Amazon Fire TV and Game Controller available right now $99/$39

It seems as though Amazon is targeting people who are looking for their first streaming-to-TV solution and not positioning this as a compelling upgrade for those who already have a streaming box. The hardware and voice search feature are appealing, but not so much that I feel compelled to have this on top of or in place of my Roku.
Voice searching which is awesome.

The cpu is a quad core which is double the roku 3s dual core so it runs a lot faster.

4 times the memory of the roku 3.

Has an optical output and Dolby support.

And has the ability to use the optional game controller with a bigger selection of games.

So its more than just for new users.

Voice searching which is awesome.
The cpu is a quad core which is double the roku 3s dual core so it runs a lot faster.
4 times the memory of the roku 3.
Has an optical output and Dolby support.
And has the ability to use the optional game controller with a bigger selection of games.
So its more than just for new users.
I like how someone else on here is willing to speak the truth and actually understands these devices. I have a Roku 3 but I will be getting a FireTV because it will be a huge upgrade and will run Plex and other apps so much better!

This will also have a Netflix and hula plus app on it
I want the hula app

hawaii-hula-girl-24117865.jpg

I like how someone else on here is willing to speak the truth and actually understands these devices. I have a Roku 3 but I will be getting a FireTV because it will be a huge upgrade and will run Plex and other apps so much better!
Do you work for Plex or something? You've bought this up a few times already.

seems like this is now the streaming device to get at the price point

better specs and a couple casual games which the others don't have

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because someone doesn't fellate it doesn't mean they don't "understand" it or aren't speaking "the truth". It means they simply don't want it. I'd need almost two full hands to count the devices I currently have that are capable of streaming everything this can. I don't care about a few casual games from a gimped app store, so that feature does nothing for me.

So.. if we have a Roku, we may want this instead? Hmm. I have a Roku 2. I still have to cancel my friggin cable. It looks neat, that's for sure. I just wonder how useful it is to someone who doesn't have prime + already has methods of streaming (Use my Wii U for Netflix/Hulu+ atm, plus I have a Roku 2) + I even have an ipad mini that i don't watch netflix/hulu/anything on, but I have the option.

Maybe I'll wait until the eventual "Amazon Fire 2 TV". 
Really glad to see Amazon jump on ship with this. More competition, the better it is for all of us :D

It's like an Xbox One with the disc drive at $400 cheaper. Wasn't this there earlier plans for $300 as a secondary SKU? (Box/No Games)

Does it do MKV streaming...that's what I'm looking for in a streaming solution...

Maybe cheaper just to get the new Roku streaming stick?

Im not sure the point of this product at this point when odds are you have 465645645 other things that can do the same thing this can. it's like buying a seperate dvd player at this point, aka pointless.....now if something you want like a xbox one happens to include a dvd player then so be it.

Amazon Game Studios sneak peak.  These look to be in various stages of development.  What's most striking to me is the large number of first party games they're developing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVLhqj1weY

That's some pretty mediocre looking games. Also wouldn't exactly call it a lot of them - they keep rotating through the same ones. In any case, the fact that it doesn't come with the game controller in the box is probably a mistake. Now only a subset of owners will be able to play the games. Most probably won't bother to buy the controller.

That's some pretty mediocre looking games. Also wouldn't exactly call it a lot of them - they keep rotating through the same ones. In any case, the fact that it doesn't come with the game controller in the box is probably a mistake. Now only a subset of owners will be able to play the games. Most probably won't bother to buy the controller.
I don't think they want it to be a "game console" in the mind of the general public and this keeps the price down for the majority of people. For gamers, $40 for a controller is $10-20 less than what we're used to paying and it comes with $10 of credit to buy games.

Some of the games looked decent to me, I'm probably going to buy the Fire TV so we can watch Netflix in the bedroom. That room has a really old blu ray player that does not have WiFi in it. I've been planning on getting a Vita TV for that room but after talking to my wife last night, 99% chance I'll just get this. The device is chiefly a streaming solution so the UI will be superior to a game console for a non-gamer like my wife to navigate and in addition to that for me It also plays game (some exclusive).

