Android games ongoing sales.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Abduction is the best one.[/QUOTE]

im playing super mario world and final fantasy 5 on snes emulator . great emulation but it driains the battery fast

Ok I had to bite on the game-griper hope it works.... Gave me the option to preorder in black as well..

IMG_5124.JPG
IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

[quote name='carpwrist']I've been addicted to World War. It's a free Mafia-type turn-based resource game.
If anyone plays this you should Recruit me or join my Alliance.
Alliance Code: 6QVJ7V

Go German, ground units are so full of win![/QUOTE]

Just invited you to my Alliance. :applause:

[quote name='z3razerviper']Ok I had to bite on the game-griper hope it works.... Gave me the option to preorder in black as well..
IMG_5124.JPG
[/QUOTE]
Saw this today. Let us know how it is. I'm still inclined to believe mainly touch games developed for android would be the most fun - for everything else I've got a DS. Emulation on Droid is pretty neat though.

[quote name='Raul0923']air control is extremely fun and addicting![/QUOTE]

thanks for pointing this game out - I have been looking for a game like it since I play the carbon copy of it on my itouch - flight control. Very good controls and plays well on my devour

It's too bad Android has lousy game selection (compared to iPhone market).

Other than that Android is win.

[quote name='Peter908']It's too bad Android has lousy game selection (compared to iPhone market).

Other than that Android is win.[/QUOTE]
Yah it does but unlike iphone most android games are free.

[quote name='carpwrist']I've been addicted to World War. It's a free Mafia-type turn-based resource game.
If anyone plays this you should Recruit me or join my Alliance.
Alliance Code: 6QVJ7V

Go German, ground units are so full of win![/QUOTE]

I invited you to my alliance. :D

Thanks for the info guys. Just got my HTC Hero earlier this week and have been killing the battery playing with it! Cant wait for android 2.1 update next month.

probably off topic a bit, but anyone with an Eris , I just loaded software version 2.1 which allows for google nav and software that is availab le for 1.6 and higher.

PM me for details

Upgraded to a Motorola Cliq, as my Blackberry Pearl nuked itself and none of the tricks to fix it worked. Felt the HTC2 was too big and I can't stand a phone that only has touch screen input with no QWERTY. And I don't feel like paying $500 for a Nexus One.

At least T-Mobile had Buy 1, Get 1 Free. Was able to get 2 Cliqs for the price of one. I'm giving that to my bro who currently has a G1.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Upgraded to a Motorola Cliq, as my Blackberry Pearl nuked itself and none of the tricks to fix it worked. Felt the HTC2 was too big and I can't stand a phone that only has touch screen input with no QWERTY. And I don't feel like paying $500 for a Nexus One.

At least T-Mobile had Buy 1, Get 1 Free. Was able to get 2 Cliqs for the price of one. I'm giving that to my bro who currently has a G1.[/QUOTE]
I don't understand, the Cliq is about $450 out of contract isn't it? If you are on T-Mobile, the N1 is $280 to renew, $180 for new, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Myself, I'm on Verizon and got two Droids for free (well, after bing CB). Just couldn't wait for N1 to show up and the difference in price was too great.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I don't understand, the Cliq is about $450 out of contract isn't it? If you are on T-Mobile, the N1 is $280 to renew, $180 for new, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Myself, I'm on Verizon and got two Droids for free (well, after bing CB). Just couldn't wait for N1 to show up and the difference in price was too great.[/QUOTE]

Cliq was $150 through T-Mobile and 2-year contract extension (qualified for an upgrade). You cannot upgrade to a N1 if you're on a family plan, which is what my family is on. And it was Buy 1 Smartphone, Get 1 Free, in-store offer only.

So the only way to actually get an N1 for me would be to start a new contract and that's more expensive in the long run.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Cliq was $150 through T-Mobile and 2-year contract extension (qualified for an upgrade). You cannot upgrade to a N1 if you're on a family plan, which is what my family is on. And it was Buy 1 Smartphone, Get 1 Free, in-store offer only.

So the only way to actually get an N1 for me would be to start a new contract and that's more expensive in the long run.[/QUOTE]
Ah that sucks about the family plan business. Glad I didn't wait for it to hit VZW then, as I am on a family plan there as well, and I bet there would be the same restrictions.

