Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

I agree it seems like something is up with the extension of this franchise. It seems like Remedy has been very vocal about their interest in continuing, but it doesn't seem reciprocated by Microsoft. Then we get the abrupt announcement that this is the last of the DLC. Seems fishy.

But, my gut is telling me that AW2 is coming and it will truly be episodic in nature. As in, new episode every week or two at 400 or 560 points each episode. If you think about it, it would be kind of tricky to program for something like that. Not impossible, but could be tricky.

I really need to go back to this game. I was on my second play through on the hardest setting. I was trying to find all the pages too. I think I'm right bear the end again. Then new games took over lol.

I've got a LE and regular edition sealed up waiting to be played. Is the content of the game case identical in both versions (particularly the DLC code that was mentioned in prior messages)? I would prefer keeping the LE sealed up for now. It's a pretty damn sweet looking one.

The game case in the LE is black like the Forza 3 LE. The regular one is a standard green XBox case. Both will have the code for The Signal in there as a download token card.

[quote name='theredworm']You are better doing collection achievements on an easier playthrough. Most of nightmare mode you are going to spend running.[/QUOTE]

Though for the pages some are only available to find on Nightmare mode.

yeah but finding just the nightmare pages is much easier than finding every page in the game

the extra disc in the in LE has a download to harddrive commentary track that you can have on while playing the game

i want button prompts on my dodges (this goes for silent hill H and Alan wake)

where is the SH homecoming thread anyway. i want to write my beef with that game in its thread (search feature here "isn't" quite helping)

Very interested in this game because I love a game with a strong narrative, but I'm not a huge survival horror fan (I get freaked out too easily). But this strikes me more like action/suspense than horror. Think I'll enjoy it?

Also, is it worth seeking out the Limited Edition version? At what price?

the game is great

"the writer" dlc comes out Oct 12th and is supposed to be the final dlc

I'm not one to really ever buy the Limited Edition versions of any game so I don't know if you are the kind of gamer that buys those or not.

I picked up the LE recently when Amazon had it for $40 (got it for $20 with my credit from Reach). I have to say it's easily one of the better LE's out there, especially if you end up liking the story and want to go deeper. The book that comes with it, The Alan Wake Files, is actually hardcover with a dust jacket.

[quote name='theredworm']the game is great

"the writer" dlc comes out Oct 12th and is supposed to be the final dlc

I'm not one to really ever buy the Limited Edition versions of any game so I don't know if you are the kind of gamer that buys those or not.[/QUOTE]

I almost never do. The only one I've bought in recent memory was Mass Effect 2, and only because I REALLY love that franchise. But I'd heard this was a worthwhile LE and it's being discounted a lot of places now.

[quote name='Tybee']Very interested in this game because I love a game with a strong narrative, but I'm not a huge survival horror fan (I get freaked out too easily). But this strikes me more like action/suspense than horror. Think I'll enjoy it?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not big on survival horror either, but I love this game. It is pretty creepy at times, but it's more action oriented and you pretty much always have plenty of bullets etc.

Yeah it isn't as jump out of your seat scary as some other horror games. I'd say it's creepier, more atmospheric, like a Stephen King book come to life.

[quote name='Tybee']Also, is it worth seeking out the Limited Edition version? At what price?[/QUOTE]

First, it is definitely worth playing based on enjoying narrative. You'll be happy with it.

I am not a big LE guy but bought it because I really like the game. I think it isn't necessarily something to seek out. The book is neat and all but isn't that interesting. It also comes with a CD of the music that you may be interested in though I think you can just buy the select tunes online that you don't have. I thought the video commentary would be interesting to hear but I literally turned it off near the end of the first sequence because all they did was terribly describe exactly what you were doing in the game, "This is where we introduce a bad guy and you learn to use a gun..." Riveting.

Best LE/CE ever. I am, unfortunately, a sucker for collectors editions. This one was great. The Soundtrack (still, you gotta get the unofficial one) is great, the making-of commentary in-game is fun, the avatar award, and the Alan Wake Files....if you're a fan of the story, you HAVE to read this.

To me, this game and the CE is a no-brainer at full retail. If you can get it for less, smack yourself if you don't buy it.

On the topic of the Writer DLC.......I'm bummed the achievements haven't been revealed yet. I want to know what I'm up against if I'm gonna keep my 100% score on this game.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']On the topic of the Writer DLC.......I'm bummed the achievements haven't been revealed yet. I want to know what I'm up against if I'm gonna keep my 100% score on this game.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

Thanks for the advice, guys. How is the achievement difficulty in the game? Do you think the LE will be $40 (or less) again? Right now it's $60 on Amazon.

