Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='the_punisher']Tried to watch Kurau but the first episode sucked so i'll come back to it eventually. I know it's bad, but i usually end up judging an anime on its first episode.[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot. And the first episode is very different from the rest of the series.

[quote name='the_punisher']I tried to get back into Le Chevalier D'eon after putting it on-hold at episode 5, but couldn't. Too much talking, not enough action.[/QUOTE]

You're still an idiot.

[quote name='the_punisher']I finished the second of the three OVA's for R.O.D., but it's been really bad so far. I'm only watching it so i can watch the series without wondering about the OVA.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what anybody could possibly dislike about the Read or Die OVA, even if I like the TV series more. The characters are great, the action is solid, the music is amazing, and the animation is stellar. Idiot.

[quote name='the_punisher']And, to end on a good note, i started watching Full Metal Panic!. I knew i would like it from the start, it just has something about it that made me want to keep watching and watching, not even realizing it'd been 20x minutes and the episode was over. This hasn't happened to me since Eureka Seven. I just finished the first disk, but i plan on finishing the series and seeing the long-awaited FUMOFFU, as well as Second Raid even though many people have called it disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Fumoffu and Second Raid are both *vastly* superior to the mediocre first series. If anybody told you differently, they're fucking idiots, too.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Fumoffu and Second Raid are both *vastly* superior to the mediocre first series. If anybody told you differently, they're fucking idiots, too.[/QUOTE]
The only things that were superior in the first season were the boobs. That said I still enjoyed the first season of FMP alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that Naruto is going into fillers again. So I guess I'll drop that for a while and go check out some other shows.

I'm reading vol 3 of NGE: The shinji ikari raising project and I love how they turned Gendo into a such a fool.

Can't believe people are actually defending the ROD OVA. It's so fucking stupid, so much so that I can't even begin. I can't think of anything really GOOD about it, other than a couple of scenes with Agent Paper, and even then they were only good because of how dumb they were.

And maybe I'm wrong about Second Raid, can't wait to watch. As for Kurau, it can wait.

[quote name='the_punisher']Can't believe people are actually defending the ROD OVA. It's so fucking stupid, so much so that I can't even begin. I can't think of anything really GOOD about it, other than a couple of scenes with Agent Paper, and even then they were only good because of how dumb they were.

And maybe I'm wrong about Second Raid, can't wait to watch. As for Kurau, it can wait.[/QUOTE]

You're dead to me. :nottalking:

Finally a new chapter of Reborn! after all the holidays. The future arc is nearly its end, and Tsuna's being badass as usual. I kinda wish they would get rid of all the other characters and just have Tsuna kicking ass. I'm glad he's finally used the
zero point breakthrough again.

[quote name='the_punisher']Can't believe people are actually defending the ROD OVA. It's so fucking stupid, so much so that I can't even begin. I can't think of anything really GOOD about it, other than a couple of scenes with Agent Paper, and even then they were only good because of how dumb they were.[/QUOTE]

Wow, seriously? The ROD OVA is one of my favorite anime, period. The music, atmosphere, characters, setting - everything about it just felt good. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

I thought the ROD OVA was ok.

Awesome, Bandai is going to start streaming some of the older Gundam series online. I've kinda been in the mood to rewatch some of the older stuff lately.

Got done with FLAG today. It was a pretty interesting show. I thought there was going to be a lot more action, but it relied more on the relationships between the characters and the politics of the situation.

I also have to say that it has one of the coolest art boxes I've seen.

I finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last night. I am reluctant to call it awful because it has some redeeming qualities. It's probably safer and more accurate to say that it's mediocre.

I was incredibly bored by the whole show. Part of that boredom stemmed from none of the humor being funny. The biggest reaction that the show elicited from me was a chuckle, and that was only about three or four times during the whole show. The other reason for my boredom was all of the incomprehensible bullshit that happened during the first six episodes. I understand the underlying story, but the insane events felt pointless to me.

I watched the show in chronological order. Do not even try to tell me that the show is magically amazing if it is watched in broadcast order. They are the same episodes, and I can imagine how I would feel if their order was mixed up. The show would of been even more incomprehensible, and I probably would of ending up hating it instead of only disliking it.

The first episode of Haruhi was awful. At first I was completely confused because it was so terrible. However, I eventually realized that it was being intentionally awful in order to be funny. The problem with this approach is that if the humor fails, then the only thing left is an episode with ugly visuals, terrible voice acting, and a horrible and cliche story that has atrocious production values. None it was funny for me. Also, the last episode makes some large mistakes. There is about five minutes or more of Yuki, sitting in the club room alone, reading a book. I hated that part; it was so damn boring.

