Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

NOTE: Preorder information is now in the second post of this thread.

War of the Roses - 10% off + free upgrade to House of York edition.

Deal of the week 9/16-9/22:

The Walking Dead (PC/MAC): $14.99 - Steam
Tera Standard Edition: $9.99 + $9.99 credit for another copy to give to a friend
Tera Collector's Edition: $14.99 + $14.99 credit for another copy to give to a friend

Please check out our newly launched Free-to-Play store when you get a moment!

I wanted to let you all know about some exciting new selection we just launched supported by a new technology.

As of today, Amazon.com will be offering Free to Play and MMO games that you can purchase virtual goods, currencies, and subscriptions for on Amazon.com. These purchases will be delivered directly into your game account. We're calling this new service Game Connect.

Amazon has teamed up with our launch partners to bring Amazon customers exclusive content and bonus offers for the opening of the Free to Play store. Here is some of the cool stuff you'll get just for linking your Amazon account with a game account:

Super MNC: Customers who link their Amazon account with a Super MNC account will receive an exclusive Team Spirit Assault Rifle. This weapon for the Assault Pro has a unique, team colored, metal barrel shroud and is only available through Amazon.

Stronghold Kingdoms: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Stronghold Kingdoms account will receive a starter pack valued at $10. This pack includes: 10 packs of strategy cards (50 cards), 100 card points, and a 7 day premium token (7 days of Premium).

Shin Megami Tensei: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Shin Megami Tensei account will receive a free Incense of Training. By making a purchase of 3,500 Crowns, customers will also receive a voucher (Candle), which is exchangeable for a Heart Candle Necklace. Customers who reach level 20 during the 12 week launch period, they will receive another voucher (Depository Rental Ticket).

Rise of Immortals: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Rise of Immortals account will receive a free character bundle. This exclusive bundle includes Karapyss and his alternate character skins Scarab and Pirate.

BattleSpace: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a BattleSpace account will receive 100 honor medals. By making a purchase of 3,500 Crowns, customers will also receive Commander Alya. Customers who reach level 10 before October 6th, will receive an additional 100 honor medals and ship parts set (α x20, β x4, γ x2).

Iron Grip: Marauders: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Iron Grip: Marauders account will be given a booster pack containing 5000 Gold, 2000 iron, repair truck level 2, ambulance level 2, and a tri-scout Level 1.

Allods: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Allods account will receive an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This pack includes: 4x Token of the Explorer that can be brought to the Goblin Banker in your faction's capital in exchange for an increase in the size of the customer’s bag or bank deposit box, a Medium Bag of Crystal Chips that, combined with Gold Dust in-game, allow customers to combine/upgrade runes that increase damage/healing, and an Enchanted Saddle that summons a Rank 1 horse mount.

Pirate Galaxy: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Pirate Galaxy account will receive a Rapid Tank Starter Ship and 1,500 Energy to fuel the best items available.

Fiesta: Customers who purchase SparkCash to use in Fiesta will receive a 30-day swift and mighty Dark Pegasus Mount.

8BitMMO: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an 8BitMMO account will receive three, exclusive, brand-new hats. These hats are a Cowboy Hat, a Blue Baseball Cap, and a Duck. Link your account and start your 8 bit adventure today.

Aika: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Aika account will receive an exclusive starter package valued at $15. This pack includes a Mount and Mount Saddle. Use the mount to travel far distances in half the time and resist environmental damages. Use the Mount Saddle to lower the requirement to ride other mounts.

Knights of the Sky: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Knights of the Sky account will receive a free Happy Hour, which increases the likelihood of recruiting better Heroes. Purchase 3,500 Crowns or more through Amazon and receive a free Labor Decree, which increases Construction queues from 3 to 5, or purchase 35,000 crowns or more and receive an exclusive free Hero (valid on first purchase only). Reach level 20 before October 6th, and receive 6 items that increase resource gain by 25%. Start playing today.

Rappelz: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Rappelz. account will get an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This pack includes a Stamina Saver that stops stamina from decreasing for 1 hour, an Animal Cracker used to earn 50% more EXP for 1 hour, a Pet Resurrection Spell book that resurrects pets instantly after a fall in battle, a Feather of Summon which instantly summons a friend to aide in battle, and a Hidden Village Pass that gives 7 days of access to the exclusive Hidden Village.

Luvinia: Customers who make any purchase of SparkCash to use in Luvinia will receive a 30-day Flying Griffin Mount.

Flyff: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Flyff account will receive an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This package contains a Magic Broom that allows customers to start flying immediately, bypassing the level 20 requirement, an S Protect Gift Box which will allow customers to upgrade an item to create stronger stats right from the start, a random Gift Box that contains something special, a Police Outfit, and a Kitty Pet to help collect loot.

Steel Legions: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a NEW Steel Legions account will receive one of three different, fully equipped premium tanks.

Pandora Saga: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Pandora Saga account will receive a Beginner Gear set. Customers who purchase 3,500 Crowns or more through Amazon will receive Recipe: Wing Shield Vol. 1 (first time purchasers only). Customers who reach Level 20 before October 6th will receive a horse mount.

And that's just the free stuff you get with linking.

We're also carrying the games below and offering Amazon exclusive in-game packs for each game which provide a higher value than normal virtual good purchases.

World of Tanks: Customers can purchase three different Amazon-exclusive World of Tanks packs: Starter Pack, Advanced Pack, and Expert Pack.

Runescape: Customers who purchase a 90 or 180 day membership package for Runescape will receive an exclusive Golden Katana.

War Inc. Battle Zone: Customers are able to purchase three different War Inc. Battle Zone Amazon exclusive packs: the Merc Pack, Heroic Pack, and Kill Em All Pack

Pre-Order Borderlands 2 from us for 10% off and help me get a tattoo! Yes it activates on Steam!

