American Idol, Season 8 (Tuesdays and Wednesdays on FOX at 8 p.m.)

I liked Johns and Carly Smithson as well. That girl had some pipes and I think the combination of the judges being overly harsh and her face-tatted husband's mug all over the screen doomed her. Singing "Jesus Christ Superstar" was the last straw as that was a highly controversial song back in the day. If she had any hardcore religious people voting for her, she lost them there.

[quote name='javeryh']I think the judges have been unfairly critical of Syesha. I'd rather see her in the final 2 instead of David A. She has been doing a nice job in a genre of music I typically can't stand. It was also unfair to criticize her song choices other that "Fever" (which worked for Madonna but somehow isn't contemporary?) because she didn't pick the other 2. [/quote]

I think Syesha has been dumped upon all season long, and last night they were actually relatively nice to her. Randy dogged her all season, and Simon never seemed to like her until last week. Randy complimented her vocals this week, which was odd to hear because he usually criticizes the hell out of her even when she's good.

And then she had to ruin that goodwill by doing a cabaret version of "Fever". Simon can't stand cabaret, so she lost whatever bump she could have gotten from him. Syesha is strong with Broadway-type numbers, and I liked it, but this was totally the wrong week for that.

So, really, Syesha blew it. David Archuleta was weak this week, and his song choice was terrible. She could have knocked him out. Instead, she wrote her ticket back to Tampa.

And deservedly so. As soon as she mentioned "Fever", I knew exactly what the judges would say. Same as when she picked "I Believe". Utterly stupid song choices for this show, and an appalling lack of judg(e)ment. I went into last night hoping she'd do well and knock out David Archuleta, but now I feel dumb for getting my hopes up.

Maybe it's for the best. She belongs on Broadway. David Cook will win. And David Archuleta will be the next Diana DeGarmo.

[quote name='chasemurata']On a lighter note, Syesha looked very attractive last night. :hot:[/QUOTE]I am not positive, but I think she's been in my dreams lately. She gets hotter every week!

I'll be shocked if she isn't gone tonight though. There could always be a Daughtry-style shock elimination, but I feel like it's actually better for her if she leaves tonight. If she went into the grand finale, she'd get all this resentment from the masses of David fans and people would feel like she didn't belong there.

IMO David A is perfectly suited for the Josh Groben audience. He does have a great voice imo, but it is not my style nor what I believe is Americain Idols style. My wife love listening to him, but then again she loves groben voice as well.

I thought syesha was the best of the show last night. David Cook was solid, but didn't have his best performances of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6llCXSi6w4

So this is supposed to be Idol-caliber? God, I thought after last season they were PROMISING to up the ante on the talent, but holy christ, this is semi-finals material? This guy is even worse than the shitfest that was Jordin and Blake, et al from last season. I'm so glad I didn't watch this season at all. Chris Brown's voice isn't even that good, but this guy doesn't come close. This David Cook character is a lot better than him. Syesha is also a lot better. (Just looking at the YouTubes.)

Just accept David Archuleta's going to win.

Don't mean to spoil it for ya, but Syesha is voted off tonight. WHOOPS.

[quote name='dboy81']I liked Johns and Carly Smithson as well. That girl had some pipes and I think the combination of the judges being overly harsh and her face-tatted husband's mug all over the screen doomed her. Singing "Jesus Christ Superstar" was the last straw as that was a highly controversial song back in the day. If she had any hardcore religious people voting for her, she lost them there.[/quote]

I was pissed when Michael Johns and Carly Smithson were eliminated. I had them, and David Cook, as the best three talents in the show. For them to be cast away by the audience before that damned Jason Castro just further solidified how much of a popularity contest is this show. The thing about Castro is that he didn't even have any personality. I just didn't 'get it'. I guess there are a ton of teenage girls out there voting every week.

[quote name='chasemurata']I was pissed when Michael Johns and Carly Smithson were eliminated. I had them, and David Cook, as the best three talents in the show. For them to be cast away by the audience before that damned Jason Castro just further solidified how much of a popularity contest is this show. The thing about Castro is that he didn't even have any personality. I just didn't 'get it'. I guess there are a ton of teenage girls out there voting every week.[/quote]

I've got no sources to back this up, but my guess is that half the voting they get is from teenage girls.

