Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Mezzo is pretty average. "Shallow" and "stupid" are the two words that describe it best, I think.

Err, I know this may be rude, but... that's some terrible writing. Especially your closing paragraph:

Painful.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you're not being rude. Actually, I appreciate the feedback.

I just finished watching Koi Kaze. Overall I thought it was an amazing show—I would even go as far as saying it was a masterpiece. I was left with a lot of different feelings; some of which are conflicting. If some of you don't already know, then the show's main theme is a brother having intimate feelings towards his sister. It is not portrayed obnoxiously and voluptuously, but rather sincerely. I found it disturbing, sad, and beautiful at the same time. Also, I would like to add that I felt nervous and was even holding my breath intermittently while watching the characters struggle with their feelings and the situation; I could feel the characters' anguish and there were even times where I was speechless.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Does anyone know if K-on has been licensed here yet?[/QUOTE]
It has not been picked up.

I just finished Shuffle! and I kind of...enjoyed it? And I can't really explain why...

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']It has not been picked up.

I just finished Shuffle! and I kind of...enjoyed it? And I can't really explain why...[/QUOTE]
1. You're a straight guy.
2. It had an awesome ending.

Even though, as a a whole, it was pretty bad, the ending was great and made up for some of the crap.

Wow... I just found out that Kiddy Girl(The Sequel/Spinoff to Kiddy Grade?) is actually coming out. I was just thinking about it the other day and figured it was canceled.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Wow... I just found out that Kiddy Girl(The Sequel/Spinoff to Kiddy Grade?) is actually coming out. I was just thinking about it the other day and figured it was canceled.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, it still wasn't happening. The promo trailer for it was released over two years ago.

[quote name='miniMacGuru']From http://www.kiddygrade.com/, it seems something is starting in two weeks: Kiddy Girl-And

(From my understanding of Moonspeak and Google translate)

I think was a post about it on ANN in February.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, come to think of it, I do remember that ANN news post... And apparently the show has completely changed from that old trailer. Oh well.

Started rewatching Mahou Tsukai Tai (Magic Users' Club) tonight. Going to try to finish up the OAV tonight and watch the TV some other time. It's great stuff.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Started rewatching Mahou Tsukai Tai (Magic Users' Club) tonight. Going to try to finish up the OAV tonight and watch the TV some other time. It's great stuff.[/QUOTE]

I love the OVA. TV series, not so much.

I forgot all about the ANN post. The only reason why I even knew Kiddy Girl-And was happening still is because I came across a trailer(I'm going to assume it's an old one) and looked into it and found that it was supposedly airing on 10/14(I think).

I just got done watching He is my Master. It was pretty good; I enjoyed it. It's silly, but the show is a lot of fun. There were plenty of laughter inducing gags, which kept things interesting. Yeah, Yoshitaka is a complete asshole, but he's a funny asshole. Near the end the show was a little different from how it functioned in previous episodes, but the ending of the show made up for it—I thought the ending was perfect—because it totally brought everything back together.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just got done watching He is my Master. It was pretty good; I enjoyed it. It's silly, but the show is a lot of fun. There were plenty of laughter inducing gags, which kept things interesting. Yeah, Yoshitaka is a complete asshole, but he's a funny asshole. Near the end the show was a little different from how it functioned in previous episodes, but the ending of the show made up for it—I thought the ending was perfect—because it totally brought everything back together.[/QUOTE]

Counterpoint - It's a show for pedophiles.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Why are you so against He is my Master? Like a quarter of all anime coming out now is for pedophiles, but you never mention those.[/QUOTE]

Oh, all of those shows are just as creepy, but Razzuel hasn't written about them yet.

Plus, look at this creepy pedo shit:

1021259555774356429500x3758pv.jpg

How am I *not* supposed to make fun of that?!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Razzuel hasn't written about them yet.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, all right then. What's that one where a group of like 10 year olds wear skimpy outfits and pilot mech suit things? Raz should watch that next.

He is my Master isn't as creepy as most stuff in my opinion. At least, the girls have breasts. The really creepy stuff is where the girls have completely flat chests and are obviously like 10, and the otaku still drool over them.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']He is my Master isn't as creepy as most stuff in my opinion. At least, the girls have breasts. The really creepy stuff is where the girls have completely flat chests and are obviously like 10, and the otaku still drool over them.[/QUOTE]

Kanamemo. What a coincidence, Raz loves that one too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Oh, all right then. What's that one where a group of like 10 year olds wear skimpy outfits and pilot mech suit things? Raz should watch that next.

