Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Watched the first episodes of Black Bullet, One Week Friends, Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior, Irregular at Magic High School and Brynhildr in the Darkness.  All are nothing special, but entertaining enough to keep watching.  I did find Kawai really funny and One Week Friends really cute.  Still need to check out Captain Earth and finish up the original Mushi-shi before watching the new season.

The first 2 Berserk movies are free to watch on Hulu until the 13th. Both have the sub and dub available to pick from.

And it took a while, but the new chapter of One Piece finally confirms
that Lucy is indeed Luffy's "other" brother who was thought to be dead, Sabo. He also ate the Mera Mera no Mi and now has the same powers as Ace. Hopefully this will lead to something involving Dragon, knowing that Sabo is part of the Revolutionary Army.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, Baby Steps, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Captain Earth, Haikyuu!!, Isshuukan Friends, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san, and Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii seem good. Although, I would recommend you read the manga for Haikyuu!! in addition to watching it (or instead, or before) if you like reading manga.

Was listening to Japan-a-Radio earlier today at work and actually recognized several songs! And not just the Tenchi Muyo songs either!

He'll just go on hiatus again after 2 or 3 chapters.It really wouldn't surprise me at this point.
Yeah you're probably right, but I'll take anything I can get at this point. He put out 7 chapters of his mini series Gigantomakhia pretty fast, so I'm hoping that indicates we'll get at least that many, if not more.

And I don't know if anybody else is reading Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins) but it's getting its own anime.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is a really good anime.

I just can't seem to be content with any other anime after finishing that.

Such as.. Outbreak Company, Golden Time, Red Data Girl, Uta no Prince Sama, The Eccentric Family, Gatchaman Crowds, Danganronpa, and Beyond the Boundary. Someone help me ! :(

I'm gonna have to say the same thing as MrNinjaSquirrel, but with Gatchaman Crowds and The Eccentric Family. 

Finally finished Dragon Ball. Now I can finally start Dragon Ball Z. 

The Devil is a Part-Timer is a really good anime.

I just can't seem to be content with any other anime after finishing that.

Such as.. Outbreak Company, Golden Time, Red Data Girl, Uta no Prince Sama, The Eccentric Family, Gatchaman Crowds, Danganronpa, and Beyond the Boundary. Someone help me ! :(
See I think you are doing it wrong. You are watching a bunch of shows that are in general around the same quality as the show you really enjoyed, to me that is absolutely the wrong move.

If you start with something good, and keep trying to watch good stuff, a lot of it is going to end up being very meh to you instead of awesome... that age old you can't have good without bad stuff :p

what I always do after I find a show I really enjoy is then find a show that is terrible (but still watchable) and watch that (typically some sort of ecchi show that sort of has the same feel) which reminds me how terrible a lot of anime is, and how I should appreciate the good shows out there. Might I suggest ichiban ushiro no daimaou to cleanse your pallet :p?

side note... to be fair devil was better than most of those shows you listed (at least the ones I watched I dropped red data girl, and gatchaman crowds early on because I didn't find them to be very good at all :p)

See I think you are doing it wrong. You are watching a bunch of shows that are in general around the same quality as the show you really enjoyed, to me that is absolutely the wrong move.

If you start with something good, and keep trying to watch good stuff, a lot of it is going to end up being very meh to you instead of awesome... that age old you can't have good without bad stuff :p

what I always do after I find a show I really enjoy is then find a show that is terrible (but still watchable) and watch that (typically some sort of ecchi show that sort of has the same feel) which reminds me how terrible a lot of anime is, and how I should appreciate the good shows out there. Might I suggest ichiban ushiro no daimaou to cleanse your pallet :p?

side note... to be fair devil was better than most of those shows you listed (at least the ones I watched I dropped red data girl, and gatchaman crowds early on because I didn't find them to be very good at all :p)
I tried that too, I just didn't list the really bad ones I tried watching. Like Nobunaga the fool and Noragami.

I mean I guess I could go back and try to finish Bleach, Naruto Shippuden and Fairy Tail, but I have absolutely no idea whereabouts I am in those series since I dropped them back in 2010.

I just don't think I can enjoy anime as much as I used to. I probably had one series I really liked each year since then. SAO, Maid Sama & Devil is a Part Timer.

I enjoyed Devil is a Part Timer. It sounds like you probably enjoyed it more then me.

Stick with Golden Time, it gets a little slow around the middle, but it picks up and finishes good. Sure it's gets a little melodramatic at the end but what romantic comedy anime doesn't.

Devil Part-Timer just kinda ends when the story was still on a roll (and I hate it when anime do this). Maybe a couple epilogue episodes to see where they end up to give me some closure. Still it's not as bad as most just like "okay we're done." And that's my main negativity towards it. I would've like to see more of it and I feel like there was more story to be told. Still a fun watch.

Similarly I finished up Baccano! and felt the same. I know that was the point to the ending "leaving it up to the reader/viewer," but still it felt lazy. Too many plots left open ended. Amazing show regardless.

And while I'm on the subject (forgive my rant) that's my main gripe about a lot of anime. The endings are too weak. One of the few I felt had a strong ending leaving me content was Kids on the Slope. Most beautiful and perfect ending. I wish more were like that.

I enjoyed Devil is a Part Timer. It sounds like you probably enjoyed it more then me.

Stick with Golden Time, it gets a little slow around the middle, but it picks up and finishes good. Sure it's gets a little melodramatic at the end but what romantic comedy anime doesn't.

Devil Part-Timer just kinda ends when the story was still on a roll (and I hate it when anime do this). Maybe a couple epilogue episodes to see where they end up to give me some closure. Still it's not as bad as most just like "okay we're done." And that's my main negativity towards it. I would've like to see more of it and I feel like there was more story to be told. Still a fun watch.

