Amazon: SMT: Devil Summoner 2 w/ plush $36.99

I'm not sure why people suddenly think this will be a major collectible.

Personally, the instant the box arrives at my home, I'm tearing the plush out of the box and putting it up on our mahoghany entertainment center...

[quote name='willardhaven']Like I said earlier, if it doesn't go up in price for a long while, I'll just open and enjoy. It's a win-win situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm missing something here. Why would you open your second copy if you're already playing the first copy?

LOL...Im TOTALLY opening mine. I just wish that when Amazon says its "SHIPPED" that it actually was. 3 days later and the tracking number they gave me is a no-go with the USPS system. = ( Boo Hoo Imaptient Boy, Boo Hoo.

[quote name='earvcunanan']So... does anyone know if these will be rare/profitable later on? I ask because I saw like 8 of these sitting around at my local GameStop. Clerk says they aren't even for pre-orders... I might pick up a few since, apparently, no one wants them. >=)[/QUOTE]
the games been out for 4 days. i cant wait for 2 years from now someone goes to ebay with their copies and sees other copies selling for only $20

HA

i'm not sure how collectible this will be either, but it's amazing how much those persona 4 pre-order bonus plush and t-shirts are going for (150+) on ebay. Do people really buy this stuff at that price?

I was planning on opening mine but I wont start it anytime soon because my backlog of games is freaking ridiculous. I did just get Killzone 2 from my buddy for $20 too to add on to it even more.

I count that between my PS2, PS3, 360, GC, DS, and PSP I have created around a 50 game backlog! Buying cheap games is addictive...

And besides I still need to finish Tales of Vesperia before moving onto Persona 3 FES & Persona 4. Then Persona later this fall on the PSP will be played immediately.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I was planning on opening mine but I wont start it anytime soon because my backlog of games is freaking ridiculous. I did just get Killzone 2 from my buddy for $20 too to add on to it even more.

I count that between my PS2, PS3, 360, GC, DS, and PSP I have created around a 50 game backlog! Buying cheap games is addictive...

And besides I still need to finish Tales of Vesperia before moving onto Persona 3 FES & Persona 4. Then Persona later this fall on the PSP will be played immediately.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. backloggery.com seems to be made for you.

Wow, mine's in almost flawless condition, #5380. Everything's in the right place and nothing was flipped over or facing the wrong way. The only small issue would be that part of the cardboard insert is not lying completely against the plastic and there is a slight scratch on the front left side of the plastic and a very slight indentation down the center. All in all, I'd say mine came out pretty good, despite what I was sort of expecting.

Also, it turns out it was delivered a day earlier than the estimate but I didn't see it yesterday. I guess it got delivered to the wrong address but, thankfully, whoever got it left it on my doorstep today. Now, off to the closet it goes. Who knows when I'll get to it. :whistle2:#

Got mine today and evrything looks great. # 24917 I'll probably pop this open on down the road when my backlog shrinks some or when my girlfriend sees the plushie.

[quote name='earvcunanan']So... does anyone know if these will be rare/profitable later on? I ask because I saw like 8 of these sitting around at my local GameStop. Clerk says they aren't even for pre-orders... I might pick up a few since, apparently, no one wants them. >=)[/QUOTE]

Unlikely. There are at least 50,000 of them out there and who knows how many game only versions if they actually do a second pressing.

in the long run, What might become rare is the complete package unopened. The whole thing is a beauty of a package.

how rare do you guys think these will be in a few months? I can't afford to drop the 40 right now but I don't want to have to scour ebay when I want to play this.

I think the price will be low at first. there are a lot of people who bought these to resell for an easy profit. They don't want to sit on them for a while and will dump them for a loss. just my .02

[quote name='bigl523']So question: is the game even any fun?[/QUOTE]

It's gotten good reviews so far. I'm hoping to dig into it this weekend.

[quote name='bigl523']So question: is the game even any fun?[/QUOTE]

I asked the very same question a few pages back. :) This is a really big thread...

The review average is 84% at Game Rankings. Good, not great. It really depends on whether you like this genre and setting.

Speak of the devil (get it? the game is "Devil Summoner"? are you with me?), GameSpot just posted their review.

