Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I loved my nightmare playthrough because it played so different. On normal, you could buzz through, capping Taken, no problem. But, on Nightmare, you have to play so much more defensively. It really makes for an almost new experience. I loved every second of it. And, even though I listened to the soundtrack a million times, it was still cool to get the final manuscript pages, especially the very last one. Being able to revisit that quote was cool.[/QUOTE]

I am still 5 or so short on manuscripts, 10 thermoses, and 2 weapon caches... But in my excitement I finally broke down and just bought the CE so that when I play through again in a few weeks or so I can have the commentary running. I look forward to understanding what you mean by "that quote."

Will totally have to get a Nightmare playthrough in once I get my game back from a friend. Are there any spots where you're completely out of ammo and screwed, or can you just haul ass to the next safe haven?

There are definitely more areas where ammo is lower and there seem to be larger swarms of enemies. I believe on my normal playthrough I only ran to light once whereas on nightmare I think I did it 4 or 5 times. However, with some of the set pieces they really throw a lot of guys at you but they also stack you up with supplies and you are like Alan "Rambo" Wake. I felt the normal playthrough was quite easy, and though the nightmare is harder, it isn't always that hard.

I strongly recommend the CE. The commentary is okay, not amazing. But the soundtrack and book are great.

With regards to "that quote" I was referring to one of the last nightmare manuscript pages.

Just finished this game yesterday, and wow, it was amazing! I can't believe I didn't have this pre-ordered. I feel like I have no clue which games to buy at launch anymore. Lots of the big multi-player games that puff out their chests and claim "replay value" are glitch fests filled with douchebag cheaters. But then you've got single player games like this with relatively short campaigns that are the definition of quality and worth every penny.

This was a game I said I'd "wait on" until it dropped in price because being a single player game, there was no rush to buy it right away. But as I read all the reviews, I started getting antsy. And once I saw that the LE was actually becoming somewhat difficult to find (GS.com has been sold out for a while now), I decided to grab it when I saw it pop up on the Amazon Warehouse. And what a great decision that was! I'm a huge fan of the Max Payne games, and I knew that Remedy was behind this, but I really didn't think they would follow up the Max style so faithfully this many years later.

Most developers seem to stray from their big hits so they don't pigeon hole themselves, but it's nice to see Remedy recognize what their strengths are and WHY they became so famous to begin with. Even the intentional nods to MP aside, I also got the film noir vibe just from Alan reading the manuscript pages and basically narrating the game. I can only hope that the new Max Payne game will be this good, but I kinda have my doubts based on the screens I've seen and the fact that it's all Rockstar on this one. But it's really nice to have a game like Alan Wake feel like it's carrying on the lineage.

The list of achievements for the first DLC, The Signal, are up on xbox360achievements.org. An additional 250 points. Looks like some fun ones, like collectible AW standee's. Fun stuff. I loved that part when Barry was mocking Alan using the cut out.

A new teaser for The Signal popped onto Xbox Live as well... it was very much a teaser, to the point of pissing me off. The list of achievements seem quite expansive... I wonder if this episode will be closer to 2 hours in order to collect all that stuff?

[quote name='faceturd']A new teaser for The Signal popped onto Xbox Live as well... it was very much a teaser, to the point of pissing me off. The list of achievements seem quite expansive... I wonder if this episode will be closer to 2 hours in order to collect all that stuff?[/QUOTE]

biggest waste of a download. the teaser had to be only 2 seconds long.

[quote name='lordopus99']biggest waste of a download. the teaser had to be only 2 seconds long.[/QUOTE]

That teaser was a major suck! Okay, so it's Alan's eye and ... um ... Alan looking upset about something. Wow, major letdown. They couldn't get 10 seconds of gameplay footage?

How are they going to save this game? I am hoping that the DLC is quite substantial and they do a GOTY in the fall with the DLC and really drive the game home. 2 full-length episodic DLCs would extend the game quite a bit and make the $60 more palatable to more people.