Additionally, it's small so I can pack it up and bring it with me to hotels or rental houses and such and let the kids watch netflix or whatever (assuming access to hotel wifi or wired LAN).

This is a "fast paced shooter with tower defense". Is the shooter part supposed to be like dead space or mass effect? Looks like some combination of the two. I would get this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI898kyBgM

Serious questions here as I am not a tech geek at all.

Why would anyone need one of these if they already have all these apps on their TVs and other consoles?  How does this do it better?  For instance, Amazone Instant Video.  They have that app on PS3.   How and would the Firetv do it better than the PS3? 

Serious questions here as I am not a tech geek at all.

Why would anyone need one of these if they already have all these apps on their TVs and other consoles? How does this do it better? For instance, Amazone Instant Video. They have that app on PS3. How and would the Firetv do it better than the PS3?
You don't need it in that situation unless it has some game or app you can't access with your current device. Chances are that if you have a streaming device hooked up to every tv in your house then this would be a waste of money. If, like me, you have a TV that doesn't have a streaming device then this is one of the top candidates to do the job or if you have a spouse that isn't a gamer and doesn't want to navigate a game console UI to stream. Another reason is if your secondary TV's streaming device is an Xbox console and you're paying for a gold subscription just to watch netflix on that TV, that's $60 a year while this is $100 one time. There are actually some people out there that mostly use their gold membership for streaming access still.

edit:

Additionaly, the Xbox consoles require gold membership which means if you have 2 Xbox 360's, each on a different TV, you can only log into one at a time meaning that you can only stream to one tv with your Xbox account (or you can play online with 1 TV and your spouse cannot stream on a second TV with another Xbox) since you can only be logged in on one console at a time. So to stream to two TV's at once (or to play games on one TV while also streaming to another TV) you'd need 2 gold memberships. Putting apps like this behind the gold paywall is detrimental to the experience.

So what makes this better than PS Vita TV if Sony actually brings that product to the West?
The Vita has the bigger streaming services, but the Fire TV does seem to have better support overall. Although, the Fire doesn't seem to have Crunchyroll and the Vita doesn't have Amazon Instant Video (according to Playstation.com).

Something that some people seem to be forgetting is that the most important part of a streaming device is content. The Fire TV is new, so it doesn't have all of the services that I use. They really don't need to be all that robust on a technical level, which is why the Apple TV hasn't had a real technical upgrade since 2012 (the 2013 revision just made it more difficult to hack). You also don't need to have a large hard drive since content is all streamed to the device.

I'm sure that the Fire TV will get more services as it gets more popular especially now that it is out. Right now the big ones it is missing that I see are HBO Go, WWE Network, Crunchyroll, The Blaze, MLB.tv, NHL, NFL and VUDU. As of right now, it cannot replace my ROKU 2 XD due to the services it is missing.

The Vita has the bigger streaming services, but the Fire TV does seem to have better support overall. Although, the Fire doesn't seem to have Crunchyroll and the Vita doesn't have Amazon Instant Video (according to Playstation.com).

Something that some people seem to be forgetting is that the most important part of a streaming device is content. The Fire TV is new, so it doesn't have all of the services that I use. They really don't need to be all that robust on a technical level, which is why the Apple TV hasn't had a real technical upgrade since 2012 (the 2013 revision just made it more difficult to hack). You also don't need to have a large hard drive since content is all streamed to the device.

I'm sure that the Fire TV will get more services as it gets more popular especially now that it is out. Right now the big ones it is missing that I see are HBO Go, WWE Network, Crunchyroll, The Blaze, MLB.tv, NHL, NFL and VUDU. As of right now, it cannot replace my ROKU 2 XD due to the services it is missing.
The main disadvantage to Vita TV is that it's not released in the US and there is no release date. If they'd at least date the thing that would help their odds of people holding off. Silence does nothing but lose them customers.