I am a huge Borderlands 2 fan and I want this to be our best selling pre-order ever. So I've drawn a line in the sand. If, from now until launch, we take 40,000 more preorders than where we were on 7/2/2012 I will get a Borderlands tattoo on my back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been nibbling through Rage off an on for the past few months and it's such a disappointment, especially from a graphic standpoint as they admittedly made consoles the lead platform (cuz that's where the money is these days, sad to say) and there was no hi-rez texture option. It hardly matter though because the gameplay is so blah. In the time between Rage's announcement (June 2007) and release (Oct. 2011), Fallout 3 (released Oct. 2008) and Borderlands (Oct. 2009) had come and long gone, so Rage ended up being too little, waaaaay too late, and shallower than both of its predecessors.

I have a decent PC - Core i7 @ 3.6 GHZ/12GB RAM - and with my old SLIed GTX460 1GB cards, outdoor levels would take literally 30 seconds for the textures to load (I would go get some water while it chugged away) and the frame rate to get to 60 fps. One of the side jobs was to provide sniper overwatch and I nearly failed it because I was unable to play while it was loading up and running at 1 fps. Weird thing though is that when I replaced the SLI setup with a single GTX670 2GB, levels load in about 5 seconds and it blazes. Very strange that 1GB wasn't enough memory. However, the hardware texture option (or whatever it's called) still isn't available in the settings.

What has happened to id and John Carmack? They were the leaders in pushing game engine tech and they licensed the Quake II and Quake 3 engines for so many titles and then Epic came along with Unreal Engine and ate their lunches. Damn near everything is UE these days. Doom 3 was ahead of its time (tech-wise) and id Tech 5 (Rage's engine) was supposed to an efficient multi-platform creation engine and it looks stillborn while Unreal Engine 4 (IIRC) is showing now and looking amazeballs.

I have to say that after a long string of wallet-emptying sales, Amazon's been rather slow on the deals, mostly because I've already got most of what's being sold now. Not complaining; actually appreciating the quiet time to catch up on the backlog a bit.

[quote name='mac995555']Anyone have opinions on Binary Domain?[/QUOTE]

The OP has a link to a pretty good review of it by MysterD and most other opinions on it have been generally in the same vein (positive).

For anyone who pre-orders on Amazon digital, how does it work?

Do they still have any sort of pre-order price guarantee?

Do they charge you the minute you pre-order or wait until the release date?

And if a pre-order bonus item gets added later on do you get included even if you pre-ordered prior?

Just wondering since I have the THQ 5 dollar credit now and South Park looks tempting, but won't release for about a year.

[quote name='mac995555']Anyone have opinions on Binary Domain?[/QUOTE]

Pretty fantastic so far. Liking it a hell of a lot more than the Mass Effect series since there's more enemy variety in this, the combat's faster and more fluid, the dialog is less fucking rambling, story seems more interesting (So far at least), has a similar half-assed character customization system, and apparently even has alternate endings depending on your performance and how your party members like you.

Well worth $10 if you can tolerate third person cover shooting at all. It's ridiculous this didn't sell well (And didn't review well, what the hell)

The lower reviews probably stemmed from all the comparisons to other TPS shooters. I personally like the game, though like any other game, it does have its flaws. But at $10, that's a heck of a deal, especially when console price is much higher and people are still debating on getting it after the console price drop.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']To clarify, the entire THQ pack activates on Steam.

I'll add this to the OP.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification Tony; I just didn't see it specified anywhere on the product pages for any of the games besides SC: FA, but that's good to know.

[quote name='Corpekata']Metro is technically a FPS but is not the typical kind. It's much more horror/ atmospehere dependant so don't dismiss just because you're also shooting. It's not a run and gun Call of Duty type game or anything.

Supreme Commander is still regarded as one of the best RTS. Back when it launched it was the Crysis of RTS games (in a "Can your computer run Supreme Commander?") way. It has a rather large following still. The only thing I can say negatively about Forged Alliance is that you're going to miss out on the single player campaigns from the base game, and the multiplayer, while generally still alive, is mostly full of the hardcore and so not a good place to start for a beginner.

Nexuiz I haven't played yet. Red Faction I played for a bit on Onlive when it was added to their playpack thing, and I thought it was quite fun. Linear, and the story seemed dull, but the weapons you get were very amusing. Am actually trying to make a trade for the game now so that should say enough about how much I liked it, that I want to own it now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the further detail on Metro 2033; I was kinda thinking the same thing you said when I looked at some of the gameplay videos in that it may be one of those FPS games I find interesting because it didn't look like your typical "run and gun", primarily multi-player oriented FPS, so that's good to get a confirmation so to speak, of what I was thinking (plus I love a good horror type game :D).

I'm still a little confused on Forged Alliance though between one of your comments above and a user comment I read on the Amazon page. In the description of the game, it mentions a "new single player campaign" where the primary threat is this "new faction" that is newly available to use in the multi-player battles. So between your comment about missing out on the "single player campaigns from the base game" and a comment I read about "many of the options are locked out" in FA if you don't have the base game, my question is are you able to play this "new single player campaign" with just the stand alone FA game or do you have to have the base game to play any of single player campaigns including the new one with FA, which would be a detracting factor for me since I don't have the base game? :cry:

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']We have non-steam versions of both of these packs:

Bioshock Dual Pack non-steam - http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-41039k-Dual-Pack1/dp/B008235PQQ/

Shooter pack with non steam versions of bioshock 1 and 2, Borderlands and DNF are always steam required - http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-40897hooter-Pack2-Download/dp/B006OF1AMM

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, even the non-steam pack required an Internet connection, and doesn't solve the original problem. If I could simply purchase these games and run software to make them available offline, that would be great. I hate having to activate my games online (Online games are different of course - but singleplayer?!?!?!). This is how companies alienate their customers (I realize amazon has no control over this, I'm talking about game companies).

Steam and GFWL both have offline modes. I'm not 100% sure I understand the complaint, you want to download the games but not have them need an internet connection upon first use?

