Amazon selling new White Vitas for 199.

Looks like the same package that I got from Cowboom last year. 

Nifty little machine, that Vita. 

Just got mine. What you get is a white OLED model in an UNSEALED basic box. Obvious re-packs of the bundle.

nyqq.jpg

irkd.jpg
So are they used or new?

I'm sure they are new, they are just gutted. Meaning Sony or Amazon or a 3rd party took off the outer AC: Liberation sleeve and opened the box to remove the memory card and game card.

Yeah that seems strange to me.

It's strange that Amazon sold a surplus of these as "new" without stating that they were gutted from the AC Liberation bundles... but it's not strange that that is how they arrived.

Especially because there was no announcement of a new white OLED sku from Sony so the only reasonable explanation was that they gutted the AC Liberation bundles.

Would it be possible to b-itch to Amazon that it isn't "new" cause it isn't sealed in an effort to get a free memory card? XD
Anything is possible.

If I wasn't happy with my purchase (theoretical) I would just return it. You knew it wasn't coming with a memory card. You should have known there was a chance they'd be gutted---but if you didn't I don't see where "credit" is going to make you feel better.

Anything is possible.

If I wasn't happy with my purchase (theoretical) I would just return it. You knew it wasn't coming with a memory card. You should have known there was a chance they'd be gutted---but if you didn't I don't see where "credit" is going to make you feel better.
I don't think the average customer would have expected them to be gutted. Although the box is defo gonna be Collector's Edition LOL

I don't think the average customer would have expected them to be gutted. Although the box is defo gonna be Collector's Edition LOL
No it's not... that's the same box that all Vita' come in. They just have a sleeve over them.

Most consumers aren't going to notice or care though.

Yeah... what Sony should have done is the same thing that MS does when it takes standard 360's, opens them, and sticks vouchers/games inside and then calls them "Holiday Bundles" and that is just put another seal over the cut seal. For 99% of consumers that is enough.

I did buy a BF Vita via Newegg on eBay as a second vita to use when traveling and it was gutted. I'm guessing it was a Walking Dead bundle or something like that and they opened it and removed games/memory cards and then shipped it to me as the seals were cut as well

What new features? This has been mentioned once before? That it's smaller and lighter? That the battery lasts a little longer due to a different screen? Or the start/select being revamped? As someone with decent sized hands, the only thing improved to me is the start/select.

To my knowledge there's literally nothing else changed.
Battery life is doubled to 6 hours and it charges off a standard USB cable at 1 amp while playing. Both are very, very good changes if you actually use a Vita while traveling. The rear touchpad/grips have more space between them so you'll get fewer unwanted inputs on the back (which matters a lot with remote play). And it's thinner and lighter.

The notification indicator is supposedly on the top now, so no more blinking blue PS button flashing in your face as you try to play in the dark. That's super distracting and one of my biggest pet peeves with the 1000 hardware.

The folks on here who've purchased imported 2000's love them. As someone who hates he blotchy blacks and oversaturated colors of OLED's, I'm actually excited for the change to LCD and hope 2000's release stateside soon. I realize I'm in the minority there, but the other changes are no brainer positives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery life is doubled to 6 hours and it charges off a standard USB cable at 1 amp while playing. Both are very, very good changes if you actually use a Vita while traveling. The rear touchpad/grips have more space between them so you'll get fewer unwanted inputs on the back (which matters a lot with remote play). And it's thinner and lighter.

The notification indicator is supposedly on the top now, so no more blinking blue PS button flashing in your face as you try to play in the dark. That's super distracting and one of my biggest pet peeves with the 1000 hardware.

The folks on here who've purchased imported 2000's love them. As someone who hates he blotchy blacks and oversaturated colors of OLED's, I'm actually excited for the change to LCD and hope 2000's release stateside soon. I realize I'm in the minority there, but the other changes are no brainer positives.
I'm with you there. It's no knock on the OLED, mind you. But the extra battery life, USB charger and more ergonomic design have me pretty psyched for the 2000's. Not excited enough to pay the extra $50-ish to import one, though.

Looks awesome, but I still remember how damn dirty my white PSP 2000 and GO kept getting.
I'm gonna hold out for a red or blue one
Umm. What? How could a white controller or handheld possibly get 'dirty'? Nearly everything electronic I own is white. Every iPhone, iPad, Vita, PSP, white controllers, and so on. None have ever been 'dirty'.

Umm. What? How could a white controller or handheld possibly get 'dirty'? Nearly everything electronic I own is white. Every iPhone, iPad, Vita, PSP, white controllers, and so on. None have ever been 'dirty'.
Sometimes white plastic "yellows".