Of the list of missing apps, the only one I would ever use is VUDU and while it's not specifically listed in the Amazon page, news articles state that they're a partner. The Amazon sales page for Fire TV does show Flixster which can also stream all the UV content anyway.

I don't have the funds, so I"ll have time to wait and see what the next Apple TV looks like. I would like one or the other, though, as the 360 kind of sucks as a streaming device (so slow to power up, login, launch app) and that's what we have upstairs. Plus I'm not planning to keep Gold after my current sub expires.

I don't have the funds, so I"ll have time to wait and see what the next Apple TV looks like. I would like one or the other, though, as the 360 kind of sucks as a streaming device (so slow to power up, login, launch app) and that's what we have upstairs. Plus I'm not planning to keep Gold after my current sub expires.
I'm letting mine expire too, it happens next month for me. Their free games won't bring me back either because my HDD has less than 20 GB of free space left so I'm getting most new downloadable content for my PS3 which has over 100GB left.

As for the new Apple TV, rumors have been flying since last summer that they're going to put something similar out in that it will have gaming support (they patched in controller support almost a year ago). Even though the games for the Fire TV look mediocre, at least it has some first party studios, Apple doesn't do that (still waiting for their Nintendo buyout ;) ).

Why couldn't they have released this before Prime went up? I'd guess that they tried to but just couldn't for whatever reason. They would have had more sales for this if they did.
I imagine this way, they avoid a lot of backlash.

Amazon releases new product, the message is "This is really useful if you have Prime". Customer to self: "Hey, I have Prime, I will buy this product.". Amazon: "OK, you bought it, now we are going to charge you more for Prime".

I don't see how Prime would limit this box at all, except for the obvious fact that you can't use Prime Instant Streaming on it. Am I missing something?
Nope. That's it. Maybe some free game/app promos as well I guess.

Otherwise, it's just basically a Roku that does games too, has Netflix and bunch of other streaming apps so one isn't missing out on much not having Amazon Prime "free" videos on there (could still pay to rent things).

I have no interest in it as we already have tons of things that have streaming pass between a Roku, Bluray player, PS3 and PS4, iphones, ipads etc. and I don't care about mobile gaming on a TV.

I'd be mildly tempted if the Vita TV came over here, just to be able to stream my PS4 to the second TV in the next room since I don't like remote play on the Vita for most games (touch screen subbing for buttons just doesn't work, and you lose a lot playing on a small screen where as our 2nd TV is 50", only 5" smaller than the main one the PS4 is on).

Amazon is being very clever about this. They are very strongly pushing this not as a gaming machine, but as a simple streaming box to go up against Roku and Apple TV.

In that respect is an excellent product. Early impressions indicate that the extra processing power in the Fire TV is being put to good use to provide an interface that is clean, elegant, and extremely fast. This is one of its biggest selling points. Clunky and slow interfaces are one of my biggest complaints with devices like the Roku. They may be cheaper, but the overall experience is lacking. Having a streaming box that is snappy and fast is very desirable. The voice search feature is also very desirable, allowing for basic text input without a keyboard, and without tying all of the functionality too it.

This Fire TV is not intended for the average game enthusiasts. End users like us already own numerous devices that already handle all this functionality and more. For us it would be redundant, an unnecessary curiosity. This is for users who want access to Netflix without the slow, clunky interface that might come with their DVD player or Smart TV. I can think of several people who might be interested in stepping up their streaming game.

The game-related functionality of this device is a Trojan Horse. It is the first step in a larger, long-term strategy. It gives Amazon a way to begin promoting and distributing their own gaming offerings with minimal risk. The gaming hardware market is extremely competitive, Amazon would have had little chance to shoulder their way in. The streaming box market is considerably less cluttered, and many of the competitors have yet to properly realize their potential. With a high-performance alternative that is reasonably priced, Amazon could easily establish a sizable install base. Once they have that, pitching smaller developers on the viability of their gaming platform will be a breeze.

