Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

Downloading now. It should hurry up so I can play it already! Can't wait to play this and the Force Unleashed 2 demo.

Woah... that was the best that the game delivered so far. That was seriously really good on the story, psychology, combat, environment, and sheer uniqueness. Man... I won't discuss spoilers yet but there's a lot there to talk about.

2 run throughs of it already and I loved each one, just wish I could
skip the scene where he see's himself going through counseling
now that I've played it through more than once

up to 1400/1500, need to beat each dlc without reloading still

[quote name='theredworm']2 run throughs of it already and I loved each one, just wish I could
skip the scene where he see's himself going through counseling
now that I've played it through more than once[/QUOTE]

You can skip that, just walk to the door and it prompts you to exit. You actually get a unique dialogue string as well.

I'm the biggest Alan Wake fan out of anybody I know. I absolutely love this game.....and I didn't care for The Writer. It was just too removed from the gameplay and structure of the main game. I 'get' what's going on and how the gameplay fits the story, it just wasn't as fun.

And, I'm sorry, the end boss battle sucked. Not fun and not particularly interesting or "wow" in terms of impact to the story.

Even with my complaints, the end provided a fist-pumping hell-yeah. I was glad to see the usual tag-line "Alan will continue his journey through the night..." or whatever it said.

I will be revisiting to get all the achievements. Maybe a second go-round will change my mind a bit.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm the biggest Alan Wake fan out of anybody I know. I absolutely love this game.....and I didn't care for The Writer.[/QUOTE]

Awww... chubby... come on man... You had a long day. You obviously ran out of beer and then that damn kinda-friend-person called "just to chat" and interrupted the flow. Its ok man, its ok. Don't take it out on the game. Deep breaths... and... go.

[quote name='faceturd']You can skip that, just walk to the door and it prompts you to exit. You actually get a unique dialogue string as well.[/QUOTE]

sweet, I dreaded getting my "finish without restarting" ach because of sitting through that spot

I actually didnt like The Writer as much as The Signal. Too much platforming (ummm hello wasnt thi criticized for having loopy jumping/platforming). The dumb ferris wheel bit that can cause you to die from falling. And it answered nothing. Basically "better hope for a sequel"

[quote name='faceturd']Awww... chubby... come on man... You had a long day. You obviously ran out of beer and then that damn kinda-friend-person called "just to chat" and interrupted the flow. Its ok man, its ok. Don't take it out on the game. Deep breaths... and... go.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Yeah, I'm hoping I have a different reaction this weekend when I give it another go to get the achievements. I did run out of my beverage of choice...Dr Pepper! I NEEDS A FIX!

Just beat it. Spoilers.
Is it just me or did it not really even answer any questions? I still have oh so many questions. What exactly was with Mr. Scratch? I heard them mention him but they never really said what he was...
So, Alan is trapped in the Dark Place trying to write himself out, by starting a new book entitled "Return?" There's still so much.
Obviously, there will be a second one, based upon the ending. Can't wait for that. But since he's trapped in the Dark Place, does that mean the second one will be more of what we got in the DLC's? I didn't like those as much as the normal game...

UGHHH! Screw the stupid zero punctuation achievement. I was having a play through to try and get my last two achievements for this game (which I had already tried about 5 times), zero punctuation and survive the boss without getting low health (which I ended up getting this time), and I was approaching the lighthouse. All of the sudden, 5 enemies spawn around me (literally AROUND me) and kill me within a half second. I didn't even get to move. I respawned because I could try to get the other one still, and the guys didn't spawn this time. WTH!!!

[quote name='matto1233']UGHHH! Screw the stupid zero punctuation achievement. I was having a play through to try and get my last two achievements for this game (which I had already tried about 5 times), zero punctuation and survive the boss without getting low health (which I ended up getting this time), and I was approaching the lighthouse. All of the sudden, 5 enemies spawn around me (literally AROUND me) and kill me within a half second. I didn't even get to move. I respawned because I could try to get the other one still, and the guys didn't spawn this time. WTH!!![/QUOTE]

I'm having a hard time with this one, too. Last one I need and it was just pissing me off the other night. I'm going to give it a day or two then try again.

Is that the one without dying? Just use your Flares a lot. At the lighthouse bit always pop the "clear" and go forward forward forward as the light will kill anyone behind you. And play on Normal of course.

Finally got it after about 15 tries. It's my fourth retail 100% (King Kong, NCAA Football 2010, and COD4). That speaks to how good the game is. I rarely 100%. Anyway, I'm currently attempting to peace the story together using the very helpful Alan Wake wikipedia. I recommend all Alan Wake crazies like me take a look at it.
http://alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Alan_Wake_Wiki

Played through The Writer this evening. I enjoyed it, but like others I thought this and the first DLC weren't nearly as good as the main game. Too much combat which is the games weak point IMO, and thin on the plot compared to the main game (which was the strong point).

Still loved it as a whole though and definitely hope there's a sequel!

