Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I think a local book store actually has one like that(I know I've seen Love Hina Again & Spring Special bootlegs).  Is it one of those with japanese audio only w/ chinese & english(more likely engrish) subs?

I don't care about the combo packs other than I'm about to give my bud a bunch of DVDs I don't care to keep. So really it's nice for gifting anime to a friend or going in half-half if a friend doesn't have a BD player.
This is the main thing I like about combo packs, I like to share anime with a buddy but he doesn't have a BD player ._.

Still plan on picking up Ranma 1/2 as well as the Shin Sekei Yori collection 1 coming out, the BD changes look sexy :D

So, I ordered the Love Hina Perfect Collection from SecondSpin. When I got it, I ended up getting a bootleg. I emailed SS and they said they required pictures because they can't guarentee products to be in "mint or near mint condition."

This is what they sent me:

20140110_124138-1.jpg
I've gotten a bootleg Rosario+Vampire season 2 from them before and instead of emailing, I called them at one of the B&M stores. They told me they could process a return if I bring it along with the packing slip. Funny thing is, I bought it for $17 but they processed a $32 return based on the price sticker.

So, I ordered the Love Hina Perfect Collection from SecondSpin. When I got it, I ended up getting a bootleg. I emailed SS and they said they required pictures because they can't guarentee products to be in "mint or near mint condition."

This is what they sent me:

20140110_124138-1.jpg
$99.99 ... :nottalking:

You don't need to know anything about anime or bootlegs in order to know that set is not worth $100. Especially if it's part of your job.

I been hearing about Ramna 1/2 ever since my brother started buying anime since the late 90's and I'm just wondering if the new releases are worth it. Is the series full of filler (like InuYasha eventually was) or is it more of a classic release (like Yu Yu Hakusho) where it follows the manga.
It's not filler as there is no real storyline, just a bunch of wacky character, and insane situations. It's fun and will make you laugh.

$99.99 ... :nottalking:

You don't need to know anything about anime or bootlegs in order to know that set is not worth $100. Especially if it's part of your job.
Oh, I only paid $20 for it. No way in hell I would pay $100 for an anime series with only one good story (the Xmas Special).

Also, I don't know if it's readable on the picture, but the FYE tag calls it "Live Hina." XD

Oh, I only paid $20 for it. No way in hell I would pay $100 for an anime series with only one good story (the Xmas Special).

Also, I don't know if it's readable on the picture, but the FYE tag calls it "Live Hina." XD
I figured you didn't, I was just mocking the guy who took that in for the store. I'm not even sure if the actual Perfect Collection goes for anywhere near that much money anymore (I picked up the singles and the movie three-pack what I now realize was a long time ago :D )

And now I really want to see "Live Hina"

The Bandai sets, depending on which one you get, still goes for between $30-$40. FUNi's original Love Hina release is worth a decent amount because they only printed, like, 10 of them. The Anime Classics version usually goes for around $20-$25.

It's not filler as there is no real storyline, just a bunch of wacky character, and insane situations. It's fun and will make you laugh.
Filler is everything not in the original manga. The anime only stuff are nowhere as good as the manga. Which is sad too as the later stuff are really good.

Wait...people actually LIKE combo packs?

Also, FUNi is the only one who does combo packs. No other anime company does it.

EDIT: I must say, that is some nice cover art for Ranma.
I do. Because not everything I have that has a screen plays bluray. Ripping and encoding takes forever too.

On the long series issue, I am not a fan as i find these 200-300 episodes show tend to be awful(Except Fairy Tale and Ranma). FullMetal, Rurouni Kenshin, The Slayers got it right you can go 52, 65, even 78 but when you go much longer it becomes pointless, and a chore to watch 300 episodes to catch up with the early adopters. Attack on Titan looks like it will be the perfect 52-78 episodes.
one piece should be on your exclusion list :p

also I can't agree with ranma, I didn't even bother buying past season 4 because it gets way to samey and boring since nothing ever happens and it's almost always the same few plots over and over :/

On the long series issue, I am not a fan as i find these 200-300 episodes show tend to be awful(Except Fairy Tale and Ranma). FullMetal, Rurouni Kenshin, The Slayers got it right you can go 52, 65, even 78 but when you go much longer it becomes pointless, and a chore to watch 300 episodes to catch up with the early adopters. Attack on Titan looks like it will be the perfect 52-78 episodes.
That's the main reason I don't bother with shonen's,along with most of them feeling the need to add so many unnecessary characters.

Alrighty, guys. I'll bite on the first Ranma set to see if I like it. My oldest brother and his friends that are a bit older than me have been saying that the series is great and I never touched it since it was so hard to find until now. 

