Airbus 320 Crashes into Hudson River

bigdaddy

Banned
The plane took off at around 3:25, and then it got hit by birds. It's being reported 60-180 (The plane holds 180) people were in the plane. It seemed like a controlled crash, someone got a picture of the plane in the water with the life boats on the side, and then the plane sank.

NEW YORK – A US Airways plane has crashed into the Hudson River, sending passengers fleeing for safety in the frigid waters. Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown says the US Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport enroute to Charlotte, N.C., on Thursday when the crash occured in the river near 48th Street in midtown Manhattan.
Brown says the plane, an Airbus 320, may have been hit by birds.
The plane was submerged in the icy waters up to the windows. Rescue crews had opened the door and were pulling passengers in yellow life vests from the plane. Several boats surrounded the plane, which appeared to be slowly sinking.
New York City firefighters are responding to the crash. It was not immediately clear if there were injuries.
"I saw what appeared to be a tail fin of a plane sticking out of the water," said Erica Schietinger, whose office windows at Chelsea Piers look out over the Hudson. "All the boats have sort of circled the area. ... I can't tell what's what at this point."
Birds... damn birds. We can build huge things and damn geese could take the plane out.

Last edited by a moderator:
sjff_01_img0060.jpg

NPR says injuries but no deaths.

The pilots must have the hugest balls on the planet to land a fucking plane in a river in the middle of the city.

[quote name='keithp']

Looks like everyone got off safe though. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Filler2001']Any dead?[/QUOTE]

:wall:

I remember when that happened to Fabio. Made big news since it happened right up the road here.

It is said that there are no deaths and no serious injuries. That is good news.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Geese (and squirrels) are probably the one thing I think everyone should hunt, damn useless creatures.[/quote]

I nominate parrots. They, and parrot fish, are perhaps the ugliest creatures I have ever seen. Why do they have human-like eyes?!

*screams in terror*

[quote name='bigdaddy']

Birds... damn birds. We can build huge things and damn geese could take the plane out.[/quote]

The NTSB has always known that one good strike by birds or other objects could do major or possibly catastrophic damage to the plane. One thing was for sure, they pilot and passengers were so damned lucky to bring that plane down safely because if it happened mid flight, they would have been fucked.

[quote name='JJSP']No dead? How about the geese that slammed into the plane![/quote]A plane forced to land on a river in a major city and amazingly there are no fatalities. You're concerned about the geese?

good thing there weren't any snakes on the plane..

or else they wouldve made a sequel to snakes on the plane, LOL.

[quote name='JaroldL']good thing there weren't any snakes on the plane..

or else they wouldve made a sequel to snakes on the plane, LOL.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[quote name='Frogurt.man']Wanted for questioning.

FatherIndiJones.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Dead of Knight's corny joke sucked dick, as made apparent by ITDEFX laughing at it.

This, on the other hand... THIS is quality.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Geese (and squirrels) are probably the one thing I think everyone should hunt, damn useless creatures.[/quote]
False.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Why do I have the feeling that somehow we will find out the pilot(s) where drunk?[/quote]

Actually, I think the birds were drunk

Are you sure the plane didn't hit the birds first before the birds retaliated with a suicide attack?

I still thinking flying squirrels were the real cause of the crash. The Feds probably covered that up.
flying-squirrel.jpg

How do they account for these kinds of collisions? I mean, predicting weather is one thing, but predicting the presence of birds is probably as successful as trying to predict when one is going to shit on your car.

[quote name='Megalith']How do they account for these kinds of collisions? I mean, predicting weather is one thing, but predicting the presence of birds is probably as successful as trying to predict when one is going to shit on your car.[/quote]

[quote name='neverletthem']Apparently the pilot was in the Air Force at one time. I'm still surprised they were A: Able to land safely...... basically, and B: no one died.[/quote]

[quote name='hero101']Are you sure the plane didn't hit the birds first before the birds retaliated with a suicide attack?

I still thinking flying squirrels were the real cause of the crash. The Feds probably covered that up.
flying-squirrel.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='Machine']Actually, I think the birds were drunk[/quote]

LOLZ

:rofl:

[quote name='Brak']Dead of Knight's corny joke sucked dick, as made apparent by ITDEFX laughing at it.

[/quote]
You don't get that picture do you?

[quote name='guinaevere']A plane forced to land on a river in a major city and amazingly there are no fatalities. You're concerned about the geese?[/quote]

Those damn PETA members are assholes, we should get them banned. :lol:

[quote name='WeaponX2099']There were enough geese that they were visible on radar. That's a lot of fucking geese.[/quote]

I'd say it's a shitload of geese. ;)

As quoted on CNN.com:

"Since 1975, five large jetliners have had major accidents in which bird strikes played a role, according to the Web site of Bird Strike Committee USA, a volunteer group dedicated to reducing the frequency and severity of the strikes. More than 56,000 bird strikes were reported to the FAA from 1998 to 2004, according to the group's Web site."

....I'm personally not sure if it's crazier that there have been this many planes taken down by birds, or that there's a group called "Bird Strike Committee USA". How on earth do you prevent something like this anyhow? Still, an incredible story. Glad to hear everyone is alive and well.

I read there is a bird related plane incident in one out of every 10,000 flights.

In Chicago, I think, they use trained hawks or falcons to scare the birds away from the airport because it seems the hawks or falcons are smarter than geese and won't go near huge metal objects. :lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']You don't get that picture do you?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='goomba478']As quoted on CNN.com:

"Since 1975, five large jetliners have had major accidents in which bird strikes played a role, according to the Web site of Bird Strike Committee USA, a volunteer group dedicated to reducing the frequency and severity of the strikes. More than 56,000 bird strikes were reported to the FAA from 1998 to 2004, according to the group's Web site."

....I'm personally not sure if it's crazier that there have been this many planes taken down by birds, or that there's a group called "Bird Strike Committee USA". How on earth do you prevent something like this anyhow? Still, an incredible story. Glad to hear everyone is alive and well.[/QUOTE]
They do a lot of things to keep birds away from air ports.

I was working today at 88th and West End Ave (we were shooting a motorcycle stunt sequence for 30 Rock) and somewhere around 345-4ish I noticed a TON of rescue vehicles flying downtown. The sheer scale of the response was really eerie. I lost count, but it was ambulances, cop cars, firetrucks... it wasn't until closer to 430 I found out from an associate what was going on.

In another weird twist, one of our crew members had to go to the hospital this evening (he was experiencing shock from the extreme cold) and we wound up at St. Luke's... turns out, that was the same hospital the pilot and flight crew were admitted to. The FBI/Terrorist task force was there, I guess to debrief them on the situation. Crazy stuff. Crazy day.

bread's done
Back