Android Deals Thread V2

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The old thread hadn't been updated in quite some time, so I decided to make a new one. If you happen to see a sale not listed in the OP, go ahead and post it and I will be sure it's added. The same goes for anything listed that has expired as most sales have no set time frame, let me know and I will remove expired sales. Thanks!

Google Play
Ongoing Android Game Sales & Specials
King's League: Odyssey - $2.99 $0.99
Waking Mars - $2.99 $1.99
Worms 3 - $4.99 $0.99
Worms 2: Armageddon - $4.99 $0.99 
Infinite Universe - $5.99 $0.99
Alien Breed - $4.99 $0.99

Miscellaneous Android App Sales & Specials
Nothing of note right now...

Amazon Android Appstore
Free-App-Of-The-Day: 10/9
Alphabet Aquarium Vol 1 - Normal price: $1.99

Sales and Specials
Nothing right now...

Other Sales and Promotions
Nothing right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon Prime music is -really- crappy. You know how Amazon Prime is like the 8th best way to watch TV? Amazon Prime music is like the 50th best way to listen to music.

The selection is pretty bad, the playlists are horrible, and it's a pain to browse for music to add.

After my Prime ended, I had to manually remove every Prime song manually, because it'll try to play them when I play my music library and give an error. It doesn't just skip them. So of course, if I get Prime again, I'll have to manually add everything again.

As for the app itself, it's not bad, but I prefer Play Music still, because it's integrated into the OS better.

I don't suppose it's possible to download and keep mp3's from Amazon Muzak?

Also, how does the Amazon Prime movie library compare to Netflix streaming, given that I do NOT watch TV series? It seems kinda thin...

I don't suppose it's possible to download and keep mp3's from Amazon Muzak?

Also, how does the Amazon Prime movie library compare to Netflix streaming, given that I do NOT watch TV series? It seems kinda thin...
You can't download the Prime songs. You can only stream them.

And yes, Amazon Prime movie library is thin. Their draw is HBO shows (Boardwalk Empire, Six Feet Under) and stuff like House Hunters.

The Amazon Prime movie and TV show selection has gotten a lot better. Many of same popular movies that Netflix has are on there. There's lots of stuff that Netflix doesn't have.

Currently 15,217 movies and 2,010 TV shows.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_85_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A2858778011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011&bbn=2858778011&ie=UTF8&qid=1421976762&rnid=2470954011

They've got a bunch HBO stuff that Netflix doesn't have.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_mg6y2B0000_brwse_p_v?_encoding=UTF8&node=9097393011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=1WVSX98QEXDTRMRACDDG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2016987282&pf_rd_i=2676882011

It really just depends on what you watch. Netflix is probably still the king, but I think Amazon is a close second.

Check out http://instantwatcher.com/ for Netflix releases and http://amazon.instantwatcher.com/ for Amazon releases.

If he's staying close to home it may suit his needs but he said he wants to download not stream. Does limelight allow streaming across networks like slingbox style?

How is Amazon Instant Video the 8th best service in your opinion? My order would be Netflix>Amazon Instant Video>Hulu Plus>????.  I thought their Prime Music service was pretty good. It's a pretty great addition to all the other great content you get with Amazon Prime and they've definitely improved the quality of titles to it since the last time I used it.

How is Amazon Instant Video the 8th best service in your opinion? My order would be Netflix>Amazon Instant Video>Hulu Plus>????. I thought their Prime Music service was pretty good. It's a pretty great addition to all the other great content you get with Amazon Prime and they've definitely improved the quality of titles to it since the last time I used it.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/732385#i0,p212,d0

Are we having a streaming service pissing contest? Who cares, Amazon Prime as a total package is fine for what it is considering really main reason to get it is the two-day shipping. Video and music is a plus, and Prime Video or whatever has things that other services don't have such as Legend of Korra.

I'm sorry you watch that show? I Don't understand how anyone should respond to that...