He is my Master isn't as creepy as most stuff in my opinion. At least, the girls have breasts. The really creepy stuff is where the girls have completely flat chests and are obviously like 10, and the otaku still drool over them.[/QUOTE]

Find me the name and I'll look into it. Maybe I would be interested in watching it, but it definitely wouldn't be because it has 10 year old girls in skimpy outfits.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Kanamemo. What a coincidence, Raz loves that one too.[/QUOTE]

I don't love He is my Master, but I do love Kanamemo. However, I don't love it because three of the characters are little girls, which is what you seem to be implying. :p

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Kanamemo. What a coincidence, Raz loves that one too.[/QUOTE]
I'll admit that I enjoyed Kyo no Go no Ni (the OAV not the TV). It amused me. I watched the first couple episodes of He is my Master too, back when it first aired, and I found it amusing, but not enough for me to watch the entire thing.

[quote name='Razzuel']Find me the name and I'll look into it. Maybe I would be interested in watching it, but it definitely wouldn't be because it has 10 year old girls in skimpy outfits.[/QUOTE]
Found it! Sky Girls. I remember I downloaded it at one point, but watched the first episode and deleted it.

Speaking of He is My Master, I remember the show coming up on a forum I frequented a long time ago. I heard that it was a decent show, but Kirin makes it seem as if it's just about showing off little 10 year old girls.

So which is it? A decent show or something you could go to jail for watching?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Found it! Sky Girls. I remember I downloaded it at one point, but watched the first episode and deleted it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I have stumbled upon this show before. The only problem is that it hasn't been licensed for a North American release, so it might be some time before I can watch it—if it even gets licensed at all.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Speaking of He is My Master, I remember the show coming up on a forum I frequented a long time ago. I heard that it was a decent show, but Kirin makes it seem as if it's just about showing off little 10 year old girls.

So which is it? A decent show or something you could go to jail for watching?[/QUOTE]

Izumi and Mitsuki are fourteen and thirteen respectively. :p

You aren't going to go to jail for watching it. It's a pretty good gag comedy. If you don't have a problem with the picture Kirin posted (and them being in other outfits), or them being nude while taking a bath, or Izumi being harassed by everyone, then you will be fine.

You could even go check out the ANN review if you want a better idea of how the show is structured. Here's the link: ANN He is My Master review

So I've watched a lot of anime recently. Finished Outlaw Star, which was fun but really hit or miss. The Jailbreak episode and the Hot Springs Episode were awesome, but the ending felt... out of place, I guess. I didn't get most of it. Watched Ushio and Tora, which was kinda fun but completely forgettable. I finally finished the first season of Ranma 1/2, and I gotta admit it grew on me. It clicked around episode 10, after that I blew through the rest of it. Kinda disappointing that the last episode was a recap, but at least there's six more seasons and some ovas to watch.
Watched Cyber City Odeo 808- The first one was neat, but the other two sucked.
I also rented two movies from the library- Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers. I didn't care for Paprika at all. I get it was supposed to be dream logic, but it still didn't make too much sense and was just boring. Tokyo Godfathers, however, was pretty good. The only part I didn't really like was
the back story of the homeless girl. It could've been fleshed out more. Her dog died, she stabbed her dad, and then met him at the end? Was that all?
Right now I'm watching Steel Angel Kurumi season 1, and I'm going to start Full Metal Alchemist again after I got side tracked watching through the first two seasons of Heroes.

[quote name='kewlrabbit']So I've watched a lot of anime recently. Finished Outlaw Star, which was fun but really hit or miss. The Jailbreak episode and the Hot Springs Episode were awesome, but the ending felt... out of place, I guess. I didn't get most of it. Watched Ushio and Tora, which was kinda fun but completely forgettable. I finally finished the first season of Ranma 1/2, and I gotta admit it grew on me. It clicked around episode 10, after that I blew through the rest of it. Kinda disappointing that the last episode was a recap, but at least there's six more seasons and some ovas to watch.
Watched Cyber City Odeo 808- The first one was neat, but the other two sucked.
I also rented two movies from the library- Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers. I didn't care for Paprika at all. I get it was supposed to be dream logic, but it still didn't make too much sense and was just boring. Tokyo Godfathers, however, was pretty good. The only part I didn't really like was
the back story of the homeless girl. It could've been fleshed out more. Her dog died, she stabbed her dad, and then met him at the end? Was that all?
Right now I'm watching Steel Angel Kurumi season 1, and I'm going to start Full Metal Alchemist again after I got side tracked watching through the first two seasons of Heroes.[/QUOTE]

I love Outlaw Star. It really clicked for me for some reason. The Telepathic Cactus episode is one of my favorites.

