Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Blind buys are part of the fun for me. They usually work out well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, blind buying is awesome. The most research I ever do for a show is check its rating on ANN. Not knowing what to expect when I put in a DVD is definitely part of the fun.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I have seen Interstella 5555 as well and it is indeed awesome. It's kind of like a futuristic anime version of Fantasia in style. The music worked perfectly with the scenes in the film.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can buy a copy cheap, or has a copy for trade, hit me up. I've had it on my wants in my trade list for a while now. Rightstuf hasn't had it for ages and I don't want to use eBay unless it is an absolute last resort.[/QUOTE]

I just checked Amazon and they have it for thirteen dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Daft-Punk-Int...6XH3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249563228&sr=8-1

Oh, and I think I am probably the only person here who cares, but hooray, Studio Deen is making an Unlimited Blade Works movie! For those who don't know Unlimited Blade Works is the second path in the Fate/stay night visual novel. The Fate/stay night anime only covers the Fate path, which is the first path in the game. Unlimited Blade Works focuses on Archer, and Archer is a bad ass character. Rejoice!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-08-06/fate/stay-night-unlimited-blade-works-film-confirmed

[quote name='Bezerker']So, trying to pick a movie/OVA to watch tonight. Got it down to Angel Cop, Baoh & Angel's Egg. Which should I watch?[/QUOTE]

Angel Cop, Angel Cop! All of those are horrible, but Angel Cop is the most hilariously bad of the three.

[quote name='the_punisher']To be expected when you watch five or six series' straight in a row ;). I've been playing Godfather II, which is my desperate attempt at waiting for Red Faction to drop in price, but i don't think i can hold out much longer. I need a good fucking game to play.[/QUOTE]

More like 20 in a row (over the course of this summer, that is), haha. Pretty bad. Rather than watch more cartoons (even if they're American), I think I'll go back to gaming myself. Starting playing Endless Ocean again the other day. Love that game. Gotta work my way back into the hardcore stuff, haha.

Also, I'm thinking of selling most of my CLAMP anime. I just bought Chobits, but I might turn around and sell it. Same goes for X TV and maybe even XXXHolic. The manga for those is almost always better, I've heard.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']More like 20 in a row (over the course of this summer, that is), haha. Pretty bad. Rather than watch more cartoons (even if they're American), I think I'll go back to gaming myself. Starting playing Endless Ocean again the other day. Love that game. Gotta work my way back into the hardcore stuff, haha.[/QUOTE]
If you want a good tv show. I would recommend Hani Yori Dango if you have an interest in J dramas. It's based on a manga I believe, but if you've watched 20 series consecutively you'll just be adding to it except it's not anime.

[quote name='scuba t']If you want a good tv show. I would recommend Hani Yori Dango if you have an interest in J dramas. It's based on a manga I believe, but if you've watched 20 series consecutively you'll just be adding to it except it's not anime.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, i've never watched japanese REAL TV, but i have a feeling i'd rather watch 24 or Prison Break ;).

[quote name='Razzuel']Yes, blind buying is awesome. The most research I ever do for a show is check its rating on ANN. Not knowing what to expect when I put in a DVD is definitely part of the fun.

I just checked Amazon and they have it for thirteen dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Daft-Punk-Int...6XH3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249563228&sr=8-1

[/QUOTE]

Cool, I hadn't checked Amazon in a while. Last time I did they didn't have it. Thanks.

See, other people agree with me that Interstella 5555 is a good movie. Geez, and some of you people think that I don't have taste or something. I agree though that your enjoyment of Daft Punk plays a pivotal role in whether you would enjoy it or not. I never really listened to Daft Punk before watching the movie, so I wouldn't say that only Daft Punk fans should watch the movie because you might like the music. I ended up loving the music, so I bought the album from Best Buy on my way to work. fucking awesome album.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I don't like Daft Punk (at all, really), and I liked Interstella 5555.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think that's even better because it further helps my case in that Interstella 5555 is a good movie.:D

Just watched the Air movie. Liked the story a LOT more than the series. All the plot elements that I thought were silly and/or convoluted in the TV series were removed in the movie. Everything was explained clearly, and the story just made more sense. To me, it was a lot more believable and more sad/touching. I'm glad I didn't just dismiss it just because I wasn't crazy about the series (this review pretty much sums up how I felt about the series).