Well, some people couldn't care less for Prime shipping and the streaming services are the draw - that's what the discussion is about. Like I said before, $72 comes out to $6 a month for both video and music. Comparable services like Netflix runs $8 a month and music subscription $10 a month. I would be very interested in hearing people's experiences with Amazon's music service.

Well, some people couldn't care less for Prime shipping and the streaming services are the draw - that's what the discussion is about. Like I said before, $72 comes out to $6 a month for both video and music. Comparable services like Netflix runs $8 a month and music subscription $10 a month. I would be very interested in hearing people's experiences with Amazon's music service.
If the music is your draw, the selection feels...limited overall. Don't expect anything current from last three months or so (if even), you basically are getting what you paid for, which is a music service that isn't a main priority, but a nice bullet point or bonus to overall package of buying things and a so-so streaming library (though Transparent is fantastic and so are some of their pilot's).

Their video service is nice. They are the only ones to have Viacom/Nickelodeon stuff so it's the only way for me to catch up on Avatar: The Last Airbender. I still say Netflix is better though for overall content. Hulu is best for next day viewing of the newest programs. I'll probably use it next week to check out Agent Carter.

It sucks that I can't watch Amazon video on my android tablet which is why I won't buy the membership (great price though). There is an app for PS3 and Xbox but I still like having more options.  For now, I'll just use the one month trial once a year when it's available - usually during Christmas time.

As far as music goes, I just stick with Spotify. Never tried anything else.

It sucks that I can't watch Amazon video on my android tablet which is why I won't buy the membership (great price though). There is an app for PS3 and Xbox but I still like having more options. For now, I'll just use the one month trial once a year when it's available - usually during Christmas time.
True, there's no Amazon Video app on Android, but you can watch Amazon Prime videos via the Amazon app itself (click on Amazon Instant Video option)

I'm sorry you watch that show? I Don't understand how anyone should respond to that...
Watch like the first scene and you'll understand. I couldn't find a clip of it, so I had to link the whole episode.

Edit: Here, I'll save you guys the ads.

j0Ou8fP.png

1K92i97.png

SzSPOJl.png

True, there's no Amazon Video app on Android, but you can watch Amazon Prime videos via the Amazon app itself (click on Amazon Instant Video option)
I have an instant video app on phone, but it's basically the store app that goes to instant video automatically when opened. I don't think they ever updated the tablet store app to let you watch video directly.

That year of Amazon Prime is tempting. Not because I want to shop on Amazon but because you get their movie and music subscriptions for exactly $6 a month. Has anyone tried their music app on a mobile device?
It's ok. A lot of the big artists still aren't on there. In country for example there is no Toby Keith or George Strait. Sometimes it will have some of an artist's albums and be missing others. I doubt many people on here are huge Fuel fans, but I am. Their first three albums are missing but their last two on are there for an example of what I mean. I am guessing these are a case where an artist or band switched labels. It streams fine for the most part with hiccups probably only when you might get that sort of thing with any streaming service. Sometimes the app seems a bit slow the first time started but that may be loading stuff.

Ultimately we will be canceling when our year is up in February. We ran out of tv shows and while they have a decent movie selection, we got it for the TV shows. There's a lot of comedy central, sci-fi channel, the dumb reality stuff like hoarders, intervention and so on from channels similar to that. I think there was some of the things like Little People or Little Couple, and Dr Po and others where they follow people's lives. They also have all Joss Whedon tv shows.

Free 2 day shipping is really nice. No minimum on most orders is great particularly when you live about 15 miles from Walmart and the other big stores are on the other end of the city from Walmart. However some small items or stuff that has a very low profit margin or possibly none if they shipped it alone are considered add-on items and still require a &$25 minimum order to get free shipping.

