A Up/Monsters Inc Blu-Ray buying guide

This thread will be useful to you if you plan on purchasing Up and Monsters Inc together on Blu-Ray.

PRICES

Amazon
Up - $19.99
Monsters Inc - $22.99

Best Buy
Up - $23.99 (ad) / $19.99 (website)
Monsters Inc - $18.99 if purchased with Up (reg. $28.99)

Target
Up - $26.99 (includes free exclusive journal)
Monsters Inc - $26.99

COUPONS

General
$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only). You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.

$10 off Up (printable/B&M use only).

Amazon
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together. Discount is automatically applied when both items are added to your cart.

Target
$10 off when you purchase Up and Monsters Inc together (printable/B&M use only). Click this link and go to page 3 - it'll be the third coupon there.

DEALS (ranked in terms of lowest price before sales tax)

#1 - Target
-Pricematch the Best Buy ad price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($23.99 + $18.99 = $42.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($42.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $14.98

#2 - Best Buy
-Pricematch the bestbuy.com price for Up, pay the BB special price for Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $18.99 = $38.95)
-Apply the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($38.98 - $8 -$10)
-Total = $20.98

#3 - Target
-Pay the regular Target price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($26.99 + $26.99 = $53.98)
-Apply the Target coupon and the Monsters Inc/Up coupons
-($53.98 - $10 - $8 -$10)
Total = $25.98

#4 - Amazon
-Pay the regular Amazon price for both Up and Monsters Inc
-($19.99 + $22.99 = $42.98)
-The Amazon coupon will automatically be applied
-($42.98 - $10)
Total = $32.98

NOTES

-Any deal that includes price-matching is obviously YMMV. Depending on what store you go to they might be prickly about a deal that involves both coupons AND pricematching. I know that the Target I shop at will allow me to do deal #1, but other people will have various success. IT'S UP TO YOU to decide whether it's worth venturing out to your local Target/Best Buy to see if you can successfully get deals 1-2, or whether you don't mind spending extra money for the convenience of Amazon.

-If you do deal #1, you will need a physical copy of the weekly ad from Best Buy showing that store's prices in order to pricematch. These ads can probably be found in your Sunday newspaper.

-I did not include any Amazon deals that involve the "Snow White Thanks" promo as that is exclusive to a select few people.

-I did not include any deals at Wal-Mart as their B&M prices for Up and Monsters Inc are still unknown.

-I did not include any deals from Toys R Us because, well, they don't have any good deals. This thread is about the best out of pocket prices.

-I did not include any deals with a $10 Disney manufacturer's coupon for Up because it is still unknown whether that coupon actually exists.

-YES, TARGET DOES PRICEMATCH

ADDITIONAL REBATES

-$4 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Ronzoni products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Kernel products.

-$5 MIR for purchasing Up + qualifying Birds Eye products.

-$10 OFF at Amazon when you purchase Up and a second qualifying Blu-Ray.

If you know of any more, please post them here so I can add them.

If you see any errors or have anything else to add, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Angrybeaver1']Just got back from target, they matched the Best Buy $23.99 and Monsters Inc $18.99 price. Took all 3 coupons (Target coupon and the 2 Disney coupons) plus I have a 10% off because my son works there, so my grand total for both movies was $13.46

Up $23.99
Monsters Inc $18.99
Target coupon - $10.00
10% off -$3.30
Disney Up -$10.00
Disney Monsters -$8.00
Tax $1.78

Total= $13.46

What a great deal[/QUOTE]Matching the $18.99 price isn't a valid comparison, since $18.99 would be the price post $10 discount for buying both movies. It's $28.99 as the purchase price.

You had them do a PM for a price they shouldn't be matching, since the $10 for purchasing both is the same as Best Buy's deal though it needs a coupon.

It should have been around $24. You lucked out on that one.

[quote name='darkdaze73']I love when ppl use faulty math. 18.70 is what you may be paying today, but you have to add in that preorder price to the grand total. Don't know why ppl deduct that since it is essentially part of the price.

Glad to see there is indeed a $10 UP cpn. Already own the UK Monsters, Inc. so I doubt I will be picking it up.[/QUOTE]It's money already paid to Best Buy, so it has to be figured into the total cost of the movies.

