$50 GameCube Trade-In EBGS

Blaine

CAGiversary!
I'd like to have someone confirm this for me, but as I stopped by to put $5 on Card Fighter's Clash for the DS, I was told that the GameCube trade in value was increased from $25 to $30 as well there's an additional $20 trade-in promotion running until November 5th, bringing the grand total to $50.

*confirmed by cags*

[quote name='tangytangerine']20% if you don't have the coupon, the stores have "power trade" deal like the GI coupon but they're only offering 20% instead of 30%.[/QUOTE]
So, they work with this deal then?

Oh really? That's cool. I'm planning on getting FFXII, so maybe I should do this. Today even. Anyone else have the +30% work for them?

[quote name='tangytangerine']They didn't take it cause it wasn't complete. It's much like a GBA without battery cover or N64 w/ a missing expansion port cover, stores don't take it cause it doesn't have everything.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is YMMV because they took my GC fine without the cover on the Gameboy player. I know it is in my house somewhere but I just moved and couldn't find it (wasn't in the same box as the cover I had for the Broadband Adapter). I don't think he even looked actually, he was just amazed that I had been able to get it all back in the original box (wasn't that big of a feat I thought, but I guess it was because he told me to keep the box because there was "no way I'll get it back in there").

I would suggest just taking it to a different Gamestop like you said.

Now I just need to sell my Gameboy Player and my Broadband adapter.

I was able to get my Gamecube back in the box too. Couldn't figure out my 360 though. I was left with at least two huge cables that wouldn't fit back in.

[quote name='Puppy']I was able to get my Gamecube back in the box too. Couldn't figure out my 360 though. I was left with at least two huge cables that wouldn't fit back in.[/QUOTE]
Heh, when I returned my Lite because it had a stuck pixel, it took like a good 10 minutes making everything fit in the box, and even then the box was kind of bulging.

Traded my cube in today for $45 ($25 + promo). Every EB/GS in my area was paying the same, so I figured that was as good a deal as I was likely to get.

Now I just need to eBay my GB Player, and I'm ready to get a Wii!

Amazon'd my Cube for $47 today, priced it that low because I was missing the expanion slot covers. Sold my components for 45 and the GBP for 55. The market is hot. My EB wouldn't take my Cube w/o the covers.

I just came back from my local EBGames (Tried to trade in my GC) and they had no idea what deal I was talking about, I even had the guy call and find out if the deal existed and they never heard of the deal.

The sales clerk told me I could print out the offer and show it to him and he'd honor it.

[quote name='sasukekun']I just came back from my local EBGames (Tried to trade in my GC) and they had no idea what deal I was talking about, I even had the guy call and find out if the deal existed and they never heard of the deal.

The sales clerk told me I could print out the offer and show it to him and he'd honor it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I had to do. Just print out the ad from the website.

I went to EB today for the $50 Trade-In but was advised to KEEP it until the Wii's release approached because there would be a better trade-in deal. Any truth behind this? or is the guy just trying to stall me so I don't get the extra $20 (Promo)?

[quote name='Kirra']I went to EB today for the $50 Trade-In but was advised to KEEP it until the Wii's release approached because there would be a better trade-in deal. Any truth behind this? or is the guy just trying to stall me so I don't get the extra $20 (Promo)?[/QUOTE]

I can't see it getting any better.

[quote name='Kirra']I went to EB today for the $50 Trade-In but was advised to KEEP it until the Wii's release approached because there would be a better trade-in deal. Any truth behind this? or is the guy just trying to stall me so I don't get the extra $20 (Promo)?[/QUOTE]
i'd say he's most likely lying, but... eb sells gamecube's for $60, so they could give you extra ten dollars if you trade it in towards a wii, as i read retailers make $13 on every wii console, so ther's a $3 bonus. there's no financial incentive for them beyond that. unless they are expecting you to buy used games while in the store that they fuck traders on. i traded in my gc and xbox ( ihave a 360) for the purpose of eventually getting a wii. after i sell all my accessories for both systems, i should have about enough for a wii, and i couldn't be happier:)

[quote name='evilmax17']Does anybody know if it has to include a first party controller?[/quote]
Nope. I traded in some crap controller and it was fine.

Thought I would try my luck on craigslist before lugging my gamecube down to EB. Put it up for 50.00 and this guy comes by interested in it and insisted I plug it in for him so he could listen to the power cable. He spent a good 90 seconds with the cable, putting it against against both ears. Apparently he had encountered some power cables emitting a low level hum and was afraid to purchase them. Anyone know what that is about?

My gamecubes cable passed the test though and he paid me the 50.00. Next time EB is getting it!

