Amazon - Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition Guide - now $17.99 (47% off)

buckythekat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Collectors-Prima-Official/dp/0307467082/

pretty damn good deal

now I just have to call them since they already shipped my copy at the old $19.79 price point :bomb:

edit: note for anyone else who already ordered it and had it shipped, they are required to adjust the price for you due to the Pre-order Price Guarantee

personally I just don't like waiting for them to do it automatically nor really trust them to either, but the guide doesn't officially release until tomorrow

better than when they dropped the Dragon Age Collector's Guide price the day of release and I had to explain to the lady that their guarantee covered through the end of release day

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my guide this morning, and got a price adjustment.
This is a sweet guide, it's also got this huge poster with it.

I'm trying to avoid spoiling the end of the game... :lol:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mass+Ef...oductCategoryId=abcat0701007&id=1218141144513

in stock online and available for instore pickup, my estimated delivery date for my amazon order is feb1st, and i didnt want to wait, so i got it at BB with instore pickup. and yeah its the collectors edition.

if i cant cancel my amazon order, i will just ebay it, and will probably not even break even but whatever. or keep one sealed as a collection piece but that is just not practical. dunno about the guide, i got the LE guide for mass effect 1 off amazon when it was clearanced out for 5 bucks so i will wait on that

edit, my delivery estimate from amazon
Shipment #1:
1 item - delivery estimate: February 8, 2010 - February 12, 2010

screw that noise, i am not waiting 2 weeks, and they said i could not cancel it, and it would not ship until feb 1st. amazon blows this time around(tho i usually like them)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']True...but RE5 is not ME2

17.99 is a steal regardless for a 320 page hardcover. There's 90 left at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. Look at the prices for The DragonAge Collectors Guide. Best bet is ME2 C Guide becomes more rare than DragonAge's.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']didnt adjust for me either..always gotta tell em. -sigh-[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it. Why is it this stuff never adjusts on it's own???
Amazon has some great prices but this kind of crap is annoying.
The CSR said he couldn't give me the $2 credit back but instead added $2 credit for my next purchase. I can deal with that. I really wish these people knew their own policies though. :bomb:

[quote name='ShockandAww']True...but RE5 is not ME2

17.99 is a steal regardless for a 320 page hardcover. There's 90 left at the moment.[/QUOTE]

18 dollars for a book? meh i know its usually 30 bucks normally but still that is a ton for a guide, but i think guides are way over priced for the most part.

[quote name='Vader582']Tell me about it. Why is it this stuff never adjusts on it's own???
Amazon has some great prices but this kind of crap is annoying.
The CSR said he couldn't give me the $2 credit back but instead added $2 credit for my next purchase. I can deal with that. I really wish these people knew their own policies though. :bomb:[/QUOTE]It's supposed to adjust on its own, though I've seen it work less than 100% of the time, which is why I email them.

Email them again, and include this URL in your email, which is the terms and conditions for their Pre-Order Price Guarantee:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/AWT354OR7BM1U

For the link-lazy:
[quote name='Amazon.com T&C']Pre-order Price Guarantee
Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date. A pre-order price guarantee message will appear on your Order Summary during the checkout process. If you use 1-Click ordering, pre-order price protection will be automatically applied. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Terms and Conditions:

• Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site. Does not apply to any products purchased at Amazon.com's other sites, including Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other web site operated by Amazon.com or its affiliates.
  • Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to not-yet-released books, CDs, videos, DVDs, software, and video games sold by Amazon.com. It does not apply to other product lines or to items that have already been released.
  • Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to qualifying items displaying the offer message on their product detail pages. Items that do not display the offer message do not qualify, regardless of the nature of the items.
  • If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered before the end of the day of the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact Customer Service.
[/quote]Bolded sections are the ones of importance. In theory, it's supposed to auto-adjust and credit you back, though I've had numerous orders where they didn't auto-adjust it after the fact and I had to email them and complain until they did. I've found it's much better to do it in advance, on the day of the drop, so there's no question it being at the lowest price by the release date.