Ushio and Tora is awesome. It's a shame that the anime ran so short. It's at the top of my "manga that I wish were released in English" list. The manga is 30 or so volumes long.

Did anyone check out the cover art for the US version of the Spicy Wolf light novel? Honestly if I walked in a store and saw that I would assume it was a trashy romance novel and ignore it. I can understand that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience but they could definitely do a better job on that cover.

[quote name='Razzuel']Izumi and Mitsuki are fourteen and thirteen respectively. :p

You aren't going to go to jail for watching it. It's a pretty good gag comedy. If you don't have a problem with the picture Kirin posted (and them being in other outfits), or them being nude while taking a bath, or Izumi being harassed by everyone, then you will be fine.

You could even go check out the ANN review if you want a better idea of how the show is structured. Here's the link: ANN He is My Master review[/QUOTE]

Here's another ANN review of the show that just went up for this week's Shelf Life column, and this one's not written by a potential pedophile with a terrible sense of humor:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2009-10-05

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Did anyone check out the cover art for the US version of the Spicy Wolf light novel? Honestly if I walked in a store and saw that I would assume it was a trashy romance novel and ignore it. I can understand that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience but they could definitely do a better job on that cover.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that's a terrible cover...

As dumb as it may sound this cover will probably stop me from picking it up. I couldn't read something with a cover like that in public or in front of friends/family. Something thing that really annoys me is that in attempt to appease fans they are going to include a slipcover(With the original artwork) in the Dec issue of Yen Plus. So unless people have already subscribed to the magazine they have to shell out so extra cash...

I just got my copy of Andrew W.K.'s Gundam Rock CD and I'm enjoying it alot. Oddly enough my favorite tracks are his dub of the opening narration and Garma Zabi's Funeral Speech.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Did anyone check out the cover art for the US version of the Spicy Wolf light novel? Honestly if I walked in a store and saw that I would assume it was a trashy romance novel and ignore it. I can understand that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience but they could definitely do a better job on that cover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that cover is fucking atrocious.

That's the problem. They shouldn't be trying to appeal to a wider audience. In doing so, they are alienating their core readers. I heard good things about Spice & Wolf and was thinking about picking up the novel since I haven't read one in a while, but now I'm sure as hell I won't be doing that. I guess I'll just stick to the anime when it releases.

[quote name='Indignate']That's the problem. They shouldn't be trying to appeal to a wider audience. In doing so, they are alienating their core readers.[/QUOTE]
If you read through the comments the fans(except for a few) are extremely understanding with why they changed the cover. The problem most of them have is that the cover just looks horrible and doesn't suit the character.

Funny, I'd much rather be seen reading a vaguely romance-looking book than an anime book in public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have now finished watching Kannagi. I thought it was terrific. The first two episodes were amazing—these episodes basically focused only on Nagi and Jin. After the first two episodes the show took a different structure, since it introduced quite a few more characters, and the show ended up being a funny slice of life story around these characters—oh, I don't want to forget to mention that the characters in Kannagi are fantastic, which is regardless of the fact that each of them fits an anime archetype. The subsequent episodes are just as fantastic as the first two, but with less seriousness. The show ends up coming back to the seriousness near the last two episodes of the show, so it turns out to be a nice overall format. I thought this was another perfect ending; especially those last couple scenes—hilarious!

Speaking of humor, the humor in this show is great; the show had me laughing multiple times per episode. I was surprised of how many puns there were. The only other pun I vividly remember is from Clannad, but instead of being natural like the puns in Kannagi, the pun in Clannad had to be explained through a subtitle note. Also, Nagi's ridiculous laugh that she makes after using a pun really pushes things over the top.

The subtitles were fantastic. As far as I could tell the English was perfect. Thank god there are people who can actually fully grasp the English language. However, I did have one problem, but this is no fault against the subtitles. Some of the dialog in Kannagi happens at lightning speed; there are even times when two people are talking at the same time. I sometimes had trouble keeping up with what was being said, but this is not the show's fault—comprehending fast speech through subtitles is inherently difficult, so neither the show or the subtitles are at fault.

