Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

I started watching Dragon Ball Z from the beginning even though I know the outcome of every fight, but I haven't seen the whole series yet. I did read the entire manga once, but that was a long time ago. I'm at the part where Goku and Frieza are about to throw down right after Vegeta told the story of the Saiyans.

I love the tension and build up in the show, even if in the uncut version Sean Schemmel kinda sounds like a terrible voice actor sometimes lol.

Like when Vegeta kills someone and Goku goes "heeey, stahp iiit."

Lol.
Watching Kai or original? Kai is much better...the flow is great.

Mmmm....SAO is really starting to get good in these last few episodes. Should definitely catch up if you've been slacking. Though this latest episode should really be called "Kirito's Harem", it was a bit of a letdown in some ways, but I think it's the comedic relief before the serious fighting starts up again.

Oh, Ascendance of a Bookworm and Iruma in Demon School are probably the two shows that have surprised me the most this season. I think I'd put Bookworm above Iruma, but they are different genres. Both fun shows, Iruma is just a little more of a stress relief show than Bookworm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Ascendance of a Bookworm and Iruma in Demon School are probably the two shows that have surprised me the most this season. I think I'd put Bookworm above Iruma, but they are different genres. Both fun shows, Iruma is just a little more of a stress relief show than Bookworm.
I'm enjoying both as well. Iruma is stupid fun and Bookworm is quite charming.

Bobby bobby bobby bobby bobby bobby bobby bobby lou

You know, I've always been lukewarm about MHA since it came out. I thought it was just another derivative shounen anime that wasn't as good as the others. This last episode though, impressed the hell out of me. Was really well done. If they could make every episode this level of epic, it would be an amazing show.

You know, I've always been lukewarm about MHA since it came out. I thought it was just another derivative shounen anime that wasn't as good as the others. This last episode though, impressed the hell out of me. Was really well done. If they could make every episode this level of epic, it would be an amazing show.
That's good the hear. I haven't seen the latest (which I'm assuming is the season finale) Can't wait to watch it tonight.

Started watching Accel World. Am I in for a treat or a ruff ride? I'm 3 episodes in and it's been okay so far.

That's good the hear. I haven't seen the latest (which I'm assuming is the season finale) Can't wait to watch it tonight.

Started watching Accel World. Am I in for a treat or a ruff ride? I'm 3 episodes in and it's been okay so far.
That old anime? It had a lot of hype, but the show was never that good. I think the premise wasn't bad, the execution was though. SAO is better and if I recall created by the same people or something? Think they share a universe.

OH! I have a question. I've been wanting to start watching the Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam?) series of anime, now more than ever, but I don't know where to begin. There seems to be a lot of different shows out there, which makes the choice difficult. I know literally nothing about the characters or plot.

OH! I have a question. I've been wanting to start watching the Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam?) series of anime, now more than ever, but I don't know where to begin. There seems to be a lot of different shows out there, which makes the choice difficult. I know literally nothing about the characters or plot.
You either start with the main timeline (Universal Century), or the various spinoff universes (W, G, Seed, etc).

While I haven't watched it, Iron Blood Orphans is a) recent, b) well received, and c) not the main UC timeline. Otherwise, I'd personally say SEED, even if people nowadays hate on it. But there's a reason it largely revived interest in Gundam. Also, it largely plays out like the original series remade for the 2000s.

OH! I have a question. I've been wanting to start watching the Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam?) series of anime, now more than ever, but I don't know where to begin. There seems to be a lot of different shows out there, which makes the choice difficult. I know literally nothing about the characters or plot.
Is your sig from displates? Kinda reminds me of those.

Anyways! I can't say I'm a "Gundam" person. I started with 00 and I loved it. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, if this is how good Gundam is, I understand why people have been watching it for all this time". Didn't even know they were two separate universes lol. Gundam UC RE:0096 (the series, not the OVA) is also good. It helps that it has awesome Sawano Hiroyuki music. Do NOT watch AGE. It's pretty bad. IBO was interesting. It didn't draw me in like 0096 or 00, but probably worth a watch. It is also it's own universe I think? The "Origin" movies are pretty good too, which is the original timeline.