[quote name='Plinko']I've got no sources to back this up, but my guess is that half the voting they get is from teenage girls.[/QUOTE]

Or their moms who still wish they were teenage girls.

There are a lot of them out there nowadays.

Who would've guessed it: David vs. David? Shocker.

Should be a good finale. I think Archuleta will win, but that doesn't mean he's the better talent. Because he isn't.

[quote name='Ender']Who would've guessed it: David vs. David? Shocker.

Should be a good finale. I think Archuleta will win, but that doesn't mean he's the better talent. Because he isn't.[/QUOTE]

The producers/record company will shit their pants if Archuleta wins; he has almost no talent, is fugly, and is completely unmarketable. Taylor Hicks pt 2.

David A has talent...granted it isn't what I like to listen to, but you can't argue that he doesn't have a great voice.

I do agree he isn't marketable to the americain idol audience, but there is a niche market that he can flourish in. It just won't bring in the money that they producers/record company are looking for over a long term.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The producers/record company will shit their pants if Archuleta wins; he has almost no talent, is fugly, and is completely unmarketable. Taylor Hicks pt 2.[/quote]

archuletta and his inevitable album will at least go platinum simply due to the mommy crowd and young girls.

i think david cook might pull out a win though.. who knows

[quote name='Plinko']I've got no sources to back this up, but my guess is that half the voting they get is from teenage girls.[/quote]

I would not doubt it at all.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Or their moms who still wish they were teenage girls.

There are a lot of them out there nowadays.[/quote]

Hahaha... nice burn, DoK. :lol:

[quote name='Ender']Who would've guessed it: David vs. David? Shocker.

Should be a good finale. I think Archuleta will win, but that doesn't mean he's the better talent. Because he isn't.[/quote]

It's now the battle of Stage Dad's Paycheck vs. Total Package. Hehehe... ;)

That video of Archuleta returning to his hometown and only middle school girls coming to his event reminded me of something I learned while teaching this year:

If a middle-school student thinks something is great, it's actually not.

WTF was up with Fantasia's crazy performance?

The shot of Cowell with his mouth hanging open near the end was CLASSIC. Then Simon and Randy gave each other a look when the performance ended. Even Paula looked a little nonplussed. I was definitely rewinding the DVR to watch those reactions a few times each. :rofl:

The dude that was up in the crow's nest at one point appeared to be just making up words as he went along.

I loved it.

Man, the song choice's by the producers were awful on every level. I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing? Really? Of all the fucking songs David Cook could sing, that's the one you've determined would be the best one?

[quote name='wubb']WTF was up with Fantasia's crazy performance?

The shot of Cowell with his mouth hanging open near the end was CLASSIC. Then Simon and Randy gave each other a look when the performance ended. Even Paula looked a little nonplussed. I was definitely rewinding the DVR to watch those reactions a few times each. :rofl:

The dude that was up in the crow's nest at one point appeared to be just making up words as he went along.

I loved it.[/quote]

Damn, I missed that portion of the show. I guess I'll have to give it a download to see the glory I missed. :hot:

[quote name='evanft']Man, the song choice's by the producers were awful on every level. I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing? Really? Of all the fucking songs David Cook could sing, that's the one you've determined would be the best one?[/quote]

So the producers chose the songs of the night? Interesting. Oh, and I agree about the selection of I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing: absolutely predictable. But Cook did it well, regardless.

[quote name='wubb']WTF was up with Fantasia's crazy performance?

I loved it.[/quote]

I was wondering if anyone else saw this last night, I thought it was pretty funny when they showed Simon's dumbfounded look during that performance. It was classic.

