Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
The only things I have ever bought from Aniplex were the generic Blu-ray volumes of Madoka Magica. Even then, $35 per volume, even used, still felt overpriced. Luckily I sold all 3 for $40 and made a minor profit.

Gundam Unicorn is another one. I will settle for the DVDs until they remake the Blu-rays into one 2 or 3 disc set. I refuse to pay $120 minimum for a 6-episode series, even if it is Gundam.

Get a region free or uk bluray blayer and reverse import the blurays from there.

Aniplex stuff is alot cheaper that way.

damn i check the daily deals every single day and I must have missed it. It updates 1 am eastern time ,but damn i would love to get it "on sale". The only two series I own from them is bakemongatari and durarara. I loved those shows so much and are in my top 10 anime so I had to buy them and im missing nisemonogatari and I will buy that eventually but there is no rush for now as like all dvds I own I have seen them already. I only buy them to support the series, Most of them are still sealed.
This was probably a little more than a year ago, and if I didn't stalk the daily deals as you do as well I probably would have never seen it either. Unfortunately it is still way more than I would ever want to pay for the series (or at least in parts), so I just decided to pass on them anyways. Oh Aniplex, how I hate your guts sometimes. :*(

Get a region free or uk bluray blayer and reverse import the blurays from there.

But where's the fun in that? :*(

Redline blu-ray is currently $9.01 on Amazon which is the lowest price I've seen it at.

Edit: And the price went back up again.

Import from the UK? Are you talking about these?

This was probably a little more than a year ago, and if I didn't stalk the daily deals as you do as well I probably would have never seen it either. Unfortunately it is still way more than I would ever want to pay for the series (or at least in parts), so I just decided to pass on them anyways. Oh Aniplex, how I hate your guts sometimes. :*(

But where's the fun in that? :*(
Do you remember how much they were when they were on sale?

Yea, it's dub only. Saban dub only, to be precise. Putting the sub would not only double the disc count (as they would have to be on separate discs) it is rather pointless with the orange boxes out.

Import from the UK? Are you talking about these?

Do you remember how much they were when they were on sale?
UK has a couple things we don't so far like cheap Aniplelx blus like Madoka (Gurren Lagann Blus announced as well), Persona 4 with both audio tracks, Bebop blus and Geass blurays.

Yea, it's dub only. Saban dub only, to be precise. Putting the sub would not only double the disc count (as they would have to be on separate discs) it is rather pointless with the orange boxes out.
Yep, dub only due to the editing.

I know Funimation mentioned on a recent ANNcast that the episodes in this box set are basically TV rips. As there are no real masters for this edited version.

But at the end of the day, all this box set is is basically Funimation's attempt to get people to buy another DBZ set purely for the Ocean Dub(since a lot of people grew up with that dub).

I'm tempted to pick this up. It'll be a great replacement for my old VHS tapes.
I got mine in yesterday and it was pretty much the old dvds that were released by pioneer, they look alittle better but by no means close to the dragon boxes. I was also disappointed by the lack of bonus footage and extra features. The box was neat though.

I got mine in yesterday and it was pretty much the old dvds that were released by pioneer, they look alittle better but by no means close to the dragon boxes. I was also disappointed by the lack of bonus footage and extra features. The box was neat though.
That's awesome you got it already, I read that some places like RightStuf shipped them early. The images online make the box look really wide, is it really that shelf space-consuming in person? Sucks that it's also so lacking in special features. Was the 48-page book somewhat well done?

I was going to buy this, but if it really is the same as the Pioneer discs (which I already own) then I will pass.

Now if they put out the rest of the series with this dub (which IIRC aired only on Canada), I would get those.

I actually just did that picked up region free player sr212s for $60 and ordered Bakemonogatari 1 and 2 from amazon for $60 shipped. From what I could tell it looks like it has the same content as the US release. If it all works correctly I'll pick up some more titles I'll finally have Tatami Galaxy.

I'm hearing this is the version that aired on Toonami which makes me ask the following:

1. Does this collection contain all the next episode previews and recaps? The Pioneer discs are missing a lot of them.

2. Does it include this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqDX-9U_hGo

My only concern is how difficult it might be to get the disc out without scratching it.
I have the "James Bond 50" Blu-ray set that employs a similar book-case design. And while it's kind of a pain to get the discs out, the more immediate worry is trying not to rip the paper sleeves that hold the discs, more-so than actually scratching the discs. However, at least in the case of the Bond set, if you're careful enough and not overly brutish with it, you should be fine.

