Anarchy Reigns $29.99 (PS3/360)

[quote name='kayne2000']given the game is 30 dollars i doubt a complete edition is going to come about.[/QUOTE]Naughty Bear got a "gold edition" even though it only sold 15 copies.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Please let me know of any game that released at $30, hell $40 and had It's price increased as a promotional price? I am not talking out of stock and letting el hoardo dictate the prices either.[/QUOTE]Most recently Yakuza 4 was $40 the 1st 2-4 weeks of release @ BB before going up to $60.

[quote name='Enuf']Naughty Bear got a "gold edition" even though it only sold 15 copies.

Most recently Yakuza 4 was $40 the 1st 2-4 weeks of release @ BB before going up to $60.[/QUOTE]

touche

that said i rather enjoyed the 2 hours of it i just played online.

[quote name='Derrick1979']This game is not good... should of stayed delayed... Ugh for the $30 I spent on this today I should of bought Batman Ac:GOTY Edition for the same price......

Im up for trading this if someone is that hell bent on needing this digital trash'[/QUOTE]

What a thoughtful post!

This is a good game. If you like slaughtering enemies, you'll dig it. Without it's online, it's a pretty basic hack 'n slash.

MP takes a bit of time to get used to. You can't treat players online like you treat trashy AI units in the campaign.

The online is solid and doesn't lag. It's not the best combat engine, by a long shot... but it's passable. If you get ganged, you're gonna die. You need to put yourself in situations where you can make quick escapes if you need to and don't let yourself turn into fodder for people outside charging up heavy attacks.

mine worked bro. i redeemed it at about 3pm pacific today, no issues. the code included both bayonetta and some multiplayer mode. sry for ur bad luck

[quote name='Velo214']bayonetta dlc from gamestop is broken on ps3. yes for everyone?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Velo214']bayonetta dlc from gamestop is broken on ps3. yes for everyone?[/QUOTE]

Mine worked, I got the code yesterday morning but it was broken until psn updated.

EDIT: I also redeemed it through SEN login instead of psn.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']Don't buy this.
http://www.ripten.com/2013/01/08/ripten-review-anarchy-reigns-360/
Here’s the Rundown:
+ Steve Blum and Jon Curry deliver strong performances
- Glitches and hit detection problems
- Shallow combat
- Broken matchmaking
- Story makes no sense, possibly due to lazy localization
- Forced grinding
- Some characters seem to be “borrowed” from other games
- Racist content[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the game is bad, but that was a terrible review. No wonder I've never heard of that site before. I assume you linked that because you wrote it, as no self-respecting person would otherwise pay it mind.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I'm sure the game is bad, but that was a terrible review. No wonder I've never heard of that site before. I assume you linked that because you wrote it, as no self-respecting person would otherwise pay it mind.[/QUOTE]

"I" wrote it? WTF? That's about as stupid as me saying you're a developer for the game because you're bashing the review. Way to go!

So, to the people that have played it, is it worth 30, or should I wait for the possible price drop? Do you think it'll be rare? I'm not a flipper, I just like really weird, obscure games.

Well my copy of the game shipped but they messed up my order and shipped me the PS3 version. When I contacted them they said I ordered the PS3 version but my invoice from the original order said I ordered the Xbox 360 version.

This whole process has been a cluster. When I get me copy they better have codes still available for 360 when I return it in store.

I truly hate Gamestop now days.

[quote name='tuffguycore']So, to the people that have played it, is it worth 30, or should I wait for the possible price drop? Do you think it'll be rare? I'm not a flipper, I just like really weird, obscure games.[/QUOTE]

I found it to be pretty fun and have not experienced any glitches or bad hit detections like that review said. I say if your going to buy it go with a mind set that the game is not a AAA Title and you will enjoy it.Plus after your done with the campaign and if you can convince some buddy's to get a copy as well, you can find some enjoyment from the variety of game modes EX:Survival,Battle Royal,Death Ball, Cage Match,DogFight,Team DeathMatch,Etc...
I usually buy games without reading reviews because everyone has different taste in gaming and some of the games that tend to do poorly in review I have found them to be good.

