Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='lilman']This news is a few months old but I didn't come across it until today. The World God Only Knows anime has been licensed by Sentai and the first season English dub will release Jan 24:
www.amazon.com/World-God-Only-Knows-Collection/dp/B005XB8T54/

The second season should be released later in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're kind of late to the party, haha. My copy has been reserved at Right Stuf for quite some time now. I'm just waiting for them to ship it out.

I imagine that the English dub is going to be pure gold, since it has a great cast; Chris Patton plays Keima and Luci Christian plays Elsie. Only great things can come from this duo being brought together again!

However, there is one thing about the English dub that weirds me out. Why is Hilary Haag playing two of the girls?! Hilary Haag plays as Mio and Shiori. No one thought to say, "We should probably have a different voice actor for each girl that Keima conquers." Oh well, maybe she plays both characters vastly different. We'll just have to see.

Hilary haag doesn't just have her OMG WTF freakout voice, I seem to remember another voice she could do that didn't sound like her other voices.

[quote name='Razzuel']Chris Patton plays Keima and Luci Christian plays Elsie... Hilary Haag plays as Mio and Shiori.[/QUOTE]
The World Sousuke Only Knows?

That sounds awesome, really looking forward to this. I've loved the manga and never checked out the anime sub.

Next we need an English dub for Hayate...

Since Bakemonogatari is so highly praised and Crunchyroll is streaming its sequel, Nisemonogatari, I thought it would be a good idea to watch Bakemonogatari.

Well, I just finished it and I didn't like it at all. I thought it was an incredibly boring, episodic talk-a-thon. Outside of a few short action sequences, the whole show is just people standing around talking. I guess that would be fine if they were saying anything interesting, but I found it quite unremarkable. It doesn't help that the show felt like a pile of cliches that weren't executed well. It's another show about an altruistic high school boy that helps out a handful of girls and all the girls fall in love with him. There's also a bunch of anime in-jokes and a handful of moments of fanservice that felt pretty stupid.

Also, I usually like Shaft's visual flair, but Bakemonogatari did nothing for me. It felt like the books that the show was based on weren't particularly interesting, so they had to make up for that fact with visual flair.

I also felt like Bakemonogatari wasn't as great as people made it out to be. When I first started watching it as it was airing, it felt like a refreshing new type of show. But when I went back to finish it some months later, it didn't seem like anything special at all. And like you said, it's just a lot of (mostly meaningless) talk.

Its a shame about Bandai.The anime market doesn't seem so great in the US these days.From what I've heard Funimation is having some trouble too and their parent company was looking to sell them off although I'm not sure if they're still looking to or not.

This is pretty sad for me.I preordered Evangelion 2.22 You cannot advance dvd and just finally saw it about a couple days ago on the funimation channel when it was on a free preview and decided to dvr it so it'd be in HD and just now got around to watching it.Have to say theres a lot of parts within the movie that just made me feel like rewatching the show again rather then watching for the most part the rehashing of things with tweaks to it.The ending was nice but have to say was a bit disappointed in it,maybe its just a case of been there and done that,that came across while watching it a little too often for me.Still looking forward to the next two though.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Its a shame about Bandai.The anime market doesn't seem so great in the US these days.From what I've heard Funimation is having some trouble too and their parent company was looking to sell them off although I'm not sure if they're still looking to or not.

This is pretty sad for me.I preordered Evangelion 2.22 You cannot advance dvd and just finally saw it about a couple days ago on the funimation channel when it was on a free preview and decided to dvr it so it'd be in HD and just now got around to watching it.Have to say theres a lot of parts within the movie that just made me feel like rewatching the show again rather then watching for the most part the rehashing of things with tweaks to it.The ending was nice but have to say was a bit disappointed in it,maybe its just a case of been there and done that,that came across while watching it a little too often for me.Still looking forward to the next two though.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect?Anime is a niche product here.Most anime fans feel entitled which doesn't help the industry.Also doesn't help that Adult Swim doesn't really air any anime anymore,which like Toonami was a gateway to new anime fans.

Its a shame and sadly one I don't think has a good solution for.I imagine the best thing you can do is what some people like funimation have started doing,offering a lot of their stuff for free with some advertisements.Seems about like the only thing you can do to generate some sort of income and hope people will go to you for it instead.Just a problem overall with the entertainment industry figuring out a model to bring in money without something like SOPA.

