Android games ongoing sales.

Swype is untouchable. Using a Moto Droid version of it on my Droid Incredible, it pops up with errors if you change landscapes, but it works fine. Every person i show the phone to, swype is the thing that blows them away like nothing else.

[quote name='smoger']i'm not saying that every single droid has problems.. i know there are millions that are perfect. but there are a decent amount with this charging issue. of course this wouldnt be an issue for someone who got the phone from verizon, since you'd be able to exchange for a new one[/QUOTE]

Have to chime in, our company recently swithced from Iphones to droids, we needed phones that worked more often then not (sorry its just a fact AT&T has poor covarage) we also wanted better PHONES, the apps are secondary. Out of the 540 we deployed 2 had problems so far, one has a wierd E-mail glitch (software) that i cant reporduce on any others but was fixed with a aftermarket Email app and one wont charge on aftermarket chargers (Verizon thought i was full of it, but wasnt) it wont charge with a aftermarket charger but any other DROID will charage on that charger.. strange I know. I'm thinking hte charge port has some problem in some way. A $38 Verizon charger works fine in it... why? I HAVE NO IDEA.. but they replaced the phone for free. Of course we only have about 6 months on um all, but they get HEAVY USE and so far other then "my apps are gone" we have had no complaints on service and phone ability.

Keep in mind thi is just the resualts of our company and my not match others in any way or form.

And last but not least, I'm a big DROID supporter, so maybe my opinions are biased (the clearity of phone), but the above (failure rate) is fact. We had far more fails when we deployed out Iphones 3 years ago. Oh and last thing, the DROID keyboard is a joke. Worthless In my opinion, but I love the phone otherwise.

having an android phone and refusing to root it is like putting a speed limiter in your Ferrari. there is no excuse other than ignorance (in which case you might as well buy the iphone)

Holy crap, you guys gotta see this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=672884

It lets you use your Wii remote as a remote for your emulators, maybe games too, but haven't tested it out yet. I've been testing it out and it works. I think only if you have a nexus you can use that, but take a look anyway. This is a great step forward, if you have any questions on how to install or whatever, message me or whatever.

[quote name='postulio']having an android phone and refusing to root it is like putting a speed limiter in your Ferrari. there is no excuse other than ignorance (in which case you might as well buy the iphone)[/QUOTE]
Heh, I'm not rooted on my Droid yet, but I've been meaning to do it. Probably this weekend. Just wanted to see how far stock could get me, since I firmly believe that Android has most features I want as stock, while for iPhone I would HAVE to jailbreak it to get anywhere near the use I want.

But I'll be rooting soon.

[quote name='postulio']having an android phone and refusing to root it is like putting a speed limiter in your Ferrari. there is no excuse other than ignorance (in which case you might as well buy the iphone)[/QUOTE]

I rooted my G1 almost instantly but haven't really had the need yet to root my Nexus One. But Im sure i will end up rooting eventually.

I just got a Droid Incredible, and I would like to root it ASAP to allow it to become a Wifi Hotspot, but A) I have no idea how to do it, and B) I don't think anyone knows how to do it for the Incredible yet.

[quote name='smoger']its not exactly the same but you can get pdanet for free and without rooting and use it to tether.[/QUOTE]

How does this work?

Check it out on the market, it's pretty self explanatory. You install pdanet on your phone as well as your laptop, and from then on you can connect your phone to your pc/mac via usb(or bluetooth, maybe) and share the internet connection.

ive used it a few times when my home isp went down for a few hours.. worked well.

Check it out on the market, it's pretty self explanatory. You install pdanet on your phone as well as your laptop, and from then on you can connect your phone to your pc/mac via usb(or bluetooth, maybe) and share the internet connection.

ive used it a few times when my home isp went down for a few hours.. worked well.

I just got my Incredible and I haven't even scratched its surface, much less hit a limit that would make me want to root it...

No root for incredible yet. They needed the keys from a OTA update, and there was one for a select few people the other day. So it shouldn't be much longer at this point.

Wow, using the wiimote for emulators is pretty sweet! But, I wouldn't want to carry the wiimote around :p

awesome idea though...

i have the incredible too. best phone ever IMO.

as for WiFi Hotspot... this is officially coming in the Android 2.2 update which is still a few weeks away.

2.2 OS will have it, but each company can disable it, modify it to charge you per use, or whatever else they want. Don't be so naive, just cause its in the OS doesnt mean squat. To put it into perspective, Sprint charges 30 dollars a month for capped usage tethering. You think they're just going to make it free all of a sudden?