Do they still offer free DLC with a new copy of this? Will they offer that forever? I usually don't buy single player only games when they come out, but I've heard great things about this and if the DLC is free for a limited time I might have to pick this up soon.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Joystiq's "The Signal" DLC Review is up.

I might be too afraid to read it.[/QUOTE]

They are positive about it, can't wait for it to hit the marketplace.

This game has been Joystiq's darling from the the day it was released. But I do have faith that it'll be awesome. I've seen a few reviews now and they've all been positive.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Joystiq's "The Signal" DLC Review is up.

I might be too afraid to read it.[/QUOTE]

There are a few slight spoiler-esque remarks, but nothing that appears too damaging. But, there wasn't really anything that was too enlightening either.

So I got an Xbox Slim. I can't remember if I already entered in my token for the free DLC for Alan Wake, but when I try entering it in on my Slim it says it's invalid.

Am I screwed?

read joystiqs review and watched giants bombs quick look and i cant wait! about to load it up and continue on nightmare mode

[quote name='GizmoGC']So I got an Xbox Slim. I can't remember if I already entered in my token for the free DLC for Alan Wake, but when I try entering it in on my Slim it says it's invalid.

Am I screwed?[/QUOTE]

The DLC isn't out, so the code shouldn't work yet. Try again on the 27th.

[quote name='GizmoGC']So I got an Xbox Slim. I can't remember if I already entered in my token for the free DLC for Alan Wake, but when I try entering it in on my Slim it says it's invalid.

Am I screwed?[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but I think you are. bs000 doesn't know what he's talking about. The code doesn't come up "invalid" just because the DLC isn't out yet. It gives you a message thanking you for buying the game and lets you know that you will receive an email with a code to download the actual DLC once it's out. Do you not remember seeing this at all on your old Xbox? But if it's coming up "invalid", you've most likely used it already.

If I entered the code, I didn't watch the video. But it's possible they will e-mail me the code if I entered in the DLC Code? Such a mess.

I'm currently not-so-patiently awaiting a sale so I can pick this up already! I hope they are still giving out the DLC for free.

[quote name='matto1233']I'm currently not-so-patiently awaiting a sale so I can pick this up already! I hope they are still giving out the DLC for free.[/QUOTE]

Its $39.89 at amazon right now... thats a decent price.

i still didnt get my code e-mailed to me, and i know i redeemed the code shortly after i beat the game, ugh come on microsoft

I'm not sure how I feel about The Signal. The gameplay aspect was awesome-- but really, what did it add to the story? It seems like the next DLC add-on will be the most important story-wise.

I loved The Signal. I am slightly disappointed that it was such a side-step as far as the plot, but it was a lot of fun to play through.

Although, I found a few fights annoyingly frustrating. I beat the main game on hard without much difficulty, but this was fuckin' tough at spots. Lots of cramped spaces jammed with enemies.

Looks like I was one of those idiots who already redeemed my code at launch so It's saying it will cost me 560. Read on gamefaqs and the xbox forums it will be 1-2 days before a new code is mailed to me. fuck.

Ahhh...that's the issue? Why would it tell you to redeem the code if it was going to cause a problem? I thought they actually WANTED people to redeem it right away to give them some kind of sales estimate or something. Otherwise, they should have just printed on the damn card "Redeem on 7/27". Or have the code actually not do anything until that date. Seems like a really botched set up.

I might be the exception but man is the DLC tough and I play just on normal. Ten times harder than my experience with the regular quest.

At the part where you go down the train tracks, I am getting slaughtered. I tried running but to no avail they now spawn guys in front of you. If I spend time to kill these guys, will they stop or is this an unlimited spawn area? Any tips?

Beat it this morning on nightmare and it was a lot harder than the previous chapters. Agreed with the cramped fighting and I was getting destroyed by the poltergeist objects. But even so, I loved every second of it. Can't wait until The Writer!