I didn't like any of the characters. The problem with Haruhi was that she was aggressive and brash to the point of being unlikable; she didn't have any redeeming qualities to balance out her unlikable traits. A good example of an extremely likable character with unlikable traits is Naru from Ghost Hunt. Mikuru was predictable and boring; the only purpose for her character is for her to be cute and sexy in all of those outfits. I know that Haruhi even says this in the show, and that Mikuru is supposed to be hilarious, but I did not find her funny. Kyon was probably the closet character to being likable, but I didn't have an interest in him and his involvement in the SOS Brigade. I understand that some of these traits, if not all, are intentional, but the characters' shallowness, lack of development over the course of the show, and humorless nature, left me disinterested and bored.

The redeeming qualities that I alluded to earlier were the visuals, the English dub, and the rock concert near the end of the show. I love Kyoto Animation's animation, colors, and style, and Haruhi was no exception. The English dub was fantastic. All of the voice actors fit their characters, and I really enjoyed listening to how everyone talked. Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee were my favorites out of the cast. Finally, the rock concert is amazing. Kyoto Animation put a lot of detail into how the characters manipulated their instruments, and the movements of the characters matched the sound of the music, which I love. Also, God Knows is a fantastic song.

I haven't seen it, because I know I'd hate it, but ugly visuals and poor production values? I thought this was supposed to be one of those "omg epitome of animes all animes fans will love" things with high production values and smooth, fluid animation.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Sorry, Raz. I can no longer defend you.[/QUOTE]

That's all right; I've grown accustomed to being alone.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I haven't seen it, because I know I'd hate it, but ugly visuals and poor production values? I thought this was supposed to be one of those "omg epitome of animes all animes fans will love" things with high production values and smooth, fluid animation.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I was not being explicit enough in my description. Most of the first episode is a film made by the characters in the show. When I said ugly visuals I was alluding to the the show being in 4:3 and having that home-made-video type of bad video quality, and when I said poor production values, I was talking about the special effects, the acting, and the cinematography. It is not immediately made apparent that it is being intentionally awful in order to be funny, but because of the narration, you eventually realize that it's supposed to be a joke. Like I said before, the problem with this approach is that if the humor fails, then the only thing that's left is an awful episode, and I did not find the humor funny.

The tail end of the first episode and the rest of the show has the high production values and amazing animation that you were talking about.

I think part of the problem is seeing the "first" episode first. I saw it in the same order you did and thought it was stupid too, but then I realized when they were talking about making their awesome movie during the other episodes that it probably would have been a little funnier with knowing the characters a little better and the setup.

I didn't really like the show that much either, but the first "incomprehensible" episodes were the only parts I enjoyed.

I think when I first watched it there was like a week break in between me watching episode 0 and the actual series because it sorta turned me off to it, but when I got back into it the rest of the series seemed fantastic.

[quote name='Razzuel']I didn't like any of the characters. The problem with Haruhi was that she was aggressive and brash to the point of being unlikable; she didn't have any redeeming qualities to balance out her unlikable traits.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I barely made it through the first episode because I cannot stand Haruhi. The animation itself is fine, but the plot leaves a lot to be desired.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last night. I am reluctant to call it awful because it has some redeeming qualities. It's probably safer and more accurate to say that it's mediocre.

I was incredibly bored by the whole show. Part of that boredom stemmed from none of the humor being funny. The biggest reaction that the show elicited from me was a chuckle, and that was only about three or four times during the whole show. The other reason for my boredom was all of the incomprehensible bullshit that happened during the first six episodes. I understand the underlying story, but the insane events felt pointless to me.

I watched the show in chronological order. Do not even try to tell me that the show is magically amazing if it is watched in broadcast order. They are the same episodes, and I can imagine how I would feel if their order was mixed up. The show would of been even more incomprehensible, and I probably would of ending up hating it instead of only disliking it.

The first episode of Haruhi was awful. At first I was completely confused because it was so terrible. However, I eventually realized that it was being intentionally awful in order to be funny. The problem with this approach is that if the humor fails, then the only thing left is an episode with ugly visuals, terrible voice acting, and a horrible and cliche story that has atrocious production values. None it was funny for me. Also, the last episode makes some large mistakes. There is about five minutes or more of Yuki, sitting in the club room alone, reading a book. I hated that part; it was so damn boring.