A lot anime is pretty mainstream in the states, it's just they've really milked that market for all it was worth. They ran it forever, and now there's no anime to be seen for even those looking for it on cable, so I don't see how they expect people to drop obscene amounts of money on episodic DVDs, much less dive in on complete sets.

People would go nuts if they saw something like Gundam Unicorn over here, but no, it's a $60 bluray for one episode.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Just finished Gunbuster and Diebuster for the first time the other day, It was sooo good. I started watching the princess jellyfish and like it so far.[/QUOTE]

Gunbuster is fucking amazing. I like Evangelion and all, but damn Gunbuster might be my favorite of Hideaki Anno's work. It's exactly the type of science fiction in space that I love. It's a realistic future with a lot of care put into its world, and Noriko is such a great character. Also, time dilation!

Diebuster was good, but I didn't like it as much as Gunbuster. It's just a totally different type of show.

Also, Princess Jellyfish is fantastic. It's hilarious and it has characters I cared about. Everyone should totally buy it when Funimation releases it on Blu-ray and DVD in February! I know I already have it preordered!

[quote name='Magiblaze']Its a shame and sadly one I don't think has a good solution for.I imagine the best thing you can do is what some people like funimation have started doing,offering a lot of their stuff for free with some advertisements.Seems about like the only thing you can do to generate some sort of income and hope people will go to you for it instead.Just a problem overall with the entertainment industry figuring out a model to bring in money without something like SOPA.[/QUOTE]Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate. Toonami was the initial gateway for me getting into anime. I absolutely love it and continue watching it. Sucks to see some go under.

[quote name='themaster20000']What do you expect?Anime is a niche product here.Most anime fans feel entitled which doesn't help the industry.Also doesn't help that Adult Swim doesn't really air any anime anymore,which like Toonami was a gateway to new anime fans.[/QUOTE]There are a lot who go to anime conventions.

I finished all the Full Metal Panics. Fumoffu was funny, while 2nd Raid was interested. First one was good. I still prefer other mecha anime like Gundam though.

I'm currently watching Toradora! It hasn't hooked me yet, but I'll keep watching.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate. Toonami was the initial gateway for me getting into anime. I absolutely love it and continue watching it. Sucks to see some go under.

There are a lot who go to anime conventions.

I finished all the Full Metal Panics. Fumoffu was funny, while 2nd Raid was interested. First one was good. I still prefer other mecha anime like Gundam though.

I'm currently watching Toradora! It hasn't hooked me yet, but I'll keep watching.[/QUOTE]

Still niche if you ask me.It's not like in the 1990's and early 2000's when the whole anime boom was going on here.It's a dying industry here and it's only going to get worse.

Anyways almost finished with the first season of The Slayers.Excellent parody of the whole fantasy genre and a good dub too.

[quote name='themaster20000']Still niche if you ask me.It's not like in the 1990's and early 2000's when the whole anime boom was going on here.It's a dying industry here and it's only going to get worse.[/QUOTE]What I technically mean is that anime conventions continue to see growth each year in attendance. The average age of those people attending the conventions is typically around 15-20. The big problem I notice is that very few are actually willing to buy anime (out of most anyone I know, very few do unfortunately, and they think I'm crazy for buying).

I would not deny that anime isn't really mainstream, but I definitely feel it's far from dying here.

I think anime is one of those things that will keep growing its fanbase here in the US, just that most people would rather download it off of a site rather right then with no waiting then watch it on some cable tv channel at whatever timeslot its thrown in at.Things like Netflixs and Hulu even, just hard to find a platform to get people to pay for it these days.If there was some sort of data I would think anime fans percentage % wise are more likely to watch their shows somewhere else like at their desk or phone rather then most tv shows on cable.

Long-time anime fans I think are so used to fansub releases that it's more habit than anything. Some of the more recent fans may not have that attachment, but with the recent practice of companies like Funimation and Sentai of releasing subbed releases in-time with the Japanese broadcast I imagine that more people will turn to fansubs for those series that don't get that treatment.

It's interesting to see how things have progressed over the years. I still remember shipping fansub tapes through the mail - some third and fourth generation copies - because it was the only way to see them.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']What I technically mean is that anime conventions continue to see growth each year in attendance. The average age of those people attending the conventions is typically around 15-20. The big problem I notice is that very few are actually willing to buy anime (out of most anyone I know, very few do unfortunately, and they think I'm crazy for buying).

