A Up/Monsters Inc Blu-Ray buying guide

This thread will be useful to you if you plan on purchasing Up and Monsters Inc together on Blu-Ray.

PRICES

Amazon
Up - $19.99
Monsters Inc - $22.99

Best Buy
Up - $23.99 (ad) / $19.99 (website)
Monsters Inc - $18.99 if purchased with Up (reg. $28.99)

Target
Up - $26.99 (includes free exclusive journal)
Monsters Inc - $26.99

COUPONS

General
$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only). You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.

$10 off Up (printable/B&M use only).

Amazon
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together. Discount is automatically applied when both items are added to your cart.

Target
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together (printable/B&M use only). Click this link and go to page 3 - it'll be the third coupon there.

DEALS (ranked in terms of lowest price before sales tax)

#1 - Target
-Pricematch the Best Buy ad price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($23.99 + $18.99 = $42.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($42.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $14.98

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $18.99 = $38.95)
-Apply the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

#3 - Target
-Pay the regular Target price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($26.99 + $26.99 = $53.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($53.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $25.98

#4 - Amazon
-Pay the regular Amazon price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $22.99 = $42.98)
-The Amazon coupon will automatically be applied
-($42.98 - $10)
Total = $32.98

NOTES

-Any deal that includes price-matching is obviously YMMV. Depending on what store you go to they might be prickly about a deal that involves both coupons AND pricematching. I know that the Target I shop at will allow me to do deal #1, but other people will have various success. IT'S UP TO YOU to decide whether it's worth venturing out to your local Target/Best Buy to see if you can successfully get deals 1-2, or whether you don't mind spending extra money for the convenience of Amazon.

-If you do deal #1, you will need a physical copy of the weekly ad from Best Buy showing that store's prices in order to pricematch. These ads can probably be found in your Sunday newspaper.

-I did not include any Amazon deals that involve the "Snow White Thanks" promo as that is exclusive to a select few people.

-I did not include any deals at Wal-Mart as their B&M prices for Up and Monsters Inc are still unknown.

-I did not include any deals from Toys R Us because, well, they don't have any good deals. This thread is about the best out of pocket prices.

-I did not include any deals with a $10 Disney manufacturer's coupon for Up because it is still unknown whether that coupon actually exists.

-YES, TARGET DOES PRICEMATCH

ADDITIONAL REBATES

-$4 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Ronzoni products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Kernel products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Birds Eye products.

-$10 OFF at Amazon when you purchase Up and a second qualifying Blu-Ray.

If you know of any more, please post them here so I can add them.

If you see any errors or have anything else to add, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My printer is being retarded and won't let me print the coupon. I'm going to have to stop by a friends house to print out the coupon before I got to Wal-Mart getting up on Blu Ray w/Dvd for $10 is to good to pass up.

Theoretically, if everything is accepted at Target (Best Buy PM + Target coupon + Monsters Inc Coupon + UP coupon) ,then you can get BOTH for $14.98 plus tax. IF it works.

Holy S****! Wow... interesting.... Yay! I will have 3 coupons... Up, MI, & my 3 off coupon any Disney BD... wonder if BB will complain... :whistle2:(

[quote name='ryoga79']Theoretically, if everything is accepted at Target (Best Buy PM + Target coupon + Monsters Inc Coupon + UP coupon) ,then you can get BOTH for $14.98 plus tax. IF it works.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Edited op to reflect new savings. Even without pricematching, Target is now cheaper than Amazon.

I'll be PMing Fry's at BB - $19.95 for UP and Monsters for $23.99 plus $10 off if you buy both and then using the 2 Mfcr. coupons - should come out to $15 and change.

Let's put it this way, if Target won't do it, I'll just go to Best Buy and pony up the extra $6 (I have a feeling I'm going to have some opposition on this one at Target, mainly with the $18.99 price for Monsters Inc).

Anyone know what Moviestop's thing about Price Matching is? I know they will take coupons.

Yeah I know our Target will pitch a fit (they always do). I'm just going to BB it
23.99 Up +18.99 MI -10 coupon - 8 coupon = 24.98. I can live with 2 new BD's for about $12 each.