Here’s the Rundown:
- Shallow combat
- Broken matchmaking
- Forced grinding
- Racist content[/QUOTE]

LMAO of course there are "borrowed characters" it is madworld 2 and a DLC character you get for preordering is fine in my book. Worst review/run down ever. Overall if you liked Madworld do not listen to the reviews I enjoy the game quite a bit. Rent it if you are still over skeptical but it atleast deserves that.

Here’s the Rundown:
- Shallow combat
- Broken matchmaking
- Forced grinding
- Racist content[/QUOTE]

At this point I've learned to avoid reviews from "journalists"

They're way too blinded by that whole "GAMES ARE ART" thing. They forgot that games are suppose to be fun.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']At this point I've learned to avoid reviews from "journalists"

They're way too blinded by that whole "GAMES ARE ART" thing. They forgot that games are suppose to be fun.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree, except it seems to be that they see pretentious games as art instead of seeing that they're actually pretentious. Anarchy Reigns is closer to a piece of absurdist art than any "art game" is close to actual "art" (however people define that scary, scary word nowadays). It's a game where a group of people decided "let's fist as many tropes as we can into this crazy action game." The end result is a pretty goofy campaign with a combat system highly reminiscent of Streets of Rage and Final Fight to a certain extent, with bigger enemies requiring more strategy and good timing with combos. I find the enemy variety rather clever and some of the scoring challenges are clearly designed to be played in an intelligent game. The campaign, at least on hard mode, really requires you to think to get through certain missions. Your reward is ridiculous banter. Hell, they make an "Over 9000" joke that actually has context. I still thought it was lazy, but I did crack a little smile.

If you like silly action games with a good chunk of variety, I'd suggest it. If you can't take a joke or dislike learning a ton of mechanics rather fast, then skip it. For thirty dollars, though, I don't think a lot of people can go wrong here.

[quote name='Evermind']What's the local versus situation like? Can you do 4 player versus local or is it all online?[/QUOTE]From what I read in the Destructoid review (8.5/10), there's no split-screen at all. Multiplayer is online-only, which is a shame. :cry:

Well I have finished the Black Side campaign on Hard, and am halfway through White Side om Normal.

Still have yet to hit any glitches, and am still enjoying the game. My only gripe is the multiplayer still being broken as far as matchmaking goes. Other than that, some of these claims seem laughable to me.

Here’s the Rundown:
- Shallow combat
- Broken matchmaking
- Forced grinding
- Racist content[/QUOTE]

I read that review several hours ago and found it pretty funny.

I never had an issue with hit detection and I completed the campaign 3 times.
The combat is "shallow", but it's also meant to be a brawler. Even when you consider that, the game has some depth, since hard mode really requires you to think ahead.
There was probably no one playing, since the game released out of nowhere and had virtually no buzz past costing $29.99 / including Bayonetta.
Story makes sense, it's just not good... huge difference. Jack is asked by Max's daughter to get him back and I believe Jack accepts as a way to justify hunting him down for what he did. The story for Leo is that he was trained by Max and I would assume idolized him, so he wanted to find / clear the name of his idol. Sadly it seems Max went insane at some point and caused all this Anarchy (original name I know... Max (person they're looking for) Anarchy (what he caused)). Sadly most of the finer details aren't shown or in some cases ignored completely, but Platinum Games has proven they can't write a story, which was never a problem in the past...
The game does feature some "forced grinding", but it also lets you have some fun with the world around you and do side missions. I would say it takes MAYBE 20 minutes a level (this is to unlock all the missions) to actually grind out the kills to go to the next area, so not a huge problem either.
Jack, Barron, Mathilda, Big Bull, RinRin are from Madworld and Bayonetta is from Bayonetta. So 6/17 (I think thats the total) are from other games. Also I wouldn't say the Madworld characters were borrowed either, since the game seems to take place after Madworld. (Like Big Bull being nothing more than a brain) I will admit that the other characters are somewhat generic, though Anarchy Reigns is a crazy over the top game where you have Super Sentai Gargoyles (At the end of the asian hoard mode stage, you fight 5 different colored Gargoyles who land in a formation with an explosion going off in the background.), crazy bar bots that flip you off (another final boss in hoard mode) and many other crazy things...
Black Barron was always racist... they just made him a little edgier. I wouldn't say this is a good thing, but I don't think it's anything to hold against the character either.