[quote name='chasemurata']
So the producers chose the songs of the night? Interesting. [/QUOTE]

Each contestant sang 3 songs

1) Judge's choice
2) Contestant's choice
3) Producer's choice

[quote name='chasemurata']I was pissed when Michael Johns and Carly Smithson were eliminated. I had them, and David Cook, as the best three talents in the show. For them to be cast away by the audience before that damned Jason Castro just further solidified how much of a popularity contest is this show. The thing about Castro is that he didn't even have any personality. I just didn't 'get it'. I guess there are a ton of teenage girls out there voting every week.[/quote]

I disagree with this.

Popularity factors into Idol votes, but a lot of things do. While teenage girls might vote early and often, I don't think they're enough to overcome the influence of everyone else.

DialIdol, which is not scientifically accurate or provable, is good at showing trends and big picture results, and it has consistently shown David Cook ahead of David Archuleta. The show tends to imply the opposite. But the show is often coy about things it doesn't explicitly state.

Idol is a singing competition, but the goal of the show is to "find the next American Idol". Singing matters, but so does stage presence, the songs chosen, and the image the singer projects.

Should that matter? Yes. Case in point: Carly

Carly has a tremendous amount of vocal talent. But she needs Andrew Lloyd Webber to tell her what songs to sing. Would you want to go to a concert where the singer can't pick suitable songs and doesn't seem to grasp what kind of artist she is? You can hate on David Archuleta all you like, but I don't think anyone would have a hard time imagining what one of his CDs or concerts would be like.

Let's not romanticize Carly or Michael Johns, either. Remember Carly's angry, shrieky song on inspirational night? Remember when she ruined "Total Eclipse of the Heart", which is a difficult song to screw up? That, plus the lack of self confidence she'd display is enough for anyone to question her. Not whether or not she can sing, but whether or not she can deal with the pressure and demands of live performance.

Check out Fantasia. That was an utterly weird piece of music, and as Paula would say, that was "not really a singer's song". But while I really didn't care for the song, Fantasia went for it and didn't let up. I wouldn't call it good, but that wasn't from lack of effort, or nerves, or lack of confidence.

Contrast that with Syesha attempting Rihanna, all the while looking like she's thinking "Um, should I really be singing this song?" Syesha's performance felt like it was missing something vital. Fantasia's was perhaps missing an actual song, but the performance didn't miss a beat. That's an Idol. Someone who can perform an utterly dreadful mess and turn it into something compelling. As opposed to someone who can take a compelling song and turn it into a dreadful mess.

(Simon's reaction was my favorite thing of the night. It totally made up for the disappointment that Fantasia, one of Idol's best singers, didn't actually get to show what she could do musically.)

Remember Michael Johns being totally awesome on Beatles night? But the rest of the time, he was thoroughly average. I liked his song choices, but he really didn't bring anything new to the songs. Except pitch problems, notes he couldn't hit, and the general reminder that he wasn't as good as the original singers on any of the songs he chose.

Michael Johns' job was to convince everyone that he's the American Idol. I liked him, and I really liked his Beatles song, but the rest of the time I'd much rather listen to Best of Queen. That's not good. I think he ended up convincing everyone that David Cook, whose voice was similar, was a lot more interesting.

If you really want to get upset at something, get upset at the judges, or even the instruments. Either one of them had more of an effect than the teenage girl army.

Randy has been a disgrace this year. In years past, he's been a midway between Paula's sunshine and Simon's crankiness. But this year, he's been a total Archuleta fanboy, and he dumped on both Carly and Syesha. Simon was merciless to both Carly and Syesha, and didn't start giving them their due until it was too late to help them.

I think that both Randy and Simon had their hoped pegged on David Archuleta early on, based on his promise and the dollar signs they saw. I think they also wanted a male instead of a female (which is why Carly and Syesha would get raked over the coals even on performances of theirs that were very good). Over the course of the season, though, I think it's become obvious that David Archuleta is not as perfect as they were wishing him to be, and far more gooey and treacly than Simon would ever want to associate with. Simon has backed off, sensing another Taylor Hicks in the making, while Randy has been oblivious, proclaiming every performance to be "the bomb" and "in the zone". The Twilight Zone, maybe.

