Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a guy, and I used to watch the shit out of Cardcaptor Sakura. hahaha

Yeah, anything CLAMP would be a pretty solid choice.

Looking at Netflix, maybe Moon Phase? Again haven't watched it, but I know it has something to do with a little vampire girl! :D
Well, I don't think Chobits would be pretty appropriate...

Also, Moon Phase is heavy on the Loli. The daughter might like it, but her dad might get creeped out.

Well, I don't think Chobits would be pretty appropriate...

Also, Moon Phase is heavy on the Loli. The daughter might like it, but her dad might get creeped out.
And we have carelessly ventured off into the land of Loli's. Lets go back to those Pokemon and Digimon recommendations! huh? huh??!?!

And we have carelessly ventured off into the land of Loli's. Lets go back to those Pokemon and Digimon recommendations! huh? huh??!?!
Loli's are to dominate the world this block I thought?

tumblr_mz8va6okkE1sq9yswo1_500.gif

Anyone know if they might be re-releasing the original Sailor Moon on DVD & or Blu-Ray anytime soon? Looking to get the whole series.
Funimation has teased for years about acquiring the rights to sailor moon for a rerelease.... I imagine at this point though if they do get sailor moon it will just be the new series though.

Just thinking of somewhat recent releases K-ON! would be a good recommendation especially for a girl. And for movies, Wolf Children would be good too... yeah, it may have an "off" scene here and there but I still think it was a great movie. 

And just because I picked it up today, Azumanga Daioh is pretty awesome as well. It's been years since I've watched it, but I'm sure everything I recommended is a PG anime. Oh, and Soul Eater is an anime that is better suited for teenagers.

NOTE: K-ON! S1 is technically OOP thanks to Bandai Entertainment's closure but the DVD anime legends version is on Right Stuf and S2/The Movie were licensed by Sentai.

Just thinking of somewhat recent releases K-ON! would be a good recommendation especially for a girl. And for movies, Wolf Children would be good too... yeah, it may have an "off" scene here and there but I still think it was a great movie.

And just because I picked it up today, Azumanga Daioh is pretty awesome as well. It's been years since I've watched it, but I'm sure everything I recommended is a PG anime. Oh, and Soul Eater is an anime that is better suited for teenagers.

NOTE: K-ON! S1 is technically OOP thanks to Bandai Entertainment's closure but the DVD anime legends version is on Right Stuf and S2/The Movie were licensed by Sentai.
Wolf Children has that sex scene, though... And Azumanga, as much as I love it, has a decent amount of boob talk and the creeper teacher - the audience for that one is definitely high school and up.

Princess Tutu, Angelic Layer, and select Ghibli stuff, all the way.

As I said they are all PG... but I did forget about the "boob talk" from Azumanga, lol.

EDIT:

But he recycles.

How bad can a person who recycles really be?
Okay, I just finished like episode 4 and I forgot on how crazy the creeper teacher was. Oh god, the ding dong part was awkward and hilarious at the same time. Crazy on how these old animes seem new to me since I haven't watched this since like 2005.

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone...but wasn't the teacher in azumanga just misunderstood? It's been awhile so I'm not sure.
He has hidden depths to him that the girls discover, but he's still a pervert for high school girls (including Chiyo-chan) and his dealings with Kaori would cause a shitstorm on its own.

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone...but wasn't the teacher in azumanga just misunderstood? It's been awhile so I'm not sure.
Since I'm in the process of rewatching it, I can't exactly remember... but I remember
that he is married.
Not like that justifies his behavior or anything, lol.

Minami-Ke is also a great slice of life anime, but it has been a while since I've seen it. I don't remember too much off-color humor, though.

Minami-Ke is also a great slice of life anime, but it has been a while since I've seen it. I don't remember too much off-color humor, though.
There's Mako-chan crossdressing (dunno how inappropriate that's considered for a young kid) and also some underage drinking in a few of the episodes. Can't remember much else off the top of my head, been awhile since I went through and watched it all.

I remember Okami San being pretty tame. It was awesome and one of my favorite of all time.

Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't bad, was it? There might have been some language, but that's about it from what I remember.

I'd have to say Pilot Candidate is safe. I like it, but I might be in the minority. One of my favorites.

I'd say Fairy Tail is pretty safe for the most part. 

Spice and Wolf maybe? It's been a while since I watched it.

Heaven's Lost Property... kidding. It's good, not great, but definitely not tame. Keep your kid away from this one. Story revolves around overly perverted kid and girls with huge cartoon knockers. It's an interesting show though.

I remember Okami San being pretty tame. It was awesome and one of my favorite of all time.

Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't bad, was it? There might have been some language, but that's about it from what I remember.

I'd have to say Pilot Candidate is safe. I like it, but I might be in the minority. One of my favorites.