Maybe I won't have to take much of a break from anime after all. :p

Got Initial D second stage in the mail today. As soon as I opened the package and took out the dvd set I could hear something rattling around. Sure enough, when I opened the set itself there were 2 DVDs just sliding around liked greased up little piggies. They were both scratched and scuffed.

I e-mailed customer support and they'll be sending me a replacement. First time buying from this particular online store, and I hope I have better luck with the 2nd shipment.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Just watched the Air movie. Liked the story a LOT more than the series. All the plot elements that I thought were silly and/or convoluted in the TV series were removed in the movie. Everything was explained clearly, and the story just made more sense. To me, it was a lot more believable and more sad/touching. I'm glad I didn't just dismiss it just because I wasn't crazy about the series (this review pretty much sums up how I felt about the series).

Maybe I won't have to take much of a break from anime after all. :p[/QUOTE]

Don't let punisher read this. He thought the Air movie was a sack of melodramatic shit meant for middle school kids. However, maybe he can understand just how wrong he is, since he now has your opinion and my opinion.

Haha, I thought the TV series' ending was far more melodramatic myself. To each his own, I suppose; it's all opinion, anyway.

Although I liked the character models in the movie, I do wish they would have kept the same art style in the movie, since that was one of the series' major strengths. No idea why they felt the need to change it. It was still pretty good though.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Haha, I thought the TV series' ending was far more melodramatic myself. To each his own, I suppose; it's all opinion, anyway.

Although I liked the character models in the movie, I do wish they would have kept the same art style in the movie, since that was one of the series' major strengths. No idea why they felt the need to change it. It was still pretty good though.[/QUOTE]

I thought the TV series was better. Oh well.

Oh, the reason the art style is different is because the Air movie was animated by Toei Animation while the Air TV series was animated by Kyoto Animation.

[quote name='Razzuel']I thought the TV series was better. Oh well.

Oh, the reason the art style is different is because the Air movie was animated by Toei Animation while the Air TV series was animated by Kyoto Animation.[/QUOTE]

I have a strong feeling no one is going to agree with me about the movie, heh. I think most people prefer the series, and I can understand why. It just wasn't really my thing I guess. Couldn't connect with it. I liked the movie because they trimmed the fat, so to speak, and it ended up being a lot more coherent (like I said, from my perspective).

Oh, so that's why. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrarieD0G']I have a strong feeling no one is going to agree with me about the movie, heh. I think most people prefer the series, and I can understand why. It just wasn't really my thing I guess. Couldn't connect with it. I liked the movie because they trimmed the fat, so to speak, and it ended up being a lot more coherent (like I said, from my perspective).

Oh, so that's why. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Razzuel was right, i am going to rant.

The problem with the movie is that it just doesn't feel like Air. At all. It's a generic story of some kid who moves into town and falls in love with a girl.
That girl gets sick, and dies.
What, that it? It has almost nothing to do with what makes Air great, and is just a stupid and pointless movie. The art direction was beautiful, but the animation itself was awful, and freeze-frames during the most dramatic scenes did everything possible to kill the mood.

I could go on, but i think you're getting my point. The movie takes every good aspect about the series, and ruins it. And trust me, considering how many flaws the original TV Series had, that's saying something.

[quote name='the_punisher']Razzuel was right, i am going to rant.