[quote name='Genocidal']Steam and GFWL both have offline modes. I'm not 100% sure I understand the complaint, you want to download the games but not have them need an internet connection upon first use?[/QUOTE]

BioShock's DRM requires an internet connection to activate, but I'm pretty sure that's only upon first use, so I don't know what the problem is if he's able to post on CAG..

Just want to confirm about Fall of the Samurai, because I got it.

I had Shogun 2 and Rise of the Samurai. I saw the sale and decided to complete the package. Fall of the Samurai acts like DLC in the fact that it adds itself to the base game, so when I entered the code, I downloaded 2-4 GBs of extra content (forget how much exactly).

The game itself changes up the single player campaign, and adds new clans and tons of new units. So definitely more an "old world" expansion then a DLC. It doesn't seem to be 7.50 anymore but its still 50% off, if you like Shogun 2, then why don't you have it already.

[quote name='JanusDS']Ah ok, thanks for the clarification Tony; I just didn't see it specified anywhere on the product pages for any of the games besides SC: FA, but that's good to know.

Thanks for the further detail on Metro 2033; I was kinda thinking the same thing you said when I looked at some of the gameplay videos in that it may be one of those FPS games I find interesting because it didn't look like your typical "run and gun", primarily multi-player oriented FPS, so that's good to get a confirmation so to speak, of what I was thinking (plus I love a good horror type game :D).

I'm still a little confused on Forged Alliance though between one of your comments above and a user comment I read on the Amazon page. In the description of the game, it mentions a "new single player campaign" where the primary threat is this "new faction" that is newly available to use in the multi-player battles. So between your comment about missing out on the "single player campaigns from the base game" and a comment I read about "many of the options are locked out" in FA if you don't have the base game, my question is are you able to play this "new single player campaign" with just the stand alone FA game or do you have to have the base game to play any of single player campaigns including the new one with FA, which would be a detracting factor for me since I don't have the base game? :cry:[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it yet so someone who has can confirm, but from what I read is that Supreme Commander had a sort of unique single player storyline for each faction you chose to play. Forged Alliance replaced those with one single player storyline that you can play with each faction. So you can pay the single player mode and you can play it with different factions, but it is just sort of one generic storyline you keep replaying whereas the original had different, unique storylines depending on what faction you chose to play with.

"Being able to choose a campaign and go through that faction's unique story and struggle has disappeared in favor of a single, similar story (and missions for all three factions) with the option to be different factions during said mission. The only difference in these missions might be one objective."

[quote name='red flare graf']BioShock's DRM requires an internet connection to activate, but I'm pretty sure that's only upon first use, so I don't know what the problem is if he's able to post on CAG..[/QUOTE]

I have the Internet; that's not the issue. I'm old school though, and I don't feel like having to connect to the Internet and verify with a server every time I want to install a game. If I purchase the game, I should be able to play it when I want and where I want. Bioshock is a single player game, and if I want to break it out and install it in 8 years, I have to:

- Be connected to the Internet
- Hope the server is still up for it to connect to
- Hope there isn't some other stupid DRM-crap connected to the game that says I can't install it more than 3 times. What if this is the 4th time installing it? Oh, now the game I purchased and paid money for, I can't play (but I guess that's supposed to be OK, because companies are now saying you are just licensing it, now owning it when you fork out that sort of money for a game).

I have ripped all of my PC games to a hard drive that I can take with me anywhere I go and have ALL my games. This hard drive also contains all manuals, patches, popular mods, and online strategy guides that I have saved. I have all I need on the drive, and don't want required Internet connectivity to play them. A friend of mine has steam and swears by it...until he moved to a place without high speed Internet because of his job and because that's the only place he could find in the area that was at a decent price. Now he can't install any of his games that he paid for.

Steam is so great!!!! /sarcasm

Sorry, I'm not purchasing if online connectivity is required to play a game I purchased, UNLESS I can buy it now, install/connect now, and then immediately get instructions on how to create a back-up that I can install without an Internet connection.

This really isn't the thread for it, but Steam offers the ability to backup all your games, and Amazon offers DRM-free downloaders for many games that aren't tied to a service, which is exactly what you're asking for. I think your preconceptions about what is required are coming from an uninformed point of view that may have been true years ago but is not necessarily true about digital distribution today.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I haven't played it yet so someone who has can confirm, but from what I read is that Supreme Commander had a sort of unique single player storyline for each faction you chose to play. Forged Alliance replaced those with one single player storyline that you can play with each faction. So you can pay the single player mode and you can play it with different factions, but it is just sort of one generic storyline you keep replaying whereas the original had different, unique storylines depending on what faction you chose to play with.

"Being able to choose a campaign and go through that faction's unique story and struggle has disappeared in favor of a single, similar story (and missions for all three factions) with the option to be different factions during said mission. The only difference in these missions might be one objective."[/QUOTE]

Ok, well if that's the case then that's cool...I could just play it through with one faction and if I like the game overall, I could probably find the base game on sale (Steam summer sale maybe :razz:) and play the different faction campaigns with the different stories. As long as it just has some sort of single player campaign for me to get acquainted with the game and see if I like its style is my main concern. :)

[quote name='Genocidal']This really isn't the thread for it, but Steam offers the ability to backup all your games, and Amazon offers DRM-free downloaders for many games that aren't tied to a service, which is exactly what you're asking for. I think your preconceptions about what is required are coming from an uninformed point of view that may have been true years ago but is not necessarily true about digital distribution today.[/QUOTE]

Amazon posted in here about a Bioshock dual-game pack that didn't require steam. Awesome I thought! But the I went to the link and saw that it still needed Internet activation.

I love digital games. I don't like having to activate a game that I'm going to play single-player. I've purchased physical copies of games, and I've also purchased digital copies of games. I purchased Diablo III digital, and am perfectly fine with Internet connection needed for that as it's an online-only game. I get that. I'm fine with that.

Something like Assassin's Creed though (or any game that is mainly single player but requires you to activate/be connected online to play) is a joke and an insult as a customer willing to fork out my hard-earned dollars to your company.

