Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Started reading Path of the Assassin last night. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but it's an interesting change of pace from Lone Wolf and Cub.

A new Pokemon movie has been announced. It's called Pokemon XY: Cocoon of Destruction.

20131212-135202.jpg

This is going to be the first movie about the 6th generation and seems to involve the new legendaries and mega-evolved Pokemon.

EDIT: Here's a teaser trailer for the new movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARel5YoHgA

And then there's also a short that's going to run with the film called "Pikachu, What's This Key For?"

E7P7JLq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one will probably have Xerneas and Yvetyl as the main Legendaries. Hopefully the MegaEvolutions actually get some focus and not just appear at the very end for the final battle.

Here's a new trailer for Space Dandy and I believe it's the first we've heard of the English dub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVOjYPG2bQ

The inclusion of the Misfits song made me happy.

Just bought the first Yugioh GX manga and 4 volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho and I gotta say I breezed right  through these books. When it comes to manga I can read a lot.

So I just installed the Funimation Roku Channel, and even though I'm not an Elite subscriber, I think I'm getting all the Elite videos. Then again, I don't notice anything different when logged out of the official site, seems I can still view all the dubbed and subbed titles I want without commercial.

Just curious if I'm missing something, or perhaps there are other benefits to Elite?

I been on a Hunter x Hunter addiction for the last couple weeks. Already plowed through 50+ episodes. I was on the fence during the first several episodes but I'm glad I stuck with it. Can anyone explain why the manga hasn't finished yet considering it started in 1998? And why did they reboot the anime?

Also keeping up with Log Horizon & Yowamushi Pedal. Both of which I'm enjoying a lot.

The wife and myself are really enjoying Space Brothers together. Unfortunatly we've just about caught up with the current episode. No more steamrolling throgh 5 or 6 episodes a night.

I probably ask this everytime I post but anything on Crunchroll you guys would recomend? Maybe something that's already finished.

Hunter x Hunter is easily one of my favorite animes and I'd say the best shounen currently airing. A couple days ago I watched over 30 episodes of the original series in one day.

I believe it takes a lot of hiatuses. It's at around 300 chapters right now and has 32 volumes. Yoshihiro Togashi works on it alone.

As for why they ended the original series with an ongoing manga, I'm not sure. But I would recommend watching that too if you like 2011. I enjoyed the original more than the current.

and with crunchyroll, I have a couple of suggestions. I'll edit this once I look through my queue on there.

I'd suggest Kuroko no Basuke (the second season is currently airing), Rurouni Kenshin (a bit long, has 95 or 96 episodes), and Durarara is also one of my favorites if you haven't watched that yet.

Hunter x Hunter is easily one of my favorite animes and I'd say the best shounen currently airing. A couple days ago I watched over 30 episodes of the original series in one day.

I believe it takes a lot of hiatuses. It's at around 300 chapters right now and has 32 volumes. Yoshihiro Togashi works on it alone.

As for why they ended the original series with an ongoing manga, I'm not sure. But I would recommend watching that too if you like 2011. I enjoyed the original more than the current.
It makes me happy to see another HxH fan on here. I'd say HxH is probably one of my favorite shounen ever.

But man do I have a love/hate relationship with Togashi. He's responsible for creating some of my favorite series of all time (Yu Yu Hakusho & Hunter x Hunter), but the breaks he takes drive me insane. I wouldn't say he takes a lot of hiatuses, it's just when he does, they're ridiculously long. Not including the the two-chapter prequel for the HxH: Phantom Rouge movie, it will be 2 years in March since he's released a new chapter. I think out of the last 5 years or so he's been on break for a total of 3 or more years.

I think the original HxH anime ended because it had pretty much caught up to the manga at that point when it was airing. I assume they then took a break and started releasing the OVAs once they had more material to work from. My only real gripe with the older series is that I don't think the art aged well at all. The 2011 series just looks leaps better IMO.

I sadly think the 2011 series may be ending next year though. The Chimera Ant Arc is going to reach it's climax soon and ending the series once it wraps up seems like the perfect way to go out.

Now to talk about something besides Hunter x Hunter, here's a teaser trailer for the new Fafner sequel coming next fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWEh8X0xPEc

Thanks for the suggestions. My wife read Rurouni Kenshin when the manga first came out so that's something we can watch together possibly.

I'm familar with Kuroko no Basuke. Apprently the manga was pulled from selves in Japan because some disgruntled wannabe manga artist thought it didn't deserve any attention. So he sent threats saying if stores sold it he would kill people at random. About a week ago they finally caught the guy. His threats were hallow, he never murdered anyone. But they did find a bunch of crazy letters in his backpack when they apprehended him.

