Amazon - Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition Guide - $20.99 (40% off)

buckythekat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Collectors-Official/dp/076156246X/

Product Description

Lore: Learn the story leading up to this epic struggle that can't be found anywhere else.
Interviews: Step behind the scenes with revealing interviews with the development team.
Art: Our stunning art section showcases the best artwork Dragon Age has to offer.
Hard Cover: Rugged Hardcover edition for extra durability.
Guide: Includes the complete Dragon Age: Origins strategy guide.
Signed Cover: Signatures from the entire Dragon Age development team appear on the inside front and back cover to add to the custom Collector's look and feel.

408 pages long :shock:

damn good deal for anyone who wants to get this guide

of course the one time Amazon manages to send me a guide on time is when it drops in price later that day, but I've emailed them asking for a refund of the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kythegent']Is this PC only, or will it apply to the 360?[/QUOTE]

it's a strategy guide, it applies to all platforms the game is available on

[quote name='buckythekat']it's a strategy guide, it applies to all platforms the game is available on[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Bucky. I've always resorted to IGN guides or Gamesradar for the free stuff (we're CAGs, right?). However, this game is so expansive, I think it's worth the dip. Walking back to my computer every once and while for Fallout 3 wasn't a whole lot of fun.

niiice. thank you. Gonna have to email em about the price difference as well. Anyone else miss the good ol days of them automatically refunding the price from preorders? At least they're still awesome to do it when you contact them.

Wow, nice price. I've got too much to play right now, but I'm hoping for a BF deal on PC. Gonna have to pass for now.

[quote name='Zmonkay']niiice. thank you. Gonna have to email em about the price difference as well. Anyone else miss the good ol days of them automatically refunding the price from preorders? At least they're still awesome to do it when you contact them.[/QUOTE]

Have they not been automatically refunding you? I got a 50 cent or so automatic refund on a game recently (Uncharted 2 I think) without having to do a thing. Similarly, my Monsters Inc and Up blurays don't come out until next week, but I've seen their price change in my preorder several times as the prices has dropped.

That said, I'm going to take a screen shot of the current price and if they don't automatically credit me as it ships tonight.tomorrow, I'll email them.

I picked this up since this game seems slightly intimidating. I'll also be playing it sporadically so I'll probably need refreshers on where I am. This is only the second game I've purchased a guide to (first being Oblivion). Thanks for the info OP.

My Dragon Age: Origins CE actually shipped today from the EA store!

[quote name='Thrakker']Have they not been automatically refunding you? I got a 50 cent or so automatic refund on a game recently (Uncharted 2 I think) without having to do a thing. Similarly, my Monsters Inc and Up blurays don't come out until next week, but I've seen their price change in my preorder several times as the prices has dropped.

That said, I'm going to take a screen shot of the current price and if they don't automatically credit me as it ships tonight.tomorrow, I'll email them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I've just been impatient, but yeah, I've had to email them the past 4 times. Whatever, Amazon CS is amazing, so it's not so bad. Wishing I had chosen release day delivery on this and the game though, IMPATIENT!

I got a reply

"Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about the price change of the item "Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide (Hardcover)".

Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours. "

so I guess I'll email them again tomorrow if nothing happens...

May have to get this. This would be my first guide as I usually use online guides for free. I noticed a ton of guides from 13-19 on Amazon. Is this usually the range they sell them?

I love guides like this. I wasn't planning on picking up this game at launch but I will eventually. I wonder if I should just get the guide now. Hmm.

[quote name='buckythekat']I got a reply

"Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about the price change of the item "Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide (Hardcover)".

Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours. "

so I guess I'll email them again tomorrow if nothing happens...[/QUOTE]

According to their price match policy, "If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us box on the right side of any Help page."

Fired off an email just in case. It should auto-credit back (as a gift card in my case), though the price could easily change tomorrow morning or some time later this evening.

Better safe than sorry about the price change.

I e-mailed, too, and I'll be frankly pissed if I don't get my $5. It's the principle! :)

I miss when you could e-mail them within 30 days of buying something and get a refund if the price drops within 30 days after your purchase. Nothing pisses me off more than buying something and seeing it drop $10 two days later (or even a week later).

Got a weird reply, almost immediately.

"Hello,

I'm sorry this pre-order price guarantee wasn't applied to your order.

To correct this error, I've requested a refund of $5.00 to reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete."

They just flat out gave me $5. Shouldn't it have been like $4.25 or something? Anyway, I did not expect them to bow so readily to my assault. Why can't they always just do that? :) I really am quite a good customer, though. I buy everything through Amazon. Maybe that matters, I dunno.

Maybe I should try to get them to do more stuff for me. :)

I emailed as well since I got it at the $23 price. Amazon was being kinda shady with the PS3 CE so I canceled and ordered from the ea store.

At $18.89 I might order a second to keep in the plastic.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Got a weird reply, almost immediately.

"Hello,

I'm sorry this pre-order price guarantee wasn't applied to your order.

To correct this error, I've requested a refund of $5.00 to reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete."