Look at a lot of the older Macintosh computers / keyboards / mice.

Anyone think we'll see some good deals or at least nice bundles in the near future? If there fading out the oled vitas maybe we'll see them go on clearance to make room. Hopeful thinking on my part

I'm with you there. It's no knock on the OLED, mind you. But the extra battery life, USB charger and more ergonomic design have me pretty psyched for the 2000's. Not excited enough to pay the extra $50-ish to import one, though.
Same here. I want the 2000 model more, but not enough to spend extra especially considering I got my Vita with certs and gift cards. Now if Sony happens to launch the 2000 within my return period or pretty darn close, I may return and then buy the 2000 when it comes out.

Sometimes white plastic "yellows".

Look at a lot of the older Macintosh computers / keyboards / mice.
I don't think that will be the case here. Just like most white tech devices these days (i.e. iPad, iPhone, other smart phones) the white plastic is actually under a layer of glass or plastic and is not prone to discolor because it's never exposed to the elements.

So I got mine. And its the same box they show on the listing page -- It does appear to be gutted from the Ass Creed bundles. Not sure why they would gutt the bundles though and just sell the system.

So I got mine. And its the same box they show on the listing page -- It does appear to be gutted from the Ass Creed bundles. Not sure why they would gutt the bundles though and just sell the system.
Confirmed, it is definitely just the interior box from the AC bundle.

y3mg.jpg

nyqq.jpg

irkd.jpg

Do you get all of the other shit with it, or just the Vita?

I have a feeling this'll go down to like $149 soon

Do you get all of the other shit with it, or just the Vita?

I have a feeling this'll go down to like $149 soon
It would come with everything a new vita would come with; it was just opened to remove the memory card and AC Liberation game card. And of course they took of the outer sleeve because that advertised the AC Liberation bundle.

I'm not sure though why they just didn't keep these intact.

So I called them just now and complained about the system being part of an old bundle yet sold as "new". The rep said they totally understood, and placed me on hold for 5min. They came back and said they looked into and I was correct. They said they could either let me return it, or offer a discount. They gave me 30% off. So I ended up paying $140 for the white OLED. I'm a happy guy atm. So it might be worth calling if any of you all feel tricked also.

So I called them just now and complained about the system being part of an old bundle yet sold as "new". The rep said they totally understood, and placed me on hold for 5min. They came back and said they looked into and I was correct. They said they could either let me return it, or offer a discount. They gave me 30% off. So I ended up paying $140 for the white OLED. I'm a happy guy atm. So it might be worth calling if any of you all feel tricked also.
good deal. amazon is a reputable company

good deal. amazon is a reputable company
Why would you feel tricked? Many people stated this wasn't a new sku and it was highly likely you would get what you got. Which by the way was a new Vita which I think is what you ordered..... so what are you complaining about again? That it was opened?

Umm... you realize that most of the Xbox Holiday bundles are standard consoles that are opened, have vouchers/games put inside, get resealed and then a sticker gets put on the outside of the box.

Would you have felt better if they just put a second seal over the packaging?

But with that being said..... If you're remotely interested in this I would buy before they put the listing under review due to all the "OMG I was tricked" complaints start to trickle in.

The rep wouldn't know anything about the difference (and why would it matter) between the standard pack and the bundled pack, Amazon basically gives you free money anytime you ask them.

Ok I'm just going on what the rep said. And honestly (believe me or not) I had hope it was actually a sealed box. I purchased before I read all the speculation of what it was. I'm just OCD like that. I never buy gutted games at Gamestop for this same reason.

Here's what I think of this situation. Many CAGs despise eBayers or Craiglisters when they list stuff as "Brand New" but opened. This is basically the same thing, but because it's Amazon, it's okay. The items that are listed as new, but opened at least state that they do not have a seal on them, but the item itself is actually brand new. Either there's a problem with those or there's a problem with Amazon, you can't say that one is okay, and one isn't.

Here's what I think of this situation. Many CAGs despise eBayers or Craiglisters when they list stuff as "Brand New" but opened. This is basically the same thing, but because it's Amazon, it's okay. The items that are listed as new, but opened at least state that they do not have a seal on them, but the item itself is actually brand new. Either there's a problem with those or there's a problem with Amazon, you can't say that one is okay, and one isn't.
But would it have been better if AZ had just put a second seal over the cut one?

I mean most new nintendo consoles (2DS, Wii U) don't even have seals...

