Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
The LE sets don't include slipcovers, only the regulars, so that will probably drive you nuts if you're into having them match inside the box. XD

Could always just pull off the slip for part 2. ;P
lol really? Damn. This was my first LE plunge with Funi. Good to know.

I just remove the slipcover for the part 2 when I have Limited set ;3
That's what I did so far. It was mocking me on my shelf LOL

If you want to pay shipping, I'll send you my slipcover, don't much care for slips myself.
!!!!! You got a PM coming your way sir!

lol really? Damn. This was my first LE plunge with Funi. Good to know.
They don't do it because for most of the sets if you put the slips on both sets they actually don't fit in the LE box anymore, so you may have to deal with that when you get the other slipcover, and will be able to see it for yourself. I've tried it with a few sets and it just wasn't made for both slipcovers to be inside the set, and if it fits, it's really, really snug, and hard to take out after the fact. Still though, I'm a sucker for the LE sets nonetheless. XD

I've got one question (since it is kind of a deal too).

The new DVD sets for Eureka Seven are $16.96 for Part One and $16.96 for Part Two right now (and the Blu-Ray preorders on Hastings are under $30 in case anyone is wondering - but I'm not thrilled with Hastings ATM though XD).

Everybody says good things about it, but I'm not sure I like the comparisons to Evangelion or if the average age of 15 for the characters would turn me off or not.  Maybe I just like Kanon too much right now (and yes, I'm going to watch or get Kanon 2002/Air/the pieces of Clannad I don't have/Angel Beats too) and I could be really wrong.

Would this anime still be a good buy/watch. and is the character development good?  Thanks!

PS:  It isn't anything like Haruhi Suzumiya is it?

Eureka Seven is nothing like Suzumiya. I also wouldn't compare it to Evangelion. Closest series I can think of is Avatar The Last Airbender. Without giving the plot away, if you liked Avatar you should like E7. That's a great price on the re-release.

On a side note, the E7 soundtrack kicks ass!

Eureka Seven is nothing like Suzumiya. I also wouldn't compare it to Evangelion. Closest series I can think of is Avatar The Last Airbender. Without giving the plot away, if you liked Avatar you should like E7. That's a great price on the re-release.

On a side note, the E7 soundtrack kicks ass!
I'd love to hear your reasoning for why Eureka Seven is similar to Avatar. I just don't see it.

E7 is a very love-it-or-hate-it show. It's certainly easier to watch it on DVD than on TV.

There are some similarities to Eva. Renton and Eureka use the same basic character arcetypes as Shinji and Rei (though they are FAR from carbon-copies, though Renton does have a little more in common with Rebuild!Shinji), the special giant robots are alive, there are weird alien creatures that want to kill humanity, and two of the characters are basically combinations of Gendo and Keel.

The biggest knock against the series are the characters. During the first half of the series they are all basically unlikable (especially Holland, who you WILL hate despite being voiced by Crispin Freeman, and Eureka's kids). Two characters, who are kind of like a more mature Kamina and Yoko from Gurren Lagann (though E7 was made before GL), arrive mid-series and rescue the show and it gets a lot better after that.

I've got one question (since it is kind of a deal too).

The new DVD sets for Eureka Seven are $16.96 for Part One and $16.96 for Part Two right now (and the Blu-Ray preorders on Hastings are under $30 in case anyone is wondering - but I'm not thrilled with Hastings ATM though XD).

Everybody says good things about it, but I'm not sure I like the comparisons to Evangelion or if the average age of 15 for the characters would turn me off or not. Maybe I just like Kanon too much right now (and yes, I'm going to watch or get Kanon 2002/Air/the pieces of Clannad I don't have/Angel Beats too) and I could be really wrong.

Would this anime still be a good buy/watch. and is the character development good? Thanks!

PS: It isn't anything like Haruhi Suzumiya is it?
boy howdy people love comparing everything to eva don't they. Though at the same time I suppose Eureka Seven is unique enough that there really isn't much else out there to compare it to aside from Eva and actual things that were like eva. I think the closest show that isn't eva or eva like to me would be Last Exile.