They just flat out gave me $5. Shouldn't it have been like $4.25 or something? Anyway, I did not expect them to bow so readily to my assault. Why can't they always just do that? :) I really am quite a good customer, though. I buy everything through Amazon. Maybe that matters, I dunno.

Maybe I should try to get them to do more stuff for me. :)[/QUOTE]Very odd. Should have been $4.20, so $5 is you making an extra $0.80 on the deal. Lucky you.

They responded to my email and said they'll be crediting me the $4.20 back.

ugh what is with my bad luck with emailing? first never hearing back on my email about Ratchet and now I get a generic response while you two get refunds right away :bomb:

got an email as well, but they applied 2.10 to each of two items on my order, instead of 4.20 off of the guide... Strange, but hey, I'll take it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']niiice. thank you. Gonna have to email em about the price difference as well. Anyone else miss the good ol days of them automatically refunding the price from preorders? At least they're still awesome to do it when you contact them.[/QUOTE]

They refunded the difference on my Wolfenstein pre-order automatically. Guess it is just random if they do it or not.

Looks like it's back up to $20.99. I think I'm gonna get it anyway, just based on the reviews of the game it sounds like I might definitely need it.

[quote name='eastx']Not if they sell out, they don't.

Ordered. Thanks![/QUOTE]

When 18.89 for it is considered a great deal, they're not going to sell out in stores.

[quote name='pwnthee']When 18.89 for it is considered a great deal, they're not going to sell out in stores.[/QUOTE]

While I can see your logic, it could also be said that everything will eventually be worthless at some point ... however given that humans do have an expiration date, it sometimes seems a bit more prudent to strike while the iron is hot.

Of course there's always the off chance this could become rare like the MGS4 LE guide, however I have a feeling most of us are simply grabbing this because we also grabbed DA:O ... so it's more about saving $ off standard retail rates for something that we can use when we get it, rather than waiting for it to penny out in the next 6 months to a year.

[quote name='etcrane']While I can see your logic, it could also be said that everything will eventually be worthless at some point ... however given that humans do have an expiration date, it sometimes seems a bit more prudent to strike while the iron is hot.

Of course there's always the off chance this could become rare like the MGS4 LE guide, however I have a feeling most of us are simply grabbing this because we also grabbed DA:O ... so it's more about saving $ off standard retail rates for something that we can use when we get it, rather than waiting for it to penny out in the next 6 months to a year.[/QUOTE]

^ You are correct sir. I don't believe guides truly sell out this days, not with so many FAQs sites and videos available so easy to people. I bought the guide cause its a deep RPG, and those type of games seem like they are more worth it than most.

they still haven't refunded me anything :| guess it's time to call them and the fact the price has gone up pisses me off more

edit: and I get an idiot who is trying to tell me they only do refunds if the price drops more than $20 :bomb: I swear I have the worst fucking luck with Amazon customer service

I'm gonna bitch about this though I want my $5

edit 2: okay well after some arguing and referring them to their own help pages to prove there is such a thing as the Pre-Order Price Guarantee they finally agreed to refund me the difference but to the bitter end claiming this is not something they usually do and were making an exception for me :roll: like I said, I have the worst luck with their customer service other people got automatic refunds from their emails but I had to eventually call them and spend over 20 minutes on the phone arguing with them in order to get mine :wall:

[quote name='pwnthee']all guides eventually go for a penny, I'll wait.[/QUOTE]

Aside from RPG guides which usually double in value once they are sold out.

Picked one up as well. It seems like a fairly deep game that I will play every other day or so with MW2 on the horizon. Thanks OP!

[quote name='Pck21']It seems like a fairly deep game [/QUOTE]
This is why I picked it up, this is also the first guide I have ever bought for a game(25 years of gaming). Like someone else said I dont want to run back and forth to my PC like I did for Fallout 3. I think it'll also make some good bathroom reading :)

[quote name='62t']Aside from RPG guides which usually double in value once they are sold out.[/QUOTE]

What about Fallout 3?

well this is a surprise

so the phone refund is showing on my order but I just got another response to my email from yesterday saying they refunded

my order now shows two :!:refunds of $4.20 each pending :shock:

[quote name='Brother Daz']This is why I picked it up, this is also the first guide I have ever bought for a game(25 years of gaming). Like someone else said I dont want to run back and forth to my PC like I did for Fallout 3. I think it'll also make some good bathroom reading :)[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way with guides actually. The only one I have purchased before this was the MGS4 LE guide because I love the series and wanted anything and everything MGS4 LE. It actually came in handy a few times.

I wish I had bought one for Oblivion because I played the crap out of the game, put it down to try some other new games, and when I came back to it, I was completely lost. That shouldn't happen with this game and the guide. Plus, 400+ pages? That's just awesome! :drool: :shock:

[quote name='buckythekat']well this is a surprise

so the phone refund is showing on my order but I just got another response to my email from yesterday saying they refunded

my order now shows two :!:refunds of $4.20 each pending :shock:[/QUOTE]
They did kinda that with my ODST when it dropped $9 release day, I emailed about the $9 and they refunded it, and a day or two later I got the automatic refund for $9. So in the end I paid $27 for it.

bread's done
Back