In terms of singing, this has not been my favorite Idol year. But in terms of TV and the meta-show, it's been pretty interesting. I think David Cook will win, but I do confess wanting to see David Archuleta win, not for the CD he'll make next year, but the one he'll make five years from now, after his Angry Rebellious phase.

I stopped watching after Carly got voted off.

It was bullshit that Brooke, Jason, and Syesha were all three still on after Carly when she was 20x better then the three of them put together.

I still have the show set to record each week, so last night I turned on the elimination show just to see Syesha get booted (we all knew after Carly and Mikey-boy were gone it would be a battle of the David's) and that Fantasia performance was horrid.

I hate David Cook because of how smug he looks and acts, but I cant deny that he is a good singer.

David A. is ok, but nothing about him screams that he's great. Something about his voice annoys me...and I just cant put my finger on it.

SimonWTF4661a.jpg

Simon: WTF?!

Just curious about what everyone thought the single best performance was this year.

I think I've got to go with David Cook's song on Mariah Carey night. I was stunned at how he took that song and turned it inside out. It was pretty awesome.

Castro's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was up there as well. Those are probably my favorite two.

Seems cliched to say it but I think David Cook singing "Billie Jean" was one of the most memorable. That final "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii am the one" was amazing.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I LOOKED AT THE YOUTUBE for Fantasia's performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgInnS9_ako

That was awesome. :lol:[/quote]

Wh-what... What did I just watch? I am so confused right now. :shock:

[quote name='wubb']Each contestant sang 3 songs

1) Judge's choice
2) Contestant's choice
3) Producer's choice[/quote]

Ah yes, this happens pretty much every year. I should have remembered. Thanks.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Seems cliched to say it but I think David Cook singing "Billie Jean" was one of the most memorable. That final "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii am the one" was amazing.[/quote]

Cook's take on Billie Jean is my favorite as well. It was one of his performances that got me to like him.

And blandstalker, you make a good argument. I can't refute it. Well composed, sir. :)

Well, I think 2 things are apparent:

1) David Archuleta will win. I personally like Cook better, but Archuleta seems to have that "Gee golly, guys, I'm so thankful!" attitude that older people seem to love. The judges seem to be trying to influence the fan vote as well. IN Archuleta's first song, he was clearly flat for the first part when he was sitting on the steps. None of the judges made any reference at all.

Plus, Simon's last comment of Archuleta scoring a "knockout" seemed a bit out of place.

2) Paula Abdul needs to go. Randy Jackson needs to go. Both are worthless.

[quote name='chasemurata']
Cook's take on Billie Jean is my favorite as well. It was one of his performances that got me to like him.
[/QUOTE]

Just youtubed this. It's fucking fantastic!! I thought it would always prove to be a fuck-up whenever someone tried to sing MJ in their own way, but that was amazing. I hope he wins.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just youtubed this. It's fucking fantastic!! I thought it would always prove to be a fuck-up whenever someone tried to sing MJ in their own way, but that was amazing. I hope he wins.[/quote]

He copied Chris Cornell's version.

Randy has the absolute worst taste in music. WTF is up with his love of the phone book?

[quote name='javeryh']He copied Chris Cornell's version.

Randy has the absolute worst taste in music. WTF is up with his love of the phone book?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard the Chris Cornell version in forever so I didn't realize. But by lawd did David Cook sound fantastic anyway.

I hear they are going to implement a number of changes for the next season. The first official change is some results shows will only be a half hour long (can't remember source for this, but it was legit). Hopefully the second change is to fire Paula and Randy. Simon is really the only judge needed, and if they hired replacements, I'm sure they'd find some way to fuck it up.

The judge reactions sealed it. There is no ambiguity, Archuleta wins. Cook will do a Chris Daughtry, and be successful on his own.

I thought David Cook had three solid performances and that the only reason why the judges didn't like it is because they weren't mainstream songs, which is a poor way to grade.

