Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

Dusk

aDuskOddity
Feedback
440 (100%)
alan-wake-0.jpg

Didn't see any topics created for this great game coming out on May 18th, which is only a few weeks away. I love Remedy, and I thought they did a great job with the Max Payne games, especially the style and narrative, and it seems like Alan Wake will be the same type of great game.

Here are some neat .gifs I found, the game looks simply amazing.

10frmft.gif
24pfc46.gif
2wm2v6d.gif
34nl2yr.gif

"The long-awaited Alan Wake finally drops on May 18th for the Xbox 360, but if you want to visit the cursed horror writer's world a little early, there's a great new feature on Xbox Live that you can watch right now for free as long as you have a Gold account.

Bright Falls is a six-episode live-action prequel to Alan Wake. The first two episodes are up now on the service, with a new episode due to be released weekly. Running only a few minutes each, they tell the story of a reporter who comes to Bright Falls, WA to interview a psych for a book he's written. Things do not go as planned, to say the least.
I've viewed those first two eps, and it's safe to say that the folks behind Alan Wake are big "Twin Peaks" fans. Thankfully, unlike the abomination that is Deadly Premonition, they hit all the high points of that wonderful show without being a straight-up copycat.
Episode one covers our reported coming into town and meetings some very, very strange people at the local diner and discovering the town's apparent fascination with deer. Episode two is when things pick up and go pretty completely sideways, with horrific visions, mental blackouts, and a pretty thick feeling of unease for the viewer.
The shorts to be surprisingly well done and very entertaining. They definitely increased my anticipation of the game and further episodes of the series. What's next for Bright Falls? I'm guessing it isn't good, and I can't wait to watch."
Source - http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/37185/alan-wake-visit-bright-falls-xbox-live

wtf there is just now a discussion thread for this game? can't complain to much i don't think there's a L.A. Noire thread either and it seems like the same as this game that it's been announced years ago.

can't wait to play it even though it will be awhile until i get a chance to.

Yeah, I looked through the threads about 3 times and couldn't believe there wasn't a thread on this game.

Those Bright Falls episodes are really great. I really want to play this game but it comes out on the same day as Redemption... and I can't buy both. Eventually I'm going to play it and I really hope that it reflects how much time was spent making it.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Good timing. I just published my initial impressions:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...er~y2010m4d27-Alan-Wake-first-episode-handson

Admittedly, I got sidetracked by some items outside of the story, but I'd like to think there's some helpful info.[/QUOTE]

Good write-up. However, I'd like to know what your best guess is to how the full game will end up. Do you think it'll be a stellar, AAA title, or something lower than that? I realize you've only experienced the first chapter, so I'm just asking for your opinion based on the limited time you've had with the game.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Good write-up. However, I'd like to know what your best guess is to how the full game will end up. Do you think it'll be a stellar, AAA title, or something lower than that? I realize you've only experienced the first chapter, so I'm just asking for your opinion based on the limited time you've had with the game.[/QUOTE]

Check back next week. That's when the review embargo lifts.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Check back next week. That's when the review embargo lifts.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I figured you wouldn't be able to divulge any review-like info. Oh, well, thought I'd try anyway. :)

Been waiting for this a long time.

This will be a great summer of gaming with Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Crackdown 2 coming out not too much later.

Can't believe there hasn't been more hype on this site for the game. Is it suffering from the whole "nobody cares because its been in development for like 6 years" syndrome? Anyways I am looking very forward to this game even though I don't think I will play it right away, going to play Red Dead Redemption first (for MANY hours I'm sure).

[quote name='BingoBrown']Damn. I figured you wouldn't be able to divulge any review-like info. Oh, well, thought I'd try anyway. :)[/QUOTE]

If you and other CAGs want to compile some questions, I can have spoiler-free answers ready in time for next week. It'd be cool to take care of all the questions all at once.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']If you and other CAGs want to compile some questions, I can have spoiler-free answers ready in time for next week. It'd be cool to take care of all the questions all at once.[/QUOTE]

Will you have played through the entire game at that point, or just be able to review the first episode that you gave your impressions of?

Have the CE payed for already. May will be a good month with Reach to help the waiting for this.

Its a shame the game is running Sub-HD though for such a long developed title.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Will you have played through the entire game at that point, or just be able to review the first episode that you gave your impressions of?[/QUOTE]

Should have the whole thing done in the next couple days

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Should have the whole thing done in the next couple days[/QUOTE]

Are you allowed to say what your play time was? I saw some recent reviews and it was anywhere from 10 hours to 16 hours.

16 hour review mentioned some exploring being done.