As for the quality of the show... well I have it as a 9/10 over on MAL... but that is far more of an 8.5 then a pure 9... the start of the show is rather rough. The main character is rather annoying for a while, and it was a hard show to get into... but after you finally get into it it's a rather fun ride. I found the character development enjoyable, even if it did get weird from time to time and I would say it would be worth the pick up given $40 is less than $1 per ep, and it's not hard to recommend a show like Eureka Seven at that price point. At the same time the first so many episodes are available on hulu, so why not just check it out first?

All Mecha series prior to Evangelion = Gundam, all after Eva = Evangelion. 

All Shonen fighting series prior to Naruto = Dragon Ball Z, all after = Naruto

All Magical Girl series prior to Madoka = Sailor Moon, all after = Madoka (It's like Madoka without all that dark stuff!)

and so on :D

Thank you all for your responses!  That helps me a lot actually.

I think the only way I'll truly know is to look at an episode or two at the beginning.  It sounds like its unique to me but if I don't like the characters then that's something different.  I think I would enjoy this though.

@roger watersmelon:  That was a neat post!  A funny thing is that I do not want to buy this anime to just replace a good Gundam series or set of Gundam movies/OVAs.  That doesn't mean I want all Gundam either.

Yea...you're probably gonna hate the series then. The first third or so have all the main characters with really big character flaws and they usually take it out on Renton. It dies down, but a large reason people love the mini arc with Ray and Charles is because they actually treated Renton with respect.

Man, SecondSpin is slipping. Ordered Last Exile Part 1 LE. Not only was there no artbox, but no Blu-rays either! Somebody put the coverart and DVDs in a 2-disc Blu-ray case and traded it in.
Wow, reminds me of the good old days of 5.25" floppies where you could take the label off the original, stick it on a blank floppy and return it to the store. Classic.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for why Eureka Seven is similar to Avatar. I just don't see it.
They both focus on children trying to save the world through maintaining balance. In TLA it's the balance between nations, in Korra it's between humans and spirits, and in E7 between humans and Scub Coral. This balance is pro protect / respect the planet type messages. In both stories, there is an otherworldly presence that underlies the world. In E7 this is Scub Coral and Trapars, while Avatar has spirits and bending. The pacing, length, use of instrumental music, and, well, the overall feel seem similar to me.

There aren't direct correlations like, say, E7 and Gurren Lagann where
Renton = Kamina, Eureka = Nia, Talho = Yoko, giant mech = giant mech, etc.
, but even with those obvious similarities I still see E7 as being closer to Avatar than GL.

Btw, I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena the other day. Thanks for the rec, it was a very enjoyable series. That third/final final story arc was awesome!

I initially read your first post as talking about mutant Smurf Avatar, not the good one.

Btw, I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena the other day. Thanks for the rec, it was a very enjoyable series. That third/final final story arc was awesome!
Hooray, glad you liked it! Hope you'll rewatch it down the line, too - it becomes a completely different experience. It's very dense, and you'll find yourself noticing all sorts of new stuff.

So I just finished watching Kill la Kill and I have to say it's pretty terrible. I'm surprised after slogging through each episode I would come away saying that, but yea, it is. GL had it's moments of meh, but I liked it a lot more than this.

They don't do it because for most of the sets if you put the slips on both sets they actually don't fit in the LE box anymore, so you may have to deal with that when you get the other slipcover, and will be able to see it for yourself. I've tried it with a few sets and it just wasn't made for both slipcovers to be inside the set, and if it fits, it's really, really snug, and hard to take out after the fact. Still though, I'm a sucker for the LE sets nonetheless. XD
I just tried it right now and you're right. Took me a good few minutes to get the cases out again lol. I guess I will just leave the slipcover off *sigh* haha

So I just finished watching Kill la Kill and I have to say it's pretty terrible. I'm surprised after slogging through each episode I would come away saying that, but yea, it is. GL had it's moments of meh, but I liked it a lot more than this.
Someone needs to teach this guy a lesson. Klk is the best thing since sliced bread.