Steam does offer the ability to back-up your games, but as I understand it, that is so you can reinstall your games later without having to re-download all of the files you had to when you initially installed it. It has nothing to do with being able to save those back-uped files to a hard drive, carry that hard drive over to my laptop which has no Internet Connection and no steam client, and installing it on there. As far as I've read, that won't work. That's what I want. Tell me how to do that with games that require online activation and/or steam and/or origin and I will buy everything in the TC's first post.

I'm kind of baffled you're fine with Diablo 3, but not the other stuff. That game is online only because they want you to use their auction house and little more. Before we get too off topic though, Bioshocks are likely not in your future, as Steam, GFWL, and Securerom all violate things you want sadly. Look to sites like GOG. Amazon has some decent DRM free sales at times but this particular lineup is using one form of DRM or another.

[quote name='Corpekata']I'm kind of baffled you're fine with Diablo 3, but not the other stuff. That game is online only because they want you to use their auction house and little more. Before we get too off topic though, Bioshocks are likely not in your future, as Steam, GFWL, and Securerom all violate things you want sadly. Look to sites like GOG. Amazon has some decent DRM free sales at times but this particular lineup is using one form of DRM or another.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE GOG, and I LOVE the Amazon Sales that are DRM Free. I love digital everything, just not online authentication for single-player games :).

And as far as Diablo 3, I'm very disappointed with the game. I've fine with the "needing Internet always connected" because it's on online game though, that makes sense. It doesn't mean I like the game though. And yes, I agree it's to lure you into the Auction House.

There is no convincing me to purchase these games unless there is a way to bypass online authentication so I KNOW for a fact I can play these games in the future. To be honest, I don't have time to play these games now. I would install them to make sure they work, uninstall them, and maybe try them again in several months. But, right there is 2 installations (some games have 3 or 5 install limits on them). And, I will be buying a new PC soon. There is another. And if they don't work on Windows 7 that will, I'll throw them on my XP machine - there is another installation.

I don't mean it to seem like I'm arguing, and I appreciate all of the suggestions. You are right, it is a bit off topic, so I'll stop now. But thanks for answering the questions; I'll keep an eye out for future DRM/Online-Activation free games.

[quote name='davarian']I LOVE LOVE LOVE GOG, and I LOVE the Amazon Sales that are DRM Free. I love digital everything, just not online authentication for single-player games :).

And as far as Diablo 3, I'm very disappointed with the game. I've fine with the "needing Internet always connected" because it's on online game though, that makes sense. It doesn't mean I like the game though. And yes, I agree it's to lure you into the Auction House.

There is no convincing me to purchase these games unless there is a way to bypass online authentication so I KNOW for a fact I can play these games in the future. To be honest, I don't have time to play these games now. I would install them to make sure they work, uninstall them, and maybe try them again in several months. But, right there is 2 installations (some games have 3 or 5 install limits on them). And, I will be buying a new PC soon. There is another. And if they don't work on Windows 7 that will, I'll throw them on my XP machine - there is another installation.

I don't mean it to seem like I'm arguing, and I appreciate all of the suggestions. You are right, it is a bit off topic, so I'll stop now. But thanks for answering the questions; I'll keep an eye out for future DRM/Online-Activation free games.[/QUOTE]

Would it make you feel better if all games were made to be "online" by adding some component into it that "required" the internet? The line isn't very well defined.

But I will add that Amazon DVG says that if you have a key and run out of installations they will issue you a new key no questions asked, so I would not worry about that if I were you.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I don't think there's a particular system I can put in place to mitigate this, other than to stop adding end dates to promotions when I pre-announce them, which is something I think I'm going to test with our next promo. [/QUOTE]
Oh dear god no...

Having parameters around the duration of your sale is the industry norm. And I don't just mean DD or online, but in the greater world of retailing. If you want to end frustration I don't think this is the way to accomplish that at all.

What Amazon DD desperately needs is consistency. Regular dates around sale times so that customers know what to expect without even having to ask - or hunt for tiny text on a word filled page. I mean, it's kinda cool never knowing what the hell you'll find when you pop in this thread, but it's also frustrating if you make plans around announced dates and check back only to find the deal is off.

Maybe consider announcing the sale dates and teasing some of the "sure things" and fill in the blanks as the times become rock-solid. Knowing the plan in advance is also very cool, but not if that plan is subject to unannounced change.

I realize part of what you are doing is trying to get the sale info to go viral and I think that's been very effective. The downside is that because plans can change when you're dealing with suppliers outside your control who hold the content it can potentially cut into the credibility of the event.

Sorry for being long-winded and I hope this all sounds constructive. I love the effort from Amazon DD and speaking personally, it's definitely made it a stop on my DD watch.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Would it make you feel better if all games were made to be "online" by adding some component into it that "required" the internet? The line isn't very well defined.

But I will add that Amazon DVG says that if you have a key and run out of installations they will issue you a new key no questions asked, so I would not worry about that if I were you.[/QUOTE]

It would only make me feel better if games were ONLINE only, like WoW, or Diablo 3. If games had both a single player element and an online mode, then I don't need to connect to play single player. If I go online, I need to use my key though. I liked the way Diablo 2 worked....it sold millions of dollars worth.

It's not just Amazon with the activations, but it may also be EA or whoever else I have to activate the game through. It also still doesn't get rid of the original issues of:

- having to have an Internet connection.

I grew up in an area with no high-speed Internet (we just got it last year). I know friends that have moved due to job re-locations to areas with no highspeed Internet (and they have Steam with 200+ games). I also have had the issue of moving myself when I was in college every year and being without Internet for several days while they connected my service. I don't want to have to authenticate my games online to play them, unless they are specifically online games!