I really liked the art style for HXH99. But I'm kinda a sucker for 90s anime art style. But Madhouse is doing very well with HXH2011.

I just found out that Togashi wrote Yu Yu Hakusho a couple weeks ago and was amazed. YYH is still one of my favorite mangas. I'm planning on watching the anime eventually.

I also started the only other manga of his that seems relatively popular though I don't remember the name. Something about an alien crash landing on earth. I read the first chapter then decided I'd watch the anime.

I heard about the stuff with KnB from ANN. I didn't really look into it that much but I did hear about him getting caught. The anime's really good. I plan on reading the manga eventually.

Also finished Tiger and Bunny today and it was okay. Also started Berserk today. It's interesting so far. Also finished Gantz yesterday and around the ending where the characters where talking with the deities I started liking it a lot more than before.

Around the middle to the end it reeked a bit of DBZ syndrome.

New Year, and another season of anime!

I am slowly catching up from all of the ones that just finished that I want to watch.

So far this season I have watched Ace of the Diamond, Golden Time, Kuroko's no Basket, Kill La Kill, Little Busters Refrain and Log Horizon and White Album 2. Pretty much enjoyed them all, and I still plan to watch 5 -6 more haha.

The only one I ending up not liking is Magi. Watched the first season and enjoyed it, but didn't really click with me anymore for some reason. Am most likely going to drop it from here on out.

But I think out of all of them I saw, I think my three favorites of the last season (So far) are Golden Time, Log Horizon, and White Album 2 (I can say I was honestly very, VERY surprised with this one)

Golden Time, I am loving that show to death! Easily my favorite current anime, the new episode is probably the highlight of my entertainment week. I'm not sure how long I will be able to handle the feels though, I foresee lots of sadness in the near future...

Oh, and I never mentioned it but I started watching Kill La Kill on you recommendation 3GSig and wow, I don't even know what to think of it right now it's outrageous. All I do know though is I've been laughing and grinning through each episode (which are only getting better so far), so thanks for turning me onto something I otherwise never would have checked out.

Golden Time, I am loving that show to death! Easily my favorite current anime, the new episode is probably the highlight of my entertainment week. I'm not sure how long I will be able to handle the feels though, I foresee lots of sadness in the near future...

Oh, and I never mentioned it but I started watching Kill La Kill on you recommendation 3GSig and wow, I don't even know what to think of it right now it's outrageous. All I do know though is I've been laughing and grinning through each episode (which are only getting better so far), so thanks for turning me onto something I otherwise never would have checked out.
I'm in the same boat as usually I am turned away by the sheer amount of fan service. But it is crazy enough where I am actually really enoying it.

And if you want even more feels, check out White Album 2. Went in with a blank mind and it is now one of my favorites of the season (but it does pull at your heartstrings toward the end)

Don't forget folks, Space Dandy starts this Saturday.

EDIT: Aaaaand the Japanese version of the first episode of Space Dandy has already been leaked lol.

Don't forget folks, Space Dandy starts this Saturday.

EDIT: Aaaaand the Japanese version of the first episode of Space Dandy has already been leaked lol.
LOL, i look up space dandy after you mention it here out of curiosity. it reminds me alot of cowboy bebop

New Year, and another season of anime!

I am slowly catching up from all of the ones that just finished that I want to watch.

So far this season I have watched Ace of the Diamond, Golden Time, Kuroko's no Basket, Kill La Kill, Little Busters Refrain and Log Horizon and White Album 2. Pretty much enjoyed them all, and I still plan to watch 5 -6 more haha.

The only one I ending up not liking is Magi. Watched the first season and enjoyed it, but didn't really click with me anymore for some reason. Am most likely going to drop it from here on out.

But I think out of all of them I saw, I think my three favorites of the last season (So far) are Golden Time, Log Horizon, and White Album 2 (I can say I was honestly very, VERY surprised with this one)
How would you compare Log Horizon to Sword Art Online? Incidentally, I love Kuroko.

How would you compare Log Horizon to Sword Art Online? Incidentally, I love Kuroko.
The two have some similarities in the sense that they are stuck in an mmo, but after that the differences are quite substantial.

SAO was more focused on action and the overpowered main (harem loving) character Kirito, while Log Horizon takes itself less seriously and focuses less on the action (There still is some), but more on the solving the problems within the society of the game as there are no laws.