And on a side note, I actually own the mediocre Ranma game on SNES. The cover art for it is priceless. 

hQOYPhx.png

Part of that is just how Japan's TV system works. Since Japanese broadcast TV doesn't show reruns, shows need new episodes constantly or they will lose their timeslot. Hence the slow pacing and filler arcs in shonen shows.

Alrighty, guys. I'll bite on the first Ranma set to see if I like it. My oldest brother and his friends that are a bit older than me have been saying that the series is great and I never touched it since it was so hard to find until now.

And on a side note, I actually own the mediocre Ranma game on SNES. The cover art for it is priceless.

hQOYPhx.png
Is it as bad as the Speed Racer SNES. That was a real POS

1248384230-00.jpg

one piece should be on your exclusion list :p

also I can't agree with ranma, I didn't even bother buying past season 4 because it gets way to samey and boring since nothing ever happens and it's almost always the same few plots over and over :/
I'm a grown man if i want to watch Pokemonish animes I would have an auto accident, and have brain damage. No garbage animes for me(DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece)

I don't watch Bleach or Naruto not because I am a grown man. I don't watch them because I think they suck. But hell, I still watch Digimon with the girlfriend. Working our way through the first four seasons. Awesome nostalgia.

I'm a grown man if i want to watch Pokemonish animes I would have an auto accident, and have brain damage. No garbage animes for me(DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece)
One Piece is garbage anime, you are clearly delusional, and DBZ?!? If not for DBZ, you'd still be buying those $60 VHS tapes of la blue girl. I'm not a sailor moon fan, but I would never call it garbage because I know it's impact in the world of anime.

One Piece is one of the greatest animes/manga out there. For it to continuously be in the top 5 of readers and viewer charts for the last 10 years says something about its appeal.

I get it, you don't like long shows, but you shouldn't call it garbage, especially when there are a whole slew of fans around the world that love that show.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's automatically good quality wise...

I do give credit for what DBZ did,but doesn't mean it's immune to criticism. If you enjoy watching people make constipated faces powering up,along with fights that go on fights that go on forever with them just yelling bravado and exposition(along with some really bad animation).Honestly I just stick with the movies of it,since they jump to what most people want without the bullshit.

Though without DBZ we wouldn't have this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNVCnO1D0HU

I don't like the word "filler" acting as if the material is automatically bad if it's not in the manga. To be honest, I like the "filler" in Bleach more than the original material.

Regarding the comments in my previous post: I did not like when Funimation cut off the Ultimate Uncut DBZ releases and again when they stopped Detective Conan after I bought every disc as they came out. That's two strikes which is why I wait for complete releases coming out so I don't get ripped off again. Once the Buu saga of DBZ Kai is released and I know the series is complete, only then will I buy Kai on Blu Ray. 

BTW, here is a review for Dragonball Z Season 1 on Blu Ray: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62294/dragonball-z-season-1/

Sounds like it's like the orange brick set but with better audio.

One Piece is garbage anime, you are clearly delusional, and DBZ?!? If not for DBZ, you'd still be buying those $60 VHS tapes of la blue girl. I'm not a sailor moon fan, but I would never call it garbage because I know it's impact in the world of anime.
to be fair... one piece is a garbage anime compared to the manga (that horrid pacing lol)... but if you don't compare it to the manga it's still solid. It's awesome to see in general in a shonen show that greater stakes aren't just higher power levels, but actually making the story more mature and dealing with bigger issues.

I am soon to be 30 and Pokemon is one of my favorite anime. I also freaking love Gundam Build Fighters.
I was a little disappointed in this week episode, the baseball thing was a good idea but I would much rather see sei and reiji fight luang. The zeus gundam fighting Mao was nice, and nils is still badass with a yo-yo, I would definitely buy this series

The Ultimate Uncut and Conan DVDs stopped because they weren't selling. Everybody watched the episodes on Cartoon Network for DBZ and the market was starting to wean out of the old 3-episode DVDs.

Conan was just released at a bad time. People didn't like the 3-episode DVDs for an episodic series, plus didn't like how the release schedule skipped what was airing on TV. By the time the season sets came out, general fans had an aversion to long series and turned away.

As for Kai, FUNi will release all of that, as they're the ones bankrolling it after Toei cancelled the show.

The Ultimate Uncut and Conan DVDs stopped because they weren't selling. Everybody watched the episodes on Cartoon Network for DBZ and the market was starting to wean out of the old 3-episode DVDs.

Conan was just released at a bad time. People didn't like the 3-episode DVDs for an episodic series, plus didn't like how the release schedule skipped what was airing on TV. By the time the season sets came out, general fans had an aversion to long series and turned away.