I would not deny that anime isn't really mainstream, but I definitely feel it's far from dying here.[/QUOTE]

My experience has been pretty similar to yours I find a show has to be a top tier triple A release before my friends will even consider buying it. Pirating just became too easy and the video quality finally got to a level where it became a hard argument to justify owning a physical copy of the same thing that you need to pay for.

[quote name='thelonepig']Long-time anime fans I think are so used to fansub releases that it's more habit than anything. Some of the more recent fans may not have that attachment, but with the recent practice of companies like Funimation and Sentai of releasing subbed releases in-time with the Japanese broadcast I imagine that more people will turn to fansubs for those series that don't get that treatment.

It's interesting to see how things have progressed over the years. I still remember shipping fansub tapes through the mail - some third and fourth generation copies - because it was the only way to see them.[/QUOTE]

What's your definition of a "long-time" fan? I might be an oddity, but back in '97 I started to buy anime DVD's and now have moved into the realm of anime blu-rays.

While I did dabble in fansubs in '98 through Sailor Moon, I can't say it had an influence on me to not buy legit releases. I'd venture to say that a lot of fans who started at the dawn of DVD are most likely now still buying legit physical releases if they are in fact still fans of anime.

I think younger fans feel far more entitled and scoff at the thought of actually paying for anime whether it be through legit streaming fees or physical copies.

[quote name='kaikou']What's your definition of a "long-time" fan? I might be an oddity, but back in '97 I started to buy anime DVD's and now have moved into the realm of anime blu-rays.

While I did dabble in fansubs in '98 through Sailor Moon, I can't say it had an influence on me to not buy legit releases. I'd venture to say that a lot of fans who started at the dawn of DVD are most likely now still buying legit physical releases if they are in fact still fans of anime.

I think younger fans feel far more entitled and scoff at the thought of actually paying for anime whether it be through legit streaming fees or physical copies.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point as well. I've been watching anime since the mid-80s, which I'd certainly consider "long-time." I'm basically referring to anyone that has been watching anime since around the time digital subbing/distribution became available.

As one who routinely spent $20 - $30 on VHS tapes with two to four episodes on them, I do find anime rather inexpensive in its current form. Even so, I typically watch shows as they air in Japan and only purchase those that I will watch again. It's not a conscious decision to not support US distribution, I'm just keen to keep up with shows as they air.

I've begun watching Initial D series 2, and I'm not impressed with the animation. Sure everybody looks more human and the car races look just as good, but I can't help but feel they should've stuck with the older style of combining computer graphics and cel animation instead of making a complete shift to it. Everybody looks so disembodied now, and the panning is just freakin' annoying.

Ahh here is the Anime thread.

Does anyone know who currently holds the US licensing rights for Outlaw Star?

I know it was Bandai Entertainment, but I thought I read in another thread that they were shutting down.

[quote name='slowdive21']Ahh here is the Anime thread.

Does anyone know who currently holds the US licensing rights for Outlaw Star?

I know it was Bandai Entertainment, but I thought I read in another thread that they were shutting down.[/QUOTE]

It's still Bandai that holds the license. They're only open in a limited capacity for now, but it's mostly to license stuff to other companies. Also anything they've released in the past & can still print will still be sold. It's just there will be no new titles being released by them.

As for Outlaw Star, if you're wondering about the DVDs, the complete collection is still in print. But if you're wondering about a possible Blu-Ray, that won't happen as that would be a new title for them. Only way that would happen is if they licensed it to another company or Bandai Visual Japan released it in japan & sold copies here(like they're doing with Gundam Unicorn).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tangytangerine']It's still Bandai that holds the license. They're staying open in a somewhat limited capacity for now , but it's mostly to license stuff to other properties. Also anything they've released in the past & can still print will still be sold. It's just there will no new titles being released by them.

As for Outlaw Star, if you're wondering about the DVDs, the complete collection is still in print. But if you're wondering about a possible Blu-Ray, that won't happen as that would be a new title for them. Only way that would happen is if they licensed it to another company or Bandai Visual Japan released it in japan & sold copies here(like they're doing with Gundam Unicorn).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! I would love a blu-ray version, but the reason I was asking is because I would like to produce some outlaw star branded items like t-shirts, toys, prop replicas, etc.

I have a friend who licensed dragonball characters to print personal checks (like when you order them in the mail) and the contracts basically allowed use of any existing image or they could make their own images to produce any item they wanted for a set amount of time.