And stop denying the fact that on every page people stated it would be virtually impossible and very unlikely for Sony to release a new sku without some sort of press release.

Where did you think these came from? I'm not saying it's okay just because it's Amazon what I'm alluding to is it seems more likely the buyers in these threads are the typical "I'm going to buy this and hope something is wrong so I can bitch and moan and get it for even cheaper" mentality.

If you're upset for whatever reason just return it. How does getting credit from Amazon make you feel better?

Those who ordered BF bundles from Newegg that ended up with opened consoles have a lot more to bitch about because they had no reason to suspect they would receive opened items. With this particular one that is was you should have expected because everyone was basically saying that.

But would it have been better if AZ had just put a second seal over the cut one?

I mean most new nintendo consoles (2DS, Wii U) don't even have seals...

And stop denying the fact that on every page people stated it would be virtually impossible and very unlikely for Sony to release a new sku without some sort of press release.

Where did you think these came from? I'm not saying it's okay just because it's Amazon what I'm alluding to is it seems more likely the buyers in these threads are the typical "I'm going to buy this and hope something is wrong so I can bitch and moan and get it for even cheaper" mentality.

If you're upset for whatever reason just return it. How does getting credit from Amazon make you feel better?

Those who ordered BF bundles from Newegg that ended up with opened consoles have a lot more to bitch about because they had no reason to suspect they would receive opened items. With this particular one that is was you should have expected because everyone was basically saying that.
I was never denying that this is a new SKU without a press release and I'm not saying it wasn't expected that they would be unsealed. But, if you expect it to be opened, what is the difference with eBayers listing items they've never touched, except for removing the wrapping?

I was never denying that this is a new SKU without a press release and I'm not saying it wasn't expected that they would be unsealed. But, if you expect it to be opened, what is the difference with eBayers listing items they've never touched, except for removing the wrapping?
That isn't what people complain about---especially on eBay where most poeple don't use stock images. What gets people riled up is when someone lists something as new and then in the description puts "Daughter used it a few times... didn't like so now we are selling it".

This is no different then what Gamestop does with new games and apparently that is legal because they keep on doing it. Would gamestop retroactively give someone credit because they received a "new--opened" game?

That isn't what people complain about---especially on eBay where most poeple don't use stock images. What gets people riled up is when someone lists something as new and then in the description puts "Daughter used it a few times... didn't like so now we are selling it".

This is no different then what Gamestop does with new games and apparently that is legal because they keep on doing it. Would gamestop retroactively give someone credit because they received a "new--opened" game?
Agree, this is absolutely annoying on eBay. Filter to "New", then wade through all the used ones all over again. The description for "New" clearly states "Sealed, unopened". There is a "New, other" for display models, etc but that gets abused as well.

Was not sure what to expect from this weird Amazon deal but sealed or not was happy to get it at this price. They had over 500 at the start and now have 135 left after 4 days, so they are not having any problem selling them.

Maybe there are more complaints about used opened product sold as new on eBay, but I've definitely seen people complain about brand new listings that are opened. I'm pretty sure I've seen CAGs see a listing on Amazon Marketplace listed as new and says "shrink-wrap removed" and say that it shouldn't be listed as new since the wrap is off.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the GameStop gutting, but that's a totally different situation since they actually take out the discs and sometimes scratch them in the process. They also apparently allow employees to borrow these "new" games.

Maybe there are more complaints about used opened product sold as new on eBay, but I've definitely seen people complain about brand new listings that are opened. I'm pretty sure I've seen CAGs see a listing on Amazon Marketplace listed as new and says "shrink-wrap removed" and say that it shouldn't be listed as new since the wrap is off.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the GameStop gutting, but that's a totally different situation since they actually take out the discs and sometimes scratch them in the process. They also apparently allow employees to borrow these "new" games.
Totally agree. If Amazon is selling this, then they should specifically state they are gutted, because buyers are going to naturally assume brand new AND sealed, so it's Amazon's error. And as far as Ebay, don't sell a new game with the wrapping off as brand new (and not mention it), or a collector is going to hit you with negative feedback. The value of the item plummets once the plastic is removed (doesn't matter if game has never been played). Heck, if the wrapping has any tears, the collector is going to be pissed if you don't mention those, since that significantly reduces the intrinsic value as well. That's how sellers justify selling highly rated sealed VGA titles for large premiums on Ebay.

This reminds me of when I saw a "brand new" copy of some game I was looking for. And the description was all like "New!! I just removed the shrink warp off of it and put the disc in once to make sure it would work for you before selling it".

