Alan Wake (Limited Collector's Edition) - $79.99

RBH

CAGiversary!
0088537008528500x500.jpg

alanwakespecialedition.jpg

Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The pack will include:

• Game Disc in box with unique art
  • Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
  • “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
  • Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
  • Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
  • Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
Preorder to receive the Bright Falls Bonus Pack, which includes exclusive content like Avatar gear, an Xbox LIVE theme, and a “making of” video.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002I0JFN8/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alan-Wake-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/13313721

Release date is set for May 18th:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177916

4351033346_e06f4955ac.jpg

4351033116_8348b1af57_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i would change my preorder to amazon, but if they don't get the same pre-order bonus as walmart, then ill stick with them (even tho i HATE walmart)

Placed my order. I'm hoping that Amazon will make this a release day delivery game, and get me that pre-order bonus. But usually pre-order bonuses are crap, and it would have to be a great deal to get me to go to Walmart. Man, I hate that place. I even hate their website.

But this does seem like a great deal with the bonus hint track and free DLC. Not to mention that the packaging looks neat.

[quote name='gunm']http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Limi...6340624&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, gunm.

[quote name='Cursor']Placed my order. I'm hoping that Amazon will make this a release day delivery game, and get me that pre-order bonus. But usually pre-order bonuses are crap, and it would have to be a great deal to get me to go to Walmart. Man, I hate that place. I even hate their website.

But this does seem like a great deal with the bonus hint track and free DLC. Not to mention that the packaging looks neat.[/QUOTE]

Hoping for amazon to come thru on the bonuses as well.

Looks like the worthwhile bonuses are included in the actual game so you can buy it anywhere. Ordered from NewEgg with free 3 day shipping and no tax (Amazon charges me tax).

It looks fun and interesting. Less gorey version of Resident Evil maybe? I wonder if there will be a demo before release?

[quote name='sliknik27']Don't care. Will buy and enjoy good games regardless of the politics behind them.[/QUOTE]
Yup yup. I hate how PC gamers love to boycott anything they can. Looks to be a great game and I am not going to miss out on it. Also anyone that writes Microsoft as M$ loses any of my interest for their posts.

Alan Wake is looking amazing, can't wait to play it

[quote name='shrike4242']They fixed it so there's no PC version showing up either one now.[/QUOTE]
I still proudly have my PC pre-order though!

BB now has the LE for pre-order as well (albeit with no picture.) I may stop by my local BB on the way home from school to see if they've got the pre-order bonus. My local BB has a bad habit of never putting out/selling a game on the date it's released, but they can cram the shelves full of those damn cardboard pre-order boxes. >_

Is there any better shots of the packaging or anything? I'm really digging this LE but I can't stand it when LE games come with anything less than a normal case. Obviously there is no steelbook or anything or they would have said so somewhere, but I just don't want a crappy cardboard sleeve like Mass Effect of Gears of War came in.

Cool special edition, but I am not that interested in the game. But then again, my opinion will probably change when I am sitting in May with nothing else to play.

Depends on the game. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age were unavailable almost everywhere a least a month before release and then, at least in Dragon Age's case, a week or two later Amazon had a shitload of them. I wouldn't worry too much if you order from Amazon though. They don't charge until it ships anyway.

i remember when stuff like commentary, soundtracks, and other little things were given in CEs without asking for more money but simply as a thank you for pre-ordering. $20 more for that isnt a "deal", its a ripoff. Now a-days one of the biggest reasons you pre-order a game is so you can play a beta [demo]. Totally screwy.

as the game industry gets bigger it only gets more greedy. Bit sad.

[quote name='graf1k']Is there any better shots of the packaging or anything? I'm really digging this LE but I can't stand it when LE games come with anything less than a normal case. Obviously there is no steelbook or anything or they would have said so somewhere, but I just don't want a crappy cardboard sleeve like Mass Effect of Gears of War came in.[/QUOTE]

My sentiment exactly. I'm also not sure I can justify what's essentially 30 more dollars (after you factor in the $10 credit on the regular edition). I certainly won't go for it if it's in a sleeve.

Think I'll be getting this as well. All the previews that hit the web a few days ago look great. The game looks stunning and a true unique experience, as far as gaming is concerned.

I wish more gamers thought like you and could see the writing on the wall.

[quote name='qwerty1']i remember when stuff like commentary, soundtracks, and other little things were given in CEs without asking for more money but simply as a thank you for pre-ordering. $20 more for that isnt a "deal", its a ripoff. Now a-days one of the biggest reasons you pre-order a game is so you can play a beta [demo]. Totally screwy.

as the game industry gets bigger it only gets more greedy. Bit sad.[/QUOTE]

That's what every consumer says. You make out every company to be greedy bastards just in it for the money. Newsflash, yes they need to make money to survive, but prices and policies change.

