4 million Wii consoles sold worldwide! The craze continues!

Sitting on shelves, yeah right.

In any case, I guess this means Sony achieved their goal of 1 million PS3s by year's end, while Nintendo is 5 million short of their crazy 8 million prediction.

Good for Nintendo though, that's really awesome.

[quote name='seanr1221']:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
I'd sure love to find one of those consoles, I have a friend who has been searching since launch for one.

[quote name='whoknows']I'd sure love to find one of those consoles, I have a friend who has been searching since launch for one.[/QUOTE]

We must live in a fantasy world. Didn't you read that link, they are rotting on the shelves!

Hmmm. So what are the chances a million Wiis appear in the retail chain so Nintendo can meet their 4 million claim on Sunday? Or was that at least 4 mil by the end of fiscal 06?

Then why does this site say completely different numbers?

Xbox 360 Sells Nine-Million
12/26/2006, 6:21pm Eastern Time

Blame it on a lack of units from the competition or a one year head start, but Microsoft's latest console, Xbox 360, has hit the nine-million unit mark, while Wii and Playstation 3 lag way behind.

As Nextgenwars.com has reported, Wii has managed to move just short of two-million units within its first few weeks, while Playstation 3, launching just a few days before Wii in America, is at a meager eight-hundred thousand.

It's still early, however, considering that Xbox 360 launched last year, and anything is possible. Nextgenwars.com will continue to track system sales, so check back often for the latest.

360 = 9 million
Wii = 2 million
PS3 = 800,000 (which seems to be a correct number)

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1167175313

[quote name='dallow']Sitting on shelves, yeah right.[/QUOTE]

It's no lie... we had them at our Costco for a full day and a half before they all sold which is pretty pathetic for a console launch with such a low supply. Countless people picked them up, looked at them, and then walked away ("So this is what a waste of $600 looks like!").

edit: Here's the sight I saw when I walked into work at 1:30PM last week:

1219061336wa3.jpg

2 full pallets of PS3s, rotting on the floor.

[quote name='dallow']Sitting on shelves, yeah right.

[/quote]

I have been to 2 stores in the week before christmas that had PS3's sitting there for at least 4 days. Sitting on shelves, not quite, but much different than the the demand for the Wii.

[quote name='David85']Then why does this site say completely different numbers?

As Nextgenwars.com has reported, Wii has managed to move just short of two-million units within its first few weeks, [/QUOTE]

its been over a month since its been out so I can believe it sold close to 3million

[quote name='Diiz']It's no lie... we had them at our Costco for a full day and a half before they all sold which is pretty pathetic for a console launch with such a low supply. Countless people picked them up, looked at them, and then walked away ("So this is what a waste of $600 looks like!").

2 full pallets of PS3s, rotting on the floor.[/quote]
Are those being sold in bundles, and how much do they go for?

Seems quick to me for a package nearing a grand.

[quote name='Diiz']It's no lie... we had them at our Costco for a full day and a half before they all sold which is pretty pathetic for a console launch with such a low supply. Countless people picked them up, looked at them, and then walked away ("So this is what a waste of $600 looks like!").

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4766/1219061336wa3.jpg

2 full pallets of PS3s, rotting on the floor.[/QUOTE]
Is that the Corona or Moreno Valley (Riverside) CostCo?

[quote name='David85']Then why does this site say completely different numbers?

Xbox 360 Sells Nine-Million
12/26/2006, 6:21pm Eastern Time

Blame it on a lack of units from the competition or a one year head start, but Microsoft's latest console, Xbox 360, has hit the nine-million unit mark, while Wii and Playstation 3 lag way behind.

As Nextgenwars.com has reported, Wii has managed to move just short of two-million units within its first few weeks, while Playstation 3, launching just a few days before Wii in America, is at a meager eight-hundred thousand.

It's still early, however, considering that Xbox 360 launched last year, and anything is possible. Nextgenwars.com will continue to track system sales, so check back often for the latest.

360 = 9 million
Wii = 2 million
PS3 = 800,000 (which seems to be a correct number)

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1167175313[/quote]

Apparently Next-Gen wars doesn't keep as accurate a count as VGCharts does.

I've seen a few around here, at least two of them just sitting... one was there for more then a week before it was sold (at Target.)

Without saying that VGCharts.org is gospel, Nextgenwars basically just uses a formula to predict how many consoles are sold, so it's only accurate on the day that official data is released and they update their numbers to match.

And Nintendo's goal was 4 million worldwide by the end of the year. Sony was going for 2 million, I believe. Don't recall what their fiscal year goals were.

yesterday (day after Xmas) at TRU when they store opened the ony hardware they have were gamecubes and 1 ps3.

