Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

From what I hear, the last crossover movie sucked because the focus was 80% on Conan's group. Hopefully this will provide better focus.

From what I hear, the last crossover movie sucked because the focus was 80% on Conan's group. Hopefully this will provide better focus.
I've heard the same, but the last crossover was a TV special, not an actual theatrical release. I'm staying optimistic though. I hope the movie at least does well enough to result in some more Lupin III in the future.

Funimation announced at SDCC that they will be releasing .hack//SIGN, .hack//Roots, .hack//Legend Of The Twilight, and .hack//G.U. Trilogy on home video.

In other news, Initial D is ending this month. And Soul Eater is down to its very last chapter.

I've also very happy to share that Hajime No Ippo has been green-lit for another season. It's scheduled to start airing this fall in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen .hack//SIGN since it left Toonami (sorry, SVES) and only saw a few episodes of ROOTS. I just hope they won't be bulky combo packs, though they probably will.

Was expecting a Gundam announcement, but FUNi may be targeting ComiCon for that.

Well they basically doubled the length of the arc, then put even more filler in afterwards. What happens after that is actually pretty important (in the manga it happens directly after the Davy back fight).

I've heard people say that One Piece does a much better job with filler episodes, but Oda already paces his stuff so that there's a sort of lull between major arcs, and when they extend it it makes it even more painful. I really hope the ratings can hold up until Water 7, though I think that's a long ways away.

I have liked all of the other One piece filler until the Davey back fight.  (watched it on dvd until 204, whatever the last season 3 collection was)  This filler is just bad, though.  Interesting to see that Chiquicheetah isn't canon.

Finally got around to watching my Tenchi Muyo OAV Blu-rays (of course after getting the singles then the Ultimate Collection cheap) and I forgot how funny the series is. I really wish Petrea Burchard stayed in voice acting. Her Ryoko voice is spot on.

Also, damn Talent for Love for being so catchy. It's like a Shania Twain song: Extremely girly but can't help but sing along and won't get out of my head.

Got around to watching The World God Only Knows finally. Had low expectations going in, but I am very surprised how good it actually is.

That said, the one show I'm waiting on is Little Busters Refrain. Can't help I'm a sucker for Key's productions haha

Meh, I am not the One Piece crazy fanboy a lot of people are and this tournament is so freaking boring.

EDIT: Yea, the next month is going to be relatively sparse for Shonen Jump. Naruto, Toriko, Niseikoi, Jaco, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Z, plus one more chapter of Blue Exorcist. And Jugo will likely only last 1 volume like all of Toriyama's post-DB manga.

From Toriyama's intro the other week, it certainly seemed like this was intended to be a short series, I think he even gave a page count.

Is this DB in color thing just for the translated Shonen Jump? Are they actually going to release colorized volumes too. I love DB but I've read it to death, so it's the last thing I read.

A shame Cross Manage has ended. I enjoyed the manga.

And a 7 week break before the final battle in Bleach? Gah!
7 weeks? I swore I read somewhere that the break was going to be 5 weeks.

Plus isn't Oda still sick, so no One Piece for at least a couple of weeks?
Nobody really knows what's wrong with Oda at this point, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time this year in which he's had to take a week off, which is pretty uncommon for him. I believe One Piece should be back next week though.

And Jaco will likely only last 1 volume like all of Toriyama's post-DB manga.
I believe Jaco is supposed to last around 10 chapters. At least that's what I've read on various boards. There are even rumblings that it's somehow connected to the Dragon Ball universe.

From Toriyama's intro the other week, it certainly seemed like this was intended to be a short series, I think he even gave a page count.

Is this DB in color thing just for the translated Shonen Jump? Are they actually going to release colorized volumes too. I love DB but I've read it to death, so it's the last thing I read.
Yeah Toriyama mentioned in a comment in the Viz version of WSJ about it being 217 pages long.

And yes, Viz has announced that they will be printing volumes of the Dragon Ball Full Color Edition manga starting next year. The first volume will be $20 and will be larger than a regular manga. It's supposed to be about the same size as an American graphic novel.

