Alpha Protocol $44.99 , Prince of Persia $39.99 at Kmart - KmartGamer.com

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Sneak Peak:

I've received a surprising amount of requests for what my offer will be on Alpha Protocol. I confirmed that I would release it today and of course I'm running later than I want. I need to hire a blogger!!!

Similar to when we released Just Cause 2, Alpha Protocol (360/PS3) will be $44.99 for release week.

I will also be discounting Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (360/PS3) to $39.99 beginning this Sunday.

I'll post when the blog on KmartGamer.com goes up. Help spread the word!!!

Deals are in-store only at the moment, if Alpha Protocol goes live for .com I'll update the thread.

I keep hoping this will be one of those things I actually really enjoy despite iffy reviews. It's certainly happened enough times before.

The game is good if you care about story, characters, and the RPG aspect. But if you only care about production values and graphics, then this game isn't for you.

It seems fine in screen shots to me...and if the story is good, that's awesome-that's what I want from it, along with Mass Effect style gameplay. That one low review claimed the story wasn't any good, but...

So PoP isn't in the weekly ad for $39.99 for PS3. It does show up online however. Is this going to be an online only thing then afterall?

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']So PoP isn't in the weekly ad for $39.99 for PS3. It does show up online however. Is this going to be an online only thing then afterall?[/QUOTE]

No I picked it up in store here in NW Ohio. It was already in the system (I got it for PS3).

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']So PoP isn't in the weekly ad for $39.99 for PS3. It does show up online however. Is this going to be an online only thing then afterall?[/QUOTE]

PoP was never going to be in the ad, IIRC.

But yea, the price is good in store, confirmed it today.

Alpha Protocol's shooting is horrible if you use pistols at all...headshots do not register...I had a chance to play it this weekend, and I was very disappointed, I had really been looking forward to it, but the shooting is just plain broken...

Alpha Protocol sounds like it's shaped up to be a decent game. Sold out on the website, no big deal. Just have to stop at K-mart Tuesday and Wednesday and hope to snag one. Thanks for the info SHC.

[quote name='rvdrock']Alpha Protocol's shooting is horrible if you use pistols at all...headshots do not register...I had a chance to play it this weekend, and I was very disappointed, I had really been looking forward to it, but the shooting is just plain broken...[/QUOTE]

What I've been hearing is stick to assault rifles, level them up and the shooting gets better.

[quote name='animalspinners']I'd get Prince of Persia but I'm not going to touch it until Ubisoft fixes the game breaking glitch at the end of the game.[/QUOTE]

I've platinumed it on PS3 (80 gig original model), and experienced no problems anywhere in the game. Not sure why you're so paranoid.

[quote name='xilly']I've platinumed it on PS3 (80 gig original model), and experienced no problems anywhere in the game. Not sure why you're so paranoid.[/QUOTE]

Uh... it has nothing to do with being paranoid.

http://kotaku.com/5541669/beware-this-ruinous-prince-of-persia-glitch-%5Bspoilers%5D

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/new...-Glitch---Here-s-the-Fix-[Spoiler-Alert].html

It's a pretty well documented glitch, I guess you just didn't die in that spot. It looks like Ubisoft have put out a workaround that only makes you suffer a "minimal" loss of progress.

[quote name='rvdrock']Alpha Protocol's shooting is horrible if you use pistols at all...headshots do not register...I had a chance to play it this weekend, and I was very disappointed, I had really been looking forward to it, but the shooting is just plain broken...[/QUOTE]

It's not broken, all that is based on stats.

Basically dice rolls, you have to level those skills up.

That sounds like Mass Effect 1, right? And that's what I've been expecting/hoping for from Alpha Protocol, soooo...

[quote name='animalspinners']Uh... it has nothing to do with being paranoid.

http://kotaku.com/5541669/beware-this-ruinous-prince-of-persia-glitch-[spoilers]

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/new...-Glitch---Here-s-the-Fix-[Spoiler-Alert].html

It's a pretty well documented glitch, I guess you just didn't die in that spot. It looks like Ubisoft have put out a workaround that only makes you suffer a "minimal" loss of progress.[/QUOTE]

Touche, but why would he die there anyway? The game is very easy, and you wind up with way more energy than you'll ever need (because the only abilities worth using are stone armor and whirlwind, which means he should have had plenty of energy for time rewinds, unless he was just trying to blow through the game and not explore anything or break vases for energy/health. That said, it only took me like 8 hours to platinum it and that was taking time to bust up every vase/box/breakable item for health and stuff. Besides that, the only difficult jumps to make are the ones where you've gotta use flow.