I asked my wife to go ahead and order on her prime account.  I'll report back how I like it once I've used it.  She ordered the controller for me as well.  Apparently despite the almost universal loathing for this device by the gaming community simply because it has an optional controller, the gaming aspect must be doing well because that controller is back ordered.  Evidently it was more popular than Amazon was expecting.  Plus it comes with a free game and $10 credit for more games.

Since they want to raise prime which put off a lot of people when that announcement went public then they should offer a bundle on this like buy this and get so much off a prime membership or a similar deal

Since they want to raise prime which put off a lot of people when that announcement went public then they should offer a bundle on this like buy this and get so much off a prime membership or a similar deal
Once version 2 comes out (probably later this year) maybe they'll do just that in order to unload inventory? They certainly aren't going to give away the product right after it launches.

Another big advantage Amazon has with a product like this is the fact that they don't need big-box retailers to push it. The majority of products have to be made to cater to the likes of Wal-Mart. Amazon has reached the point where they can thumb their nose at Wal-Mart, and still manage to sell a large number of these devices just from their own on-line store. This gives them a significant edge when it comes to selling and promoting a physical device that is focused on delivering digital-only goods. Amazon can sell and distribute the Fire TV at cost or even for a loss. The same is not true for devices like the Roku and Apple TV.

In theory, Apple could sell the Apple TV at cost, but Apple never does that. They are really going to have to step up their game with whatever the next Apple TV is. Amazon is giving them some competition.

And Blaster Man, please do give us your impressions when you get your unit. I particularly want to hear how effective the voice recognition is, and how well the UI runs. I know a couple who currently have a Roku, but would probably be interested in this if it performs well. I was thinking of getting them one as a present.

The Apple TV is the same price (actually a little cheaper, at least at amazon), so if they sold it at cost I guess it would be cheaper than the Fire TV. True it doesn't play games, but if they are adding game support I'm sure they are going to at least keep the same price point.

The Apple TV is the same price (actually a little cheaper, at least at amazon), so if they sold it at cost I guess it would be cheaper than the Fire TV. True it doesn't play games, but if they are adding game support I'm sure they are going to at least keep the same price point.
It would be great if Apple stepped up their game and made the next Apple TV more competitive. But the current Apple TV has inferior specs, and isn't nearly as open when it comes to development. Apple opened the floodgates for other developers to make games, but has never really backed or supported game development properly.

With Amazon's recent acquisitions, its clear that they take that aspect of their strategy much more seriously than Apple is. Even though they aren't pushing the Fire TV as a gaming device, they see real potential in that aspect of its functionality, and will be supporting it for game development.

Apple has been rather apathetic when it comes to games. They have benefited greatly from the surge of mobile games that came with the iOS, but their attempts to bolster that community have been half-hearted at best. Products like the Fire TV are going to make Android development more appealing for many developers.

I certainly agree that the FireTV has better specs and more games than the current AppleTV. LOL. However, it does appear that Amazon rushed their product to market. Engadget had an article after they had some time with it and they came away mixed. Some of the apps are ports of Google TV apps, and even have things like keyboard shortcuts - there is no keyboard option for the Fire TV. So they are slapping it together as fast as they can it would seem, I guess to beat Apple to market. We'll see if that strategy pays dividends.

Do you work for Plex or something? You've bought this up a few times already.
No I'm just trying to point it out because it seems like no one on here knows about it and it's AMAZING! Everyone's asking, can the FireTV do local streaming, will it stream MKVs....?!? The answer is yes, and it will do it with Plex!!!! I will be buying mine tomorrow after I am able to buy amazon gift cards for 10% off at Meijer tomorrow.

I'm getting one it will arrive tomorrow. I got it mostly for streaming videos with plex. I have a roku 2 and it works well I was going to get a roku 3 until I saw this. I find the PS3 has stuttering problems when using plex so I'll put this in the living room and hey maybe play a few games on it. And yeah plex is an awesome program for streaming any videos from your pc. I liked it much better when it was free but it's still worth the price especially since you can get it for 99 cents now.