One more thing: the video quality of Kannagi is amazing! Absolutely stunning! There are fourteen episodes spread across two discs. That's two hours and forty five minutes of Kannagi per disc; and that's not even considering the text-less opening/closing and previews. I don't know how they fit seven episodes on one disc while completely destroying the video quality of DVDs that only have three episodes per disc. The company that did the DVD authoring is Nightjar, LLC. I don't know what kind of sorcery they used to achieve such fidelity, but hopefully any other shows they author in the future turn out this superb. I am still in complete amazement; who would have known that one of the best looking DVDs I own is the one with seven episodes per disc—simply astonishing.

So yeah, Kannagi fucking rocks!

I finished watching Welcome to the NHK yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to say, I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't love it.

Not sure what im gonna watch next. I'm thinking about the ROD series, but I cant get my stupid converter to sync the audio & video right.

I'm gonna have to go with KL on this one. Underage/harem anime are pretty much all for the most creepiest of guys. It is FAR less creepy to just watch some hentai in my opinion.

[quote name='pete5883']Funny, I'd much rather be seen reading a vaguely romance-looking book than an anime book in public.[/QUOTE]
I could careless if I'm seen reading manga in public. But I draw the line with manga with slightly ecchi covers. Again my problem with the US cover isn't that they changed it. My problem is that they did such a shitty job with the artwork.... that grin looks fucking creepy.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']It is FAR less creepy to just watch some hentai in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
No... just no.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I could careless if I'm seen reading manga in public. But I draw the line with manga with slightly ecchi covers. Again my problem with the US cover isn't that they changed it. My problem is that they did such a shitty job with the artwork.... that grin looks fucking creepy.[/QUOTE]
I actually didn't look too closely, that grin is wrong. But it's a lot harder to notice than the other cover.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Cool, how'd you manage that?[/QUOTE]

I'm working as guest coordinator for an anime convention in the Midwest, and Wendy Powell is our first confirmed guest for next year, so she had called me to talk about a couple things. She's a peach, we had fun!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm working as guest coordinator for an anime convention in the Midwest, and Wendy Powell is our first confirmed guest for next year, so she had called me to talk about a couple things. She's a peach, we had fun![/QUOTE]

A peach? Really?

It's okay, i'm just jealous :cry:.

Dang, that's pretty awesome. Sounds like a fun job. Does it pay, or is it a volunteer-type thing? Either way, sounds like it's right up your alley.

BTW, I don't think I've watched any anime in a month now. Oh well. I'll get back to it, eventually, I'm sure.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dang, that's pretty awesome. Sounds like a fun job. Does it pay, or is it a volunteer-type thing? Either way, sounds like it's right up your alley.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's strictly volunteer work. I'd been doing guest duties for a couple Midwest cons for several years before moving to Japan, which is how I made so many friends in the industry, and now that I'm back I've started up again. It's a fun little side-project, and I get to meet new people. Wendy is hooking me up with Chris Patton and Todd Haberkorn now, too, so my circle grows ever-larger!

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dang, that's pretty awesome. Sounds like a fun job. Does it pay, or is it a volunteer-type thing? Either way, sounds like it's right up your alley.

BTW, I don't think I've watched any anime in a month now. Oh well. I'll get back to it, eventually, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been watching much either, but I started Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and i'm hooked :).

[quote name='the_punisher']I haven't been watching much either, but I started Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and i'm hooked :).[/QUOTE]

I'm playing through the game now and was wondering how the anime holds up. Does it follow the original storyline closely? I would kind of like it if it veered off in it's own direction throughout so that It wouldn't feel like you're just watching the game now.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm working as guest coordinator for an anime convention in the Midwest, and Wendy Powell is our first confirmed guest for next year, so she had called me to talk about a couple things. She's a peach, we had fun![/QUOTE]

This explains a lot about your love of dubs and the American companies.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']No... just no.[/quote]

Really? I've seen guys make birthday cakes for their favorite harem girl. Guys buy pillows and figures and posters and statues and more to be surrounded with their 2d love. Guys that watch hentai fap and move on just like any other pr0n. Therefore, less creepy (depending on the hentai I suppose).

I just got done watching the first episode of Sasameki Koto. It's one of this Fall's new anime. The show has potential to be something great. Although, I am already really into the music; the music sounds fresh and complemented the show greatly—I really like it. Sasameki Koto is a slice-of-life, yuri high school drama. It may not be on the same level as Aoi Hana right now, but hopefully it blossoms into something truly great.

bread's done
Back