[quote name='ajh2298']How hard is it to return something to Amazon do you just mark "return to shipper for return" on the package or do you have to get a RMA# and pay to ship it back to them?[/QUOTE]You can do one of the following:

1) Refuse the package from the shipper, assuming it's UPS. UPS would ship it back to Amazon at no cost to them or you, and they'll automatically process it for a return. Not sure what they do for USPS Media Mail shipments.
2) You ship the package back at your cost, and Amazon will reimburse you for the cost of the shipping and the order cost.
3) You ship the package back at Amazon's expense using one of their pre-paid return labels. It'll cost you $4 or $5 for the return out of the money you'd get back on the return.

16435_1148808367244_1438622631_30388911_571150_n.jpg

Thank you Cag! now im going to get my mony back from the pre order at bestbuy later on today.

goddamn! 9.5% tax??? and here I bitch that we just went up to 7.75%. It's 13.75% at my job, but that's because it's a hotel and the tax rate is always higher with Occupency Tax and all.

My Target did the $18.99 on MI with no problems. But I guess it is YMMV in all honesty. In retrospect, I wish I would have pushed the issue with the $10 off coupon ON the MI Blu that I didn't use.

[quote name='ryoga79']goddamn! 9.5% tax??? and here I bitch that we just went up to 7.75%. It's 13.75% at my job, but that's because it's a hotel and the tax rate is always higher with Occupency Tax and all.

My Target did the $18.99 on MI with no problems. But I guess it is YMMV in all honesty. In retrospect, I wish I would have pushed the issue with the $10 off coupon ON the MI Blu that I didn't use.[/QUOTE]

yea WA taxes suck =/ and that's why i joined CAG :)

[quote name='typical guy']Are you kidding? They're already in the mid 100's. I'm sure for Xmas you'll see 99 dollar Blu Ray players. They also usually play (and upconvert) DVD. It's not like the Blu Ray players cost 500 dollars anymore...[/QUOTE]

But I don't have a HDTV. Why on earth would I buy a Blu-Ray player if I don't have a HDTV?

[quote name='shrike4242']
It should have been around $24. You lucked out on that one.
[/QUOTE]

Not really. Most people have been getting both movies from Target for anywhere between $5 and $18.

I'm trying to see if Amazon will match the $18 cost. Otherwise I'll just refuse the shipment from UPS and return it to one of their locations. Saving $15 is worth enough for me to make a run to a few stores.

Anyone bought this at the Target in Brooklyn, NY yet (Atlantic center)? Just wondering how much stock they have of Monster's Inc. a and whether they have the journal included with Up. I'm not hopeful they'll be there by tonight which is the earliest I can go :/

I just picked up UP. I tried to use the -10-8 coupons but the rep was telling me I could only use it off MSRP.I went to walmart instead so 19.99-10=9.99 plus tax. I blew way to much cash on criterion movies today.

[quote name='maximumzero']But I don't have a HDTV. Why on earth would I buy a Blu-Ray player if I don't have a HDTV?[/QUOTE]

Because the combo pack costs less than the DVD? I'm tired of arguing with you on this. If you think paying more for the less is a good deal then by all means, pay 17 or 18 bucks for a single DVD. Meanwhile, I'll sit here with the same DVD and the Blu Ray and that's for BOTH MOVIES and I paid 5 dollars less than you.

[quote name='doctorthodt']Not really. Most people have been getting both movies from Target for anywhere between $5 and $18.[/QUOTE]It's the same $10 package pricing for buying both movies. Target requires a coupon for it, Best Buy and Amazon are doing it automatically at purchase.

The $18.99 PM to BB isn't valid, since it's the same $10 savings Target is needing a coupon to get done. I could see this being denied by someone reading the ad and knowing they offer the same deal via their coupon.

Then again, it needs basic literacy skills, which might be a bigger issue.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn - I feel like a chump paying $13 each for them![/QUOTE]
you shouldn't , you should feel happy that you saved money that could be used towards other movies.

