Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='themaster20000']Am honestly surprised Media Blasters hasn't gone under yet considering they could never hold a release date to save their lives.[/QUOTE]

HENTAI , seriously their table at Otakon back in the day was nothing but smut and a few regular releases :lol:

[quote name='coolsteel']HENTAI , seriously their table at Otakon back in the day was nothing but smut and a few regular releases :lol:[/QUOTE]

That was basically 80% of their booth at NYC Comic Con this year.

[quote name='themaster20000']Am honestly surprised Media Blasters hasn't gone under yet considering they could never hold a release date to save their lives.[/QUOTE]
I am too.Really the only thing that I can think of that I thought was a really good property to make them some money was Rurouni Kenshin, but they charge a lot for that for what it is, or at least did.Haven't seen the prices for it but I remember for 3 boxsets you'd spend like 130$.

I thought this was pretty cool, Tim Burton is voicing a dog in a anime short that will air next year in Japan.

Here's a pic:
N0048529_l.jpg

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']steins gate is one of the best animes ever! :)[/QUOTE]

I Second that, Probably the best releases I've seen all year. The English Dubbing is pretty good as well.

Evangelion art books heads up:

Evangelion Chronicle: Illustrations got a third release: http://www.amazon.com/Evangelion-Chronicle-Illustrations-WEVE-Inc/dp/1926778553/

Der Mond w/ hardcover in stock and at a great price: www.amazon.com/Der-Mond-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion/dp/1421507676/

Brother is getting me ECI for Christmas ^^ Already have Der Mond. Of the Eva art books, Die Sterne is my favorite, but that one is harder to find at a good price.

-Update-
Flipped through ECI today. The pages are the same large size as DM and DS, high quality and thick paper. The art is similar to the anime, unlike DM and DS which contain a lot more abstract and spin-off art (like Rei in a yukata in the moonlight). Lots of Eva vs Angel art as well. Although I recommend all three art books to Eva fans, I would rank them: Die Sterne > Der Mond >> ECI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of anime art, I was clearing out an old Wii SD card yesterday and found pics of Animal Crossing City Folk anime art I had made:

FLCL:
ruu0039d.jpg
Asuka:
ruu0040l.jpg
Motoko:
ruu0045a.jpg
End of Evangelion:
ruu0079.jpg

Ha, those were good times (though brutally annoying to draw with a wiimote). The order above is the order I made them in, so they got better towards the end. I think I made more but the memory card didn't have any pics of them :p

I've been revisiting some old titles, since I can't remember them very well (and because I do not have cable or my HD TV at my new place). Marathoned Bebop, rahxephon, and am half way through Escaflowne. IDK what to watch next. I would like a 'cel' animated action series (other than Lodoss war and Outlaw Star). Any ideas?

I'd wager the odds of a US release is about 50/50. Something tells me it will meet the same fate as the Baccano Blu-ray set.

So I received my order from Rightstuf which among other things contained two $1 Blind Box items and a $5 Blind Box item.

The $1 items were Wedding Peach Volume 1 and Angelic Layer Volume 1. I take it girly titles are popular $1 items as I received Angelic Layer from a previous order two years ago. I peeled off the Rightstuf label on Angelic Layer to reveal a Best Buy label pricing this at $22.99.

The $5 item is for "Submarine 707R" Limited Edition DVD. I never heard of this. Is it any good?

So I finally watched FLCL for the first time and....well.....uh? Can't say I enjoyed it, did LOL a few times but FAR from one of the greatest shows of all time. Can't even say for sure that I liked it.

FMA Brotherhood on the other hand is f'in amazing, just as good (maybe a little less) as the original. It's a very different story, but still loving every episode.

The only thing I liked about FLCL was the music. Otherwise, eh.

I've been wanting to catch up on Brotherhood, but yeah it's pretty damn good. They tend to try too hard with the comedy from time to time, but it's a solid series.

[quote name='Cage017']The only thing I liked about FLCL was the music. Otherwise, eh.[/QUOTE]

The music and the animated manga scenes.

It was great when it came out, but it's now only good, imo.

FLCL didn't register at all in Japan, but in the US it was one of the first "batshit insane" anime to appear. Remember, this was before shows like Excel Saga and Bobobo.

[quote name='Cage017']The only thing I liked about FLCL was the music.[/QUOTE]

I still have the pillows in my regular MP3 rotation.

FLCL aired on Adult Swim over 9 years ago and I can see it losing some if its luster like Nukem mentioned. The music is a clear standout though.