I didn't like any of the characters. The problem with Haruhi was that she was aggressive and brash to the point of being unlikable; she didn't have any redeeming qualities to balance out her unlikable traits. A good example of an extremely likable character with unlikable traits is Naru from Ghost Hunt. Mikuru was predictable and boring; the only purpose for her character is for her to be cute and sexy in all of those outfits. I know that Haruhi even says this in the show, and that Mikuru is supposed to be hilarious, but I did not find her funny. Kyon was probably the closet character to being likable, but I didn't have an interest in him and his involvement in the SOS Brigade. I understand that some of these traits, if not all, are intentional, but the characters' shallowness, lack of development over the course of the show, and humorless nature, left me disinterested and bored.

The redeeming qualities that I alluded to earlier were the visuals, the English dub, and the rock concert near the end of the show. I love Kyoto Animation's animation, colors, and style, and Haruhi was no exception. The English dub was fantastic. All of the voice actors fit their characters, and I really enjoyed listening to how everyone talked. Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee were my favorites out of the cast. Finally, the rock concert is amazing. Kyoto Animation put a lot of detail into how the characters manipulated their instruments, and the movements of the characters matched the sound of the music, which I love. Also, God Knows is a fantastic song.[/QUOTE]

If I may quote KL:

You're dead to me. :nottalking:

[quote name='pete5883']Raz is on the money. Asahina was unbearable.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I didn't really like the show that much either, but the first "incomprehensible" episodes were the only parts I enjoyed.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='CrimsonSnipette']:applause: I barely made it through the first episode because I cannot stand Haruhi. The animation itself is fine, but the plot leaves a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I am quite surprised with the number of people who have sentiments similar to my own. Thanks for your opinions! It's really awesome to see that I'm not alone with some of my feelings.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I think part of the problem is seeing the "first" episode first. I saw it in the same order you did and thought it was stupid too, but then I realized when they were talking about making their awesome movie during the other episodes that it probably would have been a little funnier with knowing the characters a little better and the setup.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. After watching that episode, I also thought that it would have probably fared better if it was placed later in the show, such as being placed around the culture festival episode. If I knew the characters before watching that episode, then maybe I wouldn't have hated it, but since I didn't find the rest of the show funny, I can only wonder if that would have actually helped.

[quote name='the_punisher']If I may quote KL:

You're dead to me. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for a more detailed and intellectual response from you. It's a shame that this is the only retort you could think of.

[quote name='Razzuel']

I was hoping for a more detailed and intellectual response from you. It's a shame that this is the only retort you could think of.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never read another one of his posts before. They're all basically the same.

[quote name='Razzuel']I was hoping for a more detailed and intellectual response from you. It's a shame that this is the only retort you could think of.[/QUOTE]

But it's still funny when *I* do it... right?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Apparently you've never read another one of his posts before. They're all basically the same.[/QUOTE]

No, I have, but maybe, just maybe, he was going to respond with something that's intellectually charged. Never mind, you're right. I can't believe I put that much faith in him—I was only kidding myself.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But it's still funny when *I* do it... right?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is. You've had your fair share of intelligent responses, as well as a great number of witty and hyperbolic retorts that have yet to fail in their humor.

I'm pretty sure asahina was supposed to be annoying, I mean she's the personality type who completely imposes her will on anyone and everyone.

I honestly really enjoyed it, and I think that the broadcast order is the absolute best way to enjoy the show.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm pretty sure asahina was supposed to be annoying, I mean she's the personality type who completely imposes her will on anyone and everyone.[/QUOTE] I think you're confusing Asahina with Haruhi. Asahina was the one crying, moaning, and apologizing for everything.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last night. I am reluctant to call it awful because it has some redeeming qualities. It's probably safer and more accurate to say that it's mediocre.

The redeeming qualities that I alluded to earlier were the visuals, the English dub, and the rock concert near the end of the show. I love Kyoto Animation's animation, colors, and style, and Haruhi was no exception. The English dub was fantastic. All of the voice actors fit their characters, and I really enjoyed listening to how everyone talked. Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee were my favorites out of the cast. Finally, the rock concert is amazing. Kyoto Animation put a lot of detail into how the characters manipulated their instruments, and the movements of the characters matched the sound of the music, which I love. Also, God Knows is a fantastic song.[/QUOTE]
I don't post in this thread much because almost all of you have horrible taste in anime, but I just wanted to say I completely agree with this.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't post in this thread much because almost all of you have horrible taste in anime, but I just wanted to say I completely agree with this.[/QUOTE]

Woo hoo! Thanks for your input!