[quote name='shrike4242']The $18.99 PM to BB isn't valid, since it's the same $10 savings Target is needing a coupon to get done. I could see this being denied by someone reading the ad and knowing they offer the same deal via their coupon.[/QUOTE]

Of the dozens of posts I have read from people going to Target, not a single one of them was refused the $18.99 pricematch.

[quote name='Burchamj']Wheres the Target Coupon?[/QUOTE]

Read the op :)

Target was out of Monsters Inc. Blu-ray and that sucked, so I went to Best Buy to try my hand at deal #2. At Best Buy, the guy would not take my coupons AND do the 10 dollars off for both. He said they could only do one or the other.

So basically, I got screwed this morning and am out of luck until Target gets more of Monsters Inc. and I can try there.

Everyone should pity me.

Walked into BB and had them price match there website so was able to get UP for $19.99 and Monster Inc. for $18.99. Used both coupons $8 and $10, and used my $7.50 preorder also. And got Talking Dug for $4.99.

So all in all walked out paying $29.12 for two Blu's and the plush toy for my son.

After looking at the receipt I don't think they gave me the $10 off for UP since I price mathced it but hey $15 for 2 Blu's is ok for me. Would have liked to walk out paying $19.12 though lol

Just back from Target.
Up was $19.99 already. Didn't need to pricematch.
Monsters inc. matched to $18.99.
Used both coupons and the $10 Target coupon.
Total came to:
$13.01

Thank you CAG!!!

[quote name='neoz']Walked into BB and had them price match there website so was able to get UP for $19.99 and Monster Inc. for $18.99. Used both coupons $8 and $10, and used my $7.50 preorder also. And got Talking Dug for $4.99.

So all in all walked out paying $29.12 for two Blu's and the plush toy for my son.

After looking at the receipt I don't think they gave me the $10 off for UP since I price mathced it but hey $15 for 2 Blu's is ok for me. Would have liked to walk out paying $19.12 though lol[/QUOTE]

look closer at your receipt--i went to BB and got UP and the Doug plush and the cashier said b/c they did price match it only took $5 off the Doug plush making it $9.99 but the coupon came off perfectly so i got both for $15.81 (i had a $5 RZ certificate as well)

[quote name='gmerreighn']look closer at your receipt--i went to BB and got UP and the Doug plush and the cashier said b/c they did price match it only took $5 off the Doug plush making it $9.99 but the coupon came off perfectly so i got both for $15.81 (i had a $5 RZ certificate as well)[/QUOTE]

Just looked at my receipt and they took the $10 off for the toy making it $4.99 like stated in the ad. But they only have $1 off for UP after price matching it. I don't have a scanner so I can't scan the receipt to show everyone.

One of you people who pulled off this deal successfully wanna drive over and help me out? I can't seem to get anyone to take the deal as it's supposed to be and it's making me sad.

Went to Target this morning as soon as they opened before class got the PM of BB for both movies:

Up $23.99
Monsters Inc. $18.99
total was $42.98 than I had the coupons
Monster Inc coupon -$8
Up coupon - $10
Target buy both get $10 off
so my Grand Total for both movies were $17.12 including tax.

That was a Great Deal the guy said you cant even buy the regular dvd for that price.

[quote name='Voodoo_Lou']Just back from Target.
Up was $19.99 already. Didn't need to pricematch.
Monsters inc. matched to $18.99.
Used both coupons and the $10 Target coupon.
Total came to:
$13.01

Thank you CAG!!![/QUOTE]

Same deal for me in Michigan. With 6% sales tax I paid $13.32 out the door.
That's a steal for 2 brand new blu's.

:applause:

I can't believe I was so concerned about this deal all week and the various implications, it could not have gone better! :)

When I went into the store I pre-ordered from, I knew I'd have to go to Customer Service. There were about 7 people in line, 3 people at dedicated registers, helping people ring out, turns out they were all they for MW2 pre-order madness!!

Waiting about 10 minutes, I was helped by the fastest cashier there who seemed to know what she was doing, she may have been a manager type person. I said, "I pre-ordered this and I would also like to PM the BB.com price of $19.99." She said that wouldn't be a problem, and didn't even look it up online to verify. So, she applied the pre-order (-$7.50) scanned UP! and changed it to $19.99 manually. She then scanned Monster's Inc, which rang it at $23.99. When she hit total, the package price applied, and strangely, made Up! $18.99 and Monsters, Inc, stay at $23.99!!! I had the ad copy in my hand and said, "that can't be right, you're supposed to get Monsters Inc for $18.99 when you buy UP!"