Even with all this being said, I don't think Anarchy Reigns is an amazing game, but it's around a 7.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Well I have finished the Black Side campaign on Hard, and am halfway through White Side om Normal.

Still have yet to hit any glitches, and am still enjoying the game. My only gripe is the multiplayer still being broken as far as matchmaking goes. Other than that, some of these claims seem laughable to me.[/QUOTE]

is the game easy to get into? or does it have a steep learning curve?

[quote name='YBX87']is the game easy to get into? or does it have a steep learning curve?[/QUOTE]

Easy, but it's extremely easy to die on hard.

[quote name='MetalMegaGio']I found it to be pretty fun and have not experienced any glitches or bad hit detections like that review said. I say if your going to buy it go with a mind set that the game is not a AAA Title and you will enjoy it.Plus after your done with the campaign and if you can convince some buddy's to get a copy as well, you can find some enjoyment from the variety of game modes EX:Survival,Battle Royal,Death Ball, Cage Match,DogFight,Team DeathMatch,Etc...
I usually buy games without reading reviews because everyone has different taste in gaming and some of the games that tend to do poorly in review I have found them to be good.[/QUOTE]

That's all I wanted, was a first hand account. I'm in the same boat, I usually get games that interest me, and this one does, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like Neverdead(interested me, but was just terrible gameplay and almost broken).

I don't mind that it's not a AAA title. Now the question becomes, which system is it better for? I have most of my games on 360 and prefer the controller, but if there's a noticable preformance difference, I'd like to know.

[quote name='tuffguycore']That's all I wanted, was a first hand account. I'm in the same boat, I usually get games that interest me, and this one does, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like Neverdead(interested me, but was just terrible gameplay and almost broken).

I don't mind that it's not a AAA title. Now the question becomes, which system is it better for? I have most of my games on 360 and prefer the controller, but if there's a noticable preformance difference, I'd like to know.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering myself, the Xbox version looks pretty washed out and it takes a pretty long time to properly render areas as you explore a map, so I'm wondering if the PS3 is like that as well.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I was wondering myself, the Xbox version looks pretty washed out and it takes a pretty long time to properly render areas as you explore a map, so I'm wondering if the PS3 is like that as well.[/QUOTE]

Not from my experience with it. Its online seems somewhat active now too, easily getting into 4/8 player matches

[quote name='dgwillia006']Not from my experience with it. Its online seems somewhat active now too, easily getting into 4/8 player matches[/QUOTE]

what version did you get? the ps3 or xbox 360

That Ripten review is amazingly dumb and should be disregarded entirely as it's basically 100% false aside from the voice acting being good.

The story makes enough sense and you aren't playing the game for some mind-blowing theatrical event. They set up fights in entertaining fashion and that's what matters.

There is PLENTY of depth to the fighting, especially in a 2v2 setting as you can bait with your teammate, combo and set them up for their own combo and finish with your own, 360 attacks are punishable, the skill system makes characters quite variable and the various weapons add lots of flair. Tons of multiplayer modes to use that stuff in just makes it that much better.

There are no hit detection problems. More than likely he's just button mashing and getting hit by a 360 attack, which is invincible and he's really bad at the game. Don't just smash buttons or you will die.

