Am I in the wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayee6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I decided to post this thread to ask you guys what you guys think about this.

I posted this on my CAG blog last night and a log of people since then had told me that I was a douche for doing what I did (or didn't do) and other people telling me it was fine. So tell me, what do you guys think.

I know technically, this isn't game related, but instead of it being a blu-ray, pretend it's a game. What would you guys would have done.

So here's the story of what happened to me last night:

So today I went to my local Futureshop (similar to BestBuy) to pick up some Christmas gifts for some friends and to also pick up The Dark Knight Blu-Ray for myself.

Here are the movies I got:

So when I go to pay, I noticed that the cashier had spread out all the movies out on the counter and started to ring in the movies one at a time. At the same time, he was also helping out the cashier in training beside him. So as he was ringing in the movies, and training this new guy, he actually missed and did not ring in the Dark Knight movie.

I was so happy when I found out this had happened. While I was paying, I was thinking to myself, "please don't let the cashier find out, please don't let the cashier find out." When I exited the store and reached the parking lot, I was like "SWEET, I JUST GOT THE DARK KNIGHT ON BLU-RAY FOR FREE."

All in all, I payed $92, when it should have been around $125. About 25% off.

Not a very exciting story, but that made my day for sure. Free movie and BATMAN!!

Reading over your story, I've reached the following conclusion:

You stole.
You're a douche for thinking that getting away with theft makes it O.K.

Whether or not you choose to take the movie(s) back and correct this, I don't particularly care since you only asked about the initial situation. But I will say this:

A bigger man would've done the right thing when the time came.

~HotShotX

You are completely in the wrong.

The part that gets me is you were all excited he missed it and rushed out the store.

Even if you didn't have the intent to steal it, you purposefully did. Then you brag about stealing it...

Since you noticed the guy make the mistake, you should have corrected it. I don't think it's a "we forget to ring you up and your purchase is free!" kind of deal.

I know the guys who are supposed to check receipts at the door never actually look at what's on there, but what would you tell one if he did and noticed you had an extra item in your bag? That the cashier forgot to scan it so it's on the house?

Don't worry - if enough people tell you that you are wrong here, you can always make another blog or thread about it! As they say, the third time is the charm.

[quote name='rayee6']I wasn't bragging, I was just blogging what had happened.[/quote]

"SWEET, I JUST GOT THE DARK KNIGHT ON BLU-RAY FOR FREE."

[quote name='CouRageouS']Uhh you noticed something and didn't say anything. That's proof that the terrorists are winning.[/quote]

ROFL at CouRageous.:applause:

Like I said in your blog, you stole plain and simple. The fact that you knew about his mistake as it happened and let it happen is considered stealing under every pretense of the law.

I actually have had cashiers do the same to me, and every time I pointed out their mistake because that is the right thing to do.

Yes, cashiers make mistakes. Yes, their mistakes aren't always your fault. However, knowing well and good of the mistake during the act does put you at shared fault. It is completely different when you get home and realize that he made a mistake. when you attempt a business transaction, you are making an agreement of trust with the other party. I guess a good barometer is if a security guard was checking receipts at the door. Would you tell the guard, "The cashier forgot to scan it, so it's mine."?

But it's whatever. I've changed my stance on whether you should go back. However, you should feel bad about what you did.

Well, if you didn't notice it until you got home, you wouldn't be in the wrong. But since you noticed it as the cashier was ringing you up, you probably have some fault in this. But hey, I'm pretty sure most people would do what you did anyway. I mean $30 is a lot especially with our economy like it is.

Basically, do what you feel is right and don't let anyone influence your decision in the end. I think you should just send it to me if you feel bad.

Once, while browsing the games at GS, I found a case for Eternal Sonata that had the disc inside. I let the GS employee know what I had found (he didn't even say thanks). If I would have walked out with the game (easy to do), how would that have been any different than what you did?

To each his own... I guess.

[quote name='DrFoo']Walking out of a store with something you know you haven't paid for is pretty much the definition of theft.[/quote]

Agreed.

I've had this happen to me twice before, though I didn't notice the error until I had gotten until the parking lot. As soon as I realized I hadn't paid for the item, I went right back it and pointed out there error and paid for the item.

You might as well just stick the movie in your pocket, hope no one saw it, and try scampering out of the store as fast as possible...it is the same thing. You know you didn't pay for something and you left the store...you're nothing more than a petty theif. That kind of action shows you have no morals on your part. You're not only hurting the store, but everyone else who makes purchases. When stores takes inventory, it will be counted as a stolen item, which pushes the overall price up for everyone. So thanks a lot for proving you're just another immoral CAG that can get added to my ban list.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']That kind of action shows you have no morals on your part.[/quote]

This I disagree with. This incident in no way says anything about the OP's life or morals other than that when given a small window of opportunity for selfish gain, he will be tempted into taking it.