[quote name='dallow']In any case, I guess this means Sony achieved their goal of 1 million PS3s by year's end, while Nintendo is 5 million short of their crazy 8 million prediction.[/quote]

Where'd you get that 8 mil from? Nintendo said they were aiming for 4 million by year's end. They didn't quite make it, but they sure as hell came close.

looks like good news for the wii and the 360 (going by nextgen's numbers) I hope the 360 hits the 10mill mark b4 the end of the year

[quote name='Purple Flames']Where'd you get that 8 mil from? Nintendo said they were aiming for 4 million by year's end. They didn't quite make it, but they sure as hell came close.[/quote]

at one point in the middle/end of summer early fall time period somebody was saying that they would hit 8mill by years end. I don't know if it was an analyst or someone from nintendo that said that number.

1.) At the store I work at, PS3s do sell, but they tend to hang around for a bit (typically until the next morning). Wiis sell out in about an hour.

2.) Some areas have reported PS3s sitting on the shelves. See the blurry 'Bigfoot-esque' picture above.

3.) If Nintendo said "By the end of the year", they likely meant by the end of their fisical year...

4.) Neither NexGenWars.com or VGCharts are any more reliable than my Magic Eight Ball. Although, every time I ask it how many Wiis have been sold, it always says "8". I think I'm using it wrong.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Where'd you get that 8 mil from? Nintendo said they were aiming for 4 million by year's end. They didn't quite make it, but they sure as hell came close.[/quote]
I do remember some early crazy figure of 8 million being thrown around.
More recently however, it was stated as 4 million.

Anyone see that PS3 has taken over Wii in sales on Amazon.co.jp?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/
(updated every hour, so things change)

First time it's done that, now that Sony has supplied them with ample quantiity.

(and gta san andreas at number 15, nice, ha)

[quote name='dallow']I do remember some early crazy figure of 8 million being thrown around.
[/quote]

So Microsoft has sold 9 million in a year or so and you guys think that Nintendo would throw out a number that they would sell almost that in a month or so? Sounds extremely hard to believe.

The main reason the Wii flys off the shelf quicker than the PS3 is price.

I walked into a BB, was told they actually had Wiis and was not expecting that.
$250? Heck yeah I'll take one.

If it was a PS3, I'd have to stop and think about making such a large purchase without knowing I was going to get it right then.

Maybe that's just me, but bigger prices like that stop me in my tracks.
I have to plan things out financially.

[quote name='schuerm26']So Microsoft has sold 9 million in a year or so and you guys think that Nintendo would throw out a number that they would sell
almost that in a month or so? Sounds extremely hard to believe.[/quote]

Like I said, it was a long time ago, way before MS had those kinds of numbers.
And I'm sure Nintendo was banking on Japan having a huge sale, MS is nothing there.

[quote name='dallow']The main reason the Wii flys off the shelf quicker than the PS3 is price.

I walked into a BB, was told they actually had Wiis and was not expecting that.
$250? Heck yeah I'll take one.

If it was a PS3, I'd have to stop and think about making such a large purchase without knowing I was going to get it right then.

Maybe that's just me, but bigger prices like that stop me in my tracks.
I have to plan things out financially.[/quote]

Agreed. I don't just drop $600 on something without thinking about it. And when I think about it, I realize that i would be dropping $600 on a video game system. Then I pass.

[quote name='schuerm26']Agreed. I don't just drop $600 on something without thinking about it. And when I think about it, I realize that i would be dropping $600 on a video game system. Then I pass.[/quote]

Agreed. I wouldn't have a PS3 right now and be loving it if I hadn't sold my first one on eBay to pay for it, call me scum all you want.

[quote name='schuerm26']So Microsoft has sold 9 million in a year or so and you guys think that Nintendo would throw out a number that they would sell almost that in a month or so? Sounds extremely hard to believe.[/quote]The goofy 8+ million numbers were people analyzing analysts that were saying Wii production was moving a lot faster than expected, leading people to speculate that they would exceed the predicted 6 million by Q1 07 and hit closer to 8 or 9.

Walked into Best Buy the day after christmas. There was a sign saying "WE HAVE PS3'S!!"right at the entrance with a guy standing there saying to everybody who came in, "Hey, we got PS3's, you want one?" So funny, Best Buy can't wait to get rid of the things. If Sony doesn't lower the price, they're in trouble.

