Amazon's Holiday Deals Calendar: Cyber Monday Deals Week

In previous years, weren't the Deal Calendars fleshed out and at least detailed for at least a week? This year was really lame compared to previous years for Amazon.  

It's like I went in all prepped but witnessed very little in the way of games and movies I was interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me this year's Amazon Deal Calendar was just terrible.There was no advanced warning like in past years.Stuff got pulled and then stuff would be added when you didn't expect it last minute.I looked everyday for one item and then when I checked the schedule it wasn't listed for that day so I went to a family members house for several hours then when I get back the item had been put up and sold out.

It also seemed like a lot less items were even up per day this year.

For me this year's Amazon Deal Calendar was just terrible.There was no advanced warning like in past years.Stuff got pulled and then stuff would be added when you didn't expect it last minute.I looked everyday for one item and then when I checked the schedule it wasn't listed for that day so I went to a family members house for several hours then when I get back the item had been put up and sold out.
It also seemed like a lot less items were even up per day this day.
This.

In previous years, weren't the Deal Calendars fleshed out and at least detailed for at least a week? This year was really lame compared to previous years for Amazon.

It's like I went in all prepped but witnessed very little in the way of games and movies I was interested in.
Yep. So much for "Black Friday Deals Week," where only two days out of the week had any gaming deals.

Amazon was absolutely atrocious this year.  They had a lot more random deals pop up throughout the day a few years ago.  This was basically a couple of games every few hours on Thursday and then a few more items on Black Friday.  A really poor showing.  The only game I ended up buying was Sleeping Dogs for $11, but that was mainly because I was buying some Christmas presents and needed to reach $35.

I am holding out hope that they might do something on Cyber Monday or the days following, but as it stands this will be the first year in several that I won't be purchasing multiple games from Amazon on Black Friday.

Amazon has transitioned to Cyber Monday deals week. A few new deals (regular, not Lightning) are up. Including Ragranok Odyssey ACE (PS3) and Tropico 5 (X360) for $19.99. Also saw Lords of the Fallen is down to $39.99.

Amazon has transitioned to Cyber Monday deals week. A few new deals (regular, not Lightning) are up. Including Ragranok Odyssey ACE (PS3) and Tropico 5 (X360) for $19.99. Also saw Lords of the Fallen is down to $39.99.
Actually surprised Lords of the Fallen wasn't down to $25 or $30. Was hoping to pick that up.

I'm kicking myself for missing Mario 3D last night. I was actually fast enough for once to get it in my cart. But I was so used to one click ordering that I forgot to complete my checkout and missed the deal. FML.

Disappointed by Amazon this year. While I was able to snag a 40" Vizio on the cheap, I didn't buy a single game from them. That is crazy compared to years past. I hated how there was no set time for certain deals such as TVs. they would just randomly pop up and be gone in 1-2 minutes. I lucked out with the Vizio. I'm not going to waste the days away glued to the computer mashing F5.

Online store pickup was huge for me this year. I was thinking of plunging into GCU which everyone talks about here but after this lame Amazon experience I might dive in head first.

Best Buy beat the shit out of Amazon as far as video game deals this year. Add in GCU discount, and the ability to pick up in store and it's not even a contest.

Amazon was dissapointing in the videogames department but for electronics and such it was pretty solid.

Just nabbed Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive for $99 with lightning deal and Discover card cash back bonus I had....this isn't one of the external HDDs you can convert to a SSD for the PS4 is it? (probably a ridiculous question but I am tech stupid)

Amazon was dissapointing in the videogames department but for electronics and such it was pretty solid.

Just nabbed Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive for $99 with lightning deal and Discover card cash back bonus I had....this isn't one of the external HDDs you can convert to a SSD for the PS4 is it? (probably a ridiculous question but I am tech stupid)
PS4 and PS3 require 2.5" drives, which means any HDD SSD that's compatible with laptops. Desktop drives are larger in size.

Just nabbed Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive for $99 with lightning deal and Discover card cash back bonus I had....this isn't one of the external HDDs you can convert to a SSD for the PS4 is it? (probably a ridiculous question but I am tech stupid)
nope, that drive is either a 3.5" or 2 paired 2.5" drives. The largest drive the ps4 can currently take is from the seagate 2tb external.

I realize I'm talking in a thread with this off-topic question but this is the main thread I was talking in so I figured I'd ask here. What..the hell..is with people swearing by GCU? Isn't that $120? So everyone, or a lot of people at least, have bought that to save a few bucks here and there on video games? Unless you buy more than like..20-30, I'm not seeing the major advantage here? Someone explain GCU to me (even the Best Buy employees kind of shrug it off for some reason here).

Thanks.

I realize I'm talking in a thread with this off-topic question but this is the main thread I was talking in so I figured I'd ask here. What..the hell..is with people swearing by GCU? Isn't that $120? So everyone, or a lot of people at least, have bought that to save a few bucks here and there on video games? Unless you buy more than like..20-30, I'm not seeing the major advantage here? Someone explain GCU to me (even the Best Buy employees kind of shrug it off for some reason here).