- the company still having authentication servers up

I don't feel comfortable living in a society that focuses solely on making the biggest profits being able to control how long I can play games that I paid money for. In 10 years, Deadspace 5 comes out (I haven't played them, so I don't know the story - this isn't a spoiler). I want to go back and play Deadspace 1, 2, 3, and 4. Authentication for Deadspace 1 and 2 though isn't available any more for the original copy. But an "Anthology Pack" is now available, which contains Deadspace 1 - 4. It's $49.99. The authentication servers for that is up. So, now if I want to play those games, I'm paying the company more money. And, with the fact that agreements now say that you are just being licensed the product and you don't own it, means that companies can do this.

- Activation numbers

Even if I can get them back, what's the time frame? Do I have to email and wait? Do I have to call and wait on the line? Is there someone there 24/7? What if it's Christmas morning at 2AM? How about no activation limits?

You won't get me to change my mind. I realize I won't get to play many games because of this (although, I could go over to a friend's house and do it - I have before), but I also realize that these companies won't see my money.

And, in an argument of "they do this because of piracy and lost sales"....how much money does it take to develop these anti-piracy measures? How much money does it cost to pay for the licensing in order to use Secur-rom and other forms of copy protection. I agree that some people download instead of buy, but I also know that most that download would have never bought anyway, and many who download do so because of DRM. I think they have still failed to prove any connection between terrible game sales and piracy, and if they have, it's because they have caused the issue themselves (lack of distribution/availability, terrible DRM, terrible game that is also overpriced that no one would have bought to begin with).

[quote name='davarian']I LOVE LOVE LOVE GOG, and I LOVE the Amazon Sales that are DRM Free. I love digital everything, just not online authentication for single-player games :).

I don't mean it to seem like I'm arguing, and I appreciate all of the suggestions. You are right, it is a bit off topic, so I'll stop now. But thanks for answering the questions; I'll keep an eye out for future DRM/Online-Activation free games.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried minesweeper, no install limits, drm free, and is included on your Windows installation disk?

[quote name='sunasun']Have you tried minesweeper, no install limits, drm free, and is included on your Windows installation disk?[/QUOTE]

But the Windows installation disk requires online activation! It's DRM all the way down!

[quote name='hhhdx4']But the Windows installation disk requires online activation! It's DRM all the way down![/QUOTE]
Ahhh, hmmm guess he's right. He is screwed with no internet.

[quote name='davarian']It would only make me feel better if games were ONLINE only, like WoW, or Diablo 3. If games had both a single player element and an online mode, then I don't need to connect to play single player. If I go online, I need to use my key though. I liked the way Diablo 2 worked....it sold millions of dollars worth.

It's not just Amazon with the activations, but it may also be EA or whoever else I have to activate the game through. It also still doesn't get rid of the original issues of:

- having to have an Internet connection.

I grew up in an area with no high-speed Internet (we just got it last year). I know friends that have moved due to job re-locations to areas with no highspeed Internet (and they have Steam with 200+ games). I also have had the issue of moving myself when I was in college every year and being without Internet for several days while they connected my service. I don't want to have to authenticate my games online to play them, unless they are specifically online games!

- the company still having authentication servers up

I don't feel comfortable living in a society that focuses solely on making the biggest profits being able to control how long I can play games that I paid money for. In 10 years, Deadspace 5 comes out (I haven't played them, so I don't know the story - this isn't a spoiler). I want to go back and play Deadspace 1, 2, 3, and 4. Authentication for Deadspace 1 and 2 though isn't available any more for the original copy. But an "Anthology Pack" is now available, which contains Deadspace 1 - 4. It's $49.99. The authentication servers for that is up. So, now if I want to play those games, I'm paying the company more money. And, with the fact that agreements now say that you are just being licensed the product and you don't own it, means that companies can do this.

- Activation numbers

Even if I can get them back, what's the time frame? Do I have to email and wait? Do I have to call and wait on the line? Is there someone there 24/7? What if it's Christmas morning at 2AM? How about no activation limits?

You won't get me to change my mind. I realize I won't get to play many games because of this (although, I could go over to a friend's house and do it - I have before), but I also realize that these companies won't see my money.

And, in an argument of "they do this because of piracy and lost sales"....how much money does it take to develop these anti-piracy measures? How much money does it cost to pay for the licensing in order to use Secur-rom and other forms of copy protection. I agree that some people download instead of buy, but I also know that most that download would have never bought anyway, and many who download do so because of DRM. I think they have still failed to prove any connection between terrible game sales and piracy, and if they have, it's because they have caused the issue themselves (lack of distribution/availability, terrible DRM, terrible game that is also overpriced that no one would have bought to begin with).[/QUOTE]
Here you go, this is DRM free, unlimited activations.
http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/390-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition
only $10.14 USD

[quote name='sunasun']Here you go, this is DRM free, unlimited activations.
http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/390-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition[/QUOTE]

I got it, and it's great! Pre-ordered it as soon as the option became available.

I thought real gamers would respect being able to purchase a product and install it without being treated like a criminal. From the posts of sarcasm around here, I guess you like your DRM and being forced online to play your single player games. How is Assassin's Creed when Ubi servers go down? Fun times, huh? What about when your Internet goes down for a bit?

Asscreed (and most of Ubi's games) constant online connection DRM are patched out a couple months into release. Only a couple titles have it still. So yes, Asscreed is fun when their servers go down, or when my internet goes out, because it has no affect on it. Well, okay, Asscreed isn't fun because the first game isn't very good, but Asscreed 2 is.

[quote name='Corpekata']Asscreed (and most of Ubi's games) constant online connection DRM are patched out a couple months into release. Only a couple titles have it still. So yes, Asscreed is fun when their servers go down, or when my internet goes out, because it has no affect on it. Well, okay, Asscreed isn't fun because the first game isn't very good, but Asscreed 2 is.[/QUOTE]

Maybe now...but initially I bet not. I was actually unaware of the change because I made sure to ignore everything Ubisoft when they started this business model. And, maybe it was changed because of people like me. I guess you support the constant online connection though? I would be interested in why...or are you just here for the sake of argument?