Kinda need opinions on a potential purchase. I've been considering Jubei-chan, since Media Blasters is re-releasing next week(hopefully). I'm thinking about grabbing it, since Bandai's collections are $30+, MB's version is $13 on Amazon and I have a feeling that it'll have a low print run due to MB's current situation.

But from the reviews I've read, it seems the show basically a throw away. Where it focused more on the animation than story.

Just wondering anyone's seen it and can tell me if it's even worth the $13 for it or not?

Besides the music and style, I also really enjoy FLCL's story of growing up.

[quote name='ced']I still have the pillows in my regular MP3 rotation.[/QUOTE]
Me too.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Kinda need opinions on a potential purchase. I've been considering Jubei-chan, since Media Blasters is re-releasing next week(hopefully). I'm thinking about grabbing it, since Bandai's collections are $30+, MB's version is $13 on Amazon and I have a feeling that it'll have a low print run due to MB's current situation.

But from the reviews I've read, it seems the show basically a throw away. Where it focused more on the animation than story.

Just wondering anyone's seen it and can tell me if it's even worth the $13 for it or not?[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind the previous collection had a 5.1 sound mix for English . As for the show itself it is a comedy and quite funny at times you could do much worse for $13 dollars. If reviews are saying it focused more on animation than story then at some point the reviewer zoned out on this being a comedy with the animation carrying the gags.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Kinda need opinions on a potential purchase. I've been considering Jubei-chan, since Media Blasters is re-releasing next week(hopefully). I'm thinking about grabbing it, since Bandai's collections are $30+, MB's version is $13 on Amazon and I have a feeling that it'll have a low print run due to MB's current situation.[/QUOTE]

O.O Media Blasters has Jubei-chan? When'd that happen?

Season 1 is decent, but unremarkable. Season 2 (released as J2 by Geneon) has by far many of the greatest swordfights ever animated.

It does break many magical girl conventions, mostly in that main character Jiyu refuses the eyepatch as often as she can and her father gets realistically protective of her once he finds out.

It is from the same guy who directed Kodocha and Fruits Basket. If you do get it, get the J2 bundle from RightStuf. It is that good.

EDIT: I am looking at Amazon, and 3 of the four volumes from Season 1 are less than a dollar.so you could get those too. Some guy also has the individual volumes for 0.99 on eBay.

If anybody wants a good action/gag manga to read, I highly recommend Onepunch-man. It's about a hero who as the name implies, can defeat any enemy in one punch. It's gory and hilarious, just how I like 'em.

It started as a web comic and then got picked up by Shueisha and now runs in Young Jump.

[quote name='DNukem170']O.O Media Blasters has Jubei-chan? When'd that happen?

EDIT: I am looking at Amazon, and 3 of the four volumes from Season 1 are less than a dollar.so you could get those too. Some guy also has the individual volumes for 0.99 on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Media Blasters licensed it back around June/July last year. But up until last month, no one knew what exactly they licensed, which it turned out to be season 1.

Since it sounds like it's at least worth $13, I placed an order for it. I'd rather have it all in one box set, as it'll save on shelf space. Hopefully it's not one of those stack packs they've been doing, where all the discs are stacked on a spindle(are they that cheap?).

Actually went through a couple boxes a few hours ago to clean out some DVDs. Which I found a sealed copy of Vol. 1 of season 2 that I guess I forgot I bought back in 2011. Watched the first episode of that and seems decent enough.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Media Blasters licensed it back around June/July last year. But up until last month, no one knew what exactly they licensed, which it turned out to be season 1.

Since it sounds like it's at least worth $13, I placed an order for it. I'd rather have it all in one box set, as it'll save on shelf space. Hopefully it's not one of those stack packs they've been doing, where all the discs are stacked on a spindle(are they that cheap?).

Actually went through a couple boxes a few hours ago to clean out some DVDs. Which I found a sealed copy of Vol. 1 of season 2 that I guess I forgot I bought back in 2011. Watched the first episode of that and seems decent enough.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I really, really like Jubei-chan, both seasons one and two. I think you'll have a good time with it.

Rented the Mass Effect anime on PSN, wow that was terrible. Also really distracting that one of the main characters is the same voice as Edward Elric but still very bad.

Finished Brotherhood and the movie, main series was incredible. Movie was surprisingly good considering how the TV series ends.

Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that. First season was really great, second was decent, and now a movie? Hmm. Still waiting on a season 3 announcement too, considering how big the series is in Japan I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet.