Thanks for this! Im cancelling my Gamestop preorder for this deal. Question: Will the game be instock on release day? I tried calling KMARTS in the past for games but Ive counted being on hold for more then 10 minutes! Im on vacation and would like to play it whilst being off. :cool:

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']One day (maybe even a couple years from now), that will all be in the past. We'll all look back at this time as the birth of a gaming giant. Melodramatic.....yep...gonna happen...........yep.[/QUOTE]

My Local Target got rid of the Glass Cases a couple of weeks ago. Hope Kmart is next on that list.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That sounds like Mass Effect 1, right? And that's what I've been expecting/hoping for from Alpha Protocol, soooo...[/QUOTE]

It's basically the difference between dog shit and fudge: They both look the same from a distance, but taste oh so differently.

I watched a guy play this for about 2-3 hours. At first, he seemed to enjoy it and liked the custom character aspects. By the end, he switched on his webcam, picked up some scissors, and scratched the ever living hell out of his game disc in frustration. I wasn't impressed at all either and cancelled my pre-order right after watching a second play through online. It will hit bargain bin status in 3 months, mark my words...

[quote name='Pck21']It's basically the difference between dog shit and fudge: They both look the same from a distance, but taste oh so differently.

I watched a guy play this for about 2-3 hours. At first, he seemed to enjoy it and liked the custom character aspects. By the end, he switched on his webcam, picked up some scissors, and scratched the ever living hell out of his game disc in frustration. I wasn't impressed at all either and cancelled my pre-order right after watching a second play through online. It will hit bargain bin status in 3 months, mark my words...[/QUOTE]

I saw that stream. The dude was terrible, he was trying to run and gun with weapons that he didn't even have any skill points assigned to.

This is more a thinking mans game. You can't just run and gun through levels without doing some serious upgrading.

On it's surface it looks like Mass Effect, but it's really just a old school RPG with a really good story and a great system in which your decisions effect the outcome.

The roll of the die determining whether or not you hit is easier to live with in games like Baldur's Gate where you aren't actually aiming your weapon at an enemy. Just selecting which one you want to attack while your character swings away. I think any game that involves shooting should be based on player skill with character upgrades giving you health boosts, extra abilities etc. The actual shooting should be shouldn't be affected by your stats IMO. Mass Effect 2 did it perfectly. I'm still going to give AP a shot but I think Obsidian could have saved themselves a lot of grief by having the shooting based on skill.

[quote name='Killbomb']The actual shooting should be shouldn't be affected by your stats IMO. Mass Effect 2 did it perfectly.[/QUOTE]

No, it didn't. If I wanted to play Gears of War, I would have fucking played Gears of fucking War. Mass Effect 2 was decent, but the combat was bastardized and dumbed down from the actual challenging combat of Mass Effect 1.

I think people are just having an issue with this game because it's NOT a run and gun "zomg i pwn at headshotz@!!@@1222@@!!" kind of game. D&D ruleset doesn't bother me at all, whether it's shooting or swinging a blade.. it's RPG style at it's best. You could argue that same point vs WoW with a Hunter's Rifle. It works the same fucking way.

Does anyone know if it's possible to price match this deal for Alpha Protocol at Bestbuy since it doesn't show up in the K-mart flyer and is only on the website.

[quote name='bigloser']Will Kmart have the game today?[/QUOTE]

Will any of my local KMarts actually honor the deal without a hour long wait and/or an email from SHC? (FF XIII....)

Sorry KMart, I'm not wasting my time again.

I have had my eye on Alpha Protocol for some time now. Although a nice price for a new release, the mixed reviews and things I have been hearing are making me want to wait a couple months for a sub $30 price point.

And I love me a PoP game, but it IS a ubisoft game, and we all know how quickly those drop in price. I picked up the last PoP game (cell shaded one) for $20 new about 6 months after it released and loved it. I would have been dissapointed if I had paid more , though.

Mass Effect 2 was decent, but the combat was bastardized and dumbed down from the actual challenging combat of Mass Effect 1

Annoying and Tedious at times? Yes. Challenging? No. ME2 was a drastic improvement over ME1, combat wise. In fact, as someone who played through ME1 several times and capped out achievements, I would say that the combat was definitely the worst aspect of ME1.

[quote name='viernes3am5']Does anyone know if it's possible to price match this deal for Alpha Protocol at Bestbuy since it doesn't show up in the K-mart flyer and is only on the website.[/QUOTE]

YMMV depending on the staff of the Best Buy. They will either:

1. Do it no questions asked
2. Do it only if a KMart is close and call to confirm stock
3. Deny you flat out because "they don't honor web prices, it's not in their flyer, our offer is different than theirs, etc."

It's really tempting to do that as BB is only one of two places with pre-order/first week game content (free DLC) but I'm going to support what SHC is doing and get it at KMart since I hadn't bought any of the previous KMart sale games either because of lack of interest, already had, or too big a backlog to worry about. This is an exception as I've been waiting 2 years for this game.