Fact - it was still annoying and alienating for their customers. Only blind fanboyism would state otherwise. Fact - support of this practice only makes it more acceptable. It was the large number of complaints and issues that led towards the "patching out." I think the Amazon reviews are an example of this. And now if I would go buy it, I would pay a fraction of what it cost when it was released. Fact - The DRM didn't benefit the company or their customers.

Hmm...a quick search gave me this:

"Now, the games will supposedly only check legitimacy over the Internet every time the game is launched, but can then be played offline. It's not quite hassle free, but it's certainly better than having to maintain a constant connection or suffer an interruption in gameplay, especially in singleplayer campaigns"

So, still annoying. No ACII purchase for me.

[quote name='hal']Oh dear god no...

Having parameters around the duration of your sale is the industry norm. And I don't just mean DD or online, but in the greater world of retailing. If you want to end frustration I don't think this is the way to accomplish that at all.

What Amazon DD desperately needs is consistency. Regular dates around sale times so that customers know what to expect without even having to ask - or hunt for tiny text on a word filled page. I mean, it's kinda cool never knowing what the hell you'll find when you pop in this thread, but it's also frustrating if you make plans around announced dates and check back only to find the deal is off.

Maybe consider announcing the sale dates and teasing some of the "sure things" and fill in the blanks as the times become rock-solid. Knowing the plan in advance is also very cool, but not if that plan is subject to unannounced change.

I realize part of what you are doing is trying to get the sale info to go viral and I think that's been very effective. The downside is that because plans can change when you're dealing with suppliers outside your control who hold the content it can potentially cut into the credibility of the event.

Sorry for being long-winded and I hope this all sounds constructive. I love the effort from Amazon DD and speaking personally, it's definitely made it a stop on my DD watch.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much agree with all of this. You're never going to please everybody, but I think you'd anger a lot more people by not giving a set time period for sales, be it a date or a number of copies sold (please don't do this, Gamestop does it for flash sales and it's terrible).

[quote name='davarian']I got it, and it's great! Pre-ordered it as soon as the option became available.

I thought real gamers would respect being able to purchase a product and install it without being treated like a criminal. From the posts of sarcasm around here, I guess you like your DRM and being forced online to play your single player games. How is Assassin's Creed when Ubi servers go down? Fun times, huh? What about when your Internet goes down for a bit?[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to delete a game and redownload it at a later point? Why are you using the most extreme cases, that most gamers are not okay with to explain why you won't use services that provide convenience and are much more reasonable in their connectivity restrictions? In your examples you knew you were losing internet, why not download beforehand? As I've mentioned both Steam and GfWL have offline modes. I know I'm not going to change your opinion but the arbitraryness of what you will and won't put up with is a bit baffling.

[quote name='davarian']
I thought real gamers would respect being able to purchase a product and install it without being treated like a criminal. From the posts of sarcasm around here, I guess you like your DRM and being forced online to play your single player games. How is Assassin's Creed when Ubi servers go down? Fun times, huh? What about when your Internet goes down for a bit?[/QUOTE]
As real gamers we accept the reality that if we want to actually play most current games we'll have to put up with online activation methods for the foreseeable future. It's noble of you to stick to your beliefs, but it's gonna result in you not getting to play a whole lot of games.

[quote name='Genocidal']
Why do you have to delete a game and redownload it at a later point? Why are you using the most extreme cases, that most gamers are not okay with to explain why you won't use services that provide convenience and are much more reasonable in their connectivity restrictions? In your examples you knew you were losing internet, why not download beforehand? As I've mentioned both Steam and GfWL have offline modes. I know I'm not going to change your opinion but the arbitraryness of what you will and won't put up with is a bit baffling.[/QUOTE]

- I delete games and download them at later points because I only have so much hard drive space. I edit video - large amounts of it - and I don't have room for tons of games sticking around. I have hundreds of games, 50+ of which I probably downloaded digitally. I don't have room to have everything installed.

- I am using extreme circumstances, but they aren't impossible or insanely rare. I am using all examples of which I have seen and/or gone through myself.

I am seeing here that most people love Steam, maybe that's why I'm getting so much negative comments. I agree that Steam is AWESOME in the fact that you have your games wherever you go as long as you have Internet. That is my only problem with it. I have started something on my hard drives similar to Steam, but for myself and for the games I own. It doesn't require an Internet connection, but just requires that I have the drive. I want this for all of my games that I buy. The Steam component/online activation makes this not possible. I'm sure we can agree that this sort of system is great, which is why you like Steam. You simply don't have issues with needing an Internet connection, but I do. I lived without High Speed Internet for years because of where I live. And, I'm sorry, I can't make high speed Internet my number one priority when choosing a place to live. Other things like careers might determine that. It's too unpredictable for me to say that I will ALWAYS have high speed Internet. I'm not bashing any of you for liking Steam; I just want a back-up plan for things I spend money on.

- I didn't download my game before moving because I cannot predict what I will feel like playing in a week's time.

- Unless I am misunderstanding the "offline" mode, you still have to authenticate your game when you first install it. Am I wrong here?

- it's not arbitrary. It's pretty straight forward - I don't want to have to rely on an Internet connection to play my games I purchased, unless it's a strictly ONLINE game.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']As real gamers we accept the reality that if we want to actually play most current games we'll have to put up with online activation methods for the foreseeable future. It's noble of you to stick to your beliefs, but it's gonna result in you not getting to play a whole lot of games.[/QUOTE]

I also accept that reality, and I choose to not purchase those games. If I don't get to play many games out of it, fine. I'm not willing to bend over and do whatever I'm told.

[quote name='cobolatrix']Does Supreme Commander: FA include the original SupCom? I'm seeing some reviews on the site that say so and I wonder if this batch does.[/QUOTE]

No, they don't. Bought it today, activated on steam and only added FA to my account.

[quote name='hal']Oh dear god no...

Sorry for being long-winded and I hope this all sounds constructive. I love the effort from Amazon DD and speaking personally, it's definitely made it a stop on my DD watch.[/QUOTE]

Not long winded at all. I think where the issue comes in is during sale periods like this where the consistent message gets muddled.

