Alan Wake Downloadable Game XBOX 360 (The Full Game) $12.48 shipped

[quote name='DirkBelig']I don't get why these sellers bother with the lowball prices and ridiculous shipping charges[/QUOTE]

That's easy. It's because ebay gets a vig on the auction price, not the shipping price. So if a seller shifts most of the cost of the item toward shipping, that's less commission they owe ebay.

That's why ebay countered with ebay bucks, which encourages buyers to buy things with normal prices and shipping charges, because ebay bucks are also awarded to the buyer based on the auction price, not the shipping price.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']Do people still not understand this? It wouldn't be $6 without $5.49 shipping. You wouldn't have said anything if it was $10 with $1.49 shipping.[/QUOTE]

That is shady as heck. Is anyone here a lawyer? If one can prove that it doesn't cost them $5.49 to ship a small sheet of cardboard containing the game download code, can they be sued (class action/whatever) for fraud/deceptive practices/whatever? I've paid less to ship books first class.

[quote name='CaseX']That is shady as heck. Is anyone here a lawyer? If one can prove that it doesn't cost them $5.49 to ship a small sheet of cardboard containing the game download code, can they be sued (class action/whatever) for fraud/deceptive practices/whatever? I've paid less to ship books first class.[/QUOTE]

Its Shipping (and handling/processing) which could mean anything from the envelope to the gas its used to go the post office. Deceptive... yes, illegal... no. I just don't buy from these people.

[quote name='DirkBelig']This reminds me of how most hotels gank you for Internet access in the room. I've stayed at OK places with free Net, but the more upscale establishments want ~$13 per DAY per device. I never pay it and curse having to go to the lobby or hunt down a coffee shop with web, but if they just buried the ISP charge in the room, I'd probably be perfectly satisfied. If the choice of a room is $80 with no web or is $93 with "free" web, I'd go for the latter.[/QUOTE]

fixed it for you

[quote name='CaseX']That is shady as heck. Is anyone here a lawyer? If one can prove that it doesn't cost them $5.49 to ship a small sheet of cardboard containing the game download code, can they be sued (class action/whatever) for fraud/deceptive practices/whatever? I've paid less to ship books first class.[/QUOTE]

Trying to find any reason to sue anyone for anything is what wrong with people. And for the information, the shipping charges always include handling and for some small-shop operations handling may be one of the most expensive part of the business, as printing out order invoices, staffing envelopes, attaching label, driving to the Post Office, etc. etc. may take a better part of the day easily.

Having said this I would agree that being honest with the customer and stating the price upfront is the best strategy in securing the purchase. I have had some previous experience operating small Ebay E-store and we tried both tactics of having low bid price with high shipping charges and free shipping with price embedded in the bid. We have seen much higher activity with free shipping items, even though technically the price was the same both cases. Unfortunately, what we have also seen is much higher rate of returns with free shipping option as customers usually had little skin in the game and all those impulsive buyers having remorse for no reason of the product being faulty were having a free rental on our dime, so to say. We had to institute the restocking fee to fight that practice.

[quote name='netscorer']printing out order invoices, staffing envelopes, attaching label, driving to the Post Office.[/QUOTE]

Some people may also call these things "the cost of doing business". I know I do when I sell things.

The "I charge higher shipping because I have to drive to the post office" rap is downright pathetic and when I see that I just chuckle and move right on to the next listing. If times are that tough, the postal carrier will pick up anything that's got a pre-paid label on it. Oh but gosh I suppose I'd then have to subsidize the printer ink it takes to print out the label...

Attaching labels? Seriously? That's so labor intensive you need to charge a premium for it?

A lot of sellers remind me of a twist on the old "penny-wise and pound-foolish" adage. Try and squeeze that extra .50 out of me for phantom "handling" charges and it turns me right off and I'll skip your auction entirely which could cost you extra DOLLARS in what I might have bid up the item price.

It's not like there's not 100 other options for virtually every item at any time. And for more rare items, another one will be along in a day or two. Always. I'm constantly amazed at the number of sellers who don't even realize the turn-off factor with their ridiculous terms and interminable manifestos.

And this concludes my interminable manifesto :applause:

If these sellers are doing it for a living, I'm sure they're perfectly aware of how their charges affect their business and are OK with you skipping them.

I'd guess that for most people(myself included), getting a bargain is their priority above being the self appointed eBay police. So what if eBay loses a few cents in fees? That's between them and the seller.

It most definitely affects the buyer... shipping can be claimed as non-refundable. They sell a $11 item for $5+$6 shipping, but only have to refund you the $5. They pay $1.50 for shipping and still make $4.50 even if you return the item. You are now out $6 on an item you returned. So now it comes down to, is it worth $5 to pay return shipping as well or just keep the item anyway for an $11 loss. Well, most won't bother. The seller has won.

I've been burned once like that, so now it's just easy to avoid the bullshit ship artists.

Right Here

Three resellers, all selling Alan Wake for dirt cheap. Might be another few bucks for shipping but still a pretty good deal.

If this was posted already I apologize, didn't see it.

Totally forgot to post this for you guys but good thing you did :) I got this a couple weeks back for the same price. Amazing deal, goodjob OP

[quote name='cadeSILVER']Where are they? The people who say that no, it's $11 after shipping? They should've arrived by now, maybe they were held up in traffic.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say that but didn't bother. After checking out the prices it really doesn't seem worth that much of a hassle. Maybe if shipping was less... but not too crazy about this game to begin with. Might be a good deal to some people though.

You can get this game for 9.99 used at block buster now. Despite the numerous complaints I had with this game I still really enjoyed it. If you haven't played it yet, get it now

Why doesnt anyone who posts the Alan Wake code listings include the shipping in the op or title? Shipping is almost as much as the actual item...

[quote name='biledriver']It's a card that would fit in a standard envelope. So where exactly does the $3.99 shipping come from?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Amazon set shipping prices? It might be their cheapest option.

bread's done
Back