The problem with the movie is that it just doesn't feel like Air. At all. It's a generic story of some kid who moves into town and falls in love with a girl.
That girl gets sick, and dies.
What, that it? It has almost nothing to do with what makes Air great, and is just a stupid and pointless movie. The art direction was beautiful, but the animation itself was awful, and freeze-frames during the most dramatic scenes did everything possible to kill the mood.

I could go on, but i think you're getting my point. The movie takes every good aspect about the series, and ruins it. And trust me, considering how many flaws the original TV Series had, that's saying something.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Oh, hello there, Vicious Circle. How do you do?

Whatever floats your boat man. I thought the whole magic aspect of the series was kinda dumb. That's why I like slice-of-life animes, haha.

But yeah, this could go on forever, so let's stop. You know the saying, arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics... Anyway, it's times like these when I question why I even bother posting here, because I almost always end up in a bad mood because of it. I really hate arguing. My opinions usually aren't very popular, haha, so that doesn't help. =P

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Whatever floats your boat man. I thought the whole magic aspect of the series was kinda dumb. That's why I like slice-of-life animes, haha.

But yeah, this could go on forever, so let's stop. You know the saying, arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics... Anyway, it's times like these when I question why I even bother posting here, because I almost always end up in a bad mood because of it. I really hate arguing. My opinions usually aren't very popular, haha, so that doesn't help. =P[/QUOTE]

It's fun to argue sometimes, just ask KL and DarkSage. It lets you see the different perspectives from different people, so you should definitely keep posting. I like reading your opinions, they're not easy-to-guess like Razzuel's are ("it was fucking awesome"), and are usually right. Even on Air, i understand what you mean, and i think hearing so much about it before watching it partially killed the series for you.

I know what you mean, haha. Watching others argue about crap can be interesting. But I think I'm just overly sensitive sometimes. I let shit get to me that really shouldn't bother me all that much. But it does anyway. My mind is just stupid like that. Thanks for being nice though, I appreciate it, heh. xD You're right though; Air was so hyped up before I watched it, that my expectations were just off. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had just gone into it without hearing anything about it.

I really can't stop thinking about the Air TV series now. I really wanted to like it. Honestly, I did. The art style mesmerized me from the moment I saw it. The sound of the summer bugs (cicadas maybe?), the vibrant colors of the ocean, blue sky, and sunset all created imagery like no other. The characters were even quite likable. However, the story is where it all fell apart for me. There was just too much unexplained (well perhaps half-explained, but still not convincing) magic bullshit. Not to mention, almost the first half of the series was devoted to side characters that really didn't do anything to progress the story, so you really didn't get the needed character development to really get an attachment to the main characters. Everything was all just way too superficial to me. In the end, it came off as trying to be sad and meaningful/tragic, but it really didn't quite get there. In short, I just didn't buy into it; none of it was really believable.

Like I said, I must have been expecting too much after hearing everyone on CAG raving about it. Oh well, the damage is done. My impression of the show will probably always be that of a disappointment. :cry:

saw ponyo a couple of nights ago and i'm wondering if anyone else has. if so, what did you think of it?

personally, i loved the animation, stunning, but felt it was the weakest of the miyazaki films i've seen in terms of story.

i wonder if i am alone in this feeling.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Angel Cop, Angel Cop! All of those are horrible, but Angel Cop is the most hilariously bad of the three.[/QUOTE]

I didnt get to watch any of them last night, so ill try tonight. Anime World Order has done reviews on all 3 and the way they described them was hilarious, so I figure i'd check them out to see how bad they really are. Crystal Triangle is still the champ in my book for "awesomely terrible" but maybe Angel Cop can beat it out.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']How was it? I kinda want to see it.[/QUOTE]

If you liked Air and/or Kanon, then you are bound to enjoy Clannad. However, I think Clannad shares more similarities to Kanon than Air. I don't know if this is a spoiler, but unlike Kanon, Clannad (Mild Clannad and Kanon spoiler)
has less of the fantastical elements that Kanon had. There is basically only one part of Clannad that is not grounded in reality while Kanon had multiple fantasy aspects.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I know what you mean, haha. Watching others argue about crap can be interesting. But I think I'm just overly sensitive sometimes. I let shit get to me that really shouldn't bother me all that much. But it does anyway. My mind is just stupid like that. Thanks for being nice though, I appreciate it, heh. xD You're right though; Air was so hyped up before I watched it, that my expectations were just off. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had just gone into it without hearing anything about it.