Thanks.
Do math and you can figure it out.

Also it goes on sale all the time.

Most didn't pay $120 for GCU... There were deals for $30, or free with a console purchase. Lots of opportunities to get it cheaper.
I figured that was the case. Because that would be stupid. I'll just have to keep an eye out. I keep hearing about how it's better than PowerUp. Thanks.

Do math and you can figure it out.

Also it goes on sale all the time.
Based on first sentence, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have asked. Based on second sentence, previous poster answered. But thanks.

Well I'll never need to buy a phone from Best Buy...lol. But I will pay attention to when they give sales I suppose and try it out. Thanks for quick answers.

Thanks.
I got my GCU membership for 7 bucks and all in all, I saved roughly an additional $50 bucks on Black Friday with GCU. Given the average Black Friday prices for games, that was like getting an additional 2 games for free. GCU + Black Friday pricing = the best prices to be found on Black Friday.

If you buy GCU for full price ($120), you need to buy more than 10 full priced $59.99 games in a 2 year period before you start seeing legitimate savings.

I got my GCU membership for 7 bucks and all in all, I saved roughly an additional $50 bucks on Black Friday with GCU. Given the average Black Friday prices for games, that was like getting an additional 2 games for free. GCU + Black Friday pricing = the best prices to be found on Black Friday.
So I keep reading. Haha. Thanks. :) I'm aware now I need to pay attention to sales on GCU (which I didn't think was possible) and will be sure to join the elite! I only bought one game on Black Friday, and it was the Mario Kart 8 lightning sale. But maybe it'll be better next year, and I'll have GCU by then. Appreciate it.

Disappointed by Amazon this year. While I was able to snag a 40" Vizio on the cheap, I didn't buy a single game from them. That is crazy compared to years past. I hated how there was no set time for certain deals such as TVs. they would just randomly pop up and be gone in 1-2 minutes. I lucked out with the Vizio. I'm not going to waste the days away glued to the computer mashing F5.

Online store pickup was huge for me this year. I was thinking of plunging into GCU which everyone talks about here but after this lame Amazon experience I might dive in head first.
Yeah, I am right with ya. This is actually the first year I can remember in a LONG time (at least 7-8 years) where I didn't buy a single thing from Amazon. Amazingly, I got everything I wanted and it was actually the smoothest Black Friday I have ever had. I am beginning to wonder is that was because I didn't buy anything from Amazon. Anyways, I still love Amazon and will continue to buy from them on a regular basis, but when it comes to sales like Black Friday, I am going elsewhere until Amazon changes their sales methodology. I have come to absolutely hate the whole lighting deal idea. Amazon just seems completely content to be the retailer that will price match everyone else's deals, but won't actually create any of their own.

Its funny, Best Buy used to be my go to place for Black Friday, but then I slowly switched over to Amazon as they had much better deals. Now its completely swung the other way again. I have to give credit where credit is due, this was an amazing Black Friday for Best Buy. I am 100% thoroughly satisfied. Plenty of stock, great prices, GCU, etc.

Yeah I also didn't buy a single thing from amazon. Price matched kmart at my best buy a few days before bf and avoided lines and parking. And it's good to have the game immediately and on my own time rather than waiting around for a lightning deal and shipping... Such a waste of time

Yeah, I am right with ya. This is actually the first year I can remember in a LONG time (at least 7-8 years) where I didn't buy a single thing from Amazon. Amazingly, I got everything I wanted and it was actually the smoothest Black Friday I have ever had. I am beginning to wonder is that was because I didn't buy anything from Amazon. Anyways, I still love Amazon and will continue to buy from them on a regular basis, but when it comes to sales like Black Friday, I am going elsewhere until Amazon changes their sales methodology. I have come to absolutely hate the whole lighting deal idea. Amazon just seems completely content to be the retailer that will price match everyone else's deals, but won't actually create any of their own.

Its funny, Best Buy used to be my go to place for Black Friday, but then I slowly switched over to Amazon as they had much better deals. Now its completely swung the other way again. I have to give credit where credit is due, this was an amazing Black Friday for Best Buy. I am 100% thoroughly satisfied. Plenty of stock, great prices, GCU, etc.
Similar situation here too. I used to always go to best buy 6-7 years ago. Then the past several years I always did all my shopping on Amazon. Amazon used to lead by creating the good deals and price matching where necessary. This year it feels like they've offered a grand total of 5 deals. This year I've bought one thing total. A measly $20 vita memory card. I don't know why at this point I'm still hoping to see a better deal on the PS4 Bundle or ps plus on Amazon cyber Monday. There is no indication that they are even trying to offer really good deals.