The Good

• Fun and strategic combat system
  • Quirky and fascinating hard-boiled detective mystery
  • Robust devil and weapon fusion systems.

The Bad

• Poor pacing makes for uneven gameplay
  • Awful camera makes exploration confusing.

I want to play it, but even though they say you don't have to play the first, I am one of those gamers that can't live with themselves if they don't play it in sequence, and I never finished the first part. Dammit.

[quote name='Sentinel']I asked the very same question a few pages back. :) This is a really big thread...

The review average is 84% at Game Rankings. Good, not great. It really depends on whether you like this genre and setting.

Speak of the devil (get it? the game is "Devil Summoner"? are you with me?), GameSpot just posted their review.

The Good

• Fun and strategic combat system
  • Quirky and fascinating hard-boiled detective mystery
  • Robust devil and weapon fusion systems.

The Bad

• Poor pacing makes for uneven gameplay
  • Awful camera makes exploration confusing.
[/QUOTE]

I think someone said this earlier, but 84% for a non-Square-Enix JRPG is an excellent average.

I got mine today. I wish Atlus would stop sealing their collectors' items with that awful sticky tape. It left a ton of residue on the box. Luckily, Goo Gone is amazing.

Unfortunately all the Square-Enix RPGs deserve nothing beyond a 7/10 (if they're lucky) since games like FFX and Kingdom Hearts 2. And even FFX wasn't life-changing for me.

So Square-Enix has no more street cred to refer to on the subject of "good" JRPGs unless discussing PS1 and earlier days.

On another note, I want the plushie. I wish more companies would follow Atlus' stead and start packaging actually interesting collectibles like Atlus has been doing lately with their Atlus Spoils theme.

Still waiting for my copy to ship out from amazon -__-.

Sure is taking long. Luckily, I rented the game from Gamefly and I've been playing the game for a few days already.

A very fun game actually with an intricate battle system that make the frequent random battles more palatable than it was in the previous entry. The story tie-in with the idea of "luck" proves to be a interesting story element while providing a series of game mechanics that you haven't seen before in other RPGs.

Overall, although I'm only two chapters in, I'm fairly impressed with the game and would recommend it to any RPG fans- don't let the PS2 platform fool you, it's a more enjoyable experience than most of what's out on the current platforms.

[quote name='Tigresa']Unfortunately all the Square-Enix RPGs deserve nothing beyond a 7/10 (if they're lucky) since games like FFX and Kingdom Hearts 2. And even FFX wasn't life-changing for me.

So Square-Enix has no more street cred to refer to on the subject of "good" JRPGs unless discussing PS1 and earlier days.
[/QUOTE]

image.php

Got mine today. One more SMT game to throw on the backlog :) with DDS 2 and Nocturne. Some day I will have the time...

I am tempted to keep mine in unopened condition, but I've been bitten too many times by 'rare' Atlus games to really care (how much is Metal Saga these days? $5?)... that said the P4 Social Link pack (which I also bought) is at $116 on Amazon, assuming anyone would be crazy enough to pay that.

[quote name='tigresa']unfortunately all the square-enix rpgs deserve nothing beyond a 7/10 (if they're lucky) since games like ffx and kingdom hearts 2. And even ffx wasn't life-changing for me.[/quote]

twewy?

[quote name='Tigresa']Unfortunately all the Square-Enix RPGs deserve nothing beyond a 7/10 (if they're lucky) since games like FFX and Kingdom Hearts 2. And even FFX wasn't life-changing for me.

On another note, I want the plushie. I wish more companies would follow Atlus' stead and start packaging actually interesting collectibles like Atlus has been doing lately with their Atlus Spoils theme.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I meant that the western gaming media tends to favor Square-Enix titles (mainly FF and Kingdom Hearts), while more niche JRPGs generally get lower scores than they deserve.

mine just shipped via free one day. I just complained why ppl were already receiving theirs and mine didnt ship and they did a free upgrade. to bad ups doesn't ship sundays. =(

I just got mine yesterday afternoon. I drove home from work in a freaking rainstorm from hell. I walk up to the front porch, and there is the package covered in a clear garbage bag to protect it from the rain. Yet, it was still sitting in a puddle on the porch. ARGH. I was freaking out as the box was pretty damp on one side but no worries, the Game Box itself was in perfect condition.
The problem is, the damn thing looks so pretty in the box, I don't want to take it out.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
image.php
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to find out sooner rather than later that you lack any sort of intelligence. *claps*