For example, the Paradox products were our deal of the week, an established and, to use your word, consistent, promotional vehicle running from Sunday-Saturday. They were labeled such on site and in thread, but there was confusion about when they ended due to the bazillion dates floating around in the OP (that I put there).

I'll definitely be taking the feedback and information I've gathered during this sale to work on a better way to communicate sale parameters.

As always, thanks for your patience as we work through the growth process :).

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='davarian']I LOVE LOVE LOVE GOG, and I LOVE the Amazon Sales that are DRM Free. I love digital everything, just not online authentication for single-player games :).[/quote]
I'm not fond of online authentication for SP-portions of games, but it is what it is...unfortunately. I don't replay many games, as I always seem to be onto the next game.

I think it's ridiculous Diablo III requires the Internet at all times, when you can in fact go solo and finish the game by yourself just fine. I played the D3 Guest Pass (up to Skeleton King of Act 1) and w/ now lure that is actually spoken to you, henchmen talking to you, and emphasis on trying to tell a story, this feels more SP-friendly than ever.

I'm more interested in Torchlight II myself, since many of the Ex-Blizzard guys that worked on Diablo 2 are at Runic. Plus, I was lucky enough to get into the Torchlight II Beta - and it was AWESOME! You can play SP offline; online on Runic's servers; or LAN. I don't know if there will be an activation requirement for Non-Steam versions, but I know it will be sold on Steam and Runic's site.

And there's no guaranteed these games you backlog will work on Windows 8 when that comes out, either. ;)

You're not going to be buying many Triple-A titles, if you don't buy games b/c of their online activation. Many games require Steam; some games require G4WL; and a few EA titles require Origin, for starters...
I didn't even get into some of the games using Securom online activation DRM, Tages online activation DRM, and other DRM garbage...

[quote name='davarian']- I delete games and download them at later points because I only have so much hard drive space. I edit video - large amounts of it - and I don't have room for tons of games sticking around. I have hundreds of games, 50+ of which I probably downloaded digitally. I don't have room to have everything installed.[/quote]
I also would advise you back-up your game installers and patches on CD's, DVD's, or Blu-Ray's - so you can reinstall them.

I am seeing here that most people love Steam, maybe that's why I'm getting so much negative comments. I agree that Steam is AWESOME in the fact that you have your games wherever you go as long as you have Internet. That is my only problem with it. I have started something on my hard drives similar to Steam, but for myself and for the games I own. It doesn't require an Internet connection, but just requires that I have the drive. I want this for all of my games that I buy. The Steam component/online activation makes this not possible. I'm sure we can agree that this sort of system is great, which is why you like Steam. You simply don't have issues with needing an Internet connection, but I do. I lived without High Speed Internet for years because of where I live. And, I'm sorry, I can't make high speed Internet my number one priority when choosing a place to live. Other things like careers might determine that. It's too unpredictable for me to say that I will ALWAYS have high speed Internet. I'm not bashing any of you for liking Steam; I just want a back-up plan for things I spend money on.
Steam has an offline mode.
Though, you do have to one-time activate your game via Steam, if it's new to your Steam account or new to another PC of yours.
Also, if there's a new update for your game, there's a chance it could be forced upon you, like it or not...

- Unless I am misunderstanding the "offline" mode, you still have to authenticate your game when you first install it. Am I wrong here?
Yes. If you're buying through Steam or registering a game through Steam, you won't notice this - it'll be done then and there.

- it's not arbitrary. It's pretty straight forward - I don't want to have to rely on an Internet connection to play my games I purchased, unless it's a strictly ONLINE game.

I also accept that reality, and I choose to not purchase those games. If I don't get to play many games out of it, fine. I'm not willing to bend over and do whatever I'm told.
I prefer the one-time activation stuff over the "always online DRM" stuff.
At least w/ one-time activation, once activated, I can play the game....at my own whim. If my Net is OUT, though my game was activated a before that, I'm still good to go for the SP portion of the game. :D
With "Always online DRM", your connection has to be working and so does the company's game server.

[quote name='cobolatrix']Does Supreme Commander: FA include the original SupCom? I'm seeing some reviews on the site that say so and I wonder if this batch does.[/QUOTE]

That was some sort of special cd-key that did that - I know because I used one and got SC as well :)

[quote name='mjontrix']That was some sort of special cd-key that did that - I know because I used one and got SC as well :)[/QUOTE]

When I did register my FA key from Amazon DVG onto Steam a while back, it gave me both SupCom + FA. :)
There's been a few recent reports of people here today in this thread using FA keys on Steam...and only getting FA. :(
Hopefully, Steam or AmaxonDVG will have a cheap deal on SupCom [original] for them soon. :D

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Not long winded at all. I think where the issue comes in is during sale periods like this where the consistent message gets muddled.

For example, the Paradox products were our deal of the week, an established and, to use your word, consistent, promotional vehicle running from Sunday-Saturday. They were labeled such on site and in thread, but there was confusion about when they ended due to the bazillion dates floating around in the OP (that I put there).

I'll definitely be taking the feedback and information I've gathered during this sale to work on a better way to communicate sale parameters.

As always, thanks for your patience as we work through the growth process :).

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Can I suggest some graphics? I notice you guys have some nice graphics for your deal of the week stuff. It may be too much work for whoever does those graphics, but a graphic clearly stating "Deal of the Week from July 8 to July 14" might get the message across clearer.

It might be tougher for these changing longer sales period, but for example, there's no indication in the OP that the THQ bundle is this week's Deal of the Week other than the dates. Some people get the message when they hear "weekend" "week" "daily" etc.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Can I suggest some graphics? I notice you guys have some nice graphics for your deal of the week stuff. It may be too much work for whoever does those graphics, but a graphic clearly stating "Deal of the Week from July 8 to July 14" might get the message across clearer.