I actually just did that picked up region free player sr212s for $60 and ordered Bakemonogatari 1 and 2 from amazon for $60 shipped. From what I could tell it looks like it has the same content as the US release. If it all works correctly I'll pick up some more titles I'll finally have Tatami Galaxy.
So wait, you got a region free blu ray payer and then bought JP release Bakemonogatari for 60.00........ If that is what happened it just might be crazy enough to work....

Hmmm and I have been reluctant to drop 150.00 on Bakemonogatari....
I actually found the SR212s at Sears this Saturaday. I tested it using my "Old Boy" UK steelbook and it worked great. The only problem that we might run into is with future Bluray profiles. I have no idea what spec this player is at and I'm certain it will never get a firmware upgrade. So future BDs might not work.

I actually found the SR212s at Sears this Saturaday. I tested it using my "Old Boy" UK steelbook and it worked great. The only problem that we might run into is with future Bluray profiles. I have no idea what spec this player is at and I'm certain it will never get a firmware upgrade. So future BDs might not work.
I don't think we will see firmware support, but it was still the cheapest player I could find the next tier was $150. I think you have to look at what is out now and decide if it's worth it to try this set up. If I were just saving the $30 from the US release of Bake and this set up, I probably would not have done it, but there are other titles I could pick up.

I feel I may invest in one of the region free players sooner rather than later when Fate Zero gets released in the UK.

And updated the OP with Rightstufs's new sale. Up to 33% off manga and books from Yen Press

Do you feel the SOA limited box set is worth $80? That is just for 7 episodes.
If you're a serious anime collector who enjoys the series (and if you have the expendable cash to spare), this is the box set for you. Aniplex USA's box sets are very nice quality and stand-out as great display pieces for your collection.

In addition, their limited edition sets haven't lost their value over time so far. From personal experience, I was able to sell my "Garden of Sinners" Limited Edition DVD Set this summer for a little less than the price I originally paid.

As an example from my personal collection, here are my "Madoka Magica" Limited Edition sets from Aniplex USA.

NISA's sets are the only ones that are worth it for the overall package. You get Aniplex box sets because you want to have the series; not because they're actually high-quality collectibles.

As an example from my personal collection, here are my "Madoka Magica" Limited Edition sets from Aniplex USA.
That is a unusually good picture of someone's anime box sets. :p

Aniplex USA's prices do really need to be adjusted a bit more. They need to do standard releases AND limited. Standard being the barebones edition with just the Blu or DVD itself, similar to the Blue Exorcist sub only release (which is now worthless) that they did last year. Blu/DVD combo sets are obviously too expensive from these guys.

(Please, don't give me a lecture about WHY the prices should be high. I still find it hard on how people justify some of their prices and releases -- To note I do agree that they do have high quality and very good looking releases)

I'm going to Otakon this weekend and I really, really want the Blue Exorcist Blu Ray set but it's $140. I'm not sure if my CAG blood will forgive me if I would purchase such an expensive box set. But I really did like the series a lot. To put more salt in the wound, the DVD version without probably most of Blu ray set goodies is half the price at $70. I wish that was the price...

I'd have to agree that Aniplex's boxsets are nicely done but from a monetary standpoint, it doesnt give you the optimal bang-for-your-buck. This all depends on what you would consider valuable, however. Aniplex usually does release a lot more content than other companies, and has specific items for each series. For NISA, it's always the two thinpack cases with a hardcover artbook inside an irregular sized chipboard box for $50 - highly consistent and always the same.

As everyone noted it all comes down to what you consider the value of the bonuses to be.  For me I only want the content, the bonuses are nice, but I don't need them and don't have the room for them so I will not pay a premium for them.  I am not the market that Aniplex is catering to so I have to look elsewhere.  The barebones UK release work for me and are as close to US prices I think I will see for current and future Aniplex shows.

Viz is having a 20% off sale on all their digital manga.

EDIT: Well, after configuring Google Wallet, I picked up the Evangelion 3-for-1's and a few volumes of Psyren and Ultimo that I don't have physical copies of.

Of course, I wouldn't need Eva if I could find Volume 9 anywhere... Still, $8.99 for 3 volumes is pretty good.

As everyone noted it all comes down to what you consider the value of the bonuses to be. For me I only want the content, the bonuses are nice, but I don't need them and don't have the room for them so I will not pay a premium for them. I am not the market that Aniplex is catering to so I have to look elsewhere. The barebones UK release work for me and are as close to US prices I think I will see for current and future Aniplex shows.
UK release, eh? You sir are a genius. I'll be importing that when it hits next month ($38 shipped compared to $140... heck yes!) . :D I doubt it will play on my US PS3 but I guess it's a good thing I got a PC Blu Ray player.