You're supposed to get that money back to your credit card, not as a future promotional credit. If you have no luck with the emails, call them. Make sure you have a screen cap of the price today, as backup.

[quote name='CombatCraig']I may be missing it but where do you guys see the quantity left?[/QUOTE]Add the item to your cart, up the quantity to 999, and see how many Amazon would let you buy.

If it's less than 999, it'll tell you the max quantity.

[quote name='shrike4242']Add the item to your cart, up the quantity to 999, and see how many Amazon would let you buy.

If it's less than 999, it'll tell you the max quantity.[/QUOTE]

Good to know!

Thanks!

Grabbed it, first strategy guide since Animal Crossing on the gamecube. I love Mass Effect though and this guide looks nice. Went ahead and grabbed Mass Effect: Ascension.

[quote name='ssjmichael']plus shipping, and tax for most[/QUOTE]

Can't you ship to store? But yeah tax may kill it for some. I live in DE so no tax for me at all. Pretty much the only reason to live in DE.

no big surprise, I got an email response from someone who doesn't know Amazon's own policies saying the price I paid when it shipped was the lowest at the time and they're sorry it dropped more after but they can't do anything

clicked no it didn't answer my question and having a call back now

automatic my ass, I love Amazon but I hate jumping through these hoops just because they can't seem to honor their own policies automatically if something shipped early :bomb:

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Can't you ship to store? But yeah tax may kill it for some. I live in DE so no tax for me at all. Pretty much the only reason to live in DE.[/QUOTE]

Do wee know if walmarts have the guides in store? Ive only used site to store shipping once and it took a few weeks before the store got it.

Anyone received this yet? Mine should arrive sometime today but I'm curious about the quality? How does it look to anyone that's received it? Worth the $$?

I've been waffling back and forth on this one, but decided to just go ahead and make the order. I really enjoyed the Fallout 3 hardcover collector's edition guide, so I assume the Mass Effect 2 book will have a similar level of quality.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone received this yet? Mine should arrive sometime today but I'm curious about the quality? How does it look to anyone that's received it? Worth the $$?[/QUOTE]

I got it, and I think it's worth the $$$,
very nice quality, and very comprehensive.
I haven't looked too much though, I'm waiting by the door
for the FedEx man to deliver my CE copy of the game, don't want to spoil anything.

[quote name='buckythekat']no big surprise, I got an email response from someone who doesn't know Amazon's own policies saying the price I paid when it shipped was the lowest at the time and they're sorry it dropped more after but they can't do anything

automatic my ass, I love Amazon but I hate jumping through these hoops just because they can't seem to honor their own policies automatically if something shipped early :bomb:[/QUOTE]That's why I kept the URL for the terms & conditions for the policy, and post it in here when anyone has an issue with it.

It's spelled out clearly that you're supposed to get it, and it should be completely automatic. As we've all seen, it's not.

For a hardcover guide I really think it's worth your money at $18. I wish I would've gotten a guide for DA:O but have been using the Wiki site instead (which is very nice), but also kind of a hassle to constantly have to open my laptop to use it. I'm supposed to get my guide today and will definitely be looking through it, I'll post my opinion of it then.

[quote name='buckythekat']no big surprise, I got an email response from someone who doesn't know Amazon's own policies saying the price I paid when it shipped was the lowest at the time and they're sorry it dropped more after but they can't do anything

automatic my ass, I love Amazon but I hate jumping through these hoops just because they can't seem to honor their own policies automatically if something shipped early :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It's gotta be hit-or-miss with their customer service. I remember back when the ECA codes were "temporarily" down.. (moment of silence).. I emailed them and asked if there was any way to get a 10% discount on my order, and within a day got an answer back honoring my request. Others didn't have the same kind of luck unfortunately. It seems you just need to be persistent in contacting customer support until you get the result you desire. Sometimes being the annoying nagging person pays off.

well the guy on the phone was really helpful and worked with me to figure it out

then processed the refund for the difference :)

we also chatted about games some :p he wanted to know if I thought ACII was worth buying lol

I got my ce guide today, and looked through it a bit, but they I noticed that I got two of the posters! Yall might wanna check and see maybe someone can't count!