It might be tougher for these changing longer sales period, but for example, there's no indication in the OP that the THQ bundle is this week's Deal of the Week other than the dates. Some people get the message when they hear "weekend" "week" "daily" etc.[/QUOTE]

So to be clear, your suggestion is that, "Deal of the Week" is not clear enough without a bounded time on the graphic.

adding the "from July 8 to July 14" would definitely crowd the graphic too much, but what do you think about "Ends Sunday" or "Ends 7/14 (or whatever the end date is)".

Thoughts?

Hal, want to chime in as well?

Not sure this is a solution for the ever-changing deals during events, but it sounds like a workable solution for deal of the week.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']So to be clear, your suggestion is that, "Deal of the Week" is not clear enough without a bounded time on the graphic.

adding the "from July 8 to July 14" would definitely crowd the graphic too much, but what do you think about "Ends Sunday" or "Ends 7/14 (or whatever the end date is)".

Thoughts?

Not sure this is a solution for the ever-changing deals during events, but it sounds like a workable solution for deal of the week.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea to me. More information is always helpful!

But I think it is important to mention that there need not be a revolutionary change to how Amazon is doing things. Part of the issue that occured with the July sale concerns not only in the scope of Amazon´s sale and the number of publishers involved creating complexity, but also the fact that a lot of people are motivated to wait as long as possible because they do not know when your competitor will go forward with its sale.

Most of the time people will see the sale price and decide then whether they will like and either purchase the item or not. But because people dont know what price your competitor may offer for the same good during its expected sale, more folks than normal might be inclined to delay longer than is prudent.

Coupled with this is that some people may have a form of decliner´s remorse. They either subconciously read into your post a later end date, have gotten the dates mixed up, forgotten about the end date, or conciously decided to hold off to see what the other sale might bring. Now that the sale price is no longer available, they feel bad.

I guess what I´m trying to get at with this long-winded post is that because of the circumstances involved, I question whether any change on Amazon´s part would have prevented the same confusion with some of your customers. But, fortunately, this set of circumstances is probably going to be rare.

Also, sales always have the risk of selling out before the anticipated expiry of the sale. Even for digital goods. Just look at Arma II: Combined Ops or the sell-out of the preorder keys on GMG. So if you wait, you run the risk of not getting the item you want at the price first offered.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']So to be clear, your suggestion is that, "Deal of the Week" is not clear enough without a bounded time on the graphic.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Right now, the OP doesn't mention any deal of the week (and I'm sure it just got lost in the shuffle due to so many crazy deals this month). I'm not sure if that was the case last week, but for some people just seeing the word "week" sort of triggers more of a reaction than seeing dates. Right now it just lists the THQ Pack but doesn't specifically state that is the deal of the week.

So I think a graphic that says "Deal of the Week" is fine (you could really just use some of the graphics you guys already put up since I think they look pretty good) and then you could just add the date under the graphic each week. Maybe adding "New Deal Every Sunday" or something will drive the point home even more.

And then maybe you could have them make another generic graphic for "Other Deals Running Right Now" and another for "Pre-Order Deals." That way your OP isn't just lines of text and the graphics will break it up into sections.

I do agree that for these longer changing sales it's just not feasible to be making new graphics for everything, but at least putting it in the other deals section and maybe stating dates may change/vary will put people on notice.

I've noticed Amazon in general is awful at setting time parameters for their prices so I usually just buy when the price is right since I know somewhere behind the scenes computers are running algorithms and reacting to markets to determine dynamic pricing. I think in the DVG market, people are used to steam and countdowns and schedules for deals so they expect that. Also, it was just a stroke of bad luck recently with some of the deals not falling through how you planned so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Right now, the OP doesn't mention any deal of the week (and I'm sure it just got lost in the shuffle due to so many crazy deals this month). I'm not sure if that was the case last week, but for some people just seeing the word "week" sort of triggers more of a reaction than seeing dates. Right now it just lists the THQ Pack but doesn't specifically state that is the deal of the week.

So I think a graphic that says "Deal of the Week" is fine (you could really just use some of the graphics you guys already put up since I think they look pretty good) and then you could just add the date under the graphic each week. Maybe adding "New Deal Every Sunday" or something will drive the point home even more.

And then maybe you could have them make another generic graphic for "Other Deals Running Right Now" and another for "Pre-Order Deals." That way your OP isn't just lines of text and the graphics will break it up into sections.

I do agree that for these longer changing sales it's just not feasible to be making new graphics for everything, but at least putting it in the other deals section and maybe stating dates may change/vary will put people on notice.

I've noticed Amazon in general is awful at setting time parameters for their prices so I usually just buy when the price is right since I know somewhere behind the scenes computers are running algorithms and reacting to markets to determine dynamic pricing. I think in the DVG market, people are used to steam and countdowns and schedules for deals so they expect that. Also, it was just a stroke of bad luck recently with some of the deals not falling through how you planned so I wouldn't get too worried about it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said but I have a question. Are you suggesting that I add images to the OP?

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I agree with everything you just said but I have a question. Are you suggesting that I add images to the OP?

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Yessir. Not a crazy amount or crazy big, but just one or two to sort of define the sections. Not sure if there is something behind the scenes here or at Amazon that might prevent you from doing so, but even embedding the ones on this page I think might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sv_vg_8?ie=UTF8&node=979455011

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yessir. Not a crazy amount or crazy big, but just one or two to sort of define the sections. Not sure if there is something behind the scenes here or at Amazon that might prevent you from doing so, but even embedding the ones on this page I think might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sv_vg_8?ie=UTF8&node=979455011[/QUOTE]

I'd never thought of doing that before...I'm going to now though. Good suggestion.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Soooo... Syndicate is no longer on sale? For some reason, I coulda sworn that game was on the 7/1-7/14 list?[/QUOTE]

This was a miscommunication on my part. I updated the OP at one point but it sounds like you missed it.

Sorry man :(. This is actually the topic of the current discussion.

Cheers,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back