3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

Played a couple of them at Comic Con. Gotta say, they're nice. Feels similar to a DSi XL. Probably will trade my DSLite and XL towards one.

Heroes of Ruin in single player is soooo boring to me. The 3D on it, however, is incredible.

Like how Iwata basically said fuck you and deal with it to the consumers when asked why they couldn't put a 2nd circle pad on the xl and pulls a bunch bullshit saying a 2nd pad would make the unit even bigger. Damn shame that the Vita gets it right on the first try after criticism from only having a single nub on the psp yet it'll take Nintendo probably 3 iterations to get something that should have been standard years ago.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/13/3ds-xl-should-you-upgrade

Man i feel sorry for the Uk people they're getting fucked over on this, paying more and doesn't come with a charger, only plus side is that they're most likely getting better colors. And that lack of a resolution bump sounds stupid as fuck the way he describes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='renique46']Like how Iwata basically said fuck you and deal with it to the consumers when asked why they couldn't put a 2nd circle pad on the xl and pulls a bunch bullshit saying a 2nd pad would make the unit even bigger. Damn shame that the Vita gets it right on the first try after criticism from only having a single nub on the psp yet it'll take Nintendo probably 3 iterations to get something that should have been standard years ago.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/13/3ds-xl-should-you-upgrade

Man i feel sorry for the Uk people they're getting fucked over on this, paying more and doesn't come with a charger, only plus side is that they're most likely getting better colors. And that lack of a resolution bump sounds stupid as fuck the way he describes it.[/QUOTE]
Because Nintendo finds it dumb to spend a lot of money on another stick when a whole 5 games use the goddamn thing. The only mistake Nintendo made with a 2nd analog stick was making the Pro in the first place. You're playing Super Mario, not Call of fucking Duty.

[quote name='Bezerker']I hope the back isnt the same finish as the DSI XL. The finish on the DSI makes my hands itch whenever I play a game.[/QUOTE]I never had that problem with my Dsi XL but I had a clear plastic shell on mine to protect it.

[quote name='ryuk1214']Because Nintendo finds it dumb to spend a lot of money on another stick when a whole 5 games use the goddamn thing. The only mistake Nintendo made with a 2nd analog stick was making the Pro in the first place. You're playing Super Mario, not Call of fucking Duty.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe if they had built the second analog pad into the 3DS to begin with (huge mistake leaving that out), more games would have actually used it? This is a system supposedly based on "3D", its a no-brainer that the 2nd pad should have been included. Nintendo belatedly realized that and released the Circle Pad Pro, but honestly they should have had the 2nd pad in there on day 1. Big fuckup on their part, no doubt.

[quote name='ryuk1214']Because Nintendo finds it dumb to spend a lot of money on another stick when a whole 5 games use the goddamn thing. The only mistake Nintendo made with a 2nd analog stick was making the Pro in the first place. You're playing Super Mario, not Call of fucking Duty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree if I wanted something that required a 2nd circle pad then I'd probably play the console version.

I figured people complained/demanded so much for a 2nd analog stick that it was worth the money to Nintendo.

I'm guessing that the same will happen with the 3DS XL and most of the people who wanted it will buy 3DS XL circle pad pro accessory.

My problem with the CPP is that it makes the playing experience uneven, and makes it hard to keep the full 3D effect.

When in doubt blame call of duty which had absolutely nothing to do with what i typed, seriously its like when people know they're talking out of their ass they have to bring up call of duty for some reason.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Well maybe if they had built the second analog pad into the 3DS to begin with (huge mistake leaving that out), more games would have actually used it? This is a system supposedly based on "3D", its a no-brainer that the 2nd pad should have been included. Nintendo belatedly realized that and released the Circle Pad Pro, but honestly they should have had the 2nd pad in there on day 1. Big fuckup on their part, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

lol

Wow, just wow....some people can be so narrow-minded.