But if I run into any kind of problems tonight I'm going straight down the street to Best Buy to get it for $45 plus the Stealth Weapons pack.

Will Kmart have the game today?

I called the two nearest and me and they did not. I did sign up for a email reminder on my storm 2 for when it was in stock and I got one early this morning..but its online only. I wish they had a store inventory function.

So either can pick it up today with my preorder or take a chance and wait and lose my bonuses. :drool:

[quote name='TehTriggerman']So either can pick it up today with my preorder or take a chance and wait and lose my bonuses. :drool:[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand why people use the "drool" smiley in situations like this. It makes no sense.

I thought K-Mart would have the game today.. could've sworn it was street dated! Oh well.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']I called the two nearest and me and they did not. I did sign up for a email reminder on my storm 2 for when it was in stock and I got one early this morning..but its online only. I wish they had a store inventory function.

So either can pick it up today with my preorder or take a chance and wait and lose my bonuses. :drool:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take this as indication they have the game or not... at my local K-Mart, they NEVER put the games out on release day when they are street dated. If I were to call, they would look at the case, tell me "No we don't have it" and hang up because they won't check the stock room. The last two times I went in for a street dated game they tried to tell me they didn't have it until I got them to check the stock room.

I'm going to wait until later tonight to go down there, give them a chance to put it out. It could be the same at your local K-Mart, it's in the back, and they have no idea.

Maybe SHC or an associate will pop in and tell us if its street dated or not.

niceass4x.jpg

I still don't understand why people use the "drool" smiley in situations like this. It makes no sense.
Is that better smartass? lol.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Wohoo! Just picked up the game, price matched my pre-ordered version at Best Buy, so I got the game for $45 and still got the bonus Stealth Pack for pre-ordering.

I just showed them a printed out copy of the price from the KMART website.

[quote name='viernes3am5']Does anyone know if it's possible to price match this deal for Alpha Protocol at Bestbuy since it doesn't show up in the K-mart flyer and is only on the website.[/QUOTE]

Do what I did for other blog sales. Print out the webpage, go to kmart and buy the game. Take it in with you receipt and all to BB. Tell them that Kmart is having a sale on the game and you don't want to give your business to them unless you have to. Tell them you're a BB loyalist and would rather give them your money. However, you want this game and a good deal is a good deal. If they say no, great. You'll keep the game. If they say yes, you'll gladly go and return the game to kmart and buy it right then and now from BB. It would help if you were a "silver" member. If you're successful, come back and thank me and that kmart guy for the awesome game you just scored.

Oh, if you're successful, ask them if for other similiar deals, if it will be necessary for you to buy the game first as proof, or can you just come here with the print out. If they insist on calling kmart and inquiring about the deal. You might get hosed because the typical employee will just say whatever the game is priced at and most likely won't know about the sale and give you the full price quote on the phone. Sucks. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xilly']No, it didn't. If I wanted to play Gears of War, I would have fucking played Gears of fucking War. Mass Effect 2 was decent, but the combat was bastardized and dumbed down from the actual challenging combat of Mass Effect 1.[/QUOTE]

My main point is that location specific damage based on player skill should be in EVERY game that involves shooting as far as I'm concerned. Challenge shouldn't be based on inferior shooting mechanics. I think ME2 is plenty challenging on Insanity as well.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']Wohoo! Just picked up the game, price matched my pre-ordered version at Best Buy, so I got the game for $45 and still got the bonus Stealth Pack for pre-ordering.

I just showed them a printed out copy of the price from the KMART website.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. My Kmarts are pretty good about having new games out but I'm going to print the Kmart price and take it just in case.

Went to the Bridgeton, MO K-Mart and AP was not in the case. Nobody was working in electronics so I looked around a bit to see if someone would show. After a few minutes, somebody came over but a customer looking for a camera got them first. They were taking forever and another person got in line behind them so I decided to try to PM at Best Buy down the street.

I brought printouts of the blog entry as well as the product listing from kmart.com. Took the game to customer service, asked if they would honor the price and they did. The guy called a manager for an override who looked at the printouts then went ahead and okayed it.

I'm all for supporting SHC and his efforts and I have done so in the past but new release games should be in the case by 2:30 PM.

[quote name='SadExchange82']I'm supposing this doesn't work with the pc version?[/QUOTE]

No as KMart doesn't do PC games.

I'll see if I have any better luck at the South St. Louis County KMart tonight.

[quote name='bigloser']Will Kmart have the game today?[/QUOTE]
All Kmart stores are reporting received stock or have Proof of Delivery confirmations on file.

[quote name='animalspinners']I wouldn't take this as indication they have the game or not... at my local K-Mart, they NEVER put the games out on release day when they are street dated. If I were to call, they would look at the case, tell me "No we don't have it" and hang up because they won't check the stock room. The last two times I went in for a street dated game they tried to tell me they didn't have it until I got them to check the stock room.