If I don't see the PS4 bundle with a bonus gift card or one year ps plus or even ps plus for $30 again I'm just not buying anything this year.

actually ext and internal same hd for 2tb but ty for playing.
The reason everyone gets the external over the internal drive is drive height. The external contains a drive with a height of 9.5mm, while the internal drives are 11mm tall. The clearance in the ps4 is 9.5mm. Obviously there are other drives that meet the clearance requirements but the only 2tb is the samsung m9t which is currently only available in the seagate external. The 4tb seagate contains 2 2tb 11mm drives in raid 0.

That's all you needed to say.

If a game was $59.99 and didn't pay taxes, you would have saved around $4 or $5 plus gas. Now that is gone so everyone is hating on amazon. Let's keep it real here.
I live in RI and we still pay no tax on Amazon. If a game is $59.96 that's what i pay. I don't get the amazon hate either but i'm one of the lucky ones still. They always have amazing customer service and if they screw up they throw $5-10 amazon credits at me all day long.

They priced matched nearly every game i was gonna get at Best buy on thanksgiving morning so it worked for me. And of the 3 games i got on BBs website, 2 of them were price matched later on by amazon.

Hell best buy always screws me and im done with them except for clearance/deals. They've canceled my BB mastercard 2 different times on 2 seperate black fridays, my birthday is STILL wrong on my reward zone despite 4 times telling me they fixed it, all my preorders set for store pick up have either not been there or had the wrong game held (i e. I ordered a special edition and a regular edition was held numerous).

Also my first preowned game from them was UMvC3.. well i go to pick it up... it was regular MvC3.. i opened it in store cuz i had a feeling it would be wrong. So they try to give me grief saying i opened it so i cant return it and then said my $10 credit i used would be returned... a month passed without it so i called and they tried to say i used it already. Thankfully i kept all emails to prove them wrong. But yea i am done with them for main purchases. Amazon all day.

I live in RI and we still pay no tax on Amazon. If a game is $59.96 that's what i pay. I don't get the amazon hate either but i'm one of the lucky ones still. They always have amazing customer service and if they screw up they throw $5-10 amazon credits at me all day long.

They priced matched nearly every game i was gonna get at Best buy on thanksgiving morning so it worked for me. And of the 3 games i got on BBs website, 2 of them were price matched later on by amazon.

Hell best buy always screws me and im done with them except for clearance/deals. They've canceled my BB mastercard 2 different times on 2 seperate black fridays, my birthday is STILL wrong on my reward zone despite 4 times telling me they fixed it, all my preorders set for store pick up have either not been there or had the wrong game held (i e. I ordered a special edition and a regular edition was held numerous).

Also my first preowned game from them was UMvC3.. well i go to pick it up... it was regular MvC3.. i opened it in store cuz i had a feeling it would be wrong. So they try to give me grief saying i opened it so i cant return it and then said my $10 credit i used would be returned... a month passed without it so i called and they tried to say i used it already. Thankfully i kept all emails to prove them wrong. But yea i am done with them for main purchases. Amazon all day.
Well that's their first time I've heard someone price matching on Amazon successfully for video games....Good for you

Well that's their first time I've heard someone price matching on Amazon successfully for video games....Good for you
Amazon usually just matches other retailers for their BF deals. He didn't mean that he got them to match those items specifically for him. The deals themselves were just matching other retailers.

All the hate for amazon is because of taxes. Amazon has been price matching for years on BF and everyone loved it. Now the narrative is how amazon sucks because all they do is price match... because now most people pay taxes.

All the hate for amazon is because of taxes. Amazon has been price matching for years on BF and everyone loved it. Now the narrative is how amazon sucks because all they do is price match... because now most people pay taxes.
Taxes should be illegal. Amazon is being unpatriotic by charging taxes.

Taxes should be illegal. Amazon is being unpatriotic by charging taxes.
I love the sarcasm.

On a serious note, the big winner of amazon charging taxes is best buy. Their sales have suddenly increased as the playing field was leveled.

I don't hate Amazon. I'm just not as fond as it, as I used to be.

Though, I am quite fond of their Gift Cards that you can get from Bing searching.

Back when AmazonTony first started dropping deals w/ Amazon Digital Division, they did more than just price-match. They were also often trend-setting, beating others (like Steam, Gamersgate, etc) w/ their prices. Amazon was beating others to the punch very often. They were pro-active, not re-active to what for sale-pricing was going on.

And others (like Steam, who were much popular) were following their lead, in terms of what to later put out for sale-prices.

If Best Buy and Walmart didn't run to the government and bitch and moan that Amazon doesn't charge taxes we might still have had a tax-free Amazon. Hilarious dude's are trashing Amazon and praising Best Buy and Walmart when these two companies teamed up on Amazon.

Sounds like the Best Buy on RT 2 in Warwick I used to go to all the time before finally having enough. Would find a way to screw up the simplest of transactions. Like you, I now do most of my business through Amazon, and yes, no tax is awesome.

bread's done
Back