[quote name='fuss']thanks for pointing this game out - I have been looking for a game like it since I play the carbon copy of it on my itouch - flight control. Very good controls and plays well on my devour[/QUOTE]

There are many line drawing games on Android now. A couple others you may want to check out are Flight Director (demo available then $2 I think) and Automania (no demo). I haven't tried Automania but read good things. Just tried Air Control and it's pretty nice too.

A few other games I've tried recently and like a lot:
Bubble Defense - simple but challenging TD game
Shopper's Paradise - "Tycoon" type game with store theme
WordUp! - Very nice Boggle clone
Word Search - I thought this type of game was only fun for kids. I was wrong.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Saw this today. Let us know how it is. I'm still inclined to believe mainly touch games developed for android would be the most fun - for everything else I've got a DS. Emulation on Droid is pretty neat though.[/QUOTE]

Here's a video review of the Game Gripper via Phandroid.

[quote name='probin74243']WordUp! - Very nice Boggle clone[/QUOTE]

Haven't actually tried WordUp! but have heard Wixel is better - and is what I have played, and it's pretty good. I might try wordup later today and see which wins.

[quote name='wilco6']Abduction! and Robo Defense for sure. Haven't really found anything else of value yet.[/QUOTE]
Check out my first post for some awesome free games.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Ah that sucks about the family plan business. Glad I didn't wait for it to hit VZW then, as I am on a family plan there as well, and I bet there would be the same restrictions.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a good thing you didn't wait for it to hit VZW, especially since it's officially never coming =P

Hey I have an original iphone 8GB and I cant stand the thing ( its laggy , sluggish , and just feels a little outdated ) . $$ isnt a problems , so with that in mind do you think it would be worth buying an unlocked Nexus One directly from Google.com ?

I'm in the market for an Android phone as well.. Anyone have suggestions.. I'm currently torn between the Droid and the HTC Eris (I'm on Verizon btw). Or is there something bigger and better coming down the pipeline?

[quote name='Ares']I'm in the market for an Android phone as well.. Anyone have suggestions.. I'm currently torn between the Droid and the HTC Eris (I'm on Verizon btw). Or is there something bigger and better coming down the pipeline?[/QUOTE]

Definitely the htc Incredible. It's Verizon's version of the Nexus One.

i would avoid the droid(sorry, had to).

I received one as a seed device from google and it died within a week. It can no longer charge. Google(the search, not anyone from the android division) shows it's a very common problem. Haven't really found anyone who came up with a solution.

I will try an external battery charger but I don't have high hopes.

While it worked it was a nice phone.

[quote name='smoger']i would avoid the droid(sorry, had to).

I received one as a seed device from google and it died within a week. It can no longer charge. Google sez it's a very common problem. Haven't really found anyone who came up with a solution.

I will try an external battery charger but I don't have high hopes.

While it worked it was a nice phone.[/QUOTE]

Which Droid? There are different types.

[quote name='NoirTech']Which Droid? There are different types.[/QUOTE]

sorry.. i meant *The* Droid. The one with no subtitle.

(btw cell phone industry: can we go back to model numbers instead of stupid names?)

[quote name='smoger']sorry.. i meant *The* Droid. The one with no subtitle.

(btw cell phone industry: can we go back to model numbers instead of stupid names?)[/QUOTE]

There are two of those. Either the Motorola Droid or the Droid Eris.

*the one with no subtitle*

as in... "Droid" .

not eris. not incredible. just Droid. Obviously I'm not counting the manufacturer's name as a subtitle :)

[quote name='smoger']*the one with no subtitle*

as in... "Droid" .

not eris. not incredible. just Droid. Obviously I'm not counting the manufacturer's name as a subtitle :)[/QUOTE]

Ah. Then the Motorola Droid. The reason I ask is because when these two Droid phones came out, they were both called Droid. In the market they are distinguished by either calling one Motorola Droid (like Verizon says), or the Droid Eris.

Good to know about the Motorola Droid though. Thanks. The Nexus One has already surpassed the phone. Hopefully the new Incredible will be as good as the reviews are saying.

I have the Eris, and I love it - but it's STILL on 1.5 (no, I'm not going to root it or use leaked firmware).

I'm excited for an update - and I'm even more excited to upgrade to something like the Incredible. It looks and sounds awesome.

[quote name='Ares']I'm in the market for an Android phone as well.. Anyone have suggestions.. I'm currently torn between the Droid and the HTC Eris (I'm on Verizon btw). Or is there something bigger and better coming down the pipeline?[/QUOTE]

I've had the Droid Eris since shortly after release. I love the phone, especially the form factor, but it does have lag issues sometimes. It's still stuck on Android 1.5 although we've been promised an upgrade to 2.x some time ago. I've heard rumors that Verizon is planning to discontinue the Eris so I'm concerned about future updates/support.