Well my girlfriend ordered these form Amazon for $32.98 shipped and I have been emailing them about the $8 Monsters, Inc promo but have been shot down twice now. I shot them another email with both the Up and Monsters, Inc link in it to see if they will offer any kind of compromise. Both refusals said that they sell Disney blu-rays but do not "participate" in this promotion. So, if they dont do something to bring it down to near what she can get it for at Target or Best Buy they will be returned and she will not pay a dime in return shipping fees (as I hope others do because this not participating in a manufacturers coupons is bullshit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from Target - $17.98 for both movies.

They wouldn't pricematch Up because the Target version is an exclusive. I didn't argue because, well, that's a perfectly legitimate reason, and the Target version is only $3 more than Best Buy anyway.

All in all, very happy. 9 bucks a pop is hard to beat, and I was more than happy to pay the extra $3 for the sweet Adventure Journal. Thanks Target!

[quote name='doctorthodt']Just returned from Target - $17.98 for both movies.

They wouldn't pricematch Up because the Target version is an exclusive. I didn't argue because, well, that's a perfectly legitimate reason, and the Target version is only $3 more than Best Buy anyway.

All in all, very happy. 9 bucks a pop is hard to beat, and I was more than happy to pay the extra $3 for the sweet Adventure Journal. Thanks Target![/QUOTE]

did you use all three coupons, 2 mfg's and the target one?

[quote name='doctorthodt']Just returned from Target - $17.98 for both movies.

All in all, very happy. 9 bucks a pop is hard to beat, and I was more than happy to pay the extra $3 for the sweet Adventure Journal. Thanks Target![/QUOTE]

If you couldn't get them to pricematch Up, did you try getting them to pricematch Monster, Inc. at least? They can't turn you down on that one, can they?

[quote name='token2k6']did you use all three coupons, 2 mfg's and the target one?[/QUOTE]

Yes, all 3.

[quote name='consoleman']If you couldn't get them to pricematch Up, did you try getting them to pricematch Monster, Inc. at least? They can't turn you down on that one, can they?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they pricematched Monsters Inc to $18.99

[quote name='consoleman']If you couldn't get them to pricematch Up, did you try getting them to pricematch Monster, Inc. at least? They can't turn you down on that one, can they?[/QUOTE]

Is there a coupon I am missing? Not sure how it got to $17.98. I have the $10 as combo, $8 Monsters Inc and $10 UP. Is there something else?

Nevermind. PM'ing Monsters Inc would do it.

[quote name='trabbahabba']Is there a coupon I am missing? Not sure how it got to $17.98. I have the $10 as combo, $8 Monsters Inc and $10 UP. Is there something else?[/QUOTE]

Up = $26.99
Monsters Inc pricematch = $18.99
Minus $10 Target coupon
Minus $10 Up coupon
Minus $8 Monsters Inc coupon
= $17.98

jeez, read the op people

[quote name='CombatCraig']Yeah I know our Target will pitch a fit (they always do). I'm just going to BB it
23.99 Up +18.99 MI -10 coupon - 8 coupon = 24.98. I can live with 2 new BD's for about $12 each.[/QUOTE]

Well I could see the problem with it being that the way the Best Buy ad is stated is that the price for Monsters Inc. is a package price. Target's pricematching policy specifically exempts package prices. If you can get someone to do it great job but if they decline it they would be following the pricematch policy.

Looks like I'm headed to Best Buy before class today.

Up - $23.99 - $10 (Up Coupon) - $7.50 (Preorder) = $6.49

Monsters Inc - $28.99 - $10 (With purchase of Up) - $8 (coupon) = $10.99

Total: $17.48 + 7% tax = $18.70 total :D

Is there anyway to get them to pricematch besides the ad. Maybe a printed ad? Currently, I dont have a best buy ad. Do they have them at Best buy? Thanks for the help

[quote name='doctorthodt']Yes, all 3.

Yes, they pricematched Monsters Inc to $18.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I guess I'll try Target first then. The customer reps at the store near me aren't exactly the friendliest. If I get shot down on pricematching this or using all the coupons, I'll take my business to BB.