[quote name='crystalklear64']woah fairy tail is an anime, and it has 13 eps already?

i always heard this was just one piece with magic. if so, i need to get to watchin[/QUOTE]

i'm a One Piece fan, it's probably my favorite anime & manga, yet i was only able to watch 13 minutes of Fairy Tail before having to turn it off. it's amazingly terrible.

[quote name='pete5883']I think you're confusing Asahina with Haruhi. Asahina was the one crying, moaning, and apologizing for everything.[/QUOTE]You're right, my bad.

So the Lady Gagogogo fan is saying we have shitty taste? I'm hurt. :cry:

Is it wrong that I actually want one of the crazy 3D mouse pads?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I want to say yes, but I will instead say no.

Anyway, as some of you might remember, I'm on a Monster Rancher kick right now. But you may not know that along side of that MR kick is my Chrono Trigger kick. Anyway, somebody told me that there's a CT OVA and I'm just curious if it's good or if it'll make me cry tears of blood.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']lol thanks. What are your favorite anime shows?[/QUOTE]
From my username you can probably tell I'm an Evangelion fan. Mecha, anything by Leiji Matsumoto, and shoujo being my favorite genres. Huge Gundam fan, though only stuff in the UC timeline. Wing, SEED, 00, etc. It all sucks. Gunbuster, Macross, Saikano, Kare Kano, Gungrave, Captain Tylor, Lodoss War, RoD, Witchblade, Twelve Kingdoms, Now and Then Here and There are some of my other favorites.

I don't tend to post in these threads because newer anime holds nothing for me. Also I despise shounen and think it's a blight upon the industry.

[quote name='Chronis']^^I want to say yes, but I will instead say no.

Anyway, as some of you might remember, I'm on a Monster Rancher kick right now. But you may not know that along side of that MR kick is my Chrono Trigger kick. Anyway, somebody told me that there's a CT OVA and I'm just curious if it's good or if it'll make me cry tears of blood.[/QUOTE]

From what I recall it's short and has more to do with the CT universe creatures than the cast. I do remember getting bored rather quickly and not finishing it though.

[quote name='Chronis']Anyway, somebody told me that there's a CT OVA and I'm just curious if it's good or if it'll make me cry tears of blood.[/QUOTE]

It's all kinds of terrible, but if you're a Chrono Trigger fan, you *need* to see it at least once.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']From my username you can probably tell I'm an Evangelion fan. Mecha, anything by Leiji Matsumoto, and shoujo being my favorite genres. Huge Gundam fan, though only stuff in the UC timeline. Wing, SEED, 00, etc. It all sucks. Gunbuster, Macross, Saikano, Kare Kano, Gungrave, Captain Tylor, Lodoss War, RoD, Witchblade, Twelve Kingdoms, Now and Then Here and There are some of my other favorites.

I don't tend to post in these threads because newer anime holds nothing for me. Also I despise shounen and think it's a blight upon the industry.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so you're all about the mecha. That's cool. Evangelion is one of my favorites too, but I haven't seen many other mecha anime... probably going to watch Macross 7 at some point though. I think a lot of the older stuff might seem a bit dated for me (ie. Escaflowne was even pushing it). But to each his/her own. You probably grew up watching them so makes more sense (not a knock on your age or anything, lol, just sayin').

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I think a lot of the older stuff might seem a bit dated for me (ie. Escaflowne was even pushing it).[/QUOTE]

This makes me sad. Escaflowne still holds up *incredibly* well, and it has such high production values that you can barely tell its age. There's probably something wrong with you.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This makes me sad. Escaflowne still holds up *incredibly* well, and it has such high production values that you can barely tell its age. There's probably something wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I still liked it a lot (I gave it a 8/10 on MAL). It just seemed liked an older show, that's all. Maybe it was just the art style (ie. the really pointy noses) that I wasn't used to or something. And the ending theme song seems very 80s, haha. Like, Detective Conan came out around the same time, and if I hadn't known better I would have thought it was newer. Just how I perceived it. I'm not like a huge anime buff or anything, so...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, if you think Escaflowne is dated then wow... That's pretty much why I don't post here.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This makes me sad. Escaflowne still holds up *incredibly* well, and it has such high production values that you can barely tell its age. There's probably something wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

What? It's readily apparent the show is from the 90's. I dont' know how you could attempt to argue it does not look dated. I think it still looks great, but the age is obvious.