I'd say Fairy Tail is pretty safe for the most part.

Heaven's Lost Property... kidding. It's good, not great, but definitely not tame. Keep your kid away from this one. Story revolves around overly perverted kid and girls with huge cartoon knockers. It's an interesting show though.
Im currently rewatching yu yu.,... it's a lot more violent and bloody than I rememebred lol

Fairy Tail should be fine as long as no OVAs are shown as the TV version is very censored for kids.

You guys, this is REALLY EASY.  Think about the target audience for whatever anime you're about to suggest.  Do 8-year old girls fit into it at all?  If not, it's probably not a great suggestion.  Does your suggestion have violence or inappropriate situations?  Does it have even mild cussing?  Even the most seemingly-benign (to us, anyways) show like One Piece isn't appropriate for an 8-year old girl.  There *are* good shows for this age group, but chances are most people haven't seen them.

You guys, this is REALLY EASY. Think about the target audience for whatever anime you're about to suggest. Do 8-year old girls fit into it at all? If not, it's probably not a great suggestion. Even the most seemingly-benign show like One Piece probably isn't appropriate for an 8-year old girl. There *are* good shows for this age group, but chances are most people haven't seen them.
one piece isn't benign >.>; it has some downright gruesome moments lol.

I am in general a little sad that a show with an opening song called rock n roll princess hasn't been mentioned though :/

also... I don't know about you guys but growing up a lot of little girls liked hamtaro and hello kitty around me :p

I thought they wanted demon/monster anime, if we are going to randomly expand the genres. I'd recommend 12 kingdoms, Bamboo Blade, [SIZE=12pt]My-Hime, My-Otome.[/SIZE]

I thought they wanted demon/monster anime, if we are going to randomly expand the genres. I'd recommend 12 kingdoms, Bamboo Blade, [SIZE=12pt]My-Hime, My-Otome.[/SIZE]
I had forgotten that, but to be fair demon/monster anime in general aren't very 8 year old girl friendly.

hamtaro = demon hamsters though

hello kitty is a demon cat

and full moon wo sagashite has angels instead of demons >.>;

ignoring all the ecchi in my-hime... there is no way in hell the tentacle rape episode that made me drop my otome is suitable for 8 year old girls... (though I wouldn't consider it for anyone that wants to watch something that isn't hentai as it was a pure hentai scene just with clothes still on :/)

I'll give you Bamboo Blade, but the rest of those suggestions are terrible for an 8-year old.

Maybe this conversation should be moved to the Off Topic forum? We're kind of spamming up the deals thread...

You guys are sad....anime for kids is an easy list to put together.

Sailor moon
Dragonball
Princess tutu
Yugioh
Hikaru no Go
srgt frog
Pokemon
Digimon
Card captor Sakura
Kodomo no Omocha/Kodocha/child's toy
Case closed/ detective Conan
Last exile
Heroman
Tiger & bunny
Erin/Kemono no Souja Erin–Beast Player Erin
Sonic x
Beyblade
Ultimate muscle
Hamtaro
Bakugan
Tiny snow fairy sugar
Magical doreimi
Doraemon
Most studio Ghibli titles

That's more than enough anime for any child.

Problem is, most of those are not readily available in the US. Also assuming the dad wants it dubbed, not subbed.

And Avatar's not anime, even though it might as well be.

Sailor moon
Dragonball
Princess tutu
Yugioh
Hikaru no Go
srgt frog
Pokemon
Digimon
Card captor Sakura
Last exile
Heroman
Tiger & bunny
Sonic x
Beyblade
Ultimate muscle
Hamtaro
Bakugan
Tiny snow fairy sugar
Magical doreimi
Doraemon

Hey, you did pretty good, but then I saw LAST EXILE. No no no no no. Case Closed too, I suppose, but Last Exile?!

I'd say Fairy Tail is pretty safe for the most part.

Hmm Okami San would be better for kids in the teens. There isn't to much nudity but there are a fair amount of sexual innuendos. The whole dumpling thing going on. haha

Fairy Tail would be ok, besides violence. I can't remember if there nudity or not. And when I say nudity I don't mean Sekirei but showing enough to were I wouldn't allow my 8 year old to watch it.

Spice And Wolf might be questionable. Again Holo being naked a bit.

Baka And Test might be ok. But there is prevert ninja haha.
And maybe Chrome Shelled Regios. Again slight nudity in Chrome.

I think the bigger problem with Spice & Wolf is the plot. The show is basically an animated version of the stock market and I doubt too many kids care about that.

One Piece Strong World (Blu-ray version) finally dropped 50% in price on Amazon to $17.99, for those who were waiting for a price drop like me.  Grabbed one yesterday.