[quote name='RubilacEx']Walked into Best Buy the day after christmas. There was a sign saying "WE HAVE PS3'S!!"right at the entrance with a guy standing there saying to everybody who came in, "Hey, we got PS3's, you want one?" So funny, Best Buy can't wait to get rid of the things. If Sony doesn't lower the price, they're in trouble.[/quote]
You're so simple, it's funny.

---
Anyway, thanks for clearing that up Botticus.
The 8 million crap is beside the point.

Both systems are selling extremely well for the quantity out there. (and in the PS3's case, despite it's price as well)

[quote name='dallow']I do remember some early crazy figure of 8 million being thrown around.
More recently however, it was stated as 4 million.

Anyone see that PS3 has taken over Wii in sales on Amazon.co.jp?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/
(updated every hour, so things change)

First time it's done that, now that Sony has supplied them with ample quantiity.

(and gta san andreas at number 15, nice, ha)[/quote]

i think the reason the above is true is because amazon appears to have the PS3 in stock whereas the wii is shipping from other retailers (i didn't go through the 136 retailers to see who had it in stock)

if the stock is sold out, then the ps3 which appears to be in stock would sell more. I think that using this as an accurate gauge may be showing a skewed perspective

Also in regards to the ps3's sitting, the gamecrazy that i frequent has had 5 or 6 ps3's sitting since two weeks before christmas. They even have signs up that say that they have them, and there is just no demand at least right now.

Lag behind? Perhaps the author of this article doesn't know the 360 launched a whole year ago?

[quote name='porieux']Lag behind? Perhaps the author of this article doesn't know the 360 launched a whole year ago?[/quote]

Not to mention that the Wii is hot on its ass...

[quote name='Purple Flames']Where'd you get that 8 mil from? Nintendo said they were aiming for 4 million by year's end. They didn't quite make it, but they sure as hell came close.[/QUOTE]

Huh, did I just fall asleep and miss the whole New Year's thing? My calendar still says they've got a week to go.

And with a shipment supposedly coming on Sunday you KNOW Nintendo will claim they came as close to 4 mil as you can get.

Is that 4 mil figure supposed to be sell-through?

My point was I don't blieve any either site. About a month ago the Xbox 360 numbers were about the same and I don't belive that there wouldn't be more sold.

Nintendo said 6-8 million by March 31st. They said 6, but maybe more because they uped them. I think the number of Wiis is close to 2.5 million, just because that's the middle of the two ends.

[quote name='keithp']
And with a shipment supposedly coming on Sunday you KNOW Nintendo will claim they came as close to 4 mil as you can get.
[/QUOTE]

You know what is as close to 4 million as you can get is? It's 4 million.

[quote name='David85']My point was I don't blieve any either site.

(Blah, blah, blah...)

You know what is as close to 4 million as you can get is? It's 4 million.[/QUOTE]

My point is that if 3.8 or 3.9 million are sold Nintendo still claims victory. I knew I shouldn't have worded it so precisely! :fridge:

[quote name='TheClassicObserver']i think the reason the above is true is because amazon appears to have the PS3 in stock whereas the wii is shipping from other retailers (i didn't go through the 136 retailers to see who had it in stock)

if the stock is sold out, then the ps3 which appears to be in stock would sell more. I think that using this as an accurate gauge may be showing a skewed perspective/quote]

Oh, by no means did I mean it was an accurate gauge. Just an interesting note.
They weren't sold some hours ago, so it's rank will drop more.

the PS3 has only sold 1.18 million, and with consoles sitting on the shelves as we speak...
Probably not sitting on the shelves literally, but they are probably in the store. Can't wait till the supply of Wii be like this.

by those yearly charts Gamecube sold 3 milliion less than Xbox, 3 million is alot to me and you but overall when comparing 24 mill to 21 mill the difference isn't as big as the difference in respect the 2 consoles get from game manufactureres.

From snooping around on the nexgenwars forums a few weeks ago, the consensus there is the numbers are based on units shipped, not necessarily sold to consumers. For the PS3 and Wii this can be pretty well approximated for units sold. For the 360...well that's a big debate over there. Haven't been there in a while, but I think people generally think its 6-8 million sold to consumers.

Of course, these sites don't reveal how they calculate these numbers and Sony, MS, and Nintendo don't always release this info, so take it as you will.

[quote name='mercilessming']by those yearly charts Gamecube sold 3 milliion less than Xbox, 3 million is alot to me and you but overall when comparing 24 mill to 21 mill the difference isn't as big as the difference in respect the 2 consoles get from game manufactureres.[/quote]Install base isn't much different, but third party games sold a lot better on Xbox than GameCube.

bread's done
Back