I haven't been paying much attention to the game either. But after seeing the gameplay and behind the scenes footage from Xbox Live, it looks fantastic. It comes off as Max Payne + Silent Hill. (which is not a bad thing at all). Plus, if the webisodes are any indication of what to expect from the game, then it's a must buy hands down.

Does anyone know if the limited edition contents will include a steelbook case for the game itself? I know the outerbox that contains everything is supposed to resemble a hardbook cover, but Im wondering about the actual game case.

This is the last game for the next few months that I am truly excited for. Everything they have shown so far from bright falls to the trailers have had something very intriguing about them.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Does anyone know if the limited edition contents will include a steelbook case for the game itself? I know the outerbox that contains everything is supposed to resemble a hardbook cover, but Im wondering about the actual game case.[/QUOTE]

The page is in chinese, but you can look at the pictures. http://xboxlife.tw/show.php?fid=2&tid=801

[quote name='rainking187']The page is in chinese, but you can look at the pictures. http://xboxlife.tw/show.php?fid=2&tid=801[/QUOTE]

thats pretty awesome, that CE looks pretty meaty, all ready ordered mine. i want an alan wake flashlight lol. the thing i actually like a lot about this game is your actually famous. people know who you are. so far everything ive heard about the game has been positive. the webisodes are cool to. the fact im getting this and red dead on the same day is a complete toss up on what i'll be playing first. this summer is going to be packed with new games.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']I'm calling this goty.[/QUOTE]

Certainly looks like it could be in the running.

Personally, out of these first five months in the year, I believe that Mass Effect 2, God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Alan Wake all look to be solid GOTY contenders. But, there's still plenty of the year left.

Man, that collector's edition looks nice. I already preordered it and it will be the second ever CE that I decided to drop the cash on (the first was Mass Effect 2).

It does suck that Red Dead Redemption drops the same day, but that will wait until Alan Wake is finished.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Nice! However, while I was watching I got a spoiler :([/QUOTE]

Lol. What did you expect?

It's already been a crazy-good year for gaming, but I have high hopes for this one. I doubt it ill beat ME2 for my goty but we'll see.

I'm excited. May 18th is going to be rough (with this and RDR). I keep hearing the combat is surprisingly engaging and that the story and atmosphere do more than enough to keep you on your toes throughout. I think that constant suspense is where people will get the most out of Alan Wake (not that the combat looks bad or anything).

Is everyone watching the Bright Falls webisodes? They're pretty weird, I'm not sure what to make of them. Hopefully they either make sense at the end, or maybe they won't explain anything and you have to play the game to find out what's going on. I can't wait for this, but I think RDR will occupy most of my time.

[quote name='wildcpac']Lol. What did you expect?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah i know. I was hoping I wouldn't come across any, but I knew I would anyway. Oh well, I don't think it was too big of a spoiler anyway.

Gametrailers gave it an 8.6 (Link)

Kotaku doesn't give a numerical value to their reviews, but they pretty much called it the GOTY.

http://kotaku.com/5527633/alan-wake-review-transcending-its-medium

I am open to the potential of the year's games, but I still can't imagine that Alan Wake will be topped in 2010. It tells a story that is engaging, and yes, emotional. It makes you care, it delivers scares. But most importantly it redefines interactive storytelling. More aptly put, Alan Wake finally delivers on a phrase so overused that it has become a joke.

I'm on the fence about canceling my Amazon preorder for Alan Wake.

I like the faux book packaging but not sure that this is something so cool that the LE wont' drop in price along with regular game.

Anyone have thoughts on this LE?

Is it gonna be Halo Legendary or Bioshock LE?

keep the pre-order and don't open it. rent the game(if you have a local rental store) to see if you like it. or just don't open it and keep it on backlog
I'd say within the first few weeks you'll be able to tell if there are going to be truckloads of extras or not.

then again, just because it's rare doesn't mean it will go up in price. although I hear great reviews are being given to AW

Since its being published by Microsoft I really doubt this limited edition is going to be very limited. It'll probably end up for 1/2 price in a few months when retailers want to free up space.

Yeah the only LE's that are somewhat to really rare and the retailer (usually Gamestop) specific ones and JRPG's like Tales of Vesperia.

I kind of wish these reviews came out next week so that the built anticipation doesn't have to linger for another near two weeks. Or... maybe its just that I really want to play this game.

I know, the wait is going to be even tougher now. Going to get even worse once the RDR embargo is up.

[quote name='Fjordson']I know, the wait is going to be even tougher now. Going to get even worse once the RDR embargo is up.[/QUOTE]

When is that? I have them both falling in my lap the same day already (probably like a lot of you)... but I'm popping Alan's cherry first. That might not have been said as I intend... oh well.

bread's done
Back