Its why root is important. Still waiting on root for the incredible =(

[quote name='blitz6speed']2.2 OS will have it, but each company can disable it, modify it to charge you per use, or whatever else they want. Don't be so naive, just cause its in the OS doesnt mean squat. To put it into perspective, Sprint charges 30 dollars a month for capped usage tethering. You think they're just going to make it free all of a sudden?

Its why root is important. Still waiting on root for the incredible =([/QUOTE]
Exactly. I definitely think the carriers will disable this, but a tethering and wifi developed and supported by google only means good things for rooters. I know rooting can achieve this now, but I like the idea that if something is supposed to be included, I can make sure it is.

Wrong, its more like rooting your phone is like modding your oem Ferrari with a cheap aftermarket part which may brick it.

Personally I rather not take that chance to brick it to mess around with it more. It does everything that most people would need it to without a root.

Explain the reasoning to root other than thinking your cool doing it?

[quote name='Fire_Thief']How does this work?[/QUOTE]
download pdanet onto your laptop + droid

connect USB cable

start pdanet on droid

connect on PC

win

Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Incredible. Been back ordered for a few weeks now. Got tired of waiting to see when the iPhone would get to Verizon.

okay been awhile since Ive posted on this site.....ROOT the damn phone! very simple to do, and very very hard to brick! FREE TETHERING! no easytether or pdanet required! Using the nexus one and loving it, traded my iphone 3g 16gb which I paid $250, for the nexus one.

As for apps.... not sure if this has been mentioned but check out blackdroid.net

I was scared to root and one day just decided to root my Motoroa Droid about a month ago.

It was extremely easy and there are many excellent tutorials on the web.

I had the 2.1 update installed and was able to root in about 20 minutes.

I have my Droid overclocked to 1 ghz and it runs stable.

Applications, games and everything runs significantly faster.

If you root pickup Rom Manager, Set CPU, Root Explorer, and Titanium Backup.

These items make switching Roms and backing up extremely easy.

I also recommend LauncherPro Beta, it is mucher faster than the stock launcher and it is free. This can be used without rooting your phone.

yeah should rename the thread to Android Discussion or something...I havent seen any deals on the market lately.

I am also wondering about the rooting. I own a HTC My touch 3G but i am thinking about upgrading to the Mytouch 3G Slide.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Android is the OS on the phone. "Droid" refers to the Motorola Droid released on the Verizon Network.

~sidenote: AT&T has really decided to fuck all people deciding to switch to Android phones on their network.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I left at&t and switch to verizon and get a incredible.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Thanks for not sharing any game deals =\[/QUOTE]

Read the first thread, he said those games were on sale. What the fuck else do you want?

[quote name='gargus']Read the first thread, he said those games were on sale. What the fuck else do you want?[/QUOTE]

The op has free games posted more than a month ago. No new deals or any at all. This is a deals forum.

lol.....i dont really look for games or anything on my n1 in the market...pretty much happy with what I have...docs to go...mlb $14.99 app... free from blackdroid.net , should probably look for a few new apps to use but use the browser on the n1, FROYO! is sweet

I'm looking to pick up either an Incredible or EVO 4G, but leaning towards the EVO since its on Sprint, which has cheaper plans, and the EVO is already rooted :p

Just got a HTC EVO 4G yesterday and I'm loving it so much more than my old iPhone 3G.

Looking forward to following this thread.

[quote name='Ares']the EVO is already rooted :p[/QUOTE]

True, but there is an OTA update you'll get a notification for within a few hours of using it.

The update is to address the SD card problems, but it also breaks the root path.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']The op has free games posted more than a month ago. No new deals or any at all. This is a deals forum.[/QUOTE]

so why not go to the marketplace yourself and add something to the thread instead of complaining about it?

Dark Nova should be released soon according to the creator. It is a remake of Trade Wars from the palm os. If Dope Wars and Privateer had a baby it would be Trade Wars.

Finally rooted my Droid so I could get 2.2 Froyo and it's incredible. Really loving all the new features, and it looks really good. Can't believe iPhone 4 is basically Android+Video Chat... which I'm sure we will see more and more of (I think Qik can do with it with the EVO 4G?)

Is it worth rooting Droid? I'm sure the 2.2 update will hit soon, anyways. :)
What are some of the new features?