[quote name='chasemurata']I thought David Cook had three solid performances and that the only reason why the judges didn't like it is because they weren't mainstream songs, which is a poor way to grade.[/quote]

I agree but American Idol is about as mainstream as you can possibly get which is why something like "Hello" or "Billie Jean" will go over 1,000,000 times better than "The World I Know" even though I thought last night's performance was one of his best and the song suited him perfectly (as did Clive's choices for both guys - he must really have an ear for that stuff, eh?).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I would probably purchase an album of David Cook's if it is up to the caliber I have heard from him. It's their loss if he doesn't win.[/QUOTE]Actually don't they still make money off of all the finalists, regardless of which one actually wins? I forget how it works but I believe everyone who makes the Top 12 gets roped into some sort of contract. I'm just nit-picking your use of the phrase "their loss." :p

[quote name='BustaUppa']Actually don't they still make money off of all the finalists, regardless of which one actually wins? I forget how it works but I believe everyone who makes the Top 12 gets roped into some sort of contract. I'm just nit-picking your use of the phrase "their loss." :p[/QUOTE]

True, but I don't think all of them get full album contracts. I'm sure David Cook will, but they will work their hardest to promote Archuleta, who fucking sucks and will likely bomb like Taylor Hicks, who already was dropped from the label several months ago. Meanwhile, pretty much everyone else in that season who got their own albums are faring much better. So it is kind of their loss in that sense.

EDIT: Ok, I just realized that while I greatly enjoy Weird Al's parody of "Do I Make You Proud?", "Do I Creep You Out?", I'd never heard the original. So I went to the Youtubes. How did this guy win? Weird Al has a better voice.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree but American Idol is about as mainstream as you can possibly get which is why something like "Hello" or "Billie Jean" will go over 1,000,000 times better than "The World I Know" even though I thought last night's performance was one of his best and the song suited him perfectly (as did Clive's choices for both guys - he must really have an ear for that stuff, eh?).[/quote]

"The World I Know" was a hit. I remember it being all over radio, though David Cook's version was different enough to make it sound like "I think I've heard this song before, but I'm not sure".

I had to watch "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" twice. The first time I was surprised at how much praise the judges heaped on it, and I didn't think it was all that. Then I watched it again, not actually watching David -- just listening. It was better than I expected.

Thinking about it, I have to conclude that I'm just not invested in wanting David Archuleta to win. Part of a good performance is wanting to be amazed or swept away or wanting the artist to knock it out of the park. I've found my David Archuleta bias -- I simply don't care about him.

Thinking about it some more, I guess this is the result of a season's worth of treacly songs that don't involve me on any level. On the other hand, I rather like David Cook's song choices and I want him to do well. David Cook's "The World I Know" was amazing. Totally him, yet fragile and real at the same time.

I don't know what to do about this. Clearly, I am not a fair judge of David Archuleta. He seems nice enough, but I am not moved by him as an artist at all. I find myself in the disconcerting position that I should appreciate the quality of his vocals, but I just don't.

That said, I also totally don't get Simon. Two years ago, with Katherine McPhee, he told her that she shouldn't have re-sung one of her best songs, as it wasn't as fresh. This time, he tells David Cook he shouldn't have sung an amazing song, but should have done a retread instead.

I can't figure out if 1) Simon wanted David Archuleta to win, 2) Simon was attempting to use reverse psychology to get people to vote for David Cook, or 3) He was saying what he actually, truly believed.

None of those choices really make sense to me.

My mom just phoned me in shock. LOL. I wasn't watching and was working on a paper for school. Good. She voted for Cook at least though. I'm so glad that little shit lost.

LOL looking at Google News for stories, this is pretty much the definition of "fair and balanced" reporting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...21_david_cook_voted_american_idol_winner.html
Archuleta, though, boasts a subtle rasp to his sound that shades his more boyish tones and gives him a hint of soul.

Archuleta also connects to his material in a more probing way, tapping into the darker well of feeling that his doll-like visage obscures. In the end, he's both a better, and rarer, singer than Cook. Which means that - at least in this election - American voters got it stone cold wrong.
:rofl:

Wow, there's a shocker. I loved both of them, though, so I would have been happy regardless of who won. Here's hoping they both go on to have amazing singing careers.

bread's done
Back