If I could choose all over again today, it would definitely be the Droid Incredible. Like the Eris, it's made by HTC and includes the awesome Sense UI interface, which can only be found on HTC's of course. If you want a phone with a physical keyboard, I recently read about the LG Aloha coming to Verizon soon (May?). It has a 1 GHz snapdragon processor just like the Incredible, a 5 mp camera with 720p video recording, 3.5" AMOLED screen and runs on 2.1.

Sadly, the (original) Droid and Droid Eris are old news now and getting behind the times. So if you want something on Verizon now and don't instist on a physical keyboard, the Incredible looks every bit of it's name. If you want a real keyboard or other choices, I'd wait to find out more about the Aloha.

UPDATE: Another phone to look out for is the Samsung Galaxy S. The specs look nice but I haven't seen details on the carrier yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smoger']*the one with no subtitle*

as in... "Droid" .

not eris. not incredible. just Droid. Obviously I'm not counting the manufacturer's name as a subtitle :)[/QUOTE]

I have the moto droid and have had no problems. if you had a battery problem then it was probably just a that, a bad battery. that said, anyone getting a phone now should obviously get the incredible.

[quote name='typical guy']I have the moto droid and have had no problems. if you had a battery problem then it was probably just a that, a bad battery. that said, anyone getting a phone now should obviously get the incredible.[/QUOTE]

i'm not saying that every single droid has problems.. i know there are millions that are perfect. but there are a decent amount with this charging issue. of course this wouldnt be an issue for someone who got the phone from verizon, since you'd be able to exchange for a new one

Cool gang, thanks for all of the input.. I did some research as well, and it looks like the HTC Incredible is probably the best Android phone (on Verizon anyways). I did read about some issues with the battery life, but really most of these phones you're going to have to charge them daily, if you use them a lot, so that's not really a big deal breaker for me.

I also seen where the Motorola Droid 2 is forthcoming down the road (probably explains why I see the original Droid going for so cheap in a lot of places). Physical keyboard isn't a must for me, as long as the on screen keyboard is big enough. My bro has a 8g Ipod Touch and I have to use my pinky finger to type, which isn't fun.

That being said, is $199 pretty much the going price for an Incredible? Or have you guys found better deals online or in-store? It's a bit steep for the price (I am a CAG afterall!) It's not like I have to rush out and buy one in the next few days, so if there is an upcoming sale on them, I may hold out for that.

Again, thanks for all the input :)

[quote name='Ares']
That being said, is $199 pretty much the going price for an Incredible? Or have you guys found better deals online or in-store? It's a bit steep for the price (I am a CAG afterall!) It's not like I have to rush out and buy one in the next few days, so if there is an upcoming sale on them, I may hold out for that.

Again, thanks for all the input :)[/QUOTE]

Amazon, 149.99 with new 2 year contract
http://www.amazon.com/HTC-INCREDIBLE-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B003HC8NUW/

I was already on verizon so I upgraded my phone online with them with a preorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already downloaded all of those in the OP except for Replica Island and Air Control. Gotta give those a try, too! I also like Armored Strike (basically worms, but with tanks), although the lite version really does hamstring ya a bit.

[quote name='Trojan']I've already downloaded all of those in the OP except for Replica Island and Air Control. Gotta give those a try, too! I also like Armored Strike (basically worms, but with tanks), although the lite version really does hamstring ya a bit.[/QUOTE]

Hey. Why are you talking about games in a thread about Android phones? What? Oh... nevermind.

Replica Island is quite possibly the best looking free game I've seen on Android. Haven't played it much though cause I tend to gravitate towards logic/puzzle/stategy games on a phone (LogicPic, WordUp, Bubble Defense) rather than action/adventure. Definitely worth a try though..

Flight Director is another good line drawing game like Air Control. Not sure which is better so I'd suggest checking both of them out.

Is anyone else using a replacement keyboard app? I just started using ShapeWriter and I'm liking it a lot. I would have tried Swype first, but apparently it's not available on 1.5 (Eris). ShapeWriter works the same way, though, where you slide your finger from letter to letter to create a word instead of pressing each individually. It really does seem to be faster. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has a preference (Smart Keyboard, Better Keyboard, SlideIT, etc).

bread's done
Back