The story is crap, but it's still entertaining to watch. It definitely falls into the category of a "stupid fun" anime that barely takes itself seriously. They should have just called it "Kill la bewbs" because that title is more appropriate for the show.

And this: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBoocPe_DNU[/youtube]

The story is crap, but it's still entertaining to watch. It definitely falls into the category of a "stupid fun" anime that barely takes itself seriously. They should have just called it "Kill la bewbs" because that title is more appropriate for the show.

"kill la nekkid" fits a bit better, since everyone gets naked.

But that's pretty spot on. Story was disappointing, but it was an amazing ride.

So .... when does Black Lagoon get good? Two episodes in on Toonami's run and it comes off as boring to me. Are people liking it for the constant foul language?

So .... when does Black Lagoon get good? Two episodes in on Toonami's run and it comes off as boring to me. Are people liking it for the constant foul language?
It doesn't really get any better from there, honestly. I don't like the series myself, and if you haven't warmed up to it by now, it's probably not your cup of tea either.

No people like it for it's interesting characters and how it's basically a mix of John woo,Tarantino,and spaghetti westerns movies. I don't understand why people whine about the foul language since the show is about the criminal underworld.I don't expect the characters to talk like refined gentleman.

No people like it for it's interesting characters and how it's basically a mix of John woo,Tarantino,and spaghetti westerns movies. I don't understand why people whine about the foul language since the show is about the criminal underworld.I don't expect the characters to talk like refined gentleman.
Yeah, I personally love it but that's because I tend to like more action oriented shows. I think the anime is better in a few sittings rather than weekly viewings as the pacing can be a little slow. I'm pretty sure the Blus for it are cheap these days.

Btw, how are they censoring the four letter words? Is it just a beep or did Funimation get creative?

I was able to watch some of Eureka Seven's earlier episodes, and while I think that it gets better and I did like the voice acting, I can't see myself buying it right now either.

For anyone that wants to know, Hastings must have received a lot of copies of Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork because it's $5.20 for a previously viewed copy (with shipping) and it's been that way for a while too.

Previously Viewed items at Hastings are always cheap. Mainly because they are usually former rentals and usually don't have cases. It's like the $6.99 former Redbox DVD TV boxsets you can get at 7-11.

Previously Viewed items at Hastings are always cheap. Mainly because they are usually former rentals and usually don't have cases. It's like the $6.99 former Redbox DVD TV boxsets you can get at 7-11.
It's been years since I've been to a 7-11 now that you mention that...maybe one day soon I will go just to at least see one again.

I take it that it's usual for Hastings to sell off a whole lot of PV copies at some point for most movies and series? That would explain why they have so many at least. :)

Check the actual product page. The search listings may have it as in stock, but the actual product page usually says out. PV items usually go quick.,

You guys and your slipcovers.

I hate them. Hate.

I would just chuck them, but when I re-sell, guys like you pay more money for the ones with slip covers. So, I keep them.  I'd prefer all these anime were available in digital HD some where. I do not like accumulating a bunch of disks. 

Check the actual product page. The search listings may have it as in stock, but the actual product page usually says out. PV items usually go quick.,
Amazon still *had* them listed as $4 and change with the usual Amazon shipping, but the price for the Good condition ones (PV rentals) just went up in the last hour or so. Adding it to my cart didn't give me a count of how many were left, and its been this price for days on Hastings (and possibly Amazon).

Whatever the case is or...however the case is :) , this won't last long one way or another.

I guess I have to learn about anime too, LOL.

Yeah I agree it's terrible I stopped going to my colleges anime club because they were watching that (ended up just laying on the table I had been sitting on and using lol), Deadman Wonderland (also horrible), Mirai Nikki (decent but seen already), and some other one Magical Index or some shit.

