Alan Wake (Limited Collector's Edition) - $79.99

RBH

CAGiversary!
0088537008528500x500.jpg

alanwakespecialedition.jpg

Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The pack will include:

• Game Disc in box with unique art
  • Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
  • “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
  • Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
  • Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
  • Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
Preorder to receive the Bright Falls Bonus Pack, which includes exclusive content like Avatar gear, an Xbox LIVE theme, and a “making of” video.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002I0JFN8/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alan-Wake-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/13313721

Release date is set for May 18th:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177916

4351033346_e06f4955ac.jpg

4351033116_8348b1af57_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tony208']So is Alan Wake like, the 360's Heavy Rain?[/QUOTE]

Not...really, as far as I know. Heavy rain is based on contextual actions and an elastic story that changes here and there as you go based on your decisions with dramatically different outcomes. It's, atleast I think it should be, grounded in reality(fictional, but possible).

Alan wake is an action game with kinda open kinda linear environments(read on the game, it's hard to tell) with a supernatural thriller trapping. Blurring the lines between reality and imagination, the world in the game as I read it seems similar to silent hill.

I really only see the similarities in the graphics, adult themed game and being console exclusives near the same time which automatically means they will be compared.

[quote name='Ruahrc']
If you keep track, what is the item on the right side of the center stack? It looks kind of like a book, but the Alan Wake Files book is clearly shown as the center item in the stack. Is it something else? A case to hold the extra 2 discs (soundtrack and bonus disc)? I can't really tell. Presumably all of the stuff fits inside that book-looking case in the upper right, which in turn gets sleeved as shown in the upper left. But what is that booklet looking thing on the right side of the center stack?

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

As others have mentioned, I would guess that it's a hardcover cardboard (high end though, not cheap ... like a hardback book cover) case for the 2 DVDs on that side. Basically I am almost positive from the picture that we will receive the book in a plastic slip cover. You open the book and there are 3 items - the 'files' book, the actual game case (possibly different art than the standard version, but a plastic case -possibly black instead of green) and then the 3rd cardboard case and I bet it has those foam disc holders. Similar to the release of GTA San Andreas for PC, if anyone ever saw that release. It was hardcover, like a book, and had the manual bound and printed in the front and a foam circle in the back that a disc sat on.

Now I could be completely wrong ;) .. but that's just the feel I get from looking at the package. It actually looks quite nice, assuming of course that the game turns out to be worth buying (I'll be watching the reviews like a hawk before release because I seriously can't tell how this game is going to turn out by the gameplay and trailers I've watched so far).

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']not at all.
what would make you think that? they really have nothing in common.[/QUOTE]

They're compared in the media fairly often, so it's not completely out of left field for him to think that.

Both are mature (though Alan Wake somehow snagged a T), console-exclusive games which are being billed as psychological thrillers. Even if that's where the similarities end, it's not like someone's comparing God of War to Hello Kitty Island Adventure. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']They're compared in the media fairly often, so it's not completely out of left field for him to think that.

Both are mature (though Alan Wake somehow snagged a T), console-exclusive games which are being billed as psychological thrillers. Even if that's where the similarities end, it's not like someone's comparing God of War to Hello Kitty Island Adventure. ;)[/QUOTE]

^ Also like it or not fanboys will compare them, the scores they receive, and the sales numbers. I'll just buy both games and laugh at their misfortune.

Anyway I'm not sure this LE is all that great and won't be buying it unless it drops $10 or Amazon adds a credit with it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']^ Also like it or not fanboys will compare them, the scores they receive, and the sales numbers. I'll just buy both games and laugh at their misfortune.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's that too I suppose. I'll definitely be getting Heavy Rain tomorrow but not sure on Alan Wake yet until I see more gameplay or a demo.

I just wanted to point out that they Gamestop daily deal can be used on this. $10 off. You'll still have to pay tax, but it will probably save you around $5 off the Amazon price. You'll have to wait for the value shipping, though. Just use "10BUCKS" at checkout.

After reading the phrasing about the collector's edition and looking at the picture again, I think the giant book on the top right in the photo will actually house the game and all the other stuff too, essentially making it the game case. Personally I'd rather have a normal game case, but I really like that theme, the idea of the developer commentary and getting the DLC included which will probably be $5-10 itself anyway.

[quote name='graf1k']After reading the phrasing about the collector's edition and looking at the picture again, I think the giant book on the top right in the photo will actually house the game and all the other stuff too, essentially making it the game case. [/QUOTE]

I imagine. Looks like bioshock 2, unique box with everything housed inside and the normal "alan wake, 360" looking thing is probably a slip cover.

I agree except I think within that book-styled "box", is a standard DVD case (although it's not standard in the sense that it is neon green with the white 360 banner on the top) which actually holds the game. Thus if you wanted to store away the CE case and extras, and put the game itself in line with your other 360 games, you will be able to do that (except that it might stick out because it apparently will be black).

Ruahrc

Has anyone found any places giving away the pre-order bonus disc yet? I've checked my local BB and GS with no luck.

[quote name='ruxtpin']Has anyone found any places giving away the pre-order bonus disc yet? I've checked my local BB and GS with no luck.[/QUOTE]

Walmart.com is the only place I've seen any mention of the preorder bonus so far, but their description makes it sound like it's just some codes, not a disc. I doubt any place would have it this early anyways.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I agree except I think within that book-styled "box", is a standard DVD case (although it's not standard in the sense that it is neon green with the white 360 banner on the top) which actually holds the game. Thus if you wanted to store away the CE case and extras, and put the game itself in line with your other 360 games, you will be able to do that (except that it might stick out because it apparently will be black).