@Monsta Mack-- I did the same thing and received my code through email around 10 am.

Just to clear up any confusion, if you did try to redeem the code early, you are not screwed. I saw on the AW Facebook page this morning that they will be sending out new codes.

Whew, just got my code as well. That's at least acceptable. I was never worried about not getting a new code...just the prospect of waiting 2 days because of something that could have been easily avoided. Thankfully, it seems the 2 day estimate was exaggerated. DL'ing now! :)

[quote name='lordopus99']I might be the exception but man is the DLC tough and I play just on normal. Ten times harder than my experience with the regular quest.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I just started the DLC on Normal myself and it's quite a bit more difficult than the base games chapters. So far this is some great DLC and I can't wait for more after this.

Seems some of you forgot that this isn't an additional episode. It's sold as a 'special feature to season one'.

In other words, it's meant to be more like a bonus feature on the dvd of a tv series.

just finished it. missed 2 alarm clocks and 2 standees. that episode was pretty trippy and a few parts were definitely really hard. i liked how they used "words" to progress most of the story instead of manuscript pages. i liked the ending a lot and cant wait to see where they take it in the next episode. is it just me or does zane sounds a lot like max payne? this game feels like an extension of max payne to me down to the music and the story twists, i love it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Looks like I was one of those idiots who already redeemed my code at launch so It's saying it will cost me 560. Read on gamefaqs and the xbox forums it will be 1-2 days before a new code is mailed to me. fuck.[/QUOTE]
I'm confused by this. I redeemed my code a couple days after I got the game, and yet I was able to download the DLC (I believe anyway. I queued it up with no cost). And yet, I got a code in my email earlier?

[quote name='YodaEXE']I'm confused by this. I redeemed my code a couple days after I got the game, and yet I was able to download the DLC (I believe anyway. I queued it up with no cost). And yet, I got a code in my email earlier?[/QUOTE]

Yeap I just got my code awhile back, downloaded it and then beat it promptly. Took a little over two hours for me, and missed most of the standees and other achievements. Can't wait for the second DLC.

Woah... claustrophobically intense. I finished it kind of quickly because I ran to a lot of lights. I am happy to see the direction it is headed, its almost exactly how I wished it to be. More trippy and more to do with creation.

But storywise:

I think it added a bit to the story in that Alan is "in" the darkness, which is an actual odd-world of his own making. The other option could have been that his darkness was just writing

I am also getting the vibe that the real enemy may be Zane... he kept saying not to go "deeper" when in truth you just followed whatever he said. Whose to say he isn't the one leading you deeper?

Also, I didn't get a difficulty option? Did it just carry over from your end-game?

Played through it twice now, first time to enjoy the story/gameplay and again tonight to shoot some achievements down.

Run on sentence is my only achievement left for The Signal.

I have 99/100 thermos and nightmare mode left to do yet.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Seems some of you forgot that this isn't an additional episode. It's sold as a 'special feature to season one'.

In other words, it's meant to be more like a bonus feature on the dvd of a tv series.[/QUOTE]

I think of it as the Christmas episode lol.

man I just played this this morning and It was amazing ! If I had payed the 7 bucks I feel it would have been worth it. I cannot believe people didn't buy this game. the story is every bit as good and messed up as any game that has ever come out, and the comedy is a great break from the intense fighting.

This DLC is fucking HARD !

the part where you have to go across the field to open the door and run back while the 2 monster trucks attack you. I tried it about 6 times to do it without using a vehicle for the achievement but my lord it it is frustrating as hell especially when guys pop up all over the place while you are running. Definitely a severe lack of ammo I found but I might have missed some, I found myself dieing on purpose in a few spots just to respawn with a 12 revolver rounds

FINALLY picked this up today at Meijer, they were offering free microsoft points if you bought a game $60 or more. Anyway, should I watch those Bright Falls webisodes BEFORE I play the game? Do they tie into the story of the game at all?

bread's done
Back