That and Wolf Children have been hanging around $17.99 for a few weeks now. Great price on both - I got them both for $20.99 from RightStuf before release which was worth the extra $3 to me. :)

"I'm a grown man" and I liked Hamtaro. Is that wrong?  I also loved Avatar: The Last Airbender and heard Legend of Korra is pretty good. 

Funimation disappointed me by not continuing Detective Conan/Case Closed but I see Viz has. In fact, Volume 49 came out yesterday. The Viz e-mail I received advertised a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale at Barnes and Noble. This has me wondering:

Where do you guys go to purchase manga? If it's digital, which app do you use? I was considering buying DBZ Full Color for my tablet. 

Hamtaro was very charming. Just not a good fit for Toonami.

It did give us this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CicpFu7MLbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOKfLCu02Y

As for.manga, print I get from RightStuf, digital I get from the Viz Manga app.

I don't he cares too much about violence/language, Hell we both grew up on south park, so shows like yu yu or inuyasha are probably ok. IM pretty sure he doesn't wanna have "THE TALK" with her and explain harems and rapey tentacles.

If you want, we can move this over to the discussion board.

Where do you guys go to purchase manga? If it's digital, which app do you use? I was considering buying DBZ Full Color for my tablet.
I buy most of my manga from Half Price Books (on clearance for $2 per volume) or at my work (thrift store for $1 per volume). it takes a while to collect a series most of the time, but after a while I just fill in gaps from amazon, right stuf, or gohastings.

I always get my physical manga from RightStuf studio sales, which are good on preorders... usually I stock up just enough preorders to last me until their next studio sale, which I'm sure is intentional on their part.  I think it's ~40% off.

I also buy a ton of stuff on Viz's digital app.  If you have an iPad or tablet and like Shonen manga, a sub to Shonen Jump is a great deal... lots of manga every week, it's something I look forward to every Monday.   They're serializing the in-color DBZ stuff there.  It's a hassle to catch up at first, and then it's hard to read big chunks because it's split across different issues, but that's what the collections are for.  You actually just missed a digital manga sale on their app.  The digital manga is a little cheaper than the physical volumes, though they don't have everything... but I've long ago run out of space for manga.  The usual caveats apply, this is something you download from them and if they somehow lose the license and you wipe out your ipad...

I'm really hoping they put some effort into something like Patlabor of Jojo, which failed in print, but which I would buy for sure in digital.

Sailor moon
Dragonball
Princess tutu
Yugioh
Hikaru no Go
srgt frog
Pokemon
Digimon
Card captor Sakura
Last exile
Heroman
Tiger & bunny
Sonic x
Beyblade
Ultimate muscle
Hamtaro
Bakugan
Tiny snow fairy sugar
Magical doreimi
Doraemon

If I recall it was also genre specific to demons and monsters, so not just any genre of shows for kids, or at least that's not what was requested by the person who made the request originally.

You may have to go back a few pages to find the exact post.

"I'm a grown man" and I liked Hamtaro. Is that wrong? I also loved Avatar: The Last Airbender and heard Legend of Korra is pretty good.

Funimation disappointed me by not continuing Detective Conan/Case Closed but I see Viz has. In fact, Volume 49 came out yesterday. The Viz e-mail I received advertised a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale at Barnes and Noble. This has me wondering:

I used to throw down $10/volume at Barnes & Noble when I was young. Man, that was stupid...Few years ago the Borders website had a very nice online marketplace with free shipping. Would get tons of manga for around $1.50 each. Recently have stuck to GoHastings.com during sales. However, I think they just changed their book shipping from 96 cents whole order to something ridiculous. So now I have no idea where I am going to buy.

Nice... still hoping for a Fairy Tail collection 3. Hoping we at least get that by the summer.

The antics of Master Roshi and some of the violence probably isn't suitable for children.
Dragonball is a more comedic series than Z, and of course some of the scenes would be inappropriate for children. I mean this scene below is just in the first couple of episodes. (Sorta kinda nsfw)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0PEfQRlww[/youtube]

Nice... still hoping for a Fairy Tail collection 3. Hoping we at least get that by the summer.

Dragonball is a more comedic series than Z, and of course some of the scenes would be inappropriate for children. I mean this scene below is just in the first couple of episodes. (Sorta kinda nsfw)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0PEfQRlww[/youtube]
I did a marathon of Dragonball last month. I loved the comedic bits.

Now, working on DBZ and then GT. Just so I can say...yes, I wasted my life on this gem.

This is an out-of-left-field question, but I have the Moribito complete collection released by Anime Works, and I'd like to get a replacement case (6-CD with spindles? I'm not sure of the terminology) because I'm not comfortable with the single-stack setup--are there such cases sold on Amazon?

bread's done
Back