Well I beat The Writer twice already with 1450/1500.The first time took me like you guys said a hour and a half.Second it took me only about 30 mins at the most.Now just to get that achievement were you can't die dang another pain in the ass I hated the one from The Signal where you couldn't die the whole DLC.While I might give it a shot tommow.

Great news. Chances of a sequel looking pretty good right now...
According to a recent job posting, Remedy is hiring for a producer position on an upcoming Xbox 360 project. The listing doesn't offer any concrete details on the game, noting only that it is a "AAA console project." The fact that the project is only pegged to the Xbox 360 platform could point to an Alan Wake sequel, which would make sense given that the final Alan Wake DLC is out and the company already has a sequel mapped out. Of course, Alan Wake's unimpressive sales debut casts some doubt on the possibility of a sequel.
--Joystiq

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a sequel.

They have the engine etc. done so they should get a sequel out pretty quickly and cheaply, and thus that's a way to make back the money they lost on the first one with all the delays and lackluster sales etc.

[quote name='MSUHitman']For those wondering from earlier, NewEgg has the Alan Wake CE in stock for $50 right now.[/QUOTE]
With free shipping to.

Is anyone else a little surprised at how little recognition AW got in any of the various awards this month from any site?

I think it only saw it show up on IGN for best horror game.

I'm really starting to think we will not get a sequel.

I interpreted their move to put it in the winter 360 bundle as a good thing...? Bigger exposure, build the base for a sequel. Is that the wrong way to think about it?

[quote name='faceturd']I interpreted their move to put it in the winter 360 bundle as a good thing...? Bigger exposure, build the base for a sequel. Is that the wrong way to think about it?[/QUOTE]

exactly and making it a download code instead of a physical copy less people taking their copy straight to gamestop and trading it in, more likely that people will download and play it

[quote name='faceturd']I interpreted their move to put it in the winter 360 bundle as a good thing...? Bigger exposure, build the base for a sequel. Is that the wrong way to think about it?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not the wrong way to think. We already know that Remedy wants to make the sequel, so the only hurdle is making someone think it will be worth publishing. The way this game sold, that's obviously a big hurdle now. But maybe exposing the game to more people will get talk about it going again. We can only hope. This was a great game. It would be an absolute shame for the universe to end here.

Most underrated game this year, that's for sure. Excellent game. Even though I don't think of Time as a particularly respectable place for game...anything....glad that it'll get some exposure.

A sequel is my most wanted game right now. Well, behind Mass Effect 3, but that's on it's way.

But to see an outlet like Time magazine even acknowledging its existence is quite an achievement itself- possibly even more significant than if it had taken top honors from say Gamespot or something. Usually the "traditional media firms" just pick whatever was popular like Black Ops. Here they seem to have picked a title based on its gaming merits and not just what was popular amongst mass media.

Their description of it being a successful "mature" game was quite spot on.

It would be cool to see them experiment with AW2 and put it out directly as downloadable. I'm sure they are trying to think of an appropriate game to start distributing digitally from the get-go. Cut price and take advantage of the episodic nature. They already have the heavy lifting done for them and just need to make the sequel and polish... like ME1>ME2 or Assassin's Creed 1>2.

And I am with you chubby, AW2 and ME3... thats what we want!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Did anyone who played AW also play Deadly Premonition? If so, would you recommend it?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. If you dug the story of Alan Wake, then there's no reason you wouldn't like Deadly Premonition. It's not as polished as AW, but it has so much depth and creativity, it's hard not to like. The plot is pretty out there, but the characters are interesting and entertaining, and there are tons of side missions to do. It was probably one of the most in depth budget games I've ever played.

Did anyone get this from the holiday bundle? If so, were you able to redeem it on xbox.com? I have a code that I got from someone who already has a disc copy. Unfortunately, it's coming up as invalid for me trying to redeem it on the web. I'm staying with family right now and won't have access to my 360 for another week. I'm currently unable to get in contact with the person who (hopefully) has the physical card and can verify the code. I found a person in the xbox.com comments who wasn't able to redeem it on the website, but had it work on the console. Of course that could have just been one guy making a typo. So, anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter how my post at the top of the page works out in the end, I am now committed to playing the game. I bought both pieces of DLC. Damn sales...

[quote name='lordopus99']Is the writer worth a playthrough? Note I was not a fan of the Signal but did enjoy the regular game.[/QUOTE]

writer>signal big time at least for me

I liked the signal better, but the writer is very good. Just be prepared because it is the biggest departure (rimshot! Yeah!) from the style of play of the main game. It's just kind of trippy, but it's still Alan Wake in terms of narrative and combat, which is a good thing.

I actually need to go back to play this because I have one last achievement to get and it's in this DLC.

I liked the trippy writer DLC over the signal. Signal was just hard... there was a lot of creativity in the writer. Definitely worth a play.

[quote name='theredworm']writer>signal big time at least for me[/QUOTE]

Same. The Signal had too much combat, which was the weakest part of the game since it's so bland and repetitive.

Ugh, finally, after many attempts, I finally got "no punctuation" on Alan Wake and 1500/1500'd the game. Good lord, I love this game.

bread's done
Back