I'm going to wait until later tonight to go down there, give them a chance to put it out. It could be the same at your local K-Mart, it's in the back, and they have no idea.

Maybe SHC or an associate will pop in and tell us if its street dated or not.[/QUOTE]
Alpha Protocol is street dated for today and our inventory team has confirmed all Kmart stores showing received the game. It is communicated to all stores as a street release but individual store receiving personnel schedules do not always accommodate early morning receipts and replenishment.

I was just at Kmart trying to buy Alpha Protocol and there was absolutely no one around to help. I looked around and still couldn't find anyone so I left.

Guess I'll just go price match at Best Buy. Sorry SHC, I tried...

[quote name='Killbomb']Went to the Bridgeton, MO K-Mart and AP was not in the case. Nobody was working in electronics so I looked around a bit to see if someone would show. After a few minutes, somebody came over but a customer looking for a camera got them first. They were taking forever and another person got in line behind them so I decided to try to PM at Best Buy down the street.

I brought printouts of the blog entry as well as the product listing from kmart.com. Took the game to customer service, asked if they would honor the price and they did. The guy called a manager for an override who looked at the printouts then went ahead and okayed it.

I'm all for supporting SHC and his efforts and I have done so in the past but new release games should be in the case by 2:30 PM.[/QUOTE]
Just want to empathize - we agree that games should be out on street date (preferably first thing in the morning). I did contact the Bridgeton store, regrettably too late to help you out, but was told that the replenishment team was not in until 3:30 to stock the floor but that the game is now out on display. Rest assured we are working on enhancing communication in order to increase the sense of urgency for our stores. Although we apologize that we were not able to assist you when shopping, we appreciate the feedback as I am hoping my call to the store manager with your experience is a step in the right direction to increase the stores awareness of the gaming customer's mentality and sense of urgency. Thanks for the feedback.

[quote name='SHC Game Guy']Just want to empathize - we agree that games should be out on street date (preferably first thing in the morning). I did contact the Bridgeton store, regrettably too late to help you out, but was told that the replenishment team was not in until 3:30 to stock the floor but that the game is now out on display. Rest assured we are working on enhancing communication in order to increase the sense of urgency for our stores. Although we apologize that we were not able to assist you when shopping, we appreciate the feedback as I am hoping my call to the store manager with your experience is a step in the right direction to increase the stores awareness of the gaming customer's mentality and sense of urgency. Thanks for the feedback.[/QUOTE]

More than one Kmart rep now? :hot:

i ended up going to best buy and having them PM this deal and got both games...
havent opened either one yet im a little scared for alpha protocol. reviews r meh, rpg gamer said its awesome tho so ill be keeping it most likely

[quote name='SHC Game Guy']Just want to empathize - we agree that games should be out on street date (preferably first thing in the morning). I did contact the Bridgeton store, regrettably too late to help you out, but was told that the replenishment team was not in until 3:30 to stock the floor but that the game is now out on display. Rest assured we are working on enhancing communication in order to increase the sense of urgency for our stores. Although we apologize that we were not able to assist you when shopping, we appreciate the feedback as I am hoping my call to the store manager with your experience is a step in the right direction to increase the stores awareness of the gaming customer's mentality and sense of urgency. Thanks for the feedback.[/QUOTE]

My experiences with Kmart have been pretty good since you guys starting trying to push game sales a few months ago. The guy that usually works electronics at the Bridgeton store seems to be up on things, has games out on time and will know what I'm talking about. Didn't see him there today though. But yeah, a lot of us are impatient and want a game ASAP on release day especially if there's a sale. I saw Alice in Wonderland on the shelves so I wondered why nobody stocked the new games while they were at it.

[quote name='SHC Game Guy']Alpha Protocol is street dated for today and our inventory team has confirmed all Kmart stores showing received the game. It is communicated to all stores as a street release but individual store receiving personnel schedules do not always accommodate early morning receipts and replenishment.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way you, or SHC, or someone can contact my local store and find out why they don't have this for 360?

I just went there, a day AFTER release, to find it still wasn't in the case... had to ask for it, the employee goes to look in the back, and tells me they only received Alpha Protocol for PS3 and aren't expecting any 360 copies.

I don't even know where to start with the number of errors in that paragraph, other than the most glaring being that they still haven't stocked a new release an entire day after it was out... especially an advertised one.

The local store is -

Kmart
5400 E Busch BLVD
Tampa, FL 33617

This is the third time I've had problems at this store on new release product... and to be honest, I'd go price match it this time, but I have one of those $15 gaming coupons I wanted to use that also has the disclaimer of only being usable at this store!! And also expires in a week.

I know the store employees have nothing to do with you guys, but damn if I'm not sick of K-Mart rewarding laziness and ignorance in this department.

bread's done
Back