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right. That's what the original Bioshock LE was like and I wish all other LE/CEs gave you AT LEAST a normal case for your game.

Also what is this pre-order bonus people are talking about from Walmart? Last I saw Walmart took their preorder down but from what I see, it seems like everything listed in the LE is the same for all retailers.

[quote name='graf1k']I hope you are right. That's what the original Bioshock LE was like and I wish all other LE/CEs gave you AT LEAST a normal case for your game.

Also what is this pre-order bonus people are talking about from Walmart? Last I saw Walmart took their preorder down but from what I see, it seems like everything listed in the LE is the same for all retailers.[/QUOTE]

MS I believe announced a pre-order incentive. It is some kind of costume stuff for your avatar and etc.

I don't really understand the problem with getting a game with an alternative case seeing as your "standard case" is merely a shipping case and is not recommend for storing your game if your are using it frequently seeing as it puts extra wear and tear on the disc, I have had two games break like this and after the second I promptly began to use a CD/DVD storage book for all of my current gen titles, with all of the cases tucked neatly away. Just a thought, to each his own.

[quote name='leesiulung']MS I believe announced a pre-order incentive. It is some kind of costume stuff for your avatar and etc.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay. Well looking at the Amazon description, it has the same stuff. Also even though the link in the OP doesn't seem to work for Walmart, just search on their site and the LE is still up there for $79

[quote name='Lil Flip']I don't really understand the problem with getting a game with an alternative case seeing as your "standard case" is merely a shipping case and is not recommend for storing your game if your are using it frequently seeing as it puts extra wear and tear on the disc, I have had two games break like this and after the second I promptly began to use a CD/DVD storage book for all of my current gen titles, with all of the cases tucked neatly away. Just a thought, to each his own.[/QUOTE]

I would never call anyone a liar on something like this, but I've been buying disc-based media for a long time, and I've bought a ton of it. I've never had a disc break. Ever. How do you break a disc unless you are actually trying to?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would never call anyone a liar on something like this, but I've been buying disc-based media for a long time, and I've bought a ton of it. I've never had a disc break. Ever. How do you break a disc unless you are actually trying to?[/QUOTE]

The last disc I broke, I angrily threw like a frisbee into a wall and it shattered. I can't believe they're so flimsy!

Actually, I'll take back what I said. I did break a CD once. It was lying on my bed, and I dropped down on it by accident. I definitely never had a case break a disc, though, and that includes some of these Steelbooks that have those awful disc holders.

REALLY interested in the Bright Falls bonus pack for the cool theme, anyone know how they're giving those out? Only wit the Collector's edition, preorder or??

Anyone find any deals on this yet?
I missed out on the Gamestop 10 dollar off someone just posted.
There has to be something similar somewhere

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would never call anyone a liar on something like this, but I've been buying disc-based media for a long time, and I've bought a ton of it. I've never had a disc break. Ever. How do you break a disc unless you are actually trying to?[/QUOTE]

Maybe its just me but I have a very hard time getting the game discs out of the center thing in a steel book for some reason. I never broke a disc but at times it seems like I might.

I used to put AOL CDs in the Microwave. They made sweet coasters.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Maybe its just me but I have a very hard time getting the game discs out of the center thing in a steel book for some reason. I never broke a disc but at times it seems like I might.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those Steelbooks are a bitch, especially the first time you take the discs out.

[quote name='Moltres423']REALLY interested in the Bright Falls bonus pack for the cool theme, anyone know how they're giving those out? Only wit the Collector's edition, preorder or??[/QUOTE]

Reposting for last page. I know one of you guys know.

Just to update, Gamestop.com now has the Bright Falls Bonus pack for both the regular edition and the CE, and Amazon just has the pack mentioned under the description of the CE.

[quote name='rainking187']Just to update, Gamestop.com now has the Bright Falls Bonus pack for both the regular edition and the CE, and Amazon just has the pack mentioned under the description of the CE.[/QUOTE]

It's DLC, so I suppose it wouldn't be too hard for Gamestop to print or e-mail codes to people who preorder. Still, it seems weird that they would take away the exclusivity of something that is a selling point for the CE.

[quote name='bojay1997']It's DLC, so I suppose it wouldn't be too hard for Gamestop to print or e-mail codes to people who preorder. Still, it seems weird that they would take away the exclusivity of something that is a selling point for the CE.[/QUOTE]

I don't really know if the Bright Falls Pack is the same as the DLC from the CE. It seems weird that they would make the preorder bonus for the CE something that's already in the CE, so I have to imagine there's at least some difference. Maybe a different shirt and theme exclusive to the CE or something.

I finally put in my preorder with Amazon after reading (here? and/or on the AW forum) that the listing was updating to explicitly state the Bright Falls bonus pack is included (DLC and all) I was hesitant to get it before due to different LCE descriptions on various websites (with Walmart seeming to have the most stuff listed etc etc) So now I just have to continue playing the waiting game and make sure I have the $80 available when the time comes. I hope it gets a bump up to release date delivery but seeing as it took so long to get released in the first place, an extra day or 2 won't ruin the experience.

bread's done
Back