[quote name='DomLando']Will Best Buy give any problems with the $10 and $8 coupons?[/QUOTE]

I asked the same thing in the sticky coupon thread, I guess I should have came here first.

I hope they don't give you any problems. They can even read the fine print if they want. It only says "Limit One coupon for specified item purchased." so, technically that can be interpreted into letting us use the coupon for each title.

The only factors that come into play are a) BB's policy on accepting multiple coupons (this would be like double coupon day at the grocery store, which isn't everyday, but somedays) and b) if the package price would still apply

[quote name='token2k6']I asked the same thing in the sticky coupon thread, I guess I should have came here first.

I hope they don't give you any problems. They can even read the fine print if they want. It only says "Limit One coupon for specified item purchased." so, technically that can be interpreted into letting us use the coupon for each title.

The only factors that come into play are a) BB's policy on accepting multiple coupons (this would be like double coupon day at the grocery store, which isn't everyday, but somedays) and b) if the package price would still apply[/QUOTE]

I just think if I try to match the online price of UP and try and use the 2 coupons they might give me a problem.

[quote name='DomLando']I just think if I try to match the online price of UP and try and use the 2 coupons they might give me a problem.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's why I'm thinking about not trying to do any PMing, whether it be BB.com or another retail store. I mean, we're already getting a phenomenal deal on this anyway, not going to fight them for a few dollars..

Target Plan A works WITH Pricematch!!!!!! 2 sets for less then $30 before Tax! Whoohoo! They had no issues taking 6 coupons (2 Target, 2 Up and 2 MI) and price matching BB's price. One set is for me and one for my roomie. Too freakin cool!

Boo, i forgot to pricematch Monster's Inc. Oh well, I got it for like 22 which is still a great deal :)

BTW - at target, if you bring your own bag, you can save $0.05 as well :)

Some people have been getting both movies for $12 or less from Target. Apparently there's a $10 instant coupon on the slipcover of Monsters Inc that you can use when you buy both movies together. So pricematch + all 4 coupons = :applause:

Just got back from target, they matched the Best Buy $23.99 and Monsters Inc $18.99 price. Took all 3 coupons (Target coupon and the 2 Disney coupons) plus I have a 10% off because my son works there, so my grand total for both movies was $13.46

Up $23.99
Monsters Inc $18.99
Target coupon - $10.00
10% off -$3.30
Disney Up -$10.00
Disney Monsters -$8.00
Tax $1.78

Total= $13.46

What a great deal

There's a $10 coupon on the Monster's Inc slip cover at Target. I used this to replace the $8 coupon. After the price matches and three coupons, I paid just under $12 before taxes.

These are all on the Blu-Ray copy of the movie aren't they?

Unfortunately I'm still on DVD only, so I'll be getting that.

And I guess I'm going with Best Buy since that's where I got my collectible tin from. (That I noticed only yesterday has a small scratch in it...how the hell did that get there? It's been handled extremely gently. Dammit.)

I ordered these from amazon, with prime it said if you want it on release date to select 2 day free shipping. I did that and they aren't coming till tomorrow. I haven't ordered a ton of dvds from them for release date delivery-anyone else have any experience using prime to get it on release date, mostly want to know how reliable it is for future purchases. Games have always come on release date.

[quote name='maximumzero']These are all on the Blu-Ray copy of the movie aren't they?

And I guess I'm going with Best Buy since that's where I got my collectible tin from. (That I noticed only yesterday has a small scratch in it...how the hell did that get there? It's been handled extremely gently. Dammit.)[/QUOTE]

both bluray versions come with a dvd and download- you'd probably be better of just buying the blu ray version, especially since they are likely cheaper than the dvd one.

[quote name='maximumzero']These are all on the Blu-Ray copy of the movie aren't they?

And I guess I'm going with Best Buy since that's where I got my collectible tin from. (That I noticed only yesterday has a small scratch in it...how the hell did that get there? It's been handled extremely gently. Dammit.)[/QUOTE]

Eh? These are the combo packs. They have the DVD and Blu Ray. I got the Monsters and Up combo packs for:
23.99 + 18.99 - 30 = 12.98 + tax. far better than buying just up in dvd

[quote name='typical guy']Eh? These are the combo packs. They have the DVD and Blu Ray. I got the Monsters and Up combo packs for:
23.99 + 18.99 - 30 = 12.98 + tax. far better than buying just up in dvd[/QUOTE]

Does the DVD have the special features or is it just the movie only?