Look at the difference in developer size for a high level ps2 game compared to something now(FFXIII had 300 people?), I don't doubt that 60$ price tag is doing very very little to offset the actual development costs.

If you guys want your free CE stuff, go get agarest war. I would be EXTREMELY thankful and humbled if any developer were to give out this CE set at regular price.

[quote name='qwerty1']i remember when stuff like commentary, soundtracks, and other little things were given in CEs without asking for more money but simply as a thank you for pre-ordering. $20 more for that isnt a "deal", its a ripoff. Now a-days one of the biggest reasons you pre-order a game is so you can play a beta [demo]. Totally screwy.

as the game industry gets bigger it only gets more greedy. Bit sad.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but if you're going to stand up on your soapbox, you need to find a better game to make an example of. It's not $20 for a few extras. Besides the general stuff, like commentary and soundtrack, you're getting a token for the first DLC (which one would assume is gonna cost $5 or $10) and a 144-page book. Someone actually had to sit down and write that stuff. It didn't magically appear out of anywhere.

Also, as the industry gets "greedier," it also produces better products. I'd much rather buy a product off someone looking to make money than someone who is just throwing some shit together for laughs. Who do you think would make a better game, assuming the budgets were the same: a developer working for EA or a bunch guys in their basement?

oh man I really want to get this wish it had a $10 credit like the regular edition does. I might just pre-order it and hope it gets it. Game looks awesome, the type of horror/action game I have been wanting to play for a while

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']oh man I really want to get this wish it had a $10 credit like the regular edition does. I might just pre-order it and hope it gets it. Game looks awesome, the type of horror/action game I have been wanting to play for a while[/QUOTE]

Don't bet on it, pretty much all of the CE's I've seen for sale in the past 6 months have not when the regular editions have.

This game looks pretty cool... hmm... tempting...
But it won't be out until May. I guess I still have some time to think about it.

[quote name='Vortextk']Don't bet on it, pretty much all of the CE's I've seen for sale in the past 6 months have not when the regular editions have.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know, but a man can dream cant he? lol. I will probably just end up buying it since it will still be cheaper than getting it from any other store with free-shipping and no tax and hell might as well order it now since I am on my Prime trial to get release day delivery

[quote name='RBH']
alanwakespecialedition.jpg

Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The pack will include:

• Game Disc in box with unique art
  • Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
  • “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
  • Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
  • Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
  • Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
[/QUOTE]

If you look at the picture of the CE in the OP, and then read the description below, it seems like there are more things shown than are in the list? Look at the list and try to match up what's in the picture.

• Game disc in box (leftmost disc, left item in center stack)
  • Exclusive in-game audio commentary (included in the game disc?)
  • Alan Wake Files 144pg book (top of center stack)
  • Audio Disc (seen on right side)
  • Add-on Token (not shown, probably a code scratch-off in the game DVD box?)
  • Exclusive disc with special content (seen on right side)
If you keep track, what is the item on the right side of the center stack? It looks kind of like a book, but the Alan Wake Files book is clearly shown as the center item in the stack. Is it something else? A case to hold the extra 2 discs (soundtrack and bonus disc)? I can't really tell. Presumably all of the stuff fits inside that book-looking case in the upper right, which in turn gets sleeved as shown in the upper left. But what is that booklet looking thing on the right side of the center stack?

I've spoilered in a piece of the OP so you don't have to flip back to pg.1 to look at the picture, but to keep the thread space wastage down.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']If you look at the picture of the CE in the OP, and then read the description below, it seems like there are more things shown than are in the list? Look at the list and try to match up what's in the picture.

• Game disc in box (leftmost disc, left item in center stack)
  • Exclusive in-game audio commentary (included in the game disc?)
  • Alan Wake Files 144pg book (top of center stack)
  • Audio Disc (seen on right side)
  • Add-on Token (not shown, probably a code scratch-off in the game DVD box?)
  • Exclusive disc with special content (seen on right side)
If you keep track, what is the item on the right side of the center stack? It looks kind of like a book, but the Alan Wake Files book is clearly shown as the center item in the stack. Is it something else? A case to hold the extra 2 discs (soundtrack and bonus disc)? I can't really tell. Presumably all of the stuff fits inside that book-looking case in the upper right, which in turn gets sleeved as shown in the upper left. But what is that booklet looking thing on the right side of the center stack?

I've spoilered in a piece of the OP so you don't have to flip back to pg.1 to look at the picture, but to keep the thread space wastage down.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, now that you mention it, looking at the way it's laid out I wonder if it's possible that the thing on the right could be some sort of case for the two bonus discs. I hope that's what it is now, I was worried about them using one of those terrible three disc cases.