It doesn't really get any better from there, honestly. I don't like the series myself, and if you haven't warmed up to it by now, it's probably not your cup of tea either.
Hmm, that's not encouraging. I have a five episode rule that convinces me if a show is good or not. A friend of mine that said it's great told me to get to Episode 7. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

So far it seems like a setup for things to finally get in motion so maybe I'll change my tune. It's happened before where I hated a show at first and ended up liking it ( Gurren Lagann, Rourouni Kenshin) while others I liked at first and hated soon after (Trinity Blood, Blue Gender, Blood+, Witch Hunter Robin). So yeah we'll see.

The board I go to that was raving about Black Lagoon gets a hard on for One Piece. Maybe they just love pirates?

I don't mind the language. But if excessive swearing is the standard for whether or not a show is good, then I take issues with it.

Yeah, I personally love it but that's because I tend to like more action oriented shows. I think the anime is better in a few sittings rather than weekly viewings as the pacing can be a little slow. I'm pretty sure the Blus for it are cheap these days.

Btw, how are they censoring the four letter words? Is it just a beep or did Funimation get creative?
That's a good point. I might get more satisfaction watching more episodes at a time.

The standards on Cartoon Network are so weird. The only word they beep is "fuck" yet they'll let words like pussy, asshole, and shit air as normal. Keep in mind that "What's Up People", the opening to Death Note, didn't censor fuck. Also you can't say "sweet zombie jesus" without an edit as observed in Futurama.

I think Deadman Wonderland lost steam in the second half, but would I say it sucked?:

South Park long since OK'd the word shit.

As for the song, most people don't really pay attention, especially without subtitles.

Yeah didn't south park actually have a field day with that word and made an episode where they said it over 200+ times?

Hmm, that's not encouraging. I have a five episode rule that convinces me if a show is good or not. A friend of mine that said it's great told me to get to Episode 7. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

So far it seems like a setup for things to finally get in motion so maybe I'll change my tune. It's happened before where I hated a show at first and ended up liking it ( Gurren Lagann, Rourouni Kenshin) while others I liked at first and hated soon after (Trinity Blood, Blue Gender, Blood+, Witch Hunter Robin). So yeah we'll see.

The board I go to that was raving about Black Lagoon gets a hard on for One Piece. Maybe they just love pirates?

I don't mind the language. But if excessive swearing is the standard for whether or not a show is good, then I take issues with it.

That's a good point. I might get more satisfaction watching more episodes at a time.

The standards on Cartoon Network are so weird. The only word they beep is "fuck" yet they'll let words like pussy, asshole, and shit air as normal. Keep in mind that "What's Up People", the opening to Death Note, didn't censor fuck. Also you can't say "sweet zombie jesus" without an edit as observed in Futurama.

I think Deadman Wonderland lost steam in the second half, but would I say it sucked?:
They also censor lines that involve oral sex such as in episode 1 of Black Lagoon when Revy throws a grenade from the car she calls the guys cocksuckers.Am interested how they plan to edit the Hansel and Gretel arc since that has some extremely graphic parts to it.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Nothing wrong w/ the action, just disappointed in the story and liberal boob-age and camel-toe shots.

I'm not gonna try to convince you that kill la kill is good, but the random nudity and skimpy outfits do have a point in terms of plot. It's not the typical "armor"that other girl characters wear in battle shows.
Fyi I hate Gurren Laggen, Full metal alchemist, and Death Note...So I know how it is being the Outcast in a conversation.

I'm calling it right now, here is how Hansel and Gretel arc will go down on CN...Oh noes vampires are in Roanpur...nice boat for 3 episodes...End"

I'm extremely against censorship, but I don't know how you air that story arc on basic cable.

Sorry to double post, but my DBZ Season 3 and Robotics;Notes Part 1 order from Walmart finally shipped. Still no luck with Super Robot Wars. :(

Everyone submit this price to Amazon and hope they price match!

XtVWoPy.jpg

http://www.funimation.com/sale/anime
Buy all season Blu-rays 1-5 for 15.99 each.
Sale ends 04/07/14

bread's done
Back