[quote name='Penguin1084']Looks like I'm headed to Best Buy before class today.

Up - $23.99 - $10 (Up Coupon) - $7.50 (Preorder) = $6.49

Monsters Inc - $28.99 - $10 (With purchase of Up) - $8 (coupon) = $10.99

Total: $17.48 + 7% tax = $18.70 total :D[/QUOTE]
I love when ppl use faulty math. 18.70 is what you may be paying today, but you have to add in that preorder price to the grand total. Don't know why ppl deduct that since it is essentially part of the price.

Glad to see there is indeed a $10 UP cpn. Already own the UK Monsters, Inc. so I doubt I will be picking it up.

[quote name='maximumzero']Does the DVD have the special features or is it just the movie only?[/QUOTE]

I haven't put it into my player but I would imagine it's just the DVD. The four disk pack consists of the following
1) The movie on Blu Ray
2) Special features on Blu Ray
3) The DVD
4) A downloadable version of the movie.

I would guess the special features are not on the DVD but don't know for sure. I would still go with the BR version even if you're into the special features. You'll be able to watch them at some point in the future (in a year or two?) and they'll be in high def. Also you can get both movies so cheap it's almost a waste not to do it. Personally speaking, I plan on using the DVD version in the car DVD player for the kids to watch.

[quote name='jacknicklson']After the recent developments I emailed Amazon and if they decline I will just return it and go pick these up at best buy with my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Did you e-mail them before about the "Monster Inc" $8.00 off coupon like a lot of us did or will this be your first time?

How hard is it to return something to Amazon do you just mark "return to shipper for return" on the package or do you have to get a RMA# and pay to ship it back to them?

[quote name='typical guy']I haven't put it into my player but I would imagine it's just the DVD. The four disk pack consists of the following
1) The movie on Blu Ray
3) The DVD

I would guess the special features are not on the DVD but don't know for sure. I would still go with the BR version even if you're into the special features. You'll be able to watch them at some point in the future (in a year or two?) and they'll be in high def. Also you can get both movies so cheap it's almost a waste not to do it. Personally speaking, I plan on using the DVD version in the car DVD player for the kids to watch.[/QUOTE]

No Thanks. I'm gonna go with the 3-disc DVD edition. I don't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player for at least 3 or 4 years and I'd like to actually watch the content I've purchased.

[quote name='maximumzero']No Thanks. I'm gonna go with the 3-disc DVD edition. I don't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player for at least 3 or 4 years and I'd like to actually watch the content I've purchased.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? They're already in the mid 100's. I'm sure for Xmas you'll see 99 dollar Blu Ray players. They also usually play (and upconvert) DVD. It's not like the Blu Ray players cost 500 dollars anymore...

[quote name='maximumzero'][quote name='typical guy']I haven't put it into my player but I would imagine it's just the DVD. The four disk pack consists of the following
1) The movie on Blu Ray
3) The DVD

I would guess the special features are not on the DVD but don't know for sure. I would still go with the BR version even if you're into the special features. You'll be able to watch them at some point in the future (in a year or two?) and they'll be in high def. Also you can get both movies so cheap it's almost a waste not to do it. Personally speaking, I plan on using the DVD version in the car DVD player for the kids to watch.[/QUOTE]No Thanks. I'm gonna go with the 3-disc DVD edition. I don't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player for at least 3 or 4 years and I'd like to actually watch the content I've purchased.[/QUOTE]

....you will since it includes a DVD copy

[quote name='Richter']....you will since it includes a DVD copy[/QUOTE]

I just checked the back of my Up box. For DVD it says it includes "Feature Film" and "Plus DVD Bonus Features!".

I don't know if those are the same exact features as the three disk SD DVD edition but I do know that it's a much better deal to get 12 bucks for both movies on Blu Ray and DVD. Of course, I'm interested in deals and not in spending money I don't have to.

bread's done
Back