Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

I thought the game was really good.. the only thing I didn't like was that when I finished it, I still didn't know what the hell was going on.

[quote name='Corvin']The graphics are sorely lacking as well. I know this was originally developed for the xbox and moved over to the 360, and it definitely looks it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is the first I've heard of this. Source?

It was in development for a long time (since like 2005/2006, I think), but I was under the impression that it was always intended for next-gen consoles.

I'm probably wrong. I think first rumblings were prior to the 360 launch which might be throwing me... and yeah, graphically I think it looks like a late "peak performance" xbox title, or launch 360 title. The story is gripping until they show a wooden Alan or Barry trying to talk. Pulls me right out of it. It definitely shows it's age in regards to development.

Finally got all the achievements in the main game and both DLC episodes. Sure had trouble with the "No Punctuation" one from "The Writer". The jumping parts got me just about every time.

Not sure where that claim came from, but Alan Wake was definitely never developed to be on the Xbox. It was announced in 2005 for "next-gen consoles" and the PC. In 2006, Microsoft got involved with the project, which then made it exclusive to the 360 and PC. Then, of course, they just went with it being a 360 exclusive.

The graphics in this game were pretty good, in my opinion.

Graphics are great in this game. And, to really appreciate the art, check out that Illuminated book that came out with the guide.

Great, great game.

I know I've said this a few times in the thread already, but I'll point it out again. Alan Wake was originally being developed as an open-world game, but the developers felt they could have the story play out exactly as they wanted if the player had complete control of the action. Many of the assets in the game, though, were still from earlier points in the game's developments, which is why the backgrounds look amazing. If there wasn't a "path" you were set to, you could definitely see yourself venturing off in all directions in this game.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the setting is visually stunning. It's the characters that are lacking and my main gripe.

One more chapter of the main game to go. I'm really digging it now. lol

Got it last week and beat it.
I would have to say that this is one of the better games I've played in recent memory.

While it's def not terrifying, it has a lot of creepy and wow moments. Personally I thought the characters were great & the banter between Alan and Barry when together are just plain fantastic. All the nods to different facets of pulp culture were cool too. Twilight zone, Twin Peaks, The Shining, etc.

Joystiq gets confirmation from Remedy for "more Alan Wake".

Full Remedy statement:

So referring to your most recent Joystiq post ... It's awesome to hear you say that Alan Wake appears in your hearts – I've read through all the responses on your site which is fueled with positive responses. It really would seem Alan Wake is very close to the hearts of the fans out there, and to ours too. To that point, it's a shame that this news leaked before our official announcement which will of course include the visuals and information to support it. Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, we owe it to you and the fans to shed a little more light before we get the chance to officially show them what the guys have been up to.

Fans of the franchise will be excited to learn that yes, more Wake is coming! But to be absolutely certain to avoid confusion, this next Wake installment will not be Alan Wake 2. But neither will it be DLC. The rest we're saving for our official announcement when we'll actually SHOW YOU.
We are really excited about this project which a slice of our team has been working on for the last months. It's something that'll definitely give more to the Wake fans out there, but just as importantly, this installment will also give an opportunity for players who aren't familiar with the franchise to finally jump on board.

We can't wait to show you more, bear with us. Release dates, platforms and pricing are unconfirmed as of yet, but Fall 2011 is probably a good guess. More coming soon!

Sounds an awful lot like it's just being ported to other platforms with, perhaps, bonus content. *yawn*

My guess is that it'll be a Kinect version of the original game. Only a 'slice' of the team hs been woring on this project. They're a very small company as it is so my hope is that most of them have been working on Alan Wake 2.

They mention getting more people on board with te franchise. Perhaps a PC version? Or some crappy iPhone game?

I'm definitely curious to see what it is. Guess we'll find out at e3.

bread's done
Back