I really can't stop thinking about the Air TV series now. I really wanted to like it. Honestly, I did. The art style mesmerized me from the moment I saw it. The sound of the summer bugs (cicadas maybe?), the vibrant colors of the ocean, blue sky, and sunset all created imagery like no other. The characters were even quite likable. However, the story is where it all fell apart for me. There was just too much unexplained (well perhaps half-explained, but still not convincing) magic bullshit. Not to mention, almost the first half of the series was devoted to side characters that really didn't do anything to progress the story, so you really didn't get the needed character development to really get an attachment to the main characters. Everything was all just way too superficial to me. In the end, it came off as trying to be sad and meaningful/tragic, but it really didn't quite get there. In short, I just didn't buy into it; none of it was really believable.

Like I said, I must have been expecting too much after hearing everyone on CAG raving about it. Oh well, the damage is done. My impression of the show will probably always be that of a disappointment. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Without even realizing it, you perfectly described Air. That is exactly how i feel about it, with the only exception being that the last three episodes, once all of the crap was out of way, were very good. The magic was bullshit and very superficial, yes, and in the end the story really wasn't that great. I just thought the mother-daughter relationship made the series worth watching.

Hey, this place is pretty dead. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, I just got done watching The Sky Crawlers. I don't recommend it; I didn't like it. My opinion is somewhere from dislike to indifference inclusive. My feelings fluctuate because the movie had the potential—through a handful of glimpses—to be something great, but was handled too haphazardly.

I just finished up Cowboy Bebop. I'm kind of sad that I didn't watch this 8 or 9 years ago or whenever. I remember the first year I went to Otakon, this and Trigun were the 'it' anime of the year, and I hadn't seen either one of them, so I made a sort of decision to not go out of my way to watch them anytime soon. I feel like I was right with that concerning Trigun, but Cowboy Bebop does feel like a bit of a masterpiece. I enjoyed it very much.

[quote name='Razzuel'] I don't recommend it; I didn't like it. [/QUOTE]

:whistle2:k:whistle2:s

I'm glad at least you could agree with me, Punisher (mostly, anyway). Even if the whole world were to say I'm wrong, having that one person agree makes me feel less like I'm crazy, haha.

Two very different people have now told me that they didn't like Sky Crawlers though. Guess I won't bother to watch it then. Thanks for saving me the trouble, Razzuel, hah.

[quote name='Razzuel']Anyway, I just got done watching The Sky Crawlers. I don't recommend it; I didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

HELL JUST FROZE OVER!! :shock:

OK, guys. Need some help concerning R.O.D TV. Should I buy the set with all of the DVDs that looks like a book, or should I buy the artbox+DVD7 combo and buy the rest of the singles.

The sooner the better, as I may change my mind since it'll still cost me a pretty penny.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']OK, guys. Need some help concerning R.O.D TV. Should I buy the set with all of the DVDs that looks like a book, or should I buy the artbox+DVD7 combo and buy the rest of the singles.

The sooner the better, as I may change my mind since it'll still cost me a pretty penny.[/QUOTE]

I like displaying mine in the artbox far more, plus you get an awesome little Anita figure, which you *will* want very badly after seeing the show, trust me. What's the price disparity between your two options?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']OK, guys. Need some help concerning R.O.D TV. Should I buy the set with all of the DVDs that looks like a book, or should I buy the artbox+DVD7 combo and buy the rest of the singles.