It's worth it for a year at $72. We just ran out of stuff we wanted to watch this month. Just view the music as a perk, not a reason to purchase by itself. Might want to go to both their digital music and instant video options and sort by prime only to see if there is enough stuff you want to listen to and watch or if there is an artist or tv series missing that is a deal breaker for you. Plus this way you get a look at the selection.

mostly the game i want to take on the road is marvel puzzle quest. Dont want to restart from day 1

at those prices i might as well just start over
The newer baytrail atom win8 tablets are a lot faster than the old atoms and can actually play games that aren't too demanding. They have a max of 2gb memory and the 3d graphic performance won't be able to handle high end games, but I would think something like marvel puzzle quest would run just fine. The newer low end 7" tablets like the HP stream 7 are less than $100 msrp.

[quote name="elessar123" post="12434396" timestamp="1421972491"]

You can't download the Prime songs. You can only stream them.

The newer baytrail atom win8 tablets are a lot faster than the old atoms and can actually play games that aren't too demanding. They have a max of 2gb memory and the 3d graphic performance won't be able to handle high end games, but I would think something like marvel puzzle quest would run just fine. The newer low end 7" tablets like the HP stream 7 are less than $100 msrp.
Anandtech reviewed the Stream 7 a month back, CPU & GPU charts. It's respectable (tablet) performance for budget price. The CPU in it and the same-damn -thing-but 2GB of RAM CPU are common across a lot of windows tablets and windows netbooks ($250 and less laptops). I'd note that technically the GPU is 1/4 of an (Ivy Bridge) HD 3000, iirc.

I picked up a Stream 7 for $67 before tax just before Thanksgiving. I've played with it some (but a N7 2013 serves my tablet needs). The Stream 7 is neat, and very good value for ~$100. I feel that streaming video is a strongpoint for it, since it is full regular Win8.1 (with Flash). I use Win 7 on desktop/laptop (downgraded from Win 8.0) and Android on Tablet/Phone. The Stream 7 was my first attempt with WIn8.1. The core tablet stuff is there an solid, but outside of the core (shipped-with) apps there doesn't seem to be a lot of Tablet/Metro windows apps. I picked it up out of curiosity.

Edit: I'll also add that it runs surprisingly well for tablet-usage with 1 GB of RAM.

That year of Amazon Prime is tempting. Not because I want to shop on Amazon but because you get their movie and music subscriptions for exactly $6 a month. Has anyone tried their music app on a mobile device?
It's not that great. It has no search functions, so to find an artist you have to scroll through all selections. Selecting "more from this artist" brings up options to purchase other tracks instead of the albums you have already uploaded or added to prime.

You can either select prime albums to add (and then listen to through streaming) or upload your own music.

The only plus is that it doesn't have a 20,000 song limit like Google Play does.

Regarding Amazon Video mobile on Android - yeah it's pretty much junk. I have it, but I don't use it. Their support for the Android market for that feature is bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still keep my Prime (love me my 2-day free shipping and streaming to my TV) - but just wish they gave a darn about us droid users.

bad thing is you have to download STEAM first and not sure if you can since the game runs though steam.

I know unless it was the system but marvel chugged like a SOB on a tab 3

bad thing is you have to download STEAM first and not sure if you can since the game runs though steam.

I know unless it was the system but marvel chugged like a SOB on a tab 3
It's a full version of Windows so you can install Steam. No idea how your game will run, but I can't imagine it would be a problem. Look at some youtube reviews of bay trail tablets playing games. The Asus T100 and the Dell Venue 8 Pro were probably the most popular of the earlier tablets. I think the newer bay trails may have slightly higher clock speeds, but the performance should be nearly the same.

I have a second gen T100 with the slightly faster z3775 Atom. $350 including keyboard/touchpad.

I just tested out Marvel Puzzle Quest. It runs perfectly. Load is quick and it seems locked at 30 fps. Touch control works perfectly so it can be used in tablet mode. The tablet stayed cool so I expect the battery life while playing would be pretty good. This is at the faster range of Bay Trail tablets, but I expect the cheaper ones would work just fine.