No I'm just trying to point it out because it seems like no one on here knows about it and it's AMAZING! Everyone's asking, can the FireTV do local streaming, will it stream MKVs....?!? The answer is yes, and it will do it with Plex!!!! I will be buying mine tomorrow after I am able to buy amazon gift cards for 10% off at Meijer tomorrow.
Alright, I have to confess my ignorance. WTF are MKV's and wtf is Plex?

I'm getting one it will arrive tomorrow. I got it mostly for streaming videos with plex. I have a roku 2 and it works well I was going to get a roku 3 until I saw this. I find the PS3 has stuttering problems when using plex so I'll put this in the living room and hey maybe play a few games on it. And yeah plex is an awesome program for streaming any videos from your pc. I liked it much better when it was free but it's still worth the price especially since you can get it for 99 cents now.
Hmmmmm.....I've never had to pay anything for Plex... I mean I did buy the iPad app but that was it.....

Beat me to it. Plex has never worked well for me on PS3. Always wondered if it was because I was using the free version.

Beat me to it. Plex has never worked well for me on PS3. Always wondered if it was because I was using the free version.
Up until recently it was free I've had it for quite some time and it just never worked well on the PS3. It always worked just fine on the roku it's got to be a PS3 thing.

Does anything do mkvs natively? New Roku stick?
Dude I would just get the plex app and run with that. If you have a quad core pc or even a fast dual core it will do all the heavy lifting of transcoding on the fly. I've got an amd apu laptop running at 1.4ghz it's a quad core and it streams to the roku just fine the PS3 is another story.

Yes, the WDTV. It's a beast. Can play absolutely ANYthing thrown at it. I do think it's the best option if your concern is playing things natively. Only shortcoming is the slightly clunky and slow UI. It also doesn't offer as many streaming services as roku, but has most of the popular stuff.

Not familiar with the Roku stick.

Up until recently it was free I've had it for quite some time and it just never worked well on the PS3. It always worked just fine on the roku it's got to be a PS3 thing.
Yeah, I plan to give Plex a chance with another device. Everybody raves about it. When I used it most of my stuff would actually show up on the PS3, but it was always a tossup when trying to play something. So I just stuck with PS3 media server.

Plex will stream an MKV.

I'll walk you through steps...

1) Download Plex Media Server for your PC or Mac (where your local media is)

2) Run Plex Media Server

3) Use your Roku 3, or FireTV (plex capable device) to stream all the content from the computer

EASY!

I received this today.  The packaging is reminiscent of Apple's simple packaging.

The first thing that happens when you hook up the Fire TV is a search for WiFi access points then a password input (presumably this is skipped if you use Ethernet).  After this is a fairly large download followed by a restart then an install of the downloaded files and another restart.  That took maybe 5-10 minutes in total.  After that is a short animated tutorial video that was surprisingly watchable.

My Fire TV is about 20 feet away from my wireless router through 2 walls and a wooden TV stand.  My Internet connection is about 50 megabit so I should be able to get full speed via the dual channel N which my router and the Fire TV both support.

So first things first, it asks if you want parental controls.  I do so that the kids cannot make purchases.  I found out that this locks behind the PIN not just purchases but also the ability to stream Amazon content you own (or is free via Prime).  Under settings you can allow streaming of owned content without the password and still require a password for purchases.

There's some basic setup options such as resolution which it wouldn't let me change (maybe because I'm going through an HDMI switcher?).  I was able to adjust the image so that it fit my screen perfectly (up, down, left, right arrows displayed and you just press up or down to make sure you can see everything as is done in some games).

The controller is tiny but feels good (and soft) in the hand.  It's made of some kind of psudo-rubber material.  It won't slip out of your hand like a super slippery metal iPhone.  The "wheel" is a little cumbersome.  I found myself clicking multiple times in order to get it to navigate.  While it's a circle, it's really just a directional pad so if you press a diagonal, nothing happens, it only seems to do up/down/left/right.  I'm not sure why it's a circle, perhaps for aesthetics.