I've seen some clips of Escaflowne and it defiantly looks like it was made in the 90's. So I don't really understand why calling it dated would be wrong?

Just watched the uncensored 1st ep of Seikon no Qwaser. Supernatural fighting show where they get their powers from drinking Breast Milk.

Between this and the show about panties, it does make me worry a bit about japanese culture.

[quote name='Bezerker']Just watched the uncensored 1st ep of Seikon no Qwaser. Supernatural fighting show where they get their powers from drinking Breast Milk.[/QUOTE]

Sexualized underage girls drinking breast milk? Sign Razz up! :D

Well, there is really only one "Qwaser" (breast drinker) right now, and its a 13 year old boy named Sasha. Of course, he sees something "special" in the girl with the F cups. The ED basically just shows all of them taking off their tops, so I can only imagine something stupid like he'll get different powers from different breasts...

It looks like the only decent thing this season is going to be Durarara.

I've watched a ton of anime, but have only dabbed myself into a little of manga. If anyone could give me some recommendations on some, it would be appreciated.

Complete series I already own:
D-Gray Man
Death Note

[quote name='Ichigo1993']I've watched a ton of anime, but have only dabbed myself into a little of manga. If anyone could give me some recommendations on some, it would be appreciated.

Complete series I already own:
D-Gray Man
Death Note[/QUOTE]

Manga? Evangelion, Nausicaa, 20th Century Boys, and Monster for starters.

I finished watching Natsu no Arashi 2 this afternoon. It's awesome for the same reasons that the first season is awesome. This anime is clever and stylish, and the only other place that I have seen a similar style is from the first half of Moon Phase, which is also directed by the same director as Natsu no Arashi.

This show really shines with its humor. The show is ridiculous and it revels in that ridiculousness. There are quite a few running gags throughout the show, and some of them are even twists on gags from the first season. Most of the time the show is hilarious, but unfortunately the second half of the show did not induce as much laughs as the first half. This is a result of the show getting slightly tiresome; they reuse a good number of gags, and they sometimes lose steam after seeing them a couple times. However, do not let that stop you from watching it; that is only a minor blemish on the show, which is fantastic overall.

The second season doesn't have as much drama as the first season—the first season didn't have a lot either—but every bit of drama in the show is spectacular. It makes me wonder why they didn't have more dramatic moments and push the story forward.

It's a shame that Natsu no Arashi doesn't get more love. It's incredibly stylish, has a wonderful cast of characters, and it's a joy to watch. If you like time travel and hilarious circumstances, then you definitely need to watch Natsu no Arashi.

I like Rei and everything but:

"Mecha, anything by Leiji Matsumoto, and shoujo being my favorite genres. Huge Gundam fan, though only stuff in the UC timeline. Wing, SEED, 00, etc. It all sucks. Gunbuster, Macross, Saikano, Kare Kano, Gungrave, Captain Tylor, Lodoss War, RoD, Witchblade, Twelve Kingdoms, Now and Then Here and There"

Matsumoto sucks.
Shojou is often as vapid and empty as it's shonen counterpart
Gundam is ok.
Witchblade and Gunbuster?!? Really?!??
Lady Gaga is really, really, really terrible.
Also Evangelion is pretentious garbage, but that discussion has been done to death.
Kare-Kano is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. It's a show about the "not-problems" of popular kids. Don't even get me started on Takefumi.

There, now your tastes in anime are also HORRIBLE. Welcome to the thread again. It's good to have another "old school" anime fan around.

"Manga? Evangelion, Nausicaa, 20th Century Boys, and Monster for starters. "
For starters? I wouldn't recommend Eva, or Nausicaa though I've only seen the anime for each. Monster however, is a sure bet. The manga is much better than the anime.

Oh and I'm getting back around to D. Gray-man right now. For a hundred ep series, there certainly is a lot of eps where nothing happens at all. Still I'm enjoying myself when it does get to doing something. InB4 "OMG D. GRAY-MAN IS CRAP, YOU KNOW NOTHING BOUT ANIMESSSS". This stuff reminds me of a shirt I had around 10 years ago. It read, "Your favorite band sucks." People would get irritated and say, "What's your favorite band then, asshole?" I'd just smile and say, "I'm mostly into the same stuff you are."

bread's done
Back