Plenty of Steam games run great on this thing, some with touch working like Pinball FX2, Shadowrun, Puzzle Agent, and others. The performance is about what you'd expect with mostly older and indie titles being what you'd want to run natively. Super Time Force Ultra never dips below 60fps and Deus Ex: The Fall spends most of its time in triple digits. It also very nicely streams from my desktop

The app selection in the store is garbage, but that isn't really what I got it for. The upcoming ConsoleOS looks like a promising way to get Android on this thing and Android x86 is already an option, though I wouldn't call it ideal. There's a relatively new $10 piece of software called DuOS which is sort of a mix of Android x86 and emulation that runs an Android environment including 3D games within Windows and I'd say feels about 95% as good as Android natively.

I got this thing after giving up on Android tablets twice and an iPad once. They just felt too limited. It's fanless (quiet), stays cool, performs well even with two screens (1080p external monitor and native 1368x768), and is all I need when traveling. It's basically both my favorite laptop and tablet. This 2-in-1 solution is exactly what I wanted and I love it.

Please tell me this game is garbage. The day I don't check AAS is the day they put something up that I would definitely try.
Um the one level I tried for one game was fun. Seems like it would be a very slow level up progression though. At least for me, but then I am not the best at pinball. You need stars to buy temporary power ups and unlock new stages. It costs 10 stars to unlock a new stage. I got one my first play and missed hitting 2 more. You gain levels from points. I gained 4 with my first play at the table. You have to be level 5 to gain an ability. The first one looks like something to help catch stars but you can't preview the ability. You can only use one ability and one temporary power up per go at a table.

It's ok. A sequel would be worth coins or survey credit with more tables unlocked from the beginning and a couple item and ability slots.

Edit: Oh and today's free app looks to be an interesting puzzler called Enigmo Sorry I'm mobile so no links.

Other limited time freebies can be found here.
Dead Call: Combat Shooter Trigger and Modern Duty Hunter 3D

Traffic: Illegal Road Racing - Asphalt Street Cars Racer 2

Real Speed: Need for Asphalt Race - Shift to Underground CSR Addiction

I never thought I'd say this, but the Amazon app store makes me appreciate Steam greenlight.

Please tell me this game is garbage. The day I don't check AAS is the day they put something up that I would definitely try.
Do you have a PS3? There is a game there called Pinballistik that went free not too long ago. I think it's only one table unless you buy more, but it does have simultaneous multiplayer, which I believe is a first for pinball games where you don't take turns. Hopefully that's a nice booby prize for you.

There also is also Rollers of the Realm on PC/PS4 and Vita I think. Had a PSN flash sale recently...that I missed....I wanted it to but was just busy and travelling.

There also is also Rollers of the Realm on PC/PS4 and Vita I think. Had a PSN flash sale recently...that I missed....I wanted it to but was just busy and travelling.
did you try the demo on the vita. I was going to buy it but the TYPE IS WAY TOO SMALL ON THE VITA. Wanted to buy it for 10 but after downloading the demo its just too small to even buy at 4

did you try the demo on the vita. I was going to buy it but the TYPE IS WAY TOO SMALL ON THE VITA. Wanted to buy it for 10 but after downloading the demo its just too small to even buy at 4
Did you happen to post that in either of the PSN threads while it was on sale? That might have saved me $3.60.

Spent some more time with it. The tables are really blah. There are only three and at least two just aren't that interesting. Kind of a play once or twice and delete kind of game, nothing that would keep you returning over and over though the challenges do add a nice touch. Also it looks like it actually costs 20 stars each to unlock the other two stages.

I just got a Note 3 and have plenty of space free so it won't get deleted outright but I highly doubt it gets played to the point of unlocking the final board. I wouldn't feel too bad about missing out.

Do you have a PS3? There is a game there called Pinballistik that went free not too long ago. I think it's only one table unless you buy more, but it does have simultaneous multiplayer, which I believe is a first for pinball games where you don't take turns. Hopefully that's a nice booby prize for you.
Pinball FX2 on Xbox 360 and One has 2-player split-screen; I imagine Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 and 4 does as well.

bread's done
Back