As for Kai, FUNi will release all of that, as they're the ones bankrolling it after Toei cancelled the show.
only time i could ever find conan on tv was at like 2-3 in the morning... it sucked that a kids show could only get a mature slot. I know funimaiton had big hopes that conan would be a big hit (thus why they americanized it) and then to be left to die when no one would watch it :/

I'm still holding out hope that it will get a second lease on life via subtitle only releases.

Sentai or Discotek would ha e to license it then. Neither Viz nor FUNi do sub-only releases.

And Conan was on Adult Swim because CN didn't like having bloody murders every week during prime time.

Not to mention, a lot of people hated that Shinichi was turned into a kid and never got over it.

Sentai or Discotek would ha e to license it then. Neither Viz nor FUNi do sub-only releases.

And Conan was on Adult Swim because CN didn't like having bloody murders every week during prime time.

Not to mention, a lot of people hated that Shinichi was turned into a kid and never got over it.
isnt Oniai sub only?

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's automatically good quality wise...

I do give credit for what DBZ did,but doesn't mean it's immune to criticism. If you enjoy watching people make constipated faces powering up,along with fights that go on fights that go on forever with them just yelling bravado and exposition(along with some really bad animation).Honestly I just stick with the movies of it,since they jump to what most people want without the bullshit.

Though without DBZ we wouldn't have this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNVCnO1D0HU
Do you even know why they made the episodes they way they did. I mean do you know why they made the fights last so long? There's a reason for it. Alot of people seem to have forgotten it, or the new anime fans are not in the know.

Yeah to stall while Toriyama did the manga,and because they knew fans would suck up anything DBZ related(I should know I grew up watching it) They probably should have taken a small break after finishing Dragon Ball instead of jumping right in too animating Z. Now am not trying to hate on the series,am just giving my honest opinion,and I enjoyed Kai since it cuts out all the bullshit.

I guess we have a lot of Justin Beiber and One Direction fans around here. I watched maybe the first 150 episodes of DBZ, and I can sum it up to you like this threat comes, kicks goku's ass, the rest of the gang tries to beat it's ass, and get knocked out one by one, just as threat is about to beat last good guy, someone wakes up, and delivers a blind spot hit. While this is going on Goku is coming from where ever he is another planet, dead, etc. During the fight everyone's power level goes up 10 times. Lot's of rocks raising up off the planet, and exclamations of "That is impossible" from the bad guys, and at the last moment bad guy beat down, and the gang is saved until next time. My friends would tell me it will get better, but just never did.

The Mid 90s VHS market without DBZ was just fine, a lot more than La Blu Girl. Was it a little expensive? Yeah. Was there a great variety of titles and genres? Yeah probably more than today. Difference was that titles could be get for next to nothing, so there was a lot of great shows to watch.

Yea, you had ADV's early, early licenses, DBZ (Ocean dub), and Slayers. Also a handful of CPM releases that nobody cares about anymore and the long lost LA dub of the Gundam movie trilogy.

When ADV went to license Devil Hunter Yohko (their first series), the Japanese company's respone was "Why would you want to license a non-toyetic show?"

[quote name="Cage017" post="11436222" timestamp="1389460102"]I don't like the word "filler" acting as if the material is automatically bad if it's not in the manga. To be honest, I like the "filler" in Bleach more than the original material.

Regarding the comments in my previous post: I did not like when Funimation cut off the Ultimate Uncut DBZ releases and again when they stopped Detective Conan after I bought every disc as they came out. That's two strikes which is why I wait for complete releases coming out so I don't get ripped off again. Once the Buu saga of DBZ Kai is released and I know the series is complete, only then will I buy Kai on Blu Ray.

BTW, here is a review for Dragonball Z Season 1 on Blu Ray: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62294/dragonball-z-season-1/

Sounds like it's like the orange brick set but with better audio.[/quote]

Well it's called filler because that's what it is, filling time while the manga gets more of a lead. It's not necessarily all bad, but there can be basically no changes or real character development because everything has to reset once they continue the manga arc.

Of course manga itself operates under a lot of pressure... Weekly or monthly installments that have to keep up in popularity or risk being cancelled. It's an odd way to construct a long running story that doesn't always work.

I don't like the word "filler" acting as if the material is automatically bad if it's not in the manga. To be honest, I like the "filler" in Bleach more than the original material.
Filler is too bound by the rules of not breaking the canon. So no major changes can happen to any of the characters or the main plot. It's like watching a month of WWE and seeing someone die only to see them to return the next month. Yes, it's the equivalent of that. Bleach fillers tried to be creative at the beginning but they all ended up being about betrayal or things that were done previously in the anime.

Since other shonens rarely do "filler arcs" anymore, they just end up being pure nonsense and randomness. Then only the interns of the animation department stay while the guys that create the higher canon quality episodes go on vacation for 3 months.

bread's done
Back