It may depend. I tried to trade in my GC yesterday with the spidey controller and they told me it had to be a nintendo-brand controller. That surprised me, since they seemed to have no idea what was going on with the sale (I had to walk both employees to the front of the store to point to the $20 sign, where they spent approximately five minutes trying to sound out the words in the fine print. But seriously, the manager actually accused me of lying to him about the sale.)

Wha- That doesn't make sense because they don't always sell you a Nintendo brand controller with the systems (or Sony brand with PS2's and so on)!

I only got $45 for trading in my Cube right now. I don't feel like reading this whole thread, but do the price go back down?

If so, you should change the topic title.

[quote name='Gator']Can anyone confirm the trade-in value as $30?

As far as I can tell, the only reason to hang on to a Gamecube is if you have a Gameboy Player. That's the only accessory that won't be compatible with the Wii.

[/quote]

I didn't even think about that.

I do use my Gameboy Player form time to time, but I don't know if it is worth keeping the GC if I plan on getting a Wii anyway. Plus, I play Gameboy games on my GBA SP more often that not.

Yes the title should be changed, you only get a base of $25 and a bonus of $20 now.

The Wiki needs to eb updated because the price as fallen back to $25 for a few weeks now.

[quote name='striker199']so only $45 now for the gamecube? how much they giving for xbox?[/QUOTE]
I'm going to EBGames now to trade my GC in, I'll ask the sales clerk and post when I get back.

///edit///
Xbox trade-in is $40 and you get $20 from this offer.

Is the cube worth anything more if it has the digital A/V out or what not? I'm not talking about as in trade-in but I heard some of the newer ones don't have the digital output and a potential buyer might want it?

I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Worst case scenario, if there are a couple GC games I've got that don't work with the Wii BC, then I can just repurchase one later for even less, in all likelihood. Or not. I've got an extra GC controller (still unopened!), so I'm all set there.

P.S. Getting $45 for this console seems to be a 'wash' with what it's getting on eBay right now.

[quote name='dastly75']Is the cube worth anything more if it has the digital A/V out or what not? I'm not talking about as in trade-in but I heard some of the newer ones don't have the digital output and a potential buyer might want it?[/quote]

I actually had a couple people ask about that when I sold mine on craigslist. It does seem to be a selling point oddly enough

[quote name='dastly75']Is the cube worth anything more if it has the digital A/V out or what not? I'm not talking about as in trade-in but I heard some of the newer ones don't have the digital output and a potential buyer might want it?[/QUOTE]

It's certainly more useful, since otherwise you'll never get 480p output. =)

New cubes haven't had it for a couple years (`since May 2004' says wikipedia).

sounds good, but can the Wii play gamecube games?
is it backward compatible as I have a few cube games that need to be finished!

went to Gamestop today and sold my GC for $25 + $20 promo + %10 towards a PS3. Final price was $49.50 for my GC. literally 2 seconds later after my transaction was done a woman came in and asked for a used GC. They sold her my "old" one to her for $75!!!

[quote name='Giant Robot']went to Gamestop today and sold my GC for $25 + $20 promo + %10 towards a PS3. Final price was $49.50 for my GC. literally 2 seconds later after my transaction was done a woman came in and asked for a used GC. They sold her my "old" one to her for $75!!![/quote]
Funny since the price on the packages in the stores is $59.99 - usually in big bold print right above the cashier.

[quote name='sasukekun']I'm going to EBGames now to trade my GC in, I'll ask the sales clerk and post when I get back.

///edit///
Xbox trade-in is $40 and you get $20 from this offer.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the update, time to say goodbye to xbox and gamecube

[quote name='jollydwarf']Getting $45 for this console seems to be a 'wash' with what it's getting on eBay right now.[/quote]
Speaking of eBay, I wonder if this guy will have his cube move before the auction ends?

$119.81 Gamecube // $196.74 BIN!:bouncy:

No wonder he used eBay's Featured Plus listing...too bad he wasted so much money.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes the title should be changed, you only get a base of $25 and a bonus of $20 now.

The Wiki needs to eb updated because the price as fallen back to $25 for a few weeks now.[/QUOTE]

why oh why did I wait? $45 is still decent. I will use it to preorder the castlevania DS bundle

[quote name='pop311']What if I don't have a controller?[/quote]

See if you can find/buy a very cheap one because you need at least one.

[quote name='NamPaehc']See if you can find/buy a very cheap one because you need at least one.[/quote] What and where is the cheapest I can get one? Also, does it have to be first party?

[quote name='horrido']Do they plug the systems in? I've got a bricked PS2.[/quote]They tested my GC when I brought it in. I'm pretty sure they do it every time.