Has anyone seen anything this season that they like yet? I've been treading lightly as a bunch look derivative and boring. I didn't realize SAO went on hiatus until the next quarter of anime, kind of left me hanging with that last episode. Hoping there is something enjoyable to watch this season. I think the only thing I've seen so far is Somali and Asteroid Love. Both seem fine so far. Somali has some dark undertones. Not sure how that will get explored, if at all.

Has anyone seen anything this season that they like yet? I've been treading lightly as a bunch look derivative and boring. I didn't realize SAO went on hiatus until the next quarter of anime, kind of left me hanging with that last episode. Hoping there is something enjoyable to watch this season. I think the only thing I've seen so far is Somali and Asteroid Love. Both seem fine so far. Somali has some dark undertones. Not sure how that will get explored, if at all.
This season isn't a big hit for me so far. I only watched a few new shows but nothing has been huge so far:

Somali and the Forest Spirit - This was good. This season's "daddy day care" show. I do like these kinda shows. Damn kid needs a freakin' lease

Asteriod in Love - "Cute Girls doing Things" flavor of the season. I got about halfway through it an turned it off. I just wasn't in the mood. I'm guessing "yuri bait" will be mixed in woth this. Maybe I'll give it another go at some point.

Science Fell in Love - I liked this one the most so far. I'm a sucker for cheesy rom/com anime and I was in dire need of one. So this was right up my ally. It's nothing great but it's an extremely stupid show that tries to be smart.

Keep Your Hands off Eizouken - Only 1 episode in but amazing animation. This one will most likely grow on me. Instead of "Cute girls doing things" this is a more quirky take on it (since 2 of the girls aren't exactly cute). And is tha Luffy's voice for the MC? It kinda sounds like it

I think Ascendance of a Bookworm gets top billing from me from last season. It had a strong finish and has more to come. Anyone see that Log Horizon is getting another season this October? That's crazy. I figured since the author got arrested on tax evasion they wouldn't want to do anything with the property. Maybe that all got cleaned up? More to look forward to!

I think Ascendance of a Bookworm gets top billing from me from last season. It had a strong finish and has more to come. Anyone see that Log Horizon is getting another season this October? That's crazy. I figured since the author got arrested on tax evasion they wouldn't want to do anything with the property. Maybe that all got cleaned up? More to look forward to!
Log Horzion coming back is cool. Season 2 lost me at parts but I enjoyed it. Didn't know about the author's legal problems.

Looking back last season was kinda weak when it came to new shows. Ascendance of a Bookworm and Iruma-Kun were my favorites. One was pretty deep and charming, while the later was just stupid fun.

Alright, I may have found another decent show to watch this season. It's called In/Spectre. Oh, I also forgot that Isekai Quarter S2 has shown up. So far so good! There's also another Railgun season that's been consistent with previous Railgun seasons. I actually think it's better than the "main" show, which in the last season devolved into a confusing, sloppy mess. No wonder it took years for it to come out. I imagine they just screwed up the translation from the manga to anime to fit it into whatever limited # of episodes they had to work with.

Alright, I may have found another decent show to watch this season. It's called In/Spectre. Oh, I also forgot that Isekai Quarter S2 has shown up. So far so good! There's also another Railgun season that's been consistent with previous Railgun seasons. I actually think it's better than the "main" show, which in the last season devolved into a confusing, sloppy mess. No wonder it took years for it to come out. I imagine they just screwed up the translation from the manga to anime to fit it into whatever limited # of episodes they had to work with.
Should I give In/spectre a shot? You think I would like it?

I did start watching Phoenix which is on CR right now. My wife read the book when she was a kid and she recommended me to watch the anime. It's pretty interesting. I really like the way Tezuka tells a story. I read Buddha also done by him and I loved it.

Should I give In/spectre a shot? You think I would like it?