I am looking to do the same type of contract, so that everything is legal.

another thing to remember is if you're old school and grew up on fansubs the american companies and state of the industry in america has basically no effect on you. you don't watch dubs, you don't need physical copies, so you don't really need them.

sure it sucks that the artist doesn't get any money in that scenario. i would pay a monthly fee for a site that gave me full torrent downloads (or a netflixian interface on 360/PS3) of subtitled series without a second thought. crunchyroll's website interface doesn't jive with my setup so it's not convenient to marathon 20 eps.

Reborn's finally made me pretty excited for the first time in years. Tsuna's fighting and he has just gone back to his roots with using the zero point break through.
I think the think that's hurt the manga so much is the constant introducing of new weapons and such.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Reborn's finally made me pretty excited for the first time in years. Tsuna's fighting and he has just gone back to his roots with using the zero point break through.
I think the think that's hurt the manga so much is the constant introducing of new weapons and such.[/QUOTE]

Seeing Reborn for the first time (in his adult form) was probably the best moment of the series for me. And the fact that Tsuna was completely oblvious to it made it all the more entertaining. Can't wait to see his showdown with Iemitsu.

I watched all the Reborn anime and like it well enough but after the rings, and then the boxes, I didn't really want to see a new gimmick.

[quote name='GhostShark']Seeing Reborn for the first time (in his adult form) was probably the best moment of the series for me. And the fact that Tsuna was completely oblvious to it made it all the more entertaining. Can't wait to see his showdown with Iemitsu.[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I've only watched the anime. I don't want to hear about what happens afterward in the manga. I can't hear you. La la la la la.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I watched all the Reborn anime and like it well enough but after the rings, and then the boxes, I didn't really want to see a new gimmick.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying. Things went down hill with the future arc with the boxes and the special vongola animal boxes that turn into weapons too. And then the next arc which all of a sudden introduced 8 new types of flames that apparently only one family can use.

Seeing Tsuna use the zero point break through at this point gave me a bit of a boner, if he freezes someone's flames, I'll probably jizz in my pants.

Finished both seasons of Rosario + Vampire Funimation dub. I had heard it was fanservice, but I didn't expect it to be as overdone as it was. It's a shame cause the underlying story and characters had potential for something more than just panty shots. I have to hand it to them on the second op though:
Rewatched Dragon Ball (the original five seasons, not Z). The end of the last season turns into Z-style drawn out muscle displays, but the rest of the series is a great fighting-oriented adventure with an enjoyable story and good amount of humor. Next up is rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Watched the first two seasons of Shin Chan through Netflix streaming. Hadn't seen this series since it aired on Adult Swim (or maybe it was Toonami) years ago. I need to pick up the DVDs some day, such a funny series.

Started watching the first season of The World God Only Knows Sentai dub. Luci Christian as Elsie = epic win! Chris Patton seems to be a good fit for Keima. I'm loving the art style, and at least for the one episode I've seen so far, they seem to have captured the feeling of the manga. The op is stuck in my head :3

[quote name='lilman']Finished both seasons of Rosario + Vampire Funimation dub. I had heard it was fanservice, but I didn't expect it to be as overdone as it was. It's a shame cause the underlying story and characters had potential for something more than just panty shots. I have to hand it to them on the second op though:
Rewatched Dragon Ball (the original five seasons, not Z). The end of the last season turns into Z-style drawn out muscle displays, but the rest of the series is a great fighting-oriented adventure with an enjoyable story and good amount of humor. Next up is rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Started watching the first season of The World God Only Knows Sentai dub. Luci Christian as Elsie = epic win! Chris Patton seems to be a good fit for Keima. I'm loving the art style, and at least for the one episode I've seen so far, they seem to have captured the feeling of the manga. The op is stuck in my head :3[/QUOTE]

The manga of Rosario+Vampire was way better than that trash show.The show destroyed the characters,had shitty jokes,and way too much fan service,hell the manga doesn't even have any fan service.

[quote name='themaster20000']The manga of Rosario+Vampire was way better than that trash show.The show destroyed the characters,had shitty jokes,and way too much fan service,hell the manga doesn't even have any fan service.[/QUOTE]
O rly? In that case I'll check out the manga since I liked the premise and characters.