Similarly I finished up Baccano! and felt the same. I know that was the point to the ending "leaving it up to the reader/viewer," but still it felt lazy. Too many plots left open ended. Amazing show regardless.

And while I'm on the subject (forgive my rant) that's my main gripe about a lot of anime. The endings are too weak. One of the few I felt had a strong ending leaving me content was Kids on the Slope. Most beautiful and perfect ending. I wish more were like that.
I have no problems with melodramatic shows. Especially since I used to love watching Asian dramas as a youth.

But I agree with you about animes and weak endings ! just UGHHHHHH.

One of my gripes about SAO was that, there was a good spot for the series to stop but they had to continue on with the second MMO story line. I started out really like the show, and ended up not liking it as much as I did by the time it ended.

Maid-sama had an ending similar to Devil is a Part-Timer. It made me want to find out more, so I ended up reading the manga :3

Unsurprisingly, Toonami has picked up Attack on Titan. It's premiering on May 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTxCp1tryyE

Eh, I'm still not on the bandwagon for Black Lagoon. I got so bored by the first half of the latest episode with all the talking that I fell asleep. Felt like that guy on the HTC commercial who goes "blah blah blah blah blah".

Eh, I'm still not on the bandwagon for Black Lagoon. I got so bored by the first half of the latest episode with all the talking that I fell asleep. Felt like that guy on the HTC commercial who goes "blah blah blah blah blah".
That pretty much sums up my opinion on Black Lagoon, and I've seen all of it. Every single character is incredibly unlikable, and the script is trite as heck.

The show is badass just for having a flamethrower wielding Drew Carey.

455049-torchburn.png

I heard the episode I missed had Nazi submarines in the second half. The city is definitely not the right place for these characters. I'll try to catch a rerun on Crunchyroll or adultswim.com/toonami.com if it's available.

Wow, my top 5 is way different:

1. Dragonball Z 

2. The Big O

3. Case Closed

4. Lupin the Third

5. Death Note

Speaking of Case Closed, I noticed Volume 50 of the manga came out recently here in the States. This has me wondering the following:

Where do you go for the latest news on Detective Conan? Funimation's message board use to be full of news on it, but it fizzled out. The last thing I heard about was the latest movie at the time (15?) that involved pirates. Have they even reached 600 episodes yet? 

Not really anime related but I'll be leaving for a trip to Japan on Wednesday. I'm staying in the Shinjuku area and I'll be there for a couple weeks. I'll hit up Ikebukuru a few times. They have a pretty cool store called Animate which has nothing but anime/video game merchandise.

No plans to go to Akihabara this time around but I have been trying to convince my wife to go with me to a maid cafe but she wont budge. I'm not really into that stuff but I just want to go for shits and giggles. She doesn't mind if I go but I really don't want to go alone, looks kinda sad. But I have been to the Gundam Cafe which was cool.

My main itinerary is food. Ramen, sushi, sabu sabu, yakiniku, takoyaki, monja, and of course convenience store crap. Probably go out drinking a few times and order some bar food.

I'll also visit Kyoto and Osaka for a few days. It should be fun but the travel day is going to kill me.

Whenever I pass by the Maid Cafe at Otakon, the line is made up of at least 75% women.

Then again, there was also a big line at the Panty & Stocking stripper pole at the FUNimation booth.

Not really anime related but I'll be leaving for a trip to Japan on Wednesday. I'm staying in the Shinjuku area and I'll be there for a couple weeks. I'll hit up Ikebukuru a few times. They have a pretty cool store called Animate which has nothing but anime/video game merchandise.

No plans to go to Akihabara this time around but I have been trying to convince my wife to go with me to a maid cafe but she wont budge. I'm not really into that stuff but I just want to go for shits and giggles. She doesn't mind if I go but I really don't want to go alone, looks kinda sad. But I have been to the Gundam Cafe which was cool.

My main itinerary is food. Ramen, sushi, sabu sabu, yakiniku, takoyaki, monja, and of course convenience store crap. Probably go out drinking a few times and order some bar food.

I'll also visit Kyoto and Osaka for a few days. It should be fun but the travel day is going to kill me.
Animate is a chain, so you might come across more than just the one in Ikebukuro. Almost all of them have the exact same inventory, though.

I'd offer to show you around the Osaka area, but my schedule is a bit hectic these next couple weeks. There's so much to see and do in Osaka and Kyoto - have a good time!

Thanks for the offer. My father in-law is from Osaka so I'll have a pretty good guide, but we're just going to be there 1 day.

Any good place to recommend for takoyaki or pretty much just any street vender will do?

Thanks for the offer. My father in-law is from Osaka so I'll have a pretty good guide, but we're just going to be there 1 day.

Any good place to recommend for takoyaki or pretty much just any street vender will do?
Takoyaki is everywhere in the Osaka area, and it's all pretty much equal. Or at least, I haven't had any that's truly exceptional among the rest - it's all delicious.

So has anyone seen "Monster"? I've read about half of the manga about 7 years ago but I'm wondering how the anime is?
One of my absolute favorites! The anime is probably the most faithful manga-to-anime adaptation I've ever seen. Some people complain that the anime is slow-paced, but I think it's just perfect. If you want to experience the story in a new way, it's worth your time.

The anime was neverfully released in America, though. If you want to watch it legally you'll have to subscribe to Neon Alley or have a region-free DVD player.

Monster is thrilling! I watched it all the way through and although it's slow, I found it nail-bitingly effective. It's basically a manga / anime if Hitchcock was into that kind of thing.

bread's done
Back