I did start watching Phoenix which is on CR right now. My wife read the book when she was a kid and she recommended me to watch the anime. It's pretty interesting. I really like the way Tezuka tells a story. I read Buddha also done by him and I loved it.
I was wondering about Phoenix. I read that they were streaming it and it looked goofy from the art. I'll give it a whirl when I'm dying for animu to watch. In/spectre is fairly "light" so far, but with dark undertones. It's entertaining for now, I'd say it's an average show. If you're looking for something to entertain you, but not blow you away, it's solid.

Try Sword Art Online if you did not watch it. That's one of my favorites. You'll like it if you play MMORPGs a lot

I found another show this season that's been pretty interesting. I remember seeing it while browsing what was upcoming in the season and thinking that it sounded dumb. Turns out it isn't! It's called Smile Down the Runway. Check it out.

I found another show this season that's been pretty interesting. I remember seeing it while browsing what was upcoming in the season and thinking that it sounded dumb. Turns out it isn't! It's called Smile Down the Runway. Check it out.
I see it's on Hulu. Next time I subscribe I'll give it a shot.

How did you ever live without checklists for these?
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/

Maiden-Japan-Logo-20180219.jpg

dvdblu_logo_1.png

Sentai_Filmworks_Official_Logo.PNG

dvd.png

Woo Hoo Hi Score Girl Season 2 is up. I'm going to home and binging this with several beers tonight. I need a show like this right now.

I watched Promare last night, it was a balls to the wall bat shit insane mech fest, and i liked it, not sure if I could say I loved it. I'm mad the vudu copy didn't come with special features even though they said it would

I watched Promare last night, it was a balls to the wall bat shit insane mech fest, and i liked it, not sure if I could say I loved it. I'm mad the vudu copy didn't come with special features even though they said it would
I saw it when it was in theaters and I thought it was just okay. It felt like Trigger messing around with CGI and not much else.

Has anyone been watching My Next Life as a Villainess? It has a stupid name, but it's really entertaining lol. I wasn't expecting it from a show like this at all. Really fun, light show.

Has anyone been watching My Next Life as a Villainess? It has a stupid name, but it's really entertaining lol. I wasn't expecting it from a show like this at all. Really fun, light show.
Yeah, I've been watching and I'm all caught up. I like dumb Isekai shows like this. It's nothing special but it's been fun to watch a few episodes a night every other week.

Have you seen 8th Son? Are you Kidding Me? (Another long winded, dumb name for an Isekai anime) It's been fun too.

Yeah, I've been watching and I'm all caught up. I like dumb Isekai shows like this. It's nothing special but it's been fun to watch a few episodes a night every other week.

Have you seen 8th Son? Are you Kidding Me? (Another long winded, dumb name for an Isekai anime) It's been fun too.
Yup! It's been entertaining so far.

You know what I'd like to see happen with the pandemic that we might see older shows being dubbed since there's not much new stuff coming out? I'd love to see dubs for Tri-Zenon, and Yakitate Japan (yes I think they could do it, if they dubbed Excel Saga, they can do Yakitate japan

I'd like Discotek to release Lupin III part 3. I'd also like whoever has the rights to part 5 to release that too.

Though I will always love them for releasing all of part 2, so I won't be greedy.

Yakitate Japan!! would need so many new puns. How would you even make it work, Bread in Japan? Yeastern Bakery?

The joke that stuck with me for over a decade would not work at all. Kurowa-san?

They don't need to even translate it, just put a foot note about it, again Excel Saga, I think it would be hilarious with little pop ups with the commentator guy in the pic from the first season (you know who i mean)

Humble Manga Bundle

$1
Space Brothers 1-5
Love Hina ombnibus 1
Beck 1-5

$8
To Your Eternity vol 1-2
Descending Stories 1-5
Parasyte 1-2
Love Hina omnibus 2
Beck 6-12

$15
Your Lie in April 1-2
To Your Eternity 3-4
Space Brothers 6-15
Parasyte 3-4
Descending Stories 6-10 (complete)
Love Hina omnibus 3
Beck 13-19

$18
Princess Jellyfish 1-4
Your Lie in April 3-5
To Your Eternity 5-8
Space Brothers 16-25
Parasyte 5-6
Love Hina omnibus 4
Beck 20-26