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Finally rooted my Droid so I could get 2.2 Froyo and it's incredible. Really loving all the new features, and it looks really good. Can't believe iPhone 4 is basically Android+Video Chat... which I'm sure we will see more and more of (I think Qik can do with it with the EVO 4G?)[/QUOTE]

I have a evo 4g, but in new orleans we only have 3g connection. You can use quick over 3g connection, but its laggy some times. It is confirmed over 4g it works perfect lol@ iphone over wifi network.

I think it's worth it, only because I had to wait a few months after 2.1 was said to be coming to Droid for an OTA, and even then I had to get the update package from Google and manually update the phone. They say Froyo will be 'soon', but I don't have the patience for their soons.

Here's a feature list; here's my take on some of the features:

Flash is great because I can simply watch a video instead of loading up the app. Of course loading the app wasn't difficult before, it just feels much more seamless with Flash integrated. The video is, however, not the smoothest at all times. Setting apps in the browser to be 'on demand' is a must, so that not all Flash gets loaded (ie ads).

Apps2SD I haven't seen in action; I think the apps need to be updated to take advantage of this, but I know this was a much-maligned issue with Android.

Bluetooth voice dialing is another feature most wanted, and is now avail, but I don't use a BT headset so can't say what it's like.

My version of the ROM had wireless tethering taken out (to not disclose the source from what I read); there are other kernals with the WiFi tethering built back in, I just haven't had the need to check them out. It does have USB tethering in it, am planning on checking that out soon. Hmm, wonder if I could tether my 360 to it... not that it would provide very good service :p

The look of the home screen is very nice - it now has a phone icon and browser icon built into the bottom app drawer area, along with some dots for the other homescreens.

The app drawer has a nice new look which I really like. I believe it's what the N1 has.

Still can't rotate my homescreen :p

Lifehacker has a few pics as well.

[quote name='Blockburner28']I have a evo 4g, but in new orleans we only have 3g connection. You can use quick over 3g connection, but its laggy some times. It is confirmed over 4g it works perfect lol@ iphone over wifi network.[/QUOTE]
Haha that's awesome... so the only new feature iPhoners can really say they have over Android is already better on Android. This is just the beginning, I believe from here on out we will see this happen more and more.

Wow fring looks pretty cool, and is on iphone as well, making wifi only facetime obsolete before it even gets released. Looks like facetime was really just Apple trying to get a bullet-point that wasn't something already done on Android.

But, as they say, "There's an app for that".

While this is really not Android specific, there are a number of mp3 album samplers on Amazon which can be downloaded DRM free (and for free) from the Amazon MP3 app. Since there have been so few real deals in this thread, I thought this might suffice.

I recently downloaded:
Barsuk Records Amazon Spring 2010 Sampler
Be On The Lookout!
Deep Elm Sampler No. 9 'We Dream Alone'
Matador Records - Intended Play 2010
Merge Records 2010 Digital Sampler
Saddle Creek sampler 2008-2009

When you move these over to your computer, you'll definitely want to rename the files/folders with TagScanner.

I really love this app a lot more than I thought I would (granted I've spent all of .01 + $5 free credit from a game in the store, but the fact I can download DRM-free mp3's to my phone and move them to my computer (over wifi in fact with estrongs file explorer) makes me so glad I own an Android phone.)

I just switched from the iPhone 3g to the HTC Evo 4G and was wondering where are the games? Most games on the Android marketplace seem to be pretty cheap games where are games like FIFA, Splinter Cell, Iron Man 2? HTC Evo is way more powerful than the iPhone why the lack of quality games? Is it that the big developers aren't focused on Android phones? Because there is a Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed game but both are cheap 2D side scrollers.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']I just switched from the iPhone 3g to the HTC Evo 4G and was wondering where are the games? Most games on the Android marketplace seem to be pretty cheap games where are games like FIFA, Splinter Cell, Iron Man 2? HTC Evo is way more powerful than the iPhone why the lack of quality games? Is it that the big developers aren't focused on Android phones? Because there is a Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed game but both are cheap 2D side scrollers.[/QUOTE]
From what I've read, developers feel that Android users don't spend money, and so they don't put time into quality IP or ports for Android, because they think it will make no money if any at all, and can't be sold at the high prices that iphone gets.

This however makes little sense in my mind - of course you will make no money if you make terrible games.

As Android gets more attention and more and more 'regular' users, we will see better games. Unfortunately, right now, it's not the best for games.

Although, check out ExZeus; it's a pretty neat looking game.

bread's done
Back