Let me just say a few things that come to mind when I look at 3DS XL.

I don't believe it's intended to be a revision of the original 3DS. It's simply a larger version offered as an alternative to those who struggle to see things on a small screen (the elderly, the visually-impaired, etc) or those who just prefer things a bit bigger. I don't think Nintendo is trying to say "Hey 3DS owners, you should get it because it's superior to the original in every way."

BTW, I'm visually-impaired so I believe XL will make it much easier for me to play Virtual Console games. I look forward to that.

As for the second circle pad, keep in mind it was a third-party publisher, not Nintendo, who came up with the optional control scheme that uses a second circle pad that's not even there in the first place. And that game wasn't even a launch title so it's rather silly to bash Nintendo for not having one in the first place.

Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will think about adding that extra circle pad to their first revision. It's not like they can simply tack it on and call it a day. No, it would require a lot of R&D, testing, hardware redesign and software recoding. Personally, I am fine about its absence. After all, there are only a few games that use the CPP as an optional add-on.

Life's short so honestly, it's silly to get bitter over something like that.

One more thing...what Iwata said about gamers "having to live with it"... I can see how that would offend some of you but I can't quite picture him being brash or the type who says "tough sh*t." I think there's something lost in translation...

Anyways, just thinking aloud here. And remember you have other platforms to enjoy instead if you don't like what Nintendo is doing. Isn't it just awesome to be offered so many choices (just think what it would be like living during the 1800s...no video games!)? Don't waste time bemoaning about every little (and sometimes inane) detail...instead enjoy what you do like.

That's all, f-f-f-f-folks!

I've actually been hoping for a 3DS XL. I love my DSi XL. As someone with very poor eyesight, the bigger screen helps me a lot. I was planning to hold out for one since the 3DS first launched but ended up getting a regular one as a gift, but I'll probably trade it in for an XL. I really don't care about it not having a second circle pad. I honestly can't see how it could enhance games much, at least the ones that I'm interested in.

wonder what would be the better buy LONG RUN ( at least a year)

DSI XL for 120
3DS XL FoR 200

at first you could say DSI XL for 120 and save 80 bucks BUT look at mags and you will see VERY little DS games even in the works compair to the 3DS... I would be sort of shocked if you even see more then 6 Ds games hit in 2013

[quote name='cochesecochese']a year is not long run[/QUOTE]

well if 6 Ds games hit in 2013 i doubt we see more then 2 or 3 in 2014 and none in 2015

just saying is a DSI XL really worth it anymore since lack of new games coming for it might as well just spend the extra 80

or does DS games look at bad on 3ds screens

[quote name='slidecage']well if 6 Ds games hit in 2013 i doubt we see more then 2 or 3 in 2014 and none in 2015

just saying is a DSI XL really worth it anymore since lack of new games coming for it might as well just spend the extra 80

or does DS games look at bad on 3ds screens[/QUOTE]

From what I have read, DS games play 1:1 on a XL so they actually look way better then they do on a regular 3ds. For 80 bucks more, you get access to the DS library as well as all the new 3ds games coming in the future.

I am def in for one but not sure if I want to buy on day one or wait for some giftcard offers or bundles (super Mario 2 bundle perhaps)

The 3DS XL is getting a lot of good review even without the 2nd analog stick. Hopefully this holiday season they will have a nice bundle with a game or even a circle pad pro XL.

I think I'm in for one... dammit. I'll give my 3DS to my son since it is all he wants to play these days and keep the new one for myself.

They missed the boat on not releasing an LE Bundle with New Super Mario Bros. 2 at launch. Though I'm sure it will come out at Thanksgiving...or something similar.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Wow, just wow....some people can be so narrow-minded.

I don't believe it's intended to be a revision of the original 3DS. It's simply a larger version offered as an alternative to those who struggle to see things on a small screen (the elderly, the visually-impaired, etc) or those who just prefer things a bit bigger. I don't think Nintendo is trying to say "Hey 3DS owners, you should get it because it's superior to the original in every way."