I didn't necessarily dislike Sword Art Online, but the way the story flattened out halfway through, and the felt forced romance turned me away (Loved the action scenes however.)

With Log Horizon, I like it because it actually feels like an MMO. Where as instead of there being the goal to get out as fast as they can, they know they can't do anything themselves (At the moment at least) so they adjust their livelihoods in the game to make an actual in game society.

Should check it out yourself, as I highly recommend it!

Checked out Space Dandy last night, and the pacing along with the voice acting seemed a bit off. I'll definitely give it a few more episodes, though.

I liked Space Dandy but wasn't fond of the QT autotune voice. If it wasn't for people marketing on that method of speaking (it's like everyone moved on from "bullet time") it wouldn't have bothered me as much. There was a lot going on with the animation and the comedy wasn't forced like Shin Chan so it made me want to see it again to catch things I missed on the first viewing.

I hope they keep it up. Maybe times I would like a show's first episode and by Episode 5 I'm tired of it (i.e. Blood+, Trinity Blood, Kikaider). The opposite also happened where I hated it at first and ended up loving it (i.e. Gurren Lagaan, DBZ, Kenshin).  Either way, I'm excited to see what's next.

I've only seen one episode so far and it was ok. I'm wary to watch more because in Gurren Lagann there were a lot of parts where the show expected the audience to take it seriously.

Just wanted to thank everyone who recomended Golden Time. Watched the first 10 episodes and really enjoyed it.

I just started the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter and I feel like the series is taking a dive. I loved Greed Island but I'm completly disintrested in this current arc. Please someone tell me it gets good and just stick with it.

As for Log Horizon vs SOA I have to give it to LH. The first half of SOA was great but the second half just killed it for me. LH has a lighter mood and the world and characters are more intresting. No sappy love story getting in the way and Shiroe is badass. Less action but that's not really a bad thing if you have an ensamble of good characters.

The chimera ant arc is good but it doesn't have much of Gon, Killua, Leorio, or Kurapika if that's what you're looking for. The villain is neat but it's also my least favorite arc. I believe it will be over soon. But I haven't read all the manga.

The chimera ant arc is good but it doesn't have much of Gon, Killua, Leorio, or Kurapika if that's what you're looking for. The villain is neat but it's also my least favorite arc. I believe it will be over soon. But I haven't read all the manga.
Do Gon and Killua grow or develop like they have been during the entire series? And does this arc have a impact on the main plotline or is more like a side story?

I'd say they grow, yes. I wouldn't say as much as in the other arcs. I'm not really sure what would count as a plotline for HxH besides Gon finding his dad. I would say it's more side story than plotline, but still relatively important.

also, about to finish Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. I'm hoping I can fit the remaining 10 episodes in tonight.

I watched most of the anime from the winter season that's started by now. Noragami was very good, which is to be expected because I enjoy the manga. Nobunaga the Fool was very strange since it is partly historical and partly mecha. I enjoyed Witch Craft Works a lot. Space Dandy was also good. Tonari no Seki-kun was neat, and the episodes are 7min long so I'll keep with that.

I'm not sure if the other one I planned on watching (Toaru something) has aired yet, but I'll watch that when I can.

I just started the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter and I feel like the series is taking a dive. I loved Greed Island but I'm completly disintrested in this current arc. Please someone tell me it gets good and just stick with it.
Do Gon and Killua grow or develop like they have been during the entire series? And does this arc have a impact on the main plotline or is more like a side story?
Not to be a dick or anything, but completely disregard everything genderbreak said lol. I've read all of the HxH manga, and the Chimera Ant arc is probably one of the most important arcs of the entire series. It's also the longest.

The Chimera Ant arc does start out slow, but that's because almost the entire plot needs to be set up right from the beginning and the setup takes a while. If you stick with it, your interest should return. Depending on how far you are, you probably haven't even met some of the major characters in this arc. This arc also has some of the most epic fights of the series and you get to see Gon go full on rage mode.

Yes, both Gon and Killua grow and develop during this arc. Gon especially. His relationship with Kite has an extremely deep and lasting effect on him. This arc has a direct impact on the main plotline and story. The next arc in HxH is entirely about dealing with the aftermath of the Chimera Ant arc.

I'm in the same boat as usually I am turned away by the sheer amount of fan service. But it is crazy enough where I am actually really enoying it.

And if you want even more feels, check out White Album 2. Went in with a blank mind and it is now one of my favorites of the season (but it does pull at your heartstrings toward the end)
Should I watch the first White Album before going onto 2?