I don't know about volumes, but the colored DB manga is in Japan also.

Yea, Toriyama hasn't done a long runner since DB ended.

So, who here is heading to Otakon? Hoping to get in to see Eva 3.33 and the TMR concert. If Otakon schedules them anywhere near each other I will scream. Hoping that Unicorn Episode 6 will also be screened.

Wow. Had no idea that the Kodocha sets were so out of print and expensive. Makes me wonder if I should get the singles and sell my thinpak sets...

Wow. Had no idea that the Kodocha sets were so out of print and expensive. Makes me wonder if I should get the singles and sell my thinpak sets...
Yeah, Funimation let those & Air the Movie go out of print last December(all 3 sets' final version was a S.A.V.E. edition). Air's price isn't that bad(most likely due to 3 different prints being released), but it's still climbing from what it was.

Toonami will air Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance on August 31st.

And then Star Wars: The Clone Wars will fill in the slot held by Eureka 7 once it finishes its run on Toonami.

Bought Kimagure Orange Road TV complete for $80 last night.
c9rz.jpg

How long is this tournament in one piece. Can we just see luffy win his brothers power already? holy shit

at least berserk has an excuse why its taken 6 years to get to fairy island as its released only twice a year

It also doesn't help the fact that Oda has taken at least 3 different breaks over the last few months.

It wouldn't take so long if Oda didn't feel the need to introduce 50 new characters.
I know ''THIS IS BLACKFOOT CAPTAIN LEADER OF THE RHREHR564HRE4HR54 BOUNTY 6GE68GEE4G8EG849 WITH SKILL OF HR546H46RR46RH'' I think that armored chick has a battle and then its the finals already. I don't think luffy would hit a chick she'll probably get ace's power

Yeah, I love One piece, and I hate this arc on toonami (the davey back fights) it wouldn't be so bad if it hasn't taken over 13 episodes so far, but it's a really moronic arc.

Funimation released a trailer to announce that they'll be releasing a 25th Anniversary Edition of Akira:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhLderbuGI

And then Daisuki has uploaded a bunch of anime series to its Youtube channel that can be watched for free and legally. Mobile Suit Gundam Z, ZZ, SEED HD and Sword Art Online are among them. Here they are: http://www.youtube.com/user/DAISUKI/videos?view=1&flow=list

I've been watching a few anime off Crunchyroll. After being in and out of the genre since college it's been kind of refreshing to just sit down and experiment with diffrent shows. Here's what I've seen:

Attack on Titan - Watched the first 14 episodes. Pretty weird and extremely violent but in an awesome way. Definitely going to keep watching this. Anyone have an idea of how long this series is going to be? Is the manga still going on?

Usagi Drop - This was recomened to me a while ago. I thought it would be the perfect anime to watch with the wife and we both liked it. A really nice and heart warming show. I wish there was more of it. I feel like it ended kinda short. It hits home since I have a 3 year old girl and I see a lot of similarities in my daughter and Rin-chan. Both are sweet and very independent.

Hunter x Hunter - Watched the first 2 episodes. It didn't really grab me. Should I give it another shot? It kinda reminds me of One Piece which I'm burnt out with at the moment.

Eccentric Family - WTF is up with this show? I watched the first 2 episodes but I feel like I'm missing something in the translation. I know a little about Japanese folklore but I think I'd get more out of it if I watched it with my wife. Maybe she can explain a few things to me that I think a blowing over my head. Still it's goofy and fun.

Sword Art Online - Only 3 episodes in but I love this show. I'm not an MMO gamer but I can kinda relate to whats going. I might even like this more than Attack on Titan. But something I dont get is why their real bodies aren't dieing of starvation?

I've been watching a few anime off Crunchyroll. After being in and out of the genre since college it's been kind of refreshing to just sit down and experiment with diffrent shows. Here's what I've seen:

Attack on Titan - Watched the first 14 episodes. Pretty weird and extremely violent but in an awesome way. Definitely going to keep watching this. Anyone have an idea of how long this series is going to be? Is the manga still going on?