And it's like... Well if it was shrink wrapped, why WOULDN'T it work?  I didn't bite on that auction. But it was funny.

This reminds me of when I saw a "brand new" copy of some game I was looking for. And the description was all like "New!! I just removed the shrink warp off of it and put the disc in once to make sure it would work for you before selling it".

And it's like... Well if it was shrink wrapped, why WOULDN'T it work? I didn't bite on that auction. But it was funny.
You just described pretty much 90% of "new" Craigslist/ebay auction descriptions.

Why would you feel tricked? Many people stated this wasn't a new sku and it was highly likely you would get what you got. Which by the way was a new Vita which I think is what you ordered..... so what are you complaining about again? That it was opened?

Umm... you realize that most of the Xbox Holiday bundles are standard consoles that are opened, have vouchers/games put inside, get resealed and then a sticker gets put on the outside of the box.

Would you have felt better if they just put a second seal over the packaging?

But with that being said..... If you're remotely interested in this I would buy before they put the listing under review due to all the "OMG I was tricked" complaints start to trickle in.
To me, there's a difference between the manufacturer themselves repackaging those bundles and re-sealing vs a retailer doing the same. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing when Microsoft does the holiday bundles they don't just ship the boxes to stores and expect them to repackage their existing units and games into the new box (I could be wrong on this), but rather send them the bundles directly. For me I guess I trust the condition of the items more when it comes directly from the manufacturer.

I probably would trust Amazon in this case, but if Best Buy or Gamestop were doing this, I guess I would just be more suspicious whether anything else was going on before the units got repackaged. Maybe that's a bit unfair since most employees I've dealt with at those places seem like nice people, but it's just bad impressions from a long time ago (knowing about some GS employees taking home the opened-but-selling-as-brand-new games to "borrow" even though they're not supposed to) that still leave a bad taste.

To me, there's a difference between the manufacturer themselves repackaging those bundles and re-sealing vs a retailer doing the same. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing when Microsoft does the holiday bundles they don't just ship the boxes to stores and expect them to repackage their existing units and games into the new box (I could be wrong on this), but rather send them the bundles directly. For me I guess I trust the condition of the items more when it comes directly from the manufacturer.

I probably would trust Amazon in this case, but if Best Buy or Gamestop were doing this, I guess I would just be more suspicious whether anything else was going on before the units got repackaged. Maybe that's a bit unfair since most employees I've dealt with at those places seem like nice people, but it's just bad impressions from a long time ago (knowing about some GS employees taking home the opened-but-selling-as-brand-new games to "borrow" even though they're not supposed to) that still leave a bad taste.

How do you know Amazon did this? For all you know, and what is more likely, they were sent to Amazon this way from Sony.

The difference to me is Amazon is a gigantic online retailer whereas everything that it is getting compared to has the human element. With eBay sellers and Gamestop, there is a huge likelihood that the item has been played before. With Amazon, I don't think there is.

Don't forget the half life of OLED is substantially less and degrades over time. I believe most manufacturers list LCD half life at about 100,000 hours or more. While OLED half life is estimated at about 30,000 hours. That sounds like a lot, but consider half life means time until half brightness,

Don't forget the half life of OLED is substantially less and degrades over time. I believe most manufacturers list LCD half life at about 100,000 hours or more. While OLED half life is estimated at about 30,000 hours. That sounds like a lot, but consider half life means time until half brightness,
I'm not in the field but I recall OLED/LCD is measured when all pixels are on at full brightness. I always keep my Vita at lowest brightness setting, hopefully that will help.

I'm only gonna be able to play for 30,000 hours? Deal breaker.

No, that's to half brightness.

I'm just stating the brightness on the OLED Vita is substantially faster than an LCD. If you keep your systems around for many years it can be something to consider. I'm not trying to convince anyone that LCD is better or otherwise. It will just maintain (uniform) brightness longer over time and use.

Just having some technical fun b3b :D

You are absolutely correct in terms of the half life of OLED being shorter than LCD.

I've yet to see the newer models up close but it just seems to me the displays are very inferior. The other features are nice imorovements but it seems like the only one that stands out to me is the lighter and thinner upgrade.

I've yet to see the newer models up close but it just seems to me the displays are very inferior. The other features are nice imorovements but it seems like the only one that stands out to me is the lighter and thinner upgrade.
They aren't very inferior from reports. They don't have that same wiz bang pop at first. Which if you are a heavy Vita user will go away over time since the OLED does fade a bit fast(er) compared to the LCD. If you check GAF there are users already reporting some problems with the OLED. They might be overly anal though.

bread's done
Back