BTW, I'm visually-impaired so I believe XL will make it much easier for me to play Virtual Console games. I look forward to that.

As for the second circle pad, keep in mind it was a third-party publisher, not Nintendo, who came up with the optional control scheme that uses a second circle pad that's not even there in the first place. And that game wasn't even a launch title so it's rather silly to bash Nintendo for not having one in the first place.

Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will think about adding that extra circle pad to their first revision. It's not like they can simply tack it on and call it a day. No, it would require a lot of R&D, testing, hardware redesign and software recoding. Personally, I am fine about its absence. After all, there are only a few games that use the CPP as an optional add-on.

One more thing...what Iwata said about gamers "having to live with it"... I can see how that would offend some of you but I can't quite picture him being brash or the type who says "tough sh*t." I think there's something lost in translation...

Anyways, just thinking aloud here. And remember you have other platforms to enjoy instead if you don't like what Nintendo is doing. Isn't it just awesome to be offered so many choices (just think what it would be like living during the 1800s...no video games!)? Don't waste time bemoaning about every little (and sometimes inane) detail...instead enjoy what you do like.

That's all, f-f-f-f-folks![/QUOTE]

QFT.

There are a couple people on the forums that would bash Nintendo no matter what they did. If they started out with the second analog stick, they'd have said something about how stupid it was. There's no pleasing the notorious nintendo trolls.

Yeah, there are some users who will fairly or unfairly criticize nintendo for what they perceive to be lapses in judgement. Right or wrong, that's their own opinion and that's cool. But ignore the trolls that do NOTHING but bash Nintendo.

wait til the holidays, they'll likely have a bundle and possibly new colors. i'm waiting for a sweet deal and if nothing and i have to get blue or red, ill just wear a superman or spiderman t shirt when I play.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'll be importing the all white. That thing is killer. Killer![/QUOTE]
Too bad it's region locked :/

I'm hoping for a white/silver Kingdoms Hearts 3D Special Edition Bundle. Probably won't happen, but I can dream :D

I like both the red and blue, but will only pick one up at launch if someone runs a deal with NSMB2. Like a lot of you, I'm pretty sure a black or silver special edition bundle will be out around black Friday.

a couple well placed oval white decals and you can make the blue or red look mario themed proper. it wont be long before nyko, CTS, and someone else makes protective cases for these as well...and one with an opaque cover.

[quote name='100xp']a couple well placed oval white decals and you can make the blue or red look mario themed proper. it wont be long before nyko, CTS, and someone else makes protective cases for these as well...and one with an opaque cover.[/QUOTE]
The 3DS XL must be a dream for 3rd party companies like nyko. They get to cash in twice on battery pack expansions, hard cover cases, and the like. Nyko is one of the better ones out there, as their accessories make the gaming experience a better one as opposed to being a complete waste of space.

Hmm...maybe I'll hold out for a green, bronze or gold colored 3DS XL. I already have a cobalt blue DS lite, a silver PSP, and a flame red GBA SP.

If I had the money, I'd probably get a bronze DSi XL and a gold/Zelda 3DS.

[quote name='ryuk1214']The 3DS XL must be a dream for 3rd party companies like nyko. They get to cash in twice on battery pack expansions, hard cover cases, and the like. Nyko is one of the better ones out there, as their accessories make the gaming experience a better one as opposed to being a complete waste of space.[/QUOTE]

they've come a long way, that's all I can say. i honestly think the nyko wii magnums were so popular that's what helped them get their stuff out into the light. ppl were buying them and reselling them on ebay for $50 a piece, they retail for $14.99. i luckily got 2 for $20 and House of the dead has been a much better experience since.

not sure what they can do to hoop out the 3DS XL, it's already adult sized. a 2nd analog thumbstick attachment would kinda make it seem like the size of a usb keyboard. hee hee...and I was looking fwd to the nyko battery pack, cover, thumbstick combo for the 3DS.