The sooner the better, as I may change my mind since it'll still cost me a pretty penny.[/QUOTE]

The R.O.D. TV book set is in the shape of a book, and it has plastic pages that hold each DVD. I would say that it depends on what storage format you prefer. Do you want a book where each page contains a DVD, or do you want an artbox, which contains seven DVD cases?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I like displaying mine in the artbox far more, plus you get an awesome little Anita figure, which you *will* want very badly after seeing the show, trust me. What's the price disparity between your two options?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have the artbox and the single DVD cases as well—I think the artbox and singles are the better option. The Anita figure is pretty cool. I have her standing next to my monitor with her arm pointing outwards, holding a piece of paper.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Is Romeo X Juliet any good?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. There's a bit of filler involved to pad the plot, but that's to be expected in a 24-episode adaptation of a 40-page play. It's still very good.

Alright, now back to the love. I finished watching Cowboy Bebop. It was absolutely amazing; definitely one of the best.

Perhaps that's because no one with taste in anime would join an anime group that advertises itself like this: "Discuss your favorite Anime Shows Here:Naruto,Death Note,FullMetal Alchemist,Bleach ETC."

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Perhaps that's because no one with taste in anime would join an anime group that advertises itself like this: "Discuss your favorite Anime Shows Here:Naruto,Death Note,FullMetal Alchemist,Bleach ETC."[/QUOTE]

I guess. But there isn't anything else to choose from. :\

Anyway, it's nice to stumble upon this thread. :]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I like displaying mine in the artbox far more, plus you get an awesome little Anita figure, which you *will* want very badly after seeing the show, trust me. What's the price disparity between your two options?[/QUOTE]The singles with the artbox and anita figure would end up being about $40 cheaper if I can find vol 1 at a decent price. If not, then it will only be about $20 difference. I think I'll opt for the artbox and figure option, since it's cheaper and all. Haha!

Oh yeah, Anime Network on demand started showing Revolutionary Girl Utena. Saw the first episode today. I'll withhold judgment on the story for now since I haven't seen much of anything. What I will say is that it isn't the prettiest show out there. The artwork and animation is not so great.

Anyway, I'm off to place an order for some R.O.D TV love, assuming I don't change my mind in the next few minutes because of how much money I'm about to spend, haha!

[quote name='Razzuel']Alright, now back to the love. I finished watching Cowboy Bebop. It was absolutely amazing; definitely one of the best.[/QUOTE]

High five! I just finished it last night.

I started rewatching Giant Robo today. It's as awesome as I remember it. The music is beautifully orchestrated and the animation is very nice and fluid. I think I may rewatch Haunted Junction after this.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Oh yeah, Anime Network on demand started showing Revolutionary Girl Utena. Saw the first episode today. I'll withhold judgment on the story for now since I haven't seen much of anything. What I will say is that it isn't the prettiest show out there. The artwork and animation is not so great.

Anyway, I'm off to place an order for some R.O.D TV love, assuming I don't change my mind in the next few minutes because of how much money I'm about to spend, haha![/QUOTE]

I just hope you're not watching Utena dubbed. Definitely one of the worst dubs I've ever seen... As for the animation, it aired in '97, so of course it won't be up to today's standards. Still, it's one of the most stylistically awesome and creative things out there, even today. You'll see what I mean as the show progresses.

And R.O.D The TV is totally worth whatever you're paying. I paid full price for it as it was coming out, and don't regret it in the slightest.

[quote name='Liquid 2']ROD TV is the pits. The OVA rocks though. Just stick with that.[/QUOTE]

Patently false, the TV series is vastly superior to the OVA. But that's not to say the OVA isn't great either... just that the TV series is *that* good. The wonderful characters and the way they interact with each other really puts it over the top.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Oh man, I couldn't stand the characters. Their interactions were dull and and the story wasn't compelling at all.[/QUOTE]

You're a soulless monster of a person to not fall in love with those characters. :cry:

bread's done
Back