For all you know, the guy volunteers at a homeless shelter several hours a week. So, let's keep things in perspective: He told us his story and asked if what he did was wrong in the given situation.

Try not to think too hard and pre-determine his entire life.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']This I disagree with. This incident in no way says anything about the OP's life or morals other than that when given a small window of opportunity for selfish gain, he will be tempted into taking it.

For all you know, the guy volunteers at a homeless shelter several hours a week. So, let's keep things in perspective: He told us his story and asked if what he did was wrong in the given situation.

Try not to think too hard and pre-determine his entire life.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

hmm. interesting, interesting.

And by the way. Not that it matters, I do volunteer; 4 hours a week as a matter of fact. lol.

Something like this happened to me in Black Friday, except to a much lesser extent.

I was in Circuit City out to buy the game-that-nobody-plays-but-is-still-fun Enemy Territory:Quake Wars and LifeRuiner/Simulator 2 Deluxe. I paid in cash of total for $10. When I got my games, I set both of them on this cart-like thing filled with some music CDs. I checked my change, got my games, and walked outside.

Then I made sure I had everything. "Enemy Territory...money...cellphone...Zune...The Sims 2...Motown Greatest Hits?"

I was like WTF. I must have picked it up accidentally as it was in the bottom of the pile. I hurriedly went back to the store and put the CD back. I was kinda scared as if what would happen if the alarm-thing went on when I went out with the CD.

Case in point:people make mistakes. It's sometimes required for us to correct them.

Afterthought:why did I accidentally get Motown. If it was something like Iron Maiden or something related album, I would've been more tempted (but my actions would have remained the same).

id have kept it but i wouldnt be bragging about it. whose to say one or more of those people dont come to this site?

I walked out with a free game from CC once, same deal, cashier forgot to ring it up.

It was fine until a couple of years later when CC stung me for $70. They pretty much stole it in the same way I did, not exactly on purpose but almost.

Always remember, Karma is a bitch.

I found an unlocked copy of 300 at my local video store and I took it up to the counter and gave it to the manager and he locked it up. I found an iPhone on a counter in a bank. I turned it in at customer service so they could return it to the guy. I found a cellphone on the side of the road and called the "home" number and got the guy to come pick it up. I found cellphone outside of my school and the guy who owned it texted me and said he'd give me $20. I told him to come upstairs to the classroom and I gave it back to him no charge. I found an iPod video underneath a couch at a hostel and turned it into reception.

My brand new iPod touch was stolen from my me while I was sleeping in my second week in New Zealand.

I wouldn't be too concerned about karma. I really think it's a load of horseshit.

[quote name='magiic']I found an unlocked copy of 300 at my local video store and I took it up to the counter and gave it to the manager and he locked it up. I found an iPhone on a counter in a bank. I turned it in at customer service so they could return it to the guy. I found a cellphone on the side of the road and called the "home" number and got the guy to come pick it up. I found cellphone outside of my school and the guy who owned it texted me and said he'd give me $20. I told him to come upstairs to the classroom and I gave it back to him no charge. I found an iPod video underneath a couch at a hostel and turned it into reception.

My brand new iPod touch was stolen from my me while I was sleeping in my second week in New Zealand.

I wouldn't be too concerned about karma. I really think it's a load of horseshit.[/quote]

:lol:

Maybe bad things happen to good people.

[quote name='magiic']I wouldn't be too concerned about karma. I really think it's a load of horseshit.[/quote]

Wow, I'd say so. You can't do that these days... Nobody has any respect anymore. Especially the younger kids because the parents (technically Kids themselves) don't teach what respect is since they weren't taught it either. I do have to say, you are probably doing a better job than me since I haven't had to return stuff. That or you live around some pretty brainless people.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wow, I'd say so. You can't do that these days... Nobody has any respect anymore. Especially the younger kids because the parents (technically Kids themselves) don't teach what respect is since they weren't taught it either. I do have to say, you are probably doing a better job than me since I haven't had to return stuff. That or you live around some pretty brainless people.[/QUOTE]

For whats it worth I am 18. This stuff has happened over the past two years.

I did something similar to what the OP did once.

See this one time, I was at McDonalds and I ordered my food. When I went up to get it (I was eating in of course) there was an extra double cheeseburger on the tray that I did not ask for nor pay for. Needless to say I took it and devoured it without saying anything.

Am I going to Hell?

I probably wouldn't have pointed it out either (probably wouldn't have noticed as I don't pay much attention at the checkout unless the total sounds too high etc.), but I wouldn't post a blog about it either.