She manually overrode the price for Monster's Inc. at $18.99 and applied the package price again, this time, both titles were locked in at $18.99, I was fine with that :D She hit total, I handed her the coupons. She didn't really even bother to check them or question them. Total dropped to $14.98 owed, and w/ my $10 GC from MW2, $4.98 out the door!!

I only think I was lucky b/c they were in a tizzy about the big rush for MW2, hence my post title!! Check out the receipt for proof:
scan0008ym.jpg

[quote name='opterasis']After all coupons, I ended up paying 14.32 at Best Buy for both of them today.[/QUOTE]

I had a bunch of morons at best buy today.

So, I left the house this morning with the idea that I'd go to best buy and get both for ~$20 (and I used faulty math apparently), got there, brought both up to the lady at the register in front. She told me that they would match the best buy.com price, so I was really happy. I had a preorder, so I had to go to customer service, I get there, she matches the online price, takes off my preorder, and I hand her the two coupons. She takes them to her manager and the manager tells me that since they took off $10 from Monsters Inc, they couldnt take my coupons. I called bs, demanded an advertisement and told them I'd go to target.

I stop home, print the target coupon, and on my merry way to target. Walk in, pick up both blu rays, take them to customer service, she matches the 18.99 price tag on Monsters Inc, scans Up, it comes up 19.99, so we didnt do anything there. She scans all 3 coupons, total is $13.01 after tax. Took me about 10 minutes in Target and about a half an hour in best buy. I see some people scanned their receipts, I can scan mine when I get home much later tonight.

Thanks cag!!

[quote name='token2k6']I can't believe I was so concerned about this deal all week and the various implications, it could not have gone better! :)

When I went into the store I pre-ordered from, I knew I'd have to go to Customer Service. There were about 7 people in line, 3 people at dedicated registers, helping people ring out, turns out they were all they for MW2 pre-order madness!!

Waiting about 10 minutes, I was helped by the fastest cashier there who seemed to know what she was doing, she may have been a manager type person. I said, "I pre-ordered this and I would also like to PM the BB.com price of $19.99." She said that wouldn't be a problem, and didn't even look it up online to verify. So, she applied the pre-order (-$7.50) scanned UP! and changed it to $19.99 manually. She then scanned Monster's Inc, which rang it at $23.99. When she hit total, the package price applied, and strangely, made Up! $18.99 and Monsters, Inc, stay at $23.99!!! I had the ad copy in my hand and said, "that can't be right, you're supposed to get Monsters Inc for $18.99 when you buy UP!"

She manually overrode the price for Monster's Inc. at $18.99 and applied the package price again, this time, both titles were locked in at $18.99, I was fine with that :D She hit total, I handed her the coupons. She didn't really even bother to check them or question them. Total dropped to $14.98 owed, and w/ my $10 GC from MW2, $4.98 out the door!!

I only think I was lucky b/c they were in a tizzy about the big rush for MW2, hence my post title!! Check out the receipt for proof:
scan0008ym.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wish I had a good best buy.. being away at college, this best buy is the worst, they won't price match anything. I even quit this best buy and drive back home to that best buy and work there because this best buy sucks so bad.

Wow thanks! I just got Up and Monsters, Inc at the local Target for $18.38. I didn't price match Best Buy, but used the $10 Target coupon, $10 off Up from Disney and the $10 off Up and Monsters, Inc on the MI slip cover.

My Target had Up for $19.99, so just matched Monsters for $18.99 and got $30 off with the Up coupon, Target combo coupon, and Monsters combo coupon on outside of pack (wouldn't take Monster's $8 coupon), but $8.98 plus tax total.

just a heads up, a single box of Creamette pasta is 79 cents this week at meijer stores. I believe these qualify for the pasta and a movie deal. Also how many UPCs are included in the combo pack? Because you need one for the pasta, one for the popcorn and one for the birds view stuff.

because if I can pull all of these off and getting amazon to match the 10 off coupon, then my total for the order would be

22.92 for UP and Monsters Inc
- 4.00 MIR
- 5.00 MIR
- 5.00 MIR
= 8.92
- 10.00 if amazon matches the UP coupon. If not still a very good for two blu rays....