And thanks PimpLimp. I'll stick with it.

Should I watch the first White Album before going onto 2?

And thanks PimpLimp. I'll stick with it.
I didn't watch it as I saw reviews saying it was pretty bad, and also because it doesn't have anything really to do with White Album 2, outside of minor references.

And from what I have gathered, there is word that a second season for White Album 2 is coming. This season either covered only 1/3 or a 1/2 of the 2 visual novels, so plenty more to expand upon. (And at least for me, it left me wanting more!)

I was so bummed to go on Crunchyroll and see the new episode had been delayed for a few weeks :(

Something to looks forward to I guess.
It's because it was on break for a couple weeks due to the holidays. As it gives the animation studio's staff a break and the tv studios usually air specials during those two weeks anyway. It's also to time it to the winter anime premiere schedule, so that it will end when all the Winter shows end(since it's at the halfway point now w/ 12 out of 24 episodes aired).

Looked at the stuff that's aired so far, most are decent. But Super Sonico and that "Recently My Sister is Unusual" seem to be the worst of the batch so far. Super Sonico just proves that studios shouldn't do a show based around a company mascot(you'd think they would've learned their lesson with Rio: Rainbow Gate?). Somehow the sister show is actually making OniAi look like a freaking masterpiece with how boring and weird it is.

It's because it was on break for a couple weeks due to the holidays. As it gives the animation studio's staff a break and the tv studios usually air specials during those two weeks anyway. It's also to time it to the winter anime premiere schedule, so that it will end when all the Winter shows end(since it's at the halfway point now w/ 12 out of 24 episodes aired).
Yeah I realized, but it was still disappointing and something I didn't account for until I went to watch the new episode.

Caught up with Golden Time. Good stuff. I never would've thought I could enjoy a romantic anime as much as this. Any other animes similar to this? Only one I can think of that I've seen was Kids on the Slope (which I loved). Also I'll give White Album 2 a go and I guess I'll skip the first one.

Also started watching Watamote. Unfortunatly I can't find it on my console Crunchyroll apps, but I was able to get it on my Kindle. So I guess I'll watch it at work during breaks.

I'm done with Samurai Flamenco. I started off promising but around episode 8 it really went to shit. I got to episode 10 and couldn't get trough it. I was hoping they'd keep up the Kick Ass meets anime idea but the King Torture stuff just killed the show for me. I think the idea of him struggling to be a super hero and managing his life is far more intresting than making it into a Masked Rider/Power Rangers knock off.

Started watching Naruto Shippuden again, on like episode 48.. I haven't watched Naruto properly for maybe 6 years so much catching up to do. Hope I don't hit a filler wall anytime soon...

There are a few filler arcs in between the canon arcs, but they tend to use background details and stuff the manga couldn't show as a basis for it. At least, the early arcs.

Watching Zatch Bell. The dub edits ate very bad, but overall still a great show.

Finished Trigun last night and it was okay. Started Kokoro Connect and am watching episode 8 right now.

Also watched most of what aired yesterday and the one that stuck out most was Hamatora. D Frag and Buddy Complex were okay. Toaru Hikuushi e no Kouita I'm not sure what to think about.

Quit watching Watamote at episode #9. It was cute at first but it started getting annoying. I wanted to see Tomoko develop and grow up, but she kept acting like a dumb 5 year old. Just wasn't for me. Started watching Kuroko's Basketball and Durara instead.

Finished Bakemonogatari (way behind the times, but I only recently started watching subs). I loved every second of it. Now on Nisemonogatari.

Finished Kokoro Connect yesterday and loved it. Also watched Phantom Rouge and enjoyed it.

Watching the new season of Chuunibyou right now and I heard it was good. I enjoyed the first season so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Due to my recent purchases during the Amazon Funi sale, I watched Steins;Gate and Guilty Crown.

Loved Steins;Gate.  I sort of can understand why some people found the first part lacking (even though I loved it), but I don't think there would have been such a strong emotional impact with the second half without it. 

I really liked Guilty Crown, overall. I loved the animation and music.  The second half really did start to go off the charts and really didn't work most of the time, but I did enjoy the last few episodes and the ending. 

I still had my $10 Walmart e-card kicking around from the website fiasco, so I picked up Mushi-Shi in anticipation of the next season.  I will probably start it soon. 

As for current, I'm glad Golden Time is back.  I did enjoy the first episode of Chunibyo 2. I liked the first season.  I also watched the first episode of Hamatora which I enjoyed.  Interesting set of characters. I will keep watching that. 

bread's done
Back