The UI is really slick.  No discernible lag while navigating.  It's a lot faster than my smart TV's apps.  I downloaded the free game (that comes with the controller) along with about 10 other games and 4 or 5 apps.  There were a lot of items queued at once and/or also installing.  This caused lag and eventually the controller stopped having a noticeable effect.  The screen went black a couple of times and showed up on the "my apps" screen.  I'm not sure if it's set to do that when there's navigation problems or if it queued my button presses and I ended there.  Once the downloads/installs were finished, it was fast and smooth in the UI again.  Luckily I won't be doing mass downloads on a regular basis so this isn't really an issue long term.

I unplugged my USB keyboard from my PC and plugged it into the USB port on the Fire TV.  It was plug and play which is great because the initial login for apps is a pain in the ass using a remote.  I keyed in the username/emails and passwords with the keyboard then returned it to my PC.

I installed the Netflix app and ran one of the kids cartoons that plays in HD.  It started with low resolution and by the end of the beginning song sequence it was clearly HD and looked great.  Netflix navigation is super fast.

I installed Flixster and tried that, my content all showed up with "HD" listed but when I attempted to stream, I was informed that they couldn't stream in HD (I tried two movies and both did this).  I don't know if this is because they didn't like my WiFI connection or if it's the service itself.  I'm inclined to believe it's Flixster so as soon as a VUDU app is released, I'll be deleting Flixster.

Since I didn't receive my Fire TV game controller yet (it's back-ordered and not expected for 3 weeks), I tried setting my PS3 controller up to it.  It didn't work but it was a worth a shot.  I have a 3rd party PS3 controller that has a USB infrared dongle so I gave that a shot as well.  It didn't work.  Amazon controller seems to support Nykon and a couple of other 3rd party's based on the help messages that display when attempting to connect controllers.  Depending on cost, it might not make sense to get a 3rd party controller (unless you already have one that is supported) at this time since Amazon is charging $40 and giving you $10 credit for games and apps (expires after a month) and a free game - Sev Zero (the 1st party 3rd person shooter/tower defense game) which is $7 to buy.  Any controllers purchased after the first only come with the $10 credit, you don't get another copy of the game.  I would say that at least 1 controller purchase makes sense in order to get the full $17 worth of content free.  Even though the controller hasn't shipped, they already gave us credit for these so I can immediately use the $10 and download the game.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to try Sev Zero without a supported controller.

Zen Pinball comes with 1 free table.

Confusingly, there is no off button, you're expected to leave it on for 30 minutes and it goes to sleep.  You can also unplug it but that seems unnecessary.  While downloading a large number of apps/games I felt the box and it was warm but not burning hot.  I believe it to be passively cooled (there are no vents) so it will be interesting to see what happens to it when I get a chance to play their 1st party games that really engage the GPU.  It can auto-update while in standby.

The Fire TV's performance is superior to my smart TV's apps and is easier to use and navigate than the Xbox 360 or PS3 apps for my wife.

They want 99 cents for Plex (I add this because of all the talk of this app).  I did not download this as I don't think it would be useful to me.

If you have a TV that needs a streaming device then this is a good option, especially with the potential to have some first party games on the way.  That's something my smart TV will never have.  I won't buy one for my living room since my smart TV is good enough though in the future if I wish to play some of the games on my larger screen with surround sound (the Fire TV supports Dolby Digital 5.1) then I can easily carry it downstairs and hook it up to my main TV since it is tiny and easily portable.

As expected, if you already have streaming devices hooked to every TV then you shouldn't bother with this unless you want to try out the 1st party games or use a really slow device.  If your spouse or kids are not good at navigating more complicated video game console UI's then this could be a good alternative to those.

edit:

One last thing, it comes pre-configured for the account you purchase it with so make sure you buy it with your account that has prime.  If you do not have prime but have an account that owns video content on Amazon already then buy with that one.  If you're buying this for someone else they (or you) will need to de-authorize the device in system settings or they will access your content and be buying things with your credit card.

bread's done
Back