Walked out of BB with both movies for $28.20. Didn't want to try PM'ing at Target with all the coupons, our Target is pretty anal about all that (even if it is perfectly legit). Also run into problem at my BB PM'ing and using coupons, they don't like that.

I'll take 2 new BD's for under $15 each as a win in my book!

I did better than I thought I would... $9.98 for both of them after tax at Target.

Between the $19.99 drop on Up, the 3 coupons (Target Web for both, Up, and Monsters Inc individual coupons), and my team member discount I ended up paying about $1.25 per disc. This was just a way too ridiculously good deal.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Just as an FYI, I emailed Amazon about the new $10 Up coupon and received a $10 refund on my already-shipped order.

I ended up going top both TRU and Target and buying sets at both to see where I got the better deal.

TARGET:
Up=$23.99(PM to BB ad)
Monsters Inc=$18.99(PM to BB ad)

Total before couponsl=$46.01 after Tax
Total after coupons($10.00 Up-$8.00 Monster Inc-$10.00 Target Coupon)=$16.03

I than took the $10.00 off peelie coupon from the Monsters Inc I got at Target and went to TRU.

TOYS-R-US:
Up=$24.99
Monsters Inc=$34.99
Dog Plush=$0.00

Total before coupons=$64.20(minus $5.00 for my Up $5.00 pre-order which saved me $5.00 on Snow White last month)=$58.83

Total after coupons($10.00 Up-$8.00 Monsters Inc=$10.00 combo coupon from MI package)=$28.87

That price includes a $15.00 Gift card from TRU promos ($5.00 for Monsters Inc plus another $10.00 for buying over $40.00 in Disney Movies) plus a free plush dog $6.99 value. And I dont really count the $5.00 pre-order for Up at TRU as money spent because it saved me $5.00 off the Snow White Blu-ray when thay had that promo last month.

p.s.
I am going to return the Target copies for a return because in the long run I think I get the better deal from TRU because of the free dog plush and $15.00 gift card. But my question is how shady will it be to return my TRU version to Target and keep the Target version for myself that has that journal attached to it I checked and they both have the same UPC # and my target had both the journal and the non-journal versions for sale?

i forgot about the $10 coupon on Monsters itself, but it seemed ridiculous enough that i was getting both movies for $14.

Also for those that may have preorders at TRU - i went there first to see if they could hook me up with a good deal but wound up returning the preorders. You will get your $5 deposit back(which makes the Snow White deal even better)

I was about to go get it, but apparently the 5 nearest Target's are all sold out by noon, ugh. If anyone finds one in the west side of Orlando, let me know!

Fry's worked out best for me. When bought together, Monster's Inc. rings up at 13.77 and Up at 19.95.

Subtotal =33.72
8.1% Tax = 2.73
Up Coupon= -10
Monster's Inc. Coupon = -8
$10 Coupon attached to Monster's Inc. = -10
Total = 8.45

Thanks OP for tracking this.

Went to Target for both movies:

Up $19.99
Monsters, Inc. $26.99
total was $46.98
Monster Inc coupon -$8
Up coupon - $10
Target buy both get $10 off
so my Grand Total for both movies were $18.98

Thanks for all the help this was awesome, plus Target has the exclusive POSTCARD book that comes with UP just like in the movie, my little ones are going to love it.

Didn't even need to price match anything

Up $19.99
Monster Inc $26.99

Target coupon -$10
Manufacture Up coupon -$10
Manufacture Monsters Inc -$8
Coupon on Monsters Inc Blu-ray box -$10

Subtotal $8.98
NJ Tax 7% on $36.98 = $2.59

Total $11.57

Cashier did say that I couldn't use 2 manufacture coupons at first but after asking why not he scanned them both.

Thanks OP!

Damn Up coupon goes live and i am at work and the link is blocked.. I hope something at Target doesnt happen and I lose out on the deal tomorrow...

bread's done
Back