...I also endorse the slightly noisy but sleek design of the nyko cooler fan for the xbox slim. (installation is wonky but it does the job if you're paranoid or have it in a less favorable area)

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...maybe I'll hold out for a green, bronze or gold colored 3DS XL. I already have a cobalt blue DS lite, a silver PSP, and a flame red GBA SP.

If I had the money, I'd probably get a bronze DSi XL and a gold/Zelda 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I have the original phat DS, the Gold Zelda DS Lite, the black DSi, Super Mario 25th Anniversary Mario Red DSi XL and the Zelda 3DS. :cool:

I'll be waiting for a special edition of the 3DS XL before jumping in.

I've got the Mario Hot Rod Tank DS, Gold Zelda DS lite and Dsi XL Burgundy.

Still on the fence for the 3DS XL, if they release a nice LE I'm all in.

the appealing design of the white 3DS XL is, it's all white inside and out...the blue and red "cover" just doesnt do it for me and it seems a lot of others. perhaps if it was all red or all blue it would more attractive.

What baffles me with the lack of color choices is that Nintendo generally seems to release a 'kid' color and an 'adult' color, for lack of a better term. That's a terrible way to put it, but you know what I mean. There's usually a bright color and then something a little more subdued. With the 3DS XL, though, it's just bright colors.

And, given that this seems designed to appeal to a slightly older crowd, it's a weird choice. I mean, personally, if there was a black, silver, or white option at launch, there's a 90% chance I would've broken and picked one up. With red and blue? It's not out of the question, but I might as well wait until the holiday to see if they announce some kind of bundle. I'm not embarassed to play a game system in public, but it being a bright toy-like color is just that one step too far for me.

[quote name='ryuk1214']The 3DS XL must be a dream for 3rd party companies like nyko. They get to cash in twice on battery pack expansions, hard cover cases, and the like. Nyko is one of the better ones out there, as their accessories make the gaming experience a better one as opposed to being a complete waste of space.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many people will be interested in the extras for the 3DS XL, it supposedly has a much better battery, so battery life will not be an issue. With the regular 3DS battery life is definitely an issue so more people were interested in an external battery pack. Its also smaller, so the external battery pack really doesn't add that much to it. I don't think people will want to make this thing bigger either, since its already pretty big. With the CPP being producedl, nyko will have to make something compatible with that or integrate a battery into their version of it somehow.

Any word on how DS games look on the 3DS XL. My two gripes with the 3DS are the hard select, start, and home buttons and having to decide between playing DS games in blurry or tiny modes.

I've read from numerous sources that the bigger screen makes the 3D "sweet spot" larger and the 3D more immersive, so I am damned tempted to pick one up. I love my 3DS, but the 3D (for me at least) is very meh. I think it is due to my astigmatism in both eyes actually (as I can see the 3D better with my contacts than with my glasses, if that maeks sense) so this would totally be worth it if it helped with that.

Now to find the optimal way to "trade up" (ie, transfer my ambassador status etc while making the most money back on my current 3DS)...

Anyone know if anything does NOT transfer (such as puzzle piece collection)?

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Wow, just wow....some people can be so narrow-minded.

That's all, f-f-f-f-folks![/QUOTE]

here's the problem, for me at least:

there are a lot of games on the 3ds i'd really like to play, such as mario 3ds, zelda oot remake, mario kart 3d, new marios bros 2, etc. but if there are some games out there that have the second analog stick option, i'd like to play them as well if they're quality games, and i would hate to have to purchase the add on peripheral just to get the optimum playing experience. 1 analog stick is antiquated, but nintendo is too stubborn to admit it. i'm not going to whine about it like some people, but i'm going to hold off on buying a 3ds until they include a second analog stick as part of the hardware design.

bread's done
Back