Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
SAO had MUCH unrealized potential.   The first handful of episodes were amazing and from then on KIrito is just overpowered and everyone loves him.

I despised Sword Art Online, but really enjoyed Accel World. AW had a far more interesting premise. Every character in SAO feels like they come from a cookie-cutter template and I found Kirito/Asuna to be flat-out annoying.

Accel World, on the other hand, had some pretty unique, deeply flawed and screwed up characters, making for a more interesting story.
I can see that for SAO and there were definitely some things that happened that I found cookie-cutter and didn't like. The overall story premise was cool and I do like it when there are a few OP heroes in the story. Understand a lot of the points other folks made RE: SAO. We all have different tolerances to some of the more common elements that exist in anime.

Agree with AW, I was just irritated that we didn't get more of the plot uncovered. They kept uncovering more and more depth to the story and it just kind of got cut off. I still like it, but I can't give it a 10/10 without the story having some kind of real conclusion.

The problem I have with any "Trapped in a video game" series is the premise itself. If you want to make a fantasy anime series, then make a fantasy one. The same goes for sci-fi, or any other genre that the game is that they're stuck playing.

Look at Btooom (is that the right amount of Os?). I'm not saying that the show is any good, but it's a good example of how simple it is to sidestep that premise. Instead of them "being trapped in the Btooom game world" they're instead playing a real-life version of this fictional game.
Trapped in a video game is just a new take on the Sent to an Alternate World plot basis that's been in anime for decades.

No,not every show has Gary Stu protagonists.The trapped in a game genre in general has a lot of those. When writing a character you have to give some flaws,or I won't be able to relate to these characters at all.
Re-read his original post, thought he was talking specifically about harem anime. In which case, it totally is every anime ever.

Trapped in a video game is just a new take on the Sent to an Alternate World plot basis that's been in anime for decades.
The alternate world plots often had more variety though. The "trapped in a video game" plot is nearly always the same. Characters level up, join groups, and the worst one of all being the "if you die in the game, you die in real life" trope. I liked it when Tron did it in the '80s and .hack did the concept justice with the heavy emphasis on MMO gameplay, but now it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Umm... you must be remembering .hack wrong, it was all character development, and almost NO MMO gameplay, and   I know, I'm just saying that trapped in an MMO was someone's unoriginal take on the 30+ year old concept. (something tells me it's been in anime since even before the 80s)

That's true, but there's a couple of key, somewhat subtle differences for me that makes the alternate world plot a bit more interesting (I originally said tolerable, but it's not like I hate the premise on its own).

First and foremost, most of the time it is still the actual person I am watching. They don't undergo a magical transformation (at least usually not immediately) into a completely different character with different abilities. It's the difference between getting trapped in Super Mario Brothers as Mario, and getting trapped in a world with man-sized mushrooms and turtles trying to kill someone that can't jump over them because they don't have an 8 ft vertical jump.

The second is that the alternate world show generally keeps the "fish out of water" feel (at least for awhile) that is the genre's staple. Generally people trapped in a game have either played that game before, or are at least familiar with other games in that genre. They're also generally surrounded by other people that are in the same situation, not people completely alien to them. It's the difference between trying to talk to a true axe-wielding maniac, and dealing with a typical, rational modern day person trying to be one.

That's true, but there's a couple of key, somewhat subtle differences for me that makes the alternate world plot a bit more interesting (I originally said tolerable, but it's not like I hate the premise on its own).

First and foremost, most of the time it is still the actual person I am watching. They don't undergo a magical transformation (at least usually not immediately) into a completely different character with different abilities. It's the difference between getting trapped in Super Mario Brothers as Mario, and getting trapped in a world with man-sized mushrooms and turtles trying to kill someone that can't jump over them because they don't have an 8 ft vertical jump.

The second is that the alternate world show generally keeps the "fish out of water" feel (at least for awhile) that is the genre's staple. Generally people trapped in a game have either played that game before, or are at least familiar with other games in that genre. They're also generally surrounded by other people that are in the same situation, not people completely alien to them. It's the difference between trying to talk to a true axe-wielding maniac, and dealing with a typical, rational modern day person trying to be one.
One question. Does it live up to the standard set by Emilio Estevez in "The Bishop of Battle"?