Ive done something similar at my goodwill once.
They had 2 SNES controllers rubber banded together for $2.50 each.
Took off one sticker.
x2 SNES controllers for the price of one.

Now everyone attack me for my bastardness leave this other poor kid alone!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I probably wouldn't have pointed it out either (probably wouldn't have noticed as I don't pay much attention at the checkout unless the total sounds too high etc.), but I wouldn't post a blog about it either.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree here.

When it comes to these mistaken free items, people are going to argue both ways. In one hand, it's not your fault. In another, it's pretty much theft.

Same thing has happened to me, but I didn't notice until I had gotten home. Is it my responsibility to drive the 30 minutes back to the store to correct the cashier?

I know the store has taken its share of accidental overcharges from me and other customers...

Doesn't it all even out in the end?

It's my opinion that the right thing to do is go pay for that movie.

It's up to you if you want to do what I believe is right or not.

At least call them back and tell what happened and if they'd like you to come back and pay, do so, but it's their mistake, so they should discount you a few dollars for your time and gas.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I probably wouldn't have pointed it out either (probably wouldn't have noticed as I don't pay much attention at the checkout unless the total sounds too high etc.), but I wouldn't post a blog about it either.[/quote]

exactly why talk about something like this when you allready know what you are going to do, our "opinions" of right and wrong dont effect what you should or will do, in the end its up to you.you have to help yourself " live or die make your choice" (sorry just watched saw 4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah. I think you're an idiot for bragging about it (although you can certainly be allowed to be happy about it) but I don't find it inherently wrong to get a free item when it isn't your fault. No one's a saint.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy'] our "opinions" of right and wrong dont effect what you should or will do, in the end its up to you.[/quote]

Opinion?

The legal definition of theft is "A criminal act in which property belonging to another is taken without that person's consent."

Also, under the preconception of Reality of Consent with regards to contracts and agreements, "When one party knows that the other is negotiating with a mistaken assumption about an important fact, the party who knows of the error must correct it".

Under stare decisis, as this is a unilateral mistake, Donovan v RRL (2001) has set forth that in a unilateral mistake such as this one the "silent" party is actually at fault since the nonmistaken party knew of this error.

Either way, our "opinion" isn't relevant. Under all precepts of the law, this act is illegal and morally wrong.

At the very least. Call them and alert them you didn't pay for The Dark Knight Blu Ray becuase the cashier didn't ring it up. Don't give them information unless you want to turn it in. Just say they forgot, hanf up and they can makr down on the inventory that it wasn't a stolen item.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I didn't know the TDK blu-ray had such ugly cover art.[/quote]

The inside cover art is different, and it's totally awesome.

I was 14 when Windows 98 came out. I pre-ordered the upgrade from Staples. Yes, I'm a nerd.

I went in with my dad to pick it up, and the cashier tried to sell it to me without taking into account the pre-order deposit, despite my presenting her with the receipt. She ended up calling her manager for help. Not only did the manager point out the proper way to process a pre-order, but he also pointed out that she neglected to give me my pre-order bonuses: a stack of big box lame productivity software (Dragon Point & Speak, SoHo Home Office, McAfee AntiVirus, etc.)

In the end, though, she screwed up a third time, charging me a little over $1.00 instead of the $90+ that I owed. This is immediately after the manager was over telling her how to ring me up.

My dad and I took the bag and started to walk out the door. With a big grin on my face, I turned to him to say something, and he said, "Shush!" and pushed me out in the parking lot.

I've never felt guilty about that, be it technically theft or not. It won't be recorded as a stolen item because there's a record of the transaction. That Staples is still in business to this day, and similar incidents have happened maybe twice in my twenty-five-year existence, so it's safe to say I'm not running anybody into the ground.

But seriously, in an industry where publishers are making us pay $60 to rent a game for three installations, or shipping defective merchandise and charging us to replace it, or shutting down the multiplayer component of a cool game after 60 because it didn't sell as many copies as Halo 3... you take whatever handouts you can get. None of us (well, most of us) aren't actively running around trying to rip people off.

You really ought to just return to the store with the BD and explain what happened. Tell them you realized that the cashier forgot to ring it up, so you want to make it right. If they accuse you of stealing, point out that if you were a thief, you wouldn't walk back into the store to make things right.

Everyone is looking at the scenario and judging you based on what's already happened, as though the door is completely closed on the situation.

It's not too late to do the right thing. You can still make it right.

In the end, your integrity is worth more than 30 dollars.

Yeah it was kinda wrong but also the cashiers can sometimes be lazy and incompetent

Doesn't matter what others think how do you feel about it? Everyone has different morals

Some might say you got lucky
Others might say you stole

Either way it happened I've seen waaaaaaaaaaay worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back