[quote name='rainking187']Oh wow, now that you mention it, looking at the way it's laid out I wonder if it's possible that the thing on the right could be some sort of case for the two bonus discs. I hope that's what it is now, I was worried about them using one of those terrible three disc cases.[/QUOTE]
That would be nice but if you look at the side of it, it's not a smooth edge like a DVD case. There's a bit of a gap between the top and bottom like the front and back cover of a hardcover book. Then again it could just be a nice case for the other two discs instead of a regular DVD case.

[quote name='kipz']That would be nice but if you look at the side of it, it's not a smooth edge like a DVD case. There's a bit of a gap between the top and bottom like the front and back cover of a hardcover book. Then again it could just be a nice case for the other two discs instead of a regular DVD case.[/QUOTE]

Could be like the case from the Mass Effect LE.

[quote name='Vortextk']That's what every consumer says. You make out every company to be greedy bastards just in it for the money. Newsflash, yes they need to make money to survive, but prices and policies change.

Look at the difference in developer size for a high level ps2 game compared to something now(FFXIII had 300 people?), I don't doubt that 60$ price tag is doing very very little to offset the actual development costs.[/QUOTE]

They arent giving you anything extra for your money, you're paying quite a bit extra for it, thats the point. If they slapped "CE" on it and included a bag of shit with it and increased the price would you think that was a good deal?

Once upon a time commentary was done for fun. See UT3, see the free coast level for HL2. Many movies on home video include this feature as well, they dont charge another 40% for it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Sorry, but if you're going to stand up on your soapbox, you need to find a better game to make an example of. It's not $20 for a few extras. Besides the general stuff, like commentary and soundtrack, you're getting a token for the first DLC (which one would assume is gonna cost $5 or $10) and a 144-page book. Someone actually had to sit down and write that stuff. It didn't magically appear out of anywhere.

Also, as the industry gets "greedier," it also produces better products. I'd much rather buy a product off someone looking to make money than someone who is just throwing some shit together for laughs. Who do you think would make a better game, assuming the budgets were the same: a developer working for EA or a bunch guys in their basement?[/QUOTE]

DLC that probably should of been included in the first place. Dont get me started on that rediculous ploy that started this gen. GTA IV had DLC, FO3 had DLC, AC2 didnt have DLC, and this most likely wont be much more than some silly cut levels entitled the "lost chapters" that add an hour of gameplay. If i'm proven wrong, fantastic.

As far as the book, please. First, most gamers dont have the patience to sit down in a chair and read a book. Second, i can run to your walmart, costco, BJs etc..and purchase a full fledged 300-700 page novel for 4-8 bucks, and they still make a profit on it. So nope, that doesnt quite cut it.

Games today look prettier and thats where all the extra development goes these days, it has nothing to do with quality. There are a truckload of far older titles that set the bar for many of the games that are released to this very day.

But who am i to judge. If you think getting a commentary disc, a token for a little extra gameplay, and a B-grade paperback short story for $20 extra is a good deal, go for it, but you're absolutely ignorant to what was done in the past! I'll just continue to wonder where standards have went.

Mostly i just miss when people who pre-ordered were thanked rather than wallet raped. But if they can find people dumb enough to buy something, they'll keep doing it, right?

/steps down from "soap box"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='qwerty1']They arent giving you anything extra for your money, you're paying quite a bit extra for it, thats the point. If they slapped "CE" on it and included a bag of shit with it and increased the price would you think that was a good deal?

Once upon a time commentary was done for fun. See UT3, see the free coast level for HL2. Many movies on home video include this feature as well, they dont charge another 40% for it.

DLC that probably should of been included in the first place. Dont get me started on that rediculous ploy that started this gen. GTA IV had DLC, FO3 had DLC, AC2 didnt have DLC, and this most likely wont be much more than some silly cut levels entitled the "lost chapters" that add an hour of gameplay. If i'm proven wrong, fantastic.
[/QUOTE]

I thought AC2 had DLC?

And I just CE stuff because of the extras, and I usually catch a deal on my stuff.

[quote name='qwerty1']They arent giving you anything extra for your money, you're paying quite a bit extra for it, thats the point. If they slapped "CE" on it and included a bag of shit with it and increased the price would you think that was a good deal?
[/QUOTE]

No, I wouldn't. What kind of fucking moron would? How is that even a point?

You got it right in your first sentence. I'm PAYING extra to GET extra. The fuck is there to understand?

[quote name='qwerty1']

/steps down from "soap box"[/QUOTE]

The GTAIV and FO3 DLC added much gameplay, do you honestly think they had it in some sort of basement waiting to release it months after the games release? Do you expect them to just keep pushing back a title until they've run out of all their ideas for the game? We'd have another Duke Nukem Forever going.

Also, I agree if the DLC is LAUNCH DLC. That is just bullshit.

bread's done
Back