[quote name='iggywiggum']They tested my GC when I brought it in. I'm pretty sure they do it every time.[/quote]

I worked at a Gamestop here in Indiana as a manager over the summer. Sounds absurd, but I quit a $35,000 a year job to go back to school and work at GS.
ANYWAY - We did not test systems UNLESS the person trading it in looked shady. By this I mean reeked of smoke, looked suspicious (and in a hurry), etc. If the system looked beat up, I would always want to test it (not to give the trader a hard time, but to ensure someone wouldn't buy a busted Cube, resulting in another trip and more work). I would tell the manager I wanted to test and he was like "Don't worry about it."This is because our regions had detailed reports every week complete with rankings in all sorts of categories (preorders and subscriptions being the main factors). Basically, the more used crap we bought, the better the ranking. We took them with 3rd party controllers, RF switches instead of RCAs, all sorts of crap.
2.) You can get cash instead of credit, but its 20% less and you have to be 18. Not a lot of people know about this.
3.) The reason the employees seem so clueless is because we were never told about these deals. And the systems used don't automatically do anything, so the employee has to not only know about the deal, but know how to manipulate the system to get it to work, which was hard on deals that weren't very popular (like the 3 for $10 DVDs, which required going over each item purchased and discounting the right amount of $ to make it even out).
4.) The way GS is set up is not so that every store makes a profit, but so the company controls more of the flow of used crap. So if a store takes in 100 Cubes, its guaranteed they won't be sold there. Some of them will be shipped to corporate for web sales, some will go to other region stores. They do daily counts that are loaded into a central database so the region managers have a constant tally of what's on hand - this is called the "Title on Hand" report.
5.) You are always bullied for reserves and subscriptions because we HAD to. I mean, its a big deal. People got canned all the time for having bad weeks.The goal for reg. employees (Game Advisors - who were limited to one day a week, two max, also bad for knowing about special offers) was two preorders and 2 subscriptions PER DAY. Managers had higher goals. Salesmanship is valued above all else. Now, the point of preorders is not to make money - GS/EB does not make shit on new stuff ($1 or $2 per unit sold), but to make sure you get in the store to buy used crap. None of which is tested. Our store (and all the ones in our region - I worked at several) had one crappy TV. People think they have a testing station in the back and stuff. All that was in the back rooms was pennied out strategy guides and piles of junk and used games that won't fit on the walls (We had like 300 copies of True Crime - Streets of LA, for instance). We couldn't test all the stuff that came in if we wanted to, which no one did. So beware,they have return policies, but they know that most people won't go through all that for a $10 controller.
So, really testing is not YMMV as much as it depends on the district, not the location.
Oh and refurb fees are normally $2 on games (and they have to be really, really bad) an $8-10 on systems (they'll take them non-working even if you say this, but minus the fee. Chances are the busted system won't be in the inventory of the store you sell it to. They ship the broken stuff off once per week to "corporate" - that's why the stores don't care, they get credit for the used stuff without getting stuck with it, hurting used sales.
Hope this helps. I think I'll post it on all the other threads here. If you have any other questionsm let me know. I'll answer everything because that company is a giant scam (in some ways, in others not so much - because you have to be stupid to be ripped off). There are a lot of misconceptions I can clear up
Oh, and the manager told us to tell people we tested them. I remember once a guy came and traded in his XBox for $40. I bagged the cords and controller, printed a sticker and sold it for $119 WHILE HE WAS STILL IN THE STORE. It worked I guess, but doesnt say much about the testing policies.

I've traded in a PS2 and a GC this week and they tested both of them (maybe I look shady ;) ). Also when I traded in the GC the store was pretty busy and they still checked it.

Judging from other posts it's YMMV whether they will test it or not though.

I traded my GC in for 45$ yesterday and they tested it. It was around noon and no one was in the store, that might have had something to do with it. Also, the employee was a store manager (but a very young guy). I was surprised they took it because one of the covers on the bottom (GB Player) was missing (I have it, just not with me at college). He didnt even check the covers before he tested it, and to ring it up, he has to scan a bar code on the bottom, and I thought he woulda said that he couldn't take it because I knew he saw it. Fortunately, he never said anything about it. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

I traded in my GC a couple of weeks ago and they didn't bother checking it and I was in the store for at least 20 minutes as a couple of friends and I were musing over what to buy on the B2G1 used sale.

SI

yeah i work at GS as a lowly Game Advisor(not all of us are retarded i promise) and i check everything only because i dont want someone to get screwed into buying a non working console. Now that doesnt mean that im going to charge you the refurbishing fee everytime if the system doesnt work, half the time if you are a nice person or im in a really good mood ill just not charge ya and throw the non working system in the defective bin still giving you full trade in value. Hell yes stick it to the man!

It's odd that people are getting $45 for it, any reason?

I was able to trade my GC on Thursday (complete w/ box), for $50 in store credit, which I quickly put towards a copy of F.E.A.R for 360 :)

bread's done
Back