[quote name='Tybee']Thanks for the advice, guys. How is the achievement difficulty in the game? Do you think the LE will be $40 (or less) again? Right now it's $60 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I got all of the achievements, which is EXTREMELY rare (my completion percentage is about 40%). It's not bad at all. Or maybe I just loved the game so much. :lol:

[quote name='matto1233']I got all of the achievements, which is EXTREMELY rare (my completion percentage is about 40%). It's not bad at all. Or maybe I just loved the game so much. :lol:[/QUOTE]

This. I don't 100% often at all (only AW and Fable 2 for retail games along with a few kids games). Getting all 1250 was fun. Not too hard, but not too easy.

I NEVER play games a second time and this was the first game in about 8 years that I actually played through a second time and had just as much fun as the first time. I even wrapped up the collectible achievements on nightmare and it was a blast.

I didn't bother trying to 100% it--but I've 100% no games though. Only ones I was close was oblivion (missed 1 Shivering Isle achievement) and Mass Effect 2 (all but insanity play through 1 that I won't do).

Alan Wake I liked a lot but didn't have any desire to replay again as it is pretty repetitive in terms of combat, types of enemies etc. And I don't like achievements that are collectathon/treasure hunt crap where you have to find every random item hidden around the levels etc.

But if you don't mind that, it should be pretty easy to 100% since you can run from a lot of the combat which would make the nightmare play through easier.

It may seem odd after a first playthrough... but take a month or so off and then play it again on nightmare and it is very rewarding. A second time through the story plus the nostalgia of playing through so many great parts really make it a memorable experience.

[quote name='Tybee']Thanks for the advice, guys. How is the achievement difficulty in the game? Do you think the LE will be $40 (or less) again? Right now it's $60 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Maybe on Black Friday as a closeout.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I didn't bother trying to 100% it--but I've 100% no games though. Only ones I was close was oblivion (missed 1 Shivering Isle achievement) and Mass Effect 2 (all but insanity play through 1 that I won't do).

Alan Wake I liked a lot but didn't have any desire to replay again as it is pretty repetitive in terms of combat, types of enemies etc. And I don't like achievements that are collectathon/treasure hunt crap where you have to find every random item hidden around the levels etc.

But if you don't mind that, it should be pretty easy to 100% since you can run from a lot of the combat which would make the nightmare play through easier.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I finally finished out Oblivion a couple months ago and did 100% it, but that is very rare for me, especially if it requires a second play through. I'm playing through ME2 on Veteran as we speak and deciding whether or not to do an Insanity run. It's pretty much my favorite franchise going, so if I'm going to do it for anything, I'll do it for this. We'll have to see about Alan Wake. I'm okay with the occasional collection achievement if it's not too crazy. Achievements are supposed to add fun, not frustration, IMO.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Maybe on Black Friday as a closeout.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good call. I'll watch for deals around then.

Joystiq has a review up:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/11/alan-wake-the-writer-review/
The Writer is a clear improvement on the previous downloadable add-on, The Signal, in almost every way. The level design blends well with the fiction and restores the feeling of surprise that you don't often find in an epilogue. And though this episode does not provide ultimate closure, it's the right place to stop and take a break from Alan Wake's story. Wouldn't want the man to get typecast.
Doesn't provide ultimate closure?! Whaaa?!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, I'm pretty sure they want to do a sequel (Season 2), so it's no surprise there isn't ultimate closure.[/QUOTE]

Given how poorly the game sold, isn't that a risky proposition at this point?

It's near 750K at this point, and you can bet it will definitely get a lot of GOTY nominations. Games with far worst showings, both financially and critically, have gotten sequels.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's near 750K at this point, and you can bet it will definitely get a lot of GOTY nominations. Games with far worst showings, both financially and critically, have gotten sequels.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. Even though I haven't played it yet, from everything I've heard/read it warrants a sequel. I just thought the sales were really disappointing.

But you're absolutely right. Sequels have been produced for worse performing titles, so there's reason to hope.

Looking forward to this DLC. Probably won't get to it for a week or two though as I'm swamped with work and family visiting this weekend etc.

Finished. Awesome. Spoilers:
Missing two Night Springs games (my fav's were the roof, and the lookout point) and the Secret Area. Getting past the tornado in 60 sec. is gonna be a challenge, but No Punctuation shouldn't be that hard (didn't die once in combat, but the environmental puzzles are going to kill you your first time out). Loved the ending, bring it on!

[quote name='Tybee']Don't get me wrong. Even though I haven't played it yet, from everything I've heard/read it warrants a sequel. I just thought the sales were really disappointing.

But you're absolutely right. Sequels have been produced for worse performing titles, so there's reason to hope.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, you're right. For a game that was in development that long and had that much care put into it, I am sure they would have wanted far more financial gain from it. They definitely seem intent on continuing the story, though, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'm sure someone might ask for an example of a game that did worse than Alan Wake and still got a sequel. Off the top of my head, I can think of Kane and Lynch. Across the PS3 and 360, I am sure it sold less than 1.5M and got awful reviews.

DLC capped off the game nicely. Defenitely my third favorite game this year behind Reach, which is of course behind Mass Effect 2.

bread's done
Back