I never did get release date delivery option for this guide.. but thats ok I guess since its comming tommorow- 2-day free ship amazon prime.

Alright so finally got mine in the mail. The cover is very cool, it pops out at you a bit and plays with textures. The hardcover makes it a lot sturdier than the regular edition guide would've been. I can honestly say I'm a little disappointed, however. It's not as big of a book as I thought (still a little over 300 pages), but then again this isn't Fallout 3 we're talking about here, so I guess it's not bad. The guide seems to be written a lot like the past one, much narrative written out, plenty of maps, and highlighted sections with tips, info, words of caution, enemy profiles, etc. It basically looks like any important information is highlighted so you won't have to read through all the text just to make sure you don't miss something important. The extras include about 30 pages of art, and of course the poster (decent looking).

The walkthrough itself is pretty lengthy at about 180 pages, along with 25 pages of special assignments (side quests I'm guessing), and another 25 pages of pure text about planetary databases.

So in the end I'd say if you're planning on getting the guide, spend the extra few bucks to get yourself the CE guide. That extra $4 is worth the hardcover (which I feel is technically what you're paying for other than an "art gallery"). But at $30 I wouldn't recommend it at all, and would suggest to go pick up the regular version of the guide instead. Overall the guide looks like it will be useful enough to justify its purchase; now to just wait a week and half for my game to ship to me >.>

Amazon has a full stock of these. I entered a quantity of "999" and it added that many to my cart. I'm sure they'll sell out eventually but these probably aren't as limited as the Dragon Age ones were.

How can you guys add 999 of anything? o_O My Amazon account refuses to let me add anything beyond 100 total in my cart. So if I have one item in my cart besides the guide, I can only add 99 of the guide to my cart.

[quote name='tenn_volsfan']Price down to 16.00 now. (15.20 in my gold box)[/QUOTE]

Nice! I just sent a refund request right now.

[quote name='MasterWolf']Its covered for the price gurantee right?[/QUOTE]

No don't think so since it was probably a pre-order and the price now isn't between the time of order and the time of shipping. So to get a price adjustment or credit or whatever you'll probably have to get lucky.

I just ordered this no less than an hour ago for the $17.99. I already shot off an e-mail to Amazon to refund my account the difference. Thanks for the heads up

it's by the end of release day

this will be a tricky one though since on the east coast the price apparently didn't drop until the 27th

[quote name='Acknar']I got my ce guide today, and looked through it a bit, but they I noticed that I got two of the posters! Yall might wanna check and see maybe someone can't count![/QUOTE]

whats on the posters?

Blah I'd fight for the refund but a friend was nice enough to order it for me through his Prime account so he'd have to do all the fighting. I'm already giving him a $20 so I'm only out $4...but I like $4 lol

Huh...I ordered this yesterday at $17.99, but Amazon shipped it before it dropped to $16.00 because I chose Free 2-Day Shipping; I doubt it'd be worth it, but would/should I be able to fight for the $1.99 difference?

[quote name='Vigilante']Huh...I ordered this yesterday at $17.99, but Amazon shipped it before it dropped to $16.00 because I chose Free 2-Day Shipping; I doubt it'd be worth it, but would/should I be able to fight for the $1.99 difference?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I've never had a problem with amazon PMing things while they are in transit, and even up to a week after I've gotten it.

[quote name='Vigilante']Huh...I ordered this yesterday at $17.99, but Amazon shipped it before it dropped to $16.00 because I chose Free 2-Day Shipping; I doubt it'd be worth it, but would/should I be able to fight for the $1.99 difference?[/QUOTE]If it's shipped but not yet in your possession, Amazon normally will adjust the price if you've not received it yet. I wouldn't wait and would suggest emailing them now before it arrives.

i placed my order a few hours ago and saw this so i had them call me and asked if i needed to refuse the shipment and have it sent back and then reorder or if I could get an adjustment. so of course they'd make the adjustment since they have to pay to ship twice and then still give me the discount :)

bread's done
Back