FYI I saw Kizumonogatari today @ the Music Box in Chicago. Absolutely phenomenal movie. If there is a theater in your area showing it, i strongly urge that you go. My only problem is the length, it ends with a Halo 2 "Finish the Fight" kinda BS...Well time to wait a year for the equal.

What's this about a theater in America showing anime?
FUNimation has a big promo going on where their films are being released in theaters via Fathom. They've still got the Psycho-Pass movie and another stand alone movie to go, I believe.

Also, there's a theater in downtown Baltimore that shows an anime film every week. They just got done with Madoka Magica and Bebop and are doing Love Live, Techokonkreet, and Metropolis the next 3 weeks.

Also, there's a theater in downtown Baltimore that shows an anime film every week. They just got done with Madoka Magica and Bebop and are doing Love Live, Techokonkreet, and Metropolis the next 3 weeks.
That's actually pretty awesome. Where is this at in BMore?

It'd have to be very specific cities. I live in a big city. Remember when Ghost in the Shell: Arise came to theaters? They needed 50 people for the event to happen. I bought 2 tickets. I remained the only two tickets bought after a month.

Obviously, it didn't happen.

Same thing happened here, actually, though we had to get 100 tickets. Didn't help that the theater chosen was about an hour's drive from the main city.

The reason Baltimore gets to have these things is largely because Otakon was able to cultivate an entire generation of anime fans. I doubt the anime fandom would be as big here if not for Otakon.

can't remember if I own jin roh, but since I can get $1 of digital credit for buying it with slow shipping, why not snag it for effectively 75 cents out of pocket. thanks for posting. here is hoping I actually get the right movie since it's amazon warehouses after 2012 :p
Dances with Wolves? That's not the right movie at all.

I was looking for things I've been meaning to get at Rightstuf, because I felt like buying a few of those Blind Buys. I checked Amazon to compare prices, when I noticed that Pokemon Indigo League is on sale @ Amazon for $24.

It'd have to be very specific cities. I live in a big city. Remember when Ghost in the Shell: Arise came to theaters? They needed 50 people for the event to happen. I bought 2 tickets. I remained the only two tickets bought after a month.

That's the saddest/funniest thing I've heard in awhile. What city was this?

That's the saddest/funniest thing I've heard in awhile.
I once set up a local 3DS Streetpass meetup in my town during a National Streetpass event, months in advance. Did not get a single Streetpass that day. (And I usually get at least one or two.)

It wasn't even a big thing; it was located at the mall, so all anyone had to do was pass through the mall with their 3DS.

I once set up a local 3DS Streetpass meetup in my town during a National Streetpass event, months in advance. Did not get a single Streetpass that day. (And I usually get at least one or two.)

It wasn't even a big thing; it was located at the mall, so all anyone had to do was pass through the mall with their 3DS.
I've never received a single 3DS Streetpass anywhere.

You don't have a Best Buy or McDonald's anywheres? Are you sure you've got your WiFi on and StreetPass set up in any games?
I've actually never brought my 3DS into a Best Buy. I do have the WiFi/StreetPass features set up but I thought that, at some point, it'd just exchange tags when I carry it out in public. I have considered that maybe my 3DS is defective and, though the green Streetpass light is on, something with it is screwy.

Broke down and bought Ranma sets 5 and 6, as well as Gargantia, from DVDPlanet after reading that the Ranma Blu-ray sets are possibly going OOP. I guess the whole "limited edition" thing was true after all. It's a shame that if someone misses out on the Blu-rays for the series that they'll have to settle for the DVDs, though.

That's sort of funny.

I think there are more anime fans in the closest big city to me than I expected. Back when Love Live was in theaters it sold out (it was only one showing though). The Sunday night showing of Kizumonogatari was sold out and the Monday night showing I went to was nearly full. I was surprised.

Are these worth a blind buy?what other anime is similar to this?thanks for any input.
Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha, Rin-ne. ;D

tumblr_o0ba65U2YF1uevhdso1_540.gif

bread's done
Back