Usagi Drop - This was recomened to me a while ago. I thought it would be the perfect anime to watch with the wife and we both liked it. A really nice and heart warming show. I wish there was more of it. I feel like it ended kinda short. It hits home since I have a 3 year old girl and I see a lot of similarities in my daughter and Rin-chan. Both are sweet and very independent.

Hunter x Hunter - Watched the first 2 episodes. It didn't really grab me. Should I give it another shot? It kinda reminds me of One Piece which I'm burnt out with at the moment.

Eccentric Family - WTF is up with this show? I watched the first 2 episodes but I feel like I'm missing something in the translation. I know a little about Japanese folklore but I think I'd get more out of it if I watched it with my wife. Maybe she can explain a few things to me that I think a blowing over my head. Still it's goofy and fun.

Sword Art Online - Only 3 episodes in but I love this show. I'm not an MMO gamer but I can kinda relate to whats going. I might even like this more than Attack on Titan. But something I dont get is why their real bodies aren't dieing of starvation?
I believe 25 episodes were ordered for Attack on Titan. But there's also an OVA coming that covers a side story in the manga. Yes, the manga is still going on. But the fact that it's a monthly series and is just under 4 years old are reasons not to expect anymore episodes after the show's run is over, at least not for a few years.

And I would highly recommend giving Hunter x Hunter another shot. If you've ever seen Yu Yu Hakusho, it was created by the same person. The Hunter Exam arc does start out slow but it definitely gets better. The anime follows the source material pretty faithfully and there are absolutely no fillers as of yet. I'd say it's different than One Piece. It gets darker down the line too. A lot more than One Piece ever has.

Usagi Drop - This was recomened to me a while ago. I thought it would be the perfect anime to watch with the wife and we both liked it. A really nice and heart warming show. I wish there was more of it. I feel like it ended kinda short. It hits home since I have a 3 year old girl and I see a lot of similarities in my daughter and Rin-chan. Both are sweet and very independent.
Sword Art Online - Only 3 episodes in but I love this show. I'm not an MMO gamer but I can kinda relate to whats going. I might even like this more than Attack on Titan. But something I dont get is why their real bodies aren't dieing of starvation?
I don't know where the Usagi Drop anime ends, but I'm assuming it only covers the first half. The second half is... well... uncomfortable at best.

As for SAO, the consensus is that they should have ended after the first half. But who said their real bodies aren't suffering? There are coma patients that survive decades. They do show real bodies at some point.

I've been watching a few anime off Crunchyroll. After being in and out of the genre since college it's been kind of refreshing to just sit down and experiment with diffrent shows. Here's what I've seen:

Attack on Titan - Watched the first 14 episodes. Pretty weird and extremely violent but in an awesome way. Definitely going to keep watching this. Anyone have an idea of how long this series is going to be? Is the manga still going on?

Eccentric Family - WTF is up with this show? I watched the first 2 episodes but I feel like I'm missing something in the translation. I know a little about Japanese folklore but I think I'd get more out of it if I watched it with my wife. Maybe she can explain a few things to me that I think a blowing over my head. Still it's goofy and fun.

Attack on Titan is scheduled for 25 episodes as PimpLimp said, yeah. The manga's also very good and pretty far ahead of the anime, I believe.

People are pretty crazy about Hunter x Hunter so I'd imagine it's worth the craze? I'm not sure.

I have no idea what's going on with Uchouten Kazoku. It's kinda interesting, but uh, yeah.

As for Sword Art Online, it's pretty good, but they could have cut it a bit shorter.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give Hunter x Hunter another chance after I'm done watching SOA.

Any other anime (maybe even dramas) on Crunchyroll you guys can recomend? I'm pretty much just going through the popular stuff, but I'm sure that's not the best stuff.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give Hunter x Hunter another chance after I'm done watching SOA.

Any other anime (maybe even dramas) on Crunchyroll you guys can recomend? I'm pretty much just going through the popular stuff, but I'm sure that's not the best stuff.
Well, no, Attack on Titan and SAO are up there.

bread's done
Back