[quote name='lilman']O rly? In that case I'll check out the manga since I liked the premise and characters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the anime really screwed everything. The main thing that was messed with was the story. Read the manga if you want a more serious & different story, with bits of jokes shown once & awhile like
finding out Ruby is a masochist when being shocked

Since you've seen the anime, parts of the manga might seem familiar(although they're a bit altered in the anime). But it pays off in the story if you were tired of the overload of fan service. And it still being published, as there's a 10-volume set that's finished(basically season 1) and still ongoing Season 2(yeah, the manga put that in the title).

I bought Redline on Blu-ray when it came out last month, and I immediately watched it thereafter. It's pretty damn amazing. It's one of the most visually impressive animated movies I've ever seen, if not the most impressive. The story isn't particularly unique, but the characters like JP, Sonoshee, and Frisbee make it something special. Also, Redline is just a ton of fun; I couldn't help but have a stupid grin on my face throughout most of the movie.

[quote name='lilman']Watched the first two seasons of Shin Chan through Netflix streaming. Hadn't seen this series since it aired on Adult Swim (or maybe it was Toonami) years ago. I need to pick up the DVDs some day, such a funny series.

Started watching the first season of The World God Only Knows Sentai dub. Luci Christian as Elsie = epic win! Chris Patton seems to be a good fit for Keima. I'm loving the art style, and at least for the one episode I've seen so far, they seem to have captured the feeling of the manga. The op is stuck in my head :3[/QUOTE]I agree with both of these sentiments. I loved Shin Chan when it aired on adult swim and have purchased the first two seasons of dvd and will eventually pick up the third, too. I also enjoyed the first episode The World God Only Knows, and can't wait to see the rest.

Oh yeah, free VOD FTW!

Recently rewatched Summer Wars and the Girl who Leapt Through Time. Both super movies, went and downloaded both soundtracks after too which are good too.

I know this is a pretty crap thing to ask, but can you guys suggest some animes along the lines of Evangelion, FLCL or Akira? I'm more of a movie guy myself, but I like psychological, adult anime. I prefer shorter anime that I don't have to commit 30+ episodes to as well as having some sort of substance to it, where it could possibly make somebody think in a different way (which 1% of anime I've seen has done). Also, not to be a drag, but does anybody else get sick of the coming of age story of a male protagonist in middle school who is too shy or introverted to go out and do things, but is pushed by strong females to do so? The only good ones I've seen are Eva and FLCL.
It's like the people making these have degrees in marketing and are making fun of us as viewers (as being awkward, virgin boys in middle school with absolutely no drive).

[quote name='thelonepig']Gankutsuou.[/QUOTE]

It looks pretty innovative. I'll check that one out. Thanks. From the synopsis it seems like he has a decent drive so that's always a nice change of pace.

[quote name='RomieYO']I know this is a pretty crap thing to ask, but can you guys suggest some animes along the lines of Evangelion, FLCL or Akira? I'm more of a movie guy myself, but I like psychological, adult anime. I prefer shorter anime that I don't have to commit 30+ episodes to as well as having some sort of substance to it, where it could possibly make somebody think in a different way (which 1% of anime I've seen has done). Also, not to be a drag, but does anybody else get sick of the coming of age story of a male protagonist in middle school who is too shy or introverted to go out and do things, but is pushed by strong females to do so? The only good ones I've seen are Eva and FLCL.
It's like the people making these have degrees in marketing and are making fun of us as viewers (as being awkward, virgin boys in middle school with absolutely no drive).[/QUOTE]

Mawaru Penguindrum and (even though it's longer than 30 episodes - 39, to be exact) Revolutionary Girl Utena. Oh, and as long as I already broke that episodes rule, Monster.

Gankutsuou is brilliant. Monster is brilliant (but i find the anime be too slow compared to the manga). Utena is alright but it gets really weird and sketchy later on in the show and is sort of overtly homosexual which may or may not be your thing.

Don't crucify me for saying this but if you have netflix give Fruits basket a try, RomieYO, you can also watch it on Hulu, I think. It's an anime that makes you think, and it is psychological, though not quite in hte way like stuff like paranoia agent, or Technolyze, but it is still psychological, don't be fooled by the shoujo looks, it's a great show. Another good one is Fushigi yugi, which, btw seems to have been license rescued, because rightstuf is selling the first season. I recommend that show to everyone.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Utena is alright but it gets really creative and amazing later on in the show and is sort of overtly brilliant which may or may not be your thing.[/QUOTE]

Fixed! :D

But seriously, Utena is one of those shows that offers something new for its audience upon every viewing, with tons of depth and plenty to ponder about. It's exactly what RomieYO is looking for.

bread's done
Back