular 3ds is that it is cheaper+ has better colors.[/QUOTE]

Get a $10-13 Nyko Battery Pak. It's definitely worth the investment and it makes the 3DS easier to grip.

Me on the other hand... I think I'm succumbing to upgrading from a 3DS to XL. I hope Nyko does a battery pak for the XL.

[quote name='SInX4Lyfe']I would want to try to trick them too but i think it would be overkill lol.[/QUOTE]

The funny part is I didn't try to trick them. I handed the employee the BB ad expecting to pay $160, but he's like oh ok $129. I thought he'd catch it, however, he didn't.

[quote name='JCrichton']Yup, I said as much about the GC. The main point was about the PM. ;)[/QUOTE]

I gotcha.

I just don't want people on CAG getting the wrong impression and lash out on poor Target employees if the gift card is refused. The Target holiday price match policy is kinda strange and new so it is not always understood fully even by the employees. I just wanted to elaborate further for you guys. I work for Target and I'm sure folks like me get enough ass-chewings this time of year, heh. By all means, give it a shot though. It seems a lot of Targets do not care.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I gotcha.

I just don't want people on CAG getting the wrong impression and lash out on poor Target employees if the gift card is refused. The Target holiday price match policy is kinda strange and new so it is not always understood fully even by the employees. I just wanted to elaborate further for you guys. I work for Target and I'm sure folks like me get enough ass-chewings this time of year, heh. By all means, give it a shot though. It seems a lot of Targets do not care.[/QUOTE]
More than fair enough. :)

I did my time in retail for nearly a decade. If more people would just live by the Golden Rule and the Don't Be a Dick Policy we'd all be better off, especially around the nutty holiday season in stores like Target.

I walked into BestBuy today with only the Killzone Trilogy/controller in mind, ended up walking out with the 3dsXL bundle and no killzone haha.

After playing around with my XL and comparing it to my friend's regular 3ds, I've noticed a few things about the handheld that bother me.

1. L/R don't press down as well as the 3ds or previous nintendo handheld iterations
2. Select/Home/Start are more difficult to press down than the 3ds.

These buttons are stubborn to press, especially Select/Home/Start, and do not make the clicking noise the 3ds buttons make. Is it just my XL or is everyone else's the same?

This is not to say I don't like the XL as I'm glad I purchased it, and the screens are excellent. I'm also happy with the stylus placement being placed back on the right side. I'm just baffled by the inferior buttons I mentioned. I'm hoping these buttons will break-in and work better in time.

Target would not let me PM and get the gift card. I know it's the policy (now) but they didn't explain it very well and left me not feeling well about the experience.

[quote name='Ghostrain']Target would not let me PM and get the gift card. I know it's the policy (now) but they didn't explain it very well and left me not feeling well about the experience.[/QUOTE]
Bummer. That one will certainly vary for each store. :cry:

[quote name='Ghostrain']Target would not let me PM and get the gift card. I know it's the policy (now) but they didn't explain it very well and left me not feeling well about the experience.[/QUOTE]

Did you wake up confused and with your pants unzipped? I would report that.

[quote name='scottman']Did you wake up confused and with your pants unzipped? I would report that.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I wasn't aware of the policy of not allowing gift cards with a PM. They didn't explain it, just said I don't get the gift card "because". Not having a good explanation didn't make it a great experience for me. That's it. I know I should have done research first, but I figured if the register cut a gift card they would have to honor it. Only after getting home did I read up on the policy and finally understand "why" I couldn't have a gift card. A few competent employees (there were 3 at the register by the time I was done being 'helped') could have told me it's policy, but none of them actually could.

I went to Target on Sunday with the ad I printed out from bestbuy.com. At first they were giving me the choice of either getting $40 off the price or get the $20 gift card. Of course I said the $40 but I wanted to speak to the Manager. I spoke to the Manager and got $40 off plus the $20 gift card. The price match has nothing to do with the gift card promotion that Target has with the item. It's not that Bestbuy was offering a gift card...that I understand they can't match. Target was offering the gift card if you purchased the item. What difference does it make if they price match that item from another store? That shouldn't affect whether or not I get the $20 gift card they are offering if you buy the item. Let's say Target was offering a coupon at the register for $20 if you spend $150 or more. You bring in an ad on an item and they match the price and it costs over $150. I guarantee you that cash register would print out the coupon because you satisfied the criteria of spending $150. Same with this. You bought the item and have a right to claim the $20 gift card that they themselves are offering.

[quote name='TheWatchersRebellion']I went to Target on Sunday with the ad I printed out from bestbuy.com. At first they were giving me the choice of either getting $40 off the price or get the $20 gift card. Of course I said the $40 but I wanted to speak to the Manager. I spoke to the Manager and got $40 off plus the $20 gift card. The price match has nothing to do with the gift card promotion that Target has with the item. It's not that Bestbuy was offering a gift card...that I understand they can't match. Target was offering the gift card if you purchased the item. What difference does it make if they price match that item from another store? That shouldn't affect whether or not I get the $20 gift card they are offering if you buy the item. Let's say Target was offering a coupon at the register for $20 if you spend $150 or more. You bring in an ad on an item and they match the price and it costs over $150. I guarantee you that cash register would print out the coupon because you satisfied the criteria of spending $150. Same with this. You bought the item and have a right to claim the $20 gift card that they themselves are offering.[/QUOTE]

I fullly agree with you in this. In case like that why even attempt to PM Target when I could easily get it for the same price over at Best Buy with no hassle. it just doesn't make no sense. The GC should be the deal breaker in order to buy the item at Target and not Best buy.