[quote name='the_punisher']
Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that. First season was really great, second was decent, and now a movie? Hmm. Still waiting on a season 3 announcement too, considering how big the series is in Japan I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet.[/QUOTE]

Movie is pretty good, but the part with only Kyon and Nagato drags on for a while. Probably could be a little shorter though.

I've just started watching Higurashi no Naku Kori ni. I'm on episode three right now, but I have to know if this show is worth watching. I mean, does Keiichi develop a set of balls? He's not being completely passive about everyone trying to kill him and his friends watching everything he does with their demon eyes, but come on, it's submissive to not confront them. I know there's a twist in here (finished watching Another a few months ago) but is it worth it? Do they stagnate through the whole series with this questionable character growth? :(

And FYI, it doesn't matter how young you are, or how close you are; if someone follows you, threatens you, and gives you food with needles in it as a "get well soon" package in reality, you tell them to fuck right off. And if they're the same sex, you punch them right in the throat. This level of stoicism if unacceptable for any semi-realistic anime...

[quote name='the_punisher']Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed the Haruhi movie, it made up for that 8-parter in season 2.

Just got finished watching Angel Beats. Wow. That was some show.

[quote name='DNukem170']Movie is pretty good, but the part with only Kyon and Nagato drags on for a while. Probably could be a little shorter though.[/QUOTE]

A little shorter? That movie was fucking long. Not that it's bad or anything.

Just picked up Oyasumi Punpun and man do I regret not picking it up earlier. Really makes me feel like shit sometimes.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I really enjoyed the Haruhi movie, it made up for that 8-parter in season 2. [/QUOTE]
Definitely, I don't know how Kyoani thought it was acceptable to make 8 episodes that were virtually the same. I've heard that the E8 arc in the light novel didn't even last that long either.

[quote name='DNukem170']FLCL didn't register at all in Japan, but in the US it was one of the first "batshit insane" anime to appear. Remember, this was before shows like Excel Saga and Bobobo.[/QUOTE]
I saw and had the box set of excel saga years before I'd even heard of flcl. that doesn't mean everything I know, but I tend to think excel saga was over here way before flcl.

I found flcl massively over-rated. mostly by those who liked the subject matter and/or wanted to sound pretentious by saying, 'you just don't get it.' I got it. I wasn't afraid to say it was crap even though I was (may still be) ostracized for saying it.

OK, Excel Saga's first DVD was released 3 months before FLCL's first DVD, but Excel Saga never aired on TV, so not as many anime fans watched it.

[quote name='Blade']I've just started watching Higurashi no Naku Kori ni. I'm on episode three right now, but I have to know if this show is worth watching. I mean, does Keiichi develop a set of balls? He's not being completely passive about everyone trying to kill him and his friends watching everything he does with their demon eyes, but come on, it's submissive to not confront them. I know there's a twist in here (finished watching Another a few months ago) but is it worth it? Do they stagnate through the whole series with this questionable character growth? :(

And FYI, it doesn't matter how young you are, or how close you are; if someone follows you, threatens you, and gives you food with needles in it as a "get well soon" package in reality, you tell them to fuck right off. And if they're the same sex, you punch them right in the throat. This level of stoicism if unacceptable for any semi-realistic anime...
[/QUOTE]

Yes, there's a twist to it. The show is being presented to you like viewing all of a visual novel's multiple endings, except each route provides more information for solving the overall mystery. You're not watching the whole deal with one story arc or even one season. I'm not sure Higurashi is that strong in character growth, as it is in story development, but you do learn a lot about each of them as it goes on. I think it's a great show but if the mystery and runaway paranoia isn't hooking you then this show may not be for you.

Hay friends.I'm thinking about getting the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series on blu-ray with the latest price drop to about 30$.I'm curious though and was hoping you guys could inform me here.Does the OVA series end at Episode 8 or is there more to come?

Edit : Nvm lol.Went and looked it up and theres at least two more episodes that haven't came to the states yet.

[quote name='DNukem170']I would be more interested if it was another OP/DBZ only crossover.[/QUOTE]

This, please. The manga One Piece/DBZ crossover was awesome. Zoro and Piccolo all day, every day.

Finally watching through Katekyo Hitman Reborn fully. I absolutely loving it, finishing through episodes pretty fast. Hoping to have my Tsuna cosplay ready for Katsucon this weekend (I'm currently trying to style the wig w/ spikes).

I finally saw and finished Serial Experiments Lain on Sunday (marathon it). Very interesting....

I was just in Target and Nintendo is apparently repackaging the Japanese Pokemon figures again instead of making their own. Considering they have gone up in price, these new packs are kind of nice.

bread's done
Back