$20
Princess Jellyfish 5-9 (complete)
Your Lie in April 6-11 (complete)
To Your Eternity 9-11 (incomplete, ongoing)
Space Brothers 26-34 (incomplete, ongoing))
Parasyte 7-8 (complete)
Love Hina omnibus 5 (complete)
Beck 27-34 (complete)

On a pseudo anime related topic, Sarah Strange is the primary antagonist on Dc Legends of Tomorrow (didn't realize it was her until I saw the credits at the beginning of last night's episode) Ranma male's first english va is the bad guy on DC legends

Now that RE: Zero is back, time to start yammering about it here! I loved the first episode. Perfect intro to get us back into it!

Now that RE: Zero is back, time to start yammering about it here! I loved the first episode. Perfect intro to get us back into it!
Finally anime is starting back up. I've been watching hum drum shows like Astroid in Love and Sing Yesterday for Me.

Both were fine but nothing special.

Also I didn't like the ending to Sing Yesterday for Me.

Finally anime is starting back up. I've been watching hum drum shows like Astroid in Love and Sing Yesterday for Me.

Both were fine but nothing special.

Also I didn't like the ending to Sing Yesterday for Me.
Yeah, Sing Yesterday for Me was disappointing. Asteroid was a snoozer. Villainess and Bookworm were my favorites during this little lull. Especially Bookworm. Holy shit has that show grown from the simple premise it started from! Can't wait to get the next season.

Yeah, Sing Yesterday for Me was disappointing. Asteroid was a snoozer. Villainess and Bookworm were my favorites during this little lull. Especially Bookworm. Holy shit has that show grown from the simple premise it started from! Can't wait to get the next season.
Bookworm & Villainess were fun. Bookworm especially. Like you said I'm looking forward to more.

Villainess Issekai was so freaking predictable. You know exactly how it's going to end only a few episodes in.

Just watched episode 2 of RE: Zero S2. I have to say, more so than before, I have a strong feeling about the direction of the story. I'll put it in spoilers cuz I'm sure some folks haven't seen it yet. Also, I have not read the source material so just going off what I'm seeing in the anime.

I get a very strong feeling that Roswaal is part of or working for the Witch's Cult. He clearly had an ulterior motive back in S1 (he mentions it), but it's not clear exactly why he wants to kill the dragon. We still don't really understand the nature of the dragon either, but I think this season will tell us. Anyways, back to Roswaal being aligned with the Witch's Cult. First, when he saves Rem/Ram, he "happens" to be there when the Witch's Cult attacked their village. It's most likely he was there as part of the attack and took the two because he thought they'd be useful for his plans. His sponsoring of Emilia seems to be a furthering of the Witch's Cult goals since he knows it will put a bulls-eye on her, but he doesn't seem to be overly concerned with keeping her safe. Second, the fact that Beatrice seems intimately familiar with the people within the Cult highlights the connection. It's also possible that Petelgeuse was corrupted in some way and they were originally allies in fighting Satella. Then it would suggest we have the Witch's Cult faction aligned with Satella and perhaps another faction of other witches trying to stop her. It feels like one way or another, he's trying to have Emilia take on the role of one of the Witch's or at least use her as a pawn in some way. Since the workings of the world aren't clear to us yet (i.e. role of dragon, witches, spirits, etc in how the world works), I'm a bit conflicted on exactly where Roswaal sits in all this, but I do feel like he's in bed with them. This Sanctuary then is going to have a strong correlation to the "Witch" faction, but I guess it's unclear to me which one. Then of course I got to the end of the episode and it kind of got highlighted that I'm on the right track. I'm trying to find the episode in season 1 where Ram explains some backstory on Satella, but can't right now. Anyways, fun times! Super pumped for this season!

I decided to watch the REZero Directors Cut since I forgot so much about the story. So on my break at work I watched the first episode. I really do need to re-watch since I realized I forgot more than I thought. So I'll truck away an episode a night then get into the new stuff. I really did enjoy this show.

bread's done
Back