I have a somewhat-OT question for those of you who've attended anime conventions in the past and browsed the shopping area(s): Are there ever potential deals to be found with regards to the pricier releases (e.g., anything by NIS America or Aniplex)?

I'm attending Otakon this weekend and I plan on browsing the Dealer's Room for the following series:

-Kimi ni Todoke

-Natsume's Book of Friends (Season 3)

-Toradora!

I understand that those are relatively expensive yet readily available online, so I was curious as to whether they're more or less expensive when sold at a convention.

Viz is having a 20% off sale on all their digital manga.

EDIT: Well, after configuring Google Wallet, I picked up the Evangelion 3-for-1's and a few volumes of Psyren and Ultimo that I don't have physical copies of.

Of course, I wouldn't need Eva if I could find Volume 9 anywhere... Still, $8.99 for 3 volumes is pretty good.
Do you know if the Viz app will let you save the manga onto an SD card on an android tablet?

UK release, eh? You sir are a genius. I'll be importing that when it hits next month ($38 shipped compared to $140... heck yes!) . :D I doubt it will play on my US PS3 but I guess it's a good thing I got a PC Blu Ray player.
The US PS3 is region A so it should not work. What software are you using for blu ray playpack on your PC? Does it let you choose regions?

If you can find it, usually at Sears or Kmart, the SR212s blu ray player lets you change regions with the correct code which can be found online and it's $60.

If you're a serious anime collector who enjoys the series (and if you have the expendable cash to spare), this is the box set for you. Aniplex USA's box sets are very nice quality and stand-out as great display pieces for your collection.

In addition, their limited edition sets haven't lost their value over time so far. From personal experience, I was able to sell my "Garden of Sinners" Limited Edition DVD Set this summer for a little less than the price I originally paid.

As someone who keeps their figures and random movies strung about their office (to keep the normal people from bothering me) That picture is delightfully creepy. Good Show!

I have a somewhat-OT question for those of you who've attended anime conventions in the past and browsed the shopping area(s): Are there ever potential deals to be found with regards to the pricier releases (e.g., anything by NIS America or Aniplex)?

I'm attending Otakon this weekend and I plan on browsing the Dealer's Room for the following series:

-Kimi ni Todoke
-Natsume's Book of Friends (Season 3)
-Toradora!

I understand that those are relatively expensive yet readily available online, so I was curious as to whether they're more or less expensive when sold at a convention.
Ive been to Acen a few times and i can tell you that i personally never found any great deals on newer titles, you might get lucky on older stuff though. The best time to buy is the last day becuase the sellers would rather sell something than pack it back up. Thats your best chance to haggle.

There are better deals on manga than videos. Most stations have decent discounts on manga, but DVDs and Blu-rays aren't much cheaper than RightStuf at best. The Aniplex stuff is usually only at their table, which doesn't do any discounts. Although they sometimes have bundles. But at most that is 20% off.

Little tip, do NOT shop at the FUNimation booth unless you really want their free decals or their featured early title. All their stuff is MSRP, they charge tax, and even though they use FYE to sell their stuff, you can't use Backstage Pass or any coupons and stuff.

You'll never get a good deal on anime at cons. Manga is a bit of a stretch. If you're gonna buy something, buy figs cuz you can actually manage a good price if you know what you're looking for.

Yo, Vigilante. I'll be at Otakon this weekend too. :D For me being there the last four years, Aniplex has never given any discount that I know of. As mentioned above, I've seen them do bundles or give out posters for buying stuff, but those discounts were always extremely small. As for NIS America, I really don't buy their stuff, so I couldn't tell you. I doubt it though.

The vast majority of dealers at Otakon tend to overprice all Blus (rockin' like it's 2006) but DVDs sometimes maybe a little cheaper. I remember getting two One Piece sets for $20 a pop (the Part 1, 2, etc. before the collections) which wasn't a bad deal at the time. As for misc. merch like clothing, wall scrolls, buttons, wristbands, necklaces, etc. are usually around normal prices.

A friend of my always swore that Sunday was a the "big sale" with some people at the dealer's room, but it's all about you being a CAG and trying to talk your way into a discount. Just don't try it with the asian dealers... they don't take crap from anybody. xP As mentioned earlier, FYE/Suncoast maintains the DVD/Blus for Funi's booth so obviously keep a Google Shopper app handy and the Amazon app handy to compare prices for merch. ;)

bread's done
Back