There's pretty much no forced grinding unless you are absolutely awful at the game. Getting even a Silver award on any event means you're all of five minutes away from unlocking the next event and any award above that will instantly give you access to the next event.

There's definitely nothing racist and they are dumb.

[quote name='YBX87']what version did you get? the ps3 or xbox 360[/QUOTE]

PS3. Played quite a bit of 4v4 TDM, CTF and DeathBall earlier. So far Deathball seems to be my favorite, since its less about juggling and kills and more about strategy.

And about that crappy review, when he was talking about bad hit detection, I think I might have a slight idea what he was talking about. In one of the fights when I was playing as Baron fighting against Zero/His Ninja's, for some reason I had a REALLY hard time hitting them unless I actually locked on. Other than that, not a single issue I noticed.

Can anyone on ps3 check how many people are ranked in the TDM leaderboards? There's 1,600 here on the Xbox, which can be taken as an indicator of the number of people playing this. I'm wondering if most players are on PS3, if so I may need to sell my xbox version and get ps3.

I'm counting about 7,400 people ranked in just TDM. Honestly, PS3 games just tend to stay active longer. Thats just my personal experience from having played both systems for years.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I'm counting about 7,400 people ranked in just TDM. Honestly, PS3 games just tend to stay active longer. Thats just my personal experience from having played both systems for years.[/QUOTE]

Tis the magic of free online...

[quote name='admiralvic']Tis the magic of free online...[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you heavily, talk of this kind will turn the thread into a shitstorm of PSN Vs Xbox Live.

It was always price marked for $30.. I had been interested in buying it as soon as I heard about it..

And yet I've still to purchase it, oddly enough. :\

[quote name='tuffguycore']which system is it better for? I have most of my games on 360 and prefer the controller, but if there's a noticable preformance difference, I'd like to know.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I was wondering myself, the Xbox version looks pretty washed out and it takes a pretty long time to properly render areas as you explore a map, so I'm wondering if the PS3 is like that as well.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 was the lead platform for this game as well as Vanquish and the upcoming Metal Gear Rising. Therefore, the usual Platinum Games' no screen tearing (fully v-synced) on the PS3 and minor tearing on the 360 rule applies to all three of these games. Bayonetta was a different story as Platinum Games made the 360 version and another company ported it to the PS3; hence the latter was inferior.

[quote name='dgwillia006']While I agree with you heavily, talk of this kind will turn the thread into a shitstorm of PSN Vs Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

what.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Not from my experience with it. Its online seems somewhat active now too, easily getting into 4/8 player matches[/QUOTE]

What I like to know is if the online play supports people from other countries? I've had a bad experience with Warriors Orochi 3 where the US version cannot play with Asian versions. Since this game is actually named differently here and in Asia, it makes me wonder if the servers are actually world-wide servers supporting players anywhere.

I really hoped this had a passable single player campaign and split screen like all Dynasty Warrior games.

And snakemaster you keep bringing up horrible memories of watching the series when I was young.

[quote name='Yamato']what.[/QUOTE]

For some reason whenever I comment on preferring PSN over Xbox Live, it always turns into an argument somehow, even if I'm not still around the board.

And yeah, the Multiplayer lets you play other regions. Thats why some people are mad, the Japanese players are pulling loops and stuff. Also they are INSANELY high ranked in the leaderboards.

[quote name='dgwillia006']For some reason whenever I comment on preferring PSN over Xbox Live, it always turns into an argument somehow, even if I'm not still around the board.

And yeah, the Multiplayer lets you play other regions. Thats why some people are mad, the Japanese players are pulling loops and stuff. Also they are INSANELY high ranked in the leaderboards.[/QUOTE]

Really? Thats funny... they don't share a trophy list, but they share an online? XD

[quote name='admiralvic']Really? Thats funny... they don't share a trophy list, but they share an online? XD[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My first match was against a bunch of level 40's/50's. People on other boards are whining like crazy about all the loops and combo's in Cage Matches and 2v2s.

bread's done
Back