Crap... got my bundle home last night, opened it up, and there's a dead pixel in the middle of the top screen. Ugh. Now I have to find out when my Best Buy is actually getting more in. This sucks, since I basically can't even start using it as 'my 3DS' since I'm not going to transfer my info over to a system that I'm going to give back.

In terms of the exchange process... how strict is it? Is there any possible way I could go in today and get a manager to switch mine out for a non-bundle Blue/Black? I'm not all that concerned about Mario Kart, since I have the physical cart. I really (yes, I know... lack of patience) just want a working system as soon as possible. I just hate having $170 tied up in something that, really, is useless to me right now.

[quote name='007']Crap... got my bundle home last night, opened it up, and there's a dead pixel in the middle of the top screen. Ugh. Now I have to find out when my Best Buy is actually getting more in. This sucks, since I basically can't even start using it as 'my 3DS' since I'm not going to transfer my info over to a system that I'm going to give back.

In terms of the exchange process... how strict is it? Is there any possible way I could go in today and get a manager to switch mine out for a non-bundle Blue/Black? I'm not all that concerned about Mario Kart, since I have the physical cart. I really (yes, I know... lack of patience) just want a working system as soon as possible. I just hate having $170 tied up in something that, really, is useless to me right now.[/QUOTE]

3ds has dead pixels too ):?... Dang mayb getting warranty will kill this deal 4 me

[quote name='SInX4Lyfe']3ds has dead pixels too ):?... Dang mayb getting warranty will kill this deal 4 me[/QUOTE]

Yeah, bright white pixel dead center. Admittedly, though, I've owned every single iteration of the DS and 3DS up to this point and this is the first issue like this I've had.

I know Best Buy will exchange it and, worst case scenario, it can always be sent to Nintendo for free.

Honestly, it's nothing I'd worry about. I'm just annoyed because of the timing, since I picked it up to take it with me on holiday in a week.

[quote name='007']Yeah, bright white pixel dead center. Admittedly, though, I've owned every single iteration of the DS and 3DS up to this point and this is the first issue like this I've had.

I know Best Buy will exchange it and, worst case scenario, it can always be sent to Nintendo for free.

Honestly, it's nothing I'd worry about. I'm just annoyed because of the timing, since I picked it up to take it with me on holiday in a week.[/QUOTE]

Ahh i see. Hopefully i wont run into this when i buy one this week, your the first to report about a pixel in this thread so hopefully all goes well.

[quote name='scottman']If you tell them that "you went to target" and they allowed a pricematch when you didn't, then yes you are lying. The ways you try to justify each lie make you sound like a 5 yr old. Just admit it, you're one shady mofo. :)[/QUOTE]

I did go to Target and asked for a price match, and I did prefer to purchase at BB for the RZ points. No lying there. I think you got the impression that I was trying to lie because of the stuff I put in parenthesis which is just to help others in case they didn't know how to go about this PM.

Now you have me wanting to buy a 3DSxl from target. I had told myself I could wait until I cleared my 10 year backlog. But my kids might enjoy it and i have my Vita.

Did anyone have any luck pm Toys R Us for this deal? I think someone mentioned you either get one or the other, but I was wondering if someone was able to get the $30 gc and $159 price too.

Out of the two I'd rather have get the red one but I want the free game ... I hate dilemmas. Any reason to not want the game or anyway to completely cover up the blue, such as an aluminum case?

[quote name='hollowfreak']Out of the two I'd rather have get the red one but I want the free game ... I hate dilemmas. Any reason to not want the game or anyway to completely cover up the blue, such as an aluminum case?[/QUOTE]
The blue is much less toy looking in person. You may just dig the color.

As for covering it, you don't see it while playing if that makes and difference.

Mission Successful here. Just got back from my local Super Target with a successful Price match + $20 gift card. I was not expecting the GC since i was price matching but they provided it with no questions asked.

I was also able to Snag the Blue 3DSXL with Mario Kart Pre-Installed even though i already own it for extra bonus points.

Edit: I actually wanted the blue since i have the Mario DSiXL and was pleasantly surprised how much nicer the blue was out of the box. It has somewhat of a matte metallic look to it. Very Nice.

Anyone know any easy ways to transfer GS credit to Best Buy? It doesnt have to be a flip, it could be at a loss. I want this bundle and I have $300 in GS credit.

[quote name='MakaveliLPC']Anyone know any easy ways to transfer GS credit to Best Buy? It doesnt have to be a flip, it could be at a loss. I want this bundle and I have $300 in GS credit.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10266696#post10266696

----------

Also I bought mine today! They were out of the Mario one, so I ended up just getting the Red one, but hoping by some miracle they get some in stock by Saturday to do some exchange, but obviously there is a 0.000001% chance of that happening.

Still a good deal after the free $85 from American Express and Halo! So $74.99 prior to tax. Not a bad deal!

bread's done
Back