[quote name='Sentinel']twewy?[/QUOTE]

I loved TWEWY (though it was short!) but I was talking about console games, should have been more specific. :]

[quote name='Maromi']Maybe I wasn't clear, but I meant that the western gaming media tends to favor Square-Enix titles (mainly FF and Kingdom Hearts), while more niche JRPGs generally get lower scores than they deserve.[/QUOTE]

I wish it weren't so, but it is true. Gamers are jaded by old games like FFVII for what seems like will be forever. The output lately just doesn't hold up to the quality of the overall experience of these older gen games though anymore. Atlus seems like they stand a chance at becoming the new top dog in this genre, they're all over this.

On another note, I want the plushie. I wish more companies would follow Atlus' stead and start packaging actually interesting collectibles like Atlus has been doing lately with their Atlus Spoils theme.[/QUOTE]

So, "life changing" or 7/10 (if they're lucky) and game devs have street cred Got it thx

.[/QUOTE]

completely disagree..as final fantasy VI was and is, IMO, one of the best RPGs of all time. Though dated, it has one of the best story lines in any RPG and the characters are the best in any of the Final fantasy series. Of course kingdom hearts 2 and ffx wouldnt have any impact on you, as their stories are bland. Agreed that NOW A DAYS square enix has been going down hill, but if you grew up in the SNES days, you would think different. (or maybe you did? dunno)

anyway getting off topic..i'm still waiting for my DS2 to come..with SSS it takes forever..the 20th cant come sooner.

[quote name='Tigresa']I'm glad to find out sooner rather than later that you lack any sort of intelligence. *claps*
[/QUOTE]

Apparently someone can't take a joke over the internet. Good for you!

[quote name='bigsick']completely disagree..as final fantasy VI was and is, IMO, one of the best RPGs of all time. Though dated, it has one of the best story lines in any RPG and the characters are the best in any of the Final fantasy series. Of course kingdom hearts 2 and ffx wouldnt have any impact on you, as their stories are bland. Agreed that NOW A DAYS square enix has been going down hill, but if you grew up in the SNES days, you would think different. (or maybe you did? dunno)[/QUOTE]

I grew up in the NES age and had FF on my SNES as well. And FFVI came out way long before FFX and Kingdom Hearts 2, I said games after that.

Has anyone found themselves lost in this game yet if they haven't played the original? Or are you all veterans?

[quote name='Tigresa']I grew up in the NES age and had FF on my SNES as well. And FFVI came out way long before FFX and Kingdom Hearts 2, I said games after that.

Has anyone found themselves lost in this game yet if they haven't played the original? Or are you all veterans?[/QUOTE]

I didn't care for the original and I'm finding this a million times better so far.

I actually went and started playing the first one after seeing the "you get bonus items if you have a save from the first game!" line. I don't care how miniscule it is, I want my bonus item.

[quote name='aegisol']I actually went and started playing the first one after seeing the "you get bonus items if you have a save from the first game!" line. I don't care how miniscule it is, I want my bonus item.[/QUOTE]

Crap that means I have to get my save file on my PS3 now. Always a pain.

A kind gamefaqs user posted a DS1 save for us PS3 owners:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/save/929098.html

[quote name='aegisol']I actually went and started playing the first one after seeing the "you get bonus items if you have a save from the first game!" line. I don't care how miniscule it is, I want my bonus item.[/QUOTE]

Although the items you get are negligible (it's just worth some money), the fact that a lot of the demons you recruited previously will join you automatically when you get to the right levels is a nice plus that saves you a lot of time.

Consider that Gamestop alone operates over 5000 stores in the US, if each store received just 5 units of it, that's 25,000 plushies out there. Combine that with amazon.com, amazon.ca, gamecrazy, bestbuy.com, walmart.com (I don't rememeber the stores that carries them from the email), there are bound to be quite a few out there. Did we really expecte the number to be lower? This was for first print and I don't think their first print wold be anything less than 50